New Uniforms?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: New Uniforms?

Post by Mothman »

jackal wrote:Who cares as long as there is Packers blood and tears on them SKOL !!!!
:rofl:
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote: So whats the difference between the jersey I bought at the NFLshop and the nike elite jersey your referring to? I really don't know.
Authentic > Replica :D
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by majorm »

I'm pretty pleased. I just miss the gold border around the numbers. I really like that. Makes the numbers pop. But I can live with it. Or without it I guess.

I'm just so glad they went a bit retro and not modern like the HORRIBLE unis the Broncos have now. Among other teams. There are some that are just atrocious!
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

majorm wrote:I'm pretty pleased. I just miss the gold border around the numbers. I really like that. Makes the numbers pop. But I can live with it. Or without it I guess.

I'm just so glad they went a bit retro and not modern like the HORRIBLE unis the Broncos have now. Among other teams. There are some that are just atrocious!
The Broncos have now worn that uniform for 16 years and won two Super Bowls wearing it. I dare say most Bronco fans consider it the standard now. I don't think they're half as bad as the godawful Vikings uniforms from 2006 to 2012.

Still not sure how I feel about this new uniform. I think some Nike rep did a major sales job on Zygi and Company and that Zygi is looking to make a few bucks off the change more than anything else. Could have been much simpler, much more classic.
DarthBrooks
Transition Player

Post by DarthBrooks »

This is what the number set for the Vikings should look like more or less.
I went over it and did a second version - this one removes serif collisions.
Basically a serif (the "tails" that bug so many ) stays if it's up against a curve but not if it's up against a flat surface.
bigskyeric
All Pro Elite Player

Post by bigskyeric »

Since its essentially a 'sail' from the ship... shouldn't it be on the second number? or both?
Seek and Destroy
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

bigskyeric wrote:Since its essentially a 'sail' from the ship... shouldn't it be on the second number? or both?
That's what I was thinking... But the font doesn't look too bad. I an't wait to get my own jersey!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

DarthBrooks wrote: I went over it and did a second version - this one removes serif collisions.

Basically a serif (the "tails" that bug so many ) stays if it's up against a curve but not if it's up against a flat surface.
I don't see any advantage to the second treatment. In fact, it makes even less sense to me.

What seems arbitrary are the rounded corners on the new font. Why not some of the other corners, such as the bottom left corner of the 2, left-side corners of the 5, or corners on the 7?
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

PurpleMustReign wrote: That's what I was thinking... But the font doesn't look too bad. I an't wait to get my own jersey!
It's supposed to call to mind the bow of a Viking ship, not the sail.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: I asked the NFLShop's twitter and they said something like "We do not know when we that will be available, keep checking back."

I'm going to assume they'll be for sale by June online. They'll probably be available in stores in Minnesota before they are online.
I sell NFL merchandise at my job. There is no time line on when the Elite style is coming in yet, or the Limited Style either. An educated guess says around Training camp, but that is not official. It's difficult to tell what we are looking at because this is only Nike's 2nd time making major changes to NFL jerseys since they took over the license. Seattle was the only team that made serious changes last year. It's no coincidence Seattle was the last to launch, being that we have three teams switching this time around... who knows.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

nightowl wrote: I sell NFL merchandise at my job. There is no time line on when the Elite style is coming in yet, or the Limited Style either. An educated guess says around Training camp, but that is not official. It's difficult to tell what we are looking at because this is only Nike's 2nd time making major changes to NFL jerseys since they took over the license. Seattle was the only team that made serious changes last year. It's no coincidence Seattle was the last to launch, being that we have three teams switching this time around... who knows.
I am just curious is all. I know that one could buy the elite Nike jerseys last year beginning in late May and early June.

Thanks for the information!
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: I am just curious is all. I know that one could buy the elite Nike jerseys last year beginning in late May and early June.

Thanks for the information!
No problem, for what it's worth I went to work this week and I noticed we had restocked on 49ers Elite jersey's... at least the custom ones. We had been Out of Stock for months on those. Maybe it's a quirk, maybe the start of restocking ramp up. We also had a new batch of Nike t-shirts too. If I hear anything Concrete that I can share, I'll pass it along.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:I ordered my Game (replica) Harrison Smith jersey from NFL Shop draft weekend and still didn't get it. It said expect your items between 5-15 and 5-22, well 5-22 is Wednesday and it still hasn't even ship yet. Just says "Items located in stock" and has for a while now.

I guess they still haven't stocked them yet.
Huh. Weird.

I ordered a Greg Jennings jersey on the Thursday of the draft. It arrived last week.

OTOH, I ordered a Sharrif Floyd and Xavier Rhodes jersey and I haven't heard anything about those two. However, given that rookie jerseys take forever to ship, I am not too surprised.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Here's how most teams have done following a major uniform change in recent years. IMO it doesn't look like a uniform change has much effect on how a team does that year. It certainly didn't help the Vikings in '06, but then again that was our first year with Chiller and the KAO too lol.

Broncos 1996 (13-3 playoffs) --> 1997 (12-4 won the super bowl)
Giants 1999 (7-9) --> 2000 (12-4 lost the super bowl)
Chargers 2006 (14-2 playoffs) --> 2007 (11-5 lost AFCCG)
Jets 1997 (9-7) --> 1998 (12-4 lost AFCCG)
Seahawks 2011 (7-9) --> 2012 (11-5 playoffs)
Bucs 1996 (6-10) --> 1997 (10-6 playoffs)

Eagles 1995 (10-6 playoffs) --> 1996 (10-6 playoffs)
49ers 2008 (7-9) --> 2009 (8-8)
Bengals 2003 (8-8) --> 2004 (8-8)
Bills 2010 (4-12) --> 2011 (6-10)
Lions 2002 (3-13) --> 2003 (5-11)
Cardinals 2004 (6-10) --> 2005 (5-11)

Rams 1999 (13-3 won the super bowl) --> 2000 (10-6 playoffs)
Seahawks 2001 (9-7) --> 2002 (7-9 moved to the NFC)
Vikings 2005 (9-7) --> 2006 (6-10)
Falcons 2002 (9-6-1 playoffs) --> 2003 (5-11)
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh