Vikings QB of the future search list

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings QB of the future search list

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I understand that.

What irritates me is that Pauline's notion is pretty much in line with what we have seen from the team in the past decade or so. Time and time again we have seen this team over-rank certain players. Zach Mettenberger is far from the best QB in this draft. His mechanics need work, he tends to lock on to certain guys, and he is coming off an ACL injury. When the was the last time LSU produced a good quarterback? Les Miles' offensive scheme is a good one, but it really is tailored to the QB. It is why we have seen every QB coming out of LSU not being able to translate anything in the NFL.

I am not an NFL GM, but I don't see how a front office could sit there and think that Zach Mettenberger is the best QB in this draft for them over guys like Derek Carr, Teddy Bridgewater, Johhny Manziel, and Blake Bortles. I mean, if you are sitting there at number eight and you have Teddy Bridgewater/Johnny Manziel/Derek Carr on the board I don't see how you could pass on either of them for the hope that you can potentially draft Zach Mettenberger later.

I am sick and tired of the crap we have trotted at quarterback over the years. It is time to get this position right for a change. Drafting Zach Mettenberger isn't the right step in accomplishing this.
Why get worked up about the Vikings over-ranking Mettenberger when we have no idea where they have him on their board or if they'd even draft him at all? Their plans are unknown at this point so if you understand that Tony Pauline probably knows exactly nothing about what the Vikes actually plan to do, there's no point in getting upset about about a rumor he's putting out there.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Mothman wrote: Why get worked up about the Vikings over-ranking Mettenberger when we have no idea where they have him on their board or if they'd even draft him at all? Their plans are unknown at this point so if you understand that Tony Pauline probably knows exactly nothing about what the Vikes actually plan to do, there's no point in getting upset about about a rumor he's putting out there.
Is sports journalism always absolute? Of course not. However, reports like these (in which others attest to) aren't always just out of the blue.

Why am I upset? Because I don't trust this front office to make the right choice at quarterback. Why should I? Rick Spielman has done a good job here in Minnesota outside of the most important position on the team. However, given Rick Spielman's history, it would be absolutely foolish to trust Spielman to draft the right QB this time around. It honestly would not surprise me if Spielman has Mettenberger rated as one of the highest QBs on his draft board. I mean, we are talking about a guy who thought A.J. Feely was worthy of trading a second round pick for.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Loki
Veteran

Post by Loki »

OK, I've been hearing a lot of the rumors about Zach Mettenberer, as many of you have, and I just wanted to give my thoughts on it. I'm OK with Mettenberger if we decide to wait, but only if we take him in the 3rd or trade back into the late 2nd round and even then it's only if the top 4 QB's and Garropolo, Murray and McCarron are gone. Mettenberger in my opinion has the best circumstances to succeed out of any of the QB's I listed. Manziel has a good line and Mike Evans but no running game and a terrible defense. Everyone seems to say Evans Made Manziel, but If you take away Evans stats from Manziels you're still left with the same yardage and more TD's than Mettenberger. Mettenberger has the advantage of having a 1st round receiver (Odell Beckham JR.) and a 2nd round reciever (Jarvis Landry), A solid Line (not bamma good, but solid), A domminant run game perfect to set up play action bombs with his cannon arm to two NFL recievers, and a solid Defense (again not bamma good, but solid). He did put up good numbers (not great), but for perspective on these numbers Jamarcus Russels numbers were better (senior season, and career) and Matt Flynns numbers (senior season) were identical, with Flynn getting the edge because of rushing touchdowns. Statistically when compared with the other top QB's he looks solid coming in at 4th in Passer Efficiancy Rating, but when you combine that with the facts that he has the fewest attempts, by a solid margin, of anyone in the top 10 besides Connor Shaw, and that his completion percentage is lower than the top 4 QB's, Tajh Boyd, AJ McCarron, and is Identical with Aaron Murray its really not that impressive. He is also 3rd in yards per attempt (Manziel was 4th without a running game to suck in the Defense), which basically proves my point that everything he gets is a product of the running game sucking the defense in and him throwing deep. While he would have this advantage with us, I'd rather have someone whos proven to succeed without that advantage and be given it as a bonus.

When it comes down to it he is at best a 3rd round pick, only reason I said i'd trade into the second to grab him is out of pure desperation that we had passed on all QB's and he is the only one left out of the ones I listed. I'm sick of people just looking at his cannon arm and good mechanics and saying we should take him in the second. He has upside because of those things, but he's far from the complete package. There will be some linebacker, Cornerback, Saftey, or Guard that falls out of the first round that would be worth a lot more in the 2nd than Mettenberger.

Sorry for ranting lol I just feel like a lot of people here simply say "I like _______" or "I don't like _______". I base my opinions on film study and statistical analysis and I'd appreciate it if more people stated specifics/statistics for there reasons on liking someone.
ON TO VALHALLA
Loki
Veteran

Post by Loki »

here is the link to the stats I was talking about if you want to look into them yourself: http://espn.go.com/college-football/sta ... t/passing/
ON TO VALHALLA
Loki
Veteran

Post by Loki »

Also forgot to mention the fact that he was slow as #### BEFORE his acl tear, so the Ben Roethlisberger comparisions don't really hold up, because Ben can escape pressure pretty well for his size. Mettenberger does a good job of moving up in the pocket, but he has ZERO ability to escape pressure when flushed out.
ON TO VALHALLA
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Loki wrote:Also forgot to mention the fact that he was slow as #### BEFORE his acl tear, so the Ben Roethlisberger comparisions don't really hold up, because Ben can escape pressure pretty well for his size. Mettenberger does a good job of moving up in the pocket, but he has ZERO ability to escape pressure when flushed out.
And as far as his arm strength, I watched a few of his games, and seems like while he has the strength, a lot of his passes don't really have the zip they should. He can get the ball down field, but feels like it takes longer than it should to get there. Even compared to some of the prospects that have questions about how strong their arms really are. Was I imagining it?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Is sports journalism always absolute? Of course not. However, reports like these (in which others attest to) aren't always just out of the blue.

Why am I upset? Because I don't trust this front office to make the right choice at quarterback. Why should I? Rick Spielman has done a good job here in Minnesota outside of the most important position on the team. However, given Rick Spielman's history, it would be absolutely foolish to trust Spielman to draft the right QB this time around. It honestly would not surprise me if Spielman has Mettenberger rated as one of the highest QBs on his draft board. I mean, we are talking about a guy who thought A.J. Feely was worthy of trading a second round pick for.
Yes, he did that a decade ago...I don't think the trade for Feeley is particularly relevant at this point.

I get that you don't trust the front office to make the right choice at QB but does that mean any choice they make will automatically be the wrong one?

Whether any of us trust him to make a good decision or not, Spielman is going to pick the Vikings next QB, undoubtedly with input from Norv Turner (who does know something about the position) and Mike Zimmer. Why not keep an open mind about it? Again, what's the point in getting upset over a rumor that the Vikings might like a QB who, for all we know, could actually end up being successful in the NFL anyway?
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

Loki wrote:OK, I've been hearing a lot of the rumors about Zach Mettenberer, as many of you have, and I just wanted to give my thoughts on it. I'm OK with Mettenberger if we decide to wait, but only if we take him in the 3rd or trade back into the late 2nd round and even then it's only if the top 4 QB's and Garropolo, Murray and McCarron are gone. Mettenberger in my opinion has the best circumstances to succeed out of any of the QB's I listed. Manziel has a good line and Mike Evans but no running game and a terrible defense. Everyone seems to say Evans Made Manziel, but If you take away Evans stats from Manziels you're still left with the same yardage and more TD's than Mettenberger. Mettenberger has the advantage of having a 1st round receiver (Odell Beckham JR.) and a 2nd round reciever (Jarvis Landry), A solid Line (not bamma good, but solid), A domminant run game perfect to set up play action bombs with his cannon arm to two NFL recievers, and a solid Defense (again not bamma good, but solid). He did put up good numbers (not great), but for perspective on these numbers Jamarcus Russels numbers were better (senior season, and career) and Matt Flynns numbers (senior season) were identical, with Flynn getting the edge because of rushing touchdowns. Statistically when compared with the other top QB's he looks solid coming in at 4th in Passer Efficiancy Rating, but when you combine that with the facts that he has the fewest attempts, by a solid margin, of anyone in the top 10 besides Connor Shaw, and that his completion percentage is lower than the top 4 QB's, Tajh Boyd, AJ McCarron, and is Identical with Aaron Murray its really not that impressive. He is also 3rd in yards per attempt (Manziel was 4th without a running game to suck in the Defense), which basically proves my point that everything he gets is a product of the running game sucking the defense in and him throwing deep. While he would have this advantage with us, I'd rather have someone whos proven to succeed without that advantage and be given it as a bonus.

When it comes down to it he is at best a 3rd round pick, only reason I said i'd trade into the second to grab him is out of pure desperation that we had passed on all QB's and he is the only one left out of the ones I listed. I'm sick of people just looking at his cannon arm and good mechanics and saying we should take him in the second. He has upside because of those things, but he's far from the complete package. There will be some linebacker, Cornerback, Saftey, or Guard that falls out of the first round that would be worth a lot more in the 2nd than Mettenberger.

Sorry for ranting lol I just feel like a lot of people here simply say "I like _______" or "I don't like _______". I base my opinions on film study and statistical analysis and I'd appreciate it if more people stated specifics/statistics for there reasons on liking someone.
I can't say I've crunched the numbers on him or anything, but from the games I watched Mettenberger, I really liked his arm obviously, but moreso his confidence in his arm to make big time, NFL quality throws. I don't feel like there's another QB in the draft who can throw into extremely tight windows like Mettenberger can. He obviously has a lot of things to work on, but I feel like that's one thing that's really hard to develop in a player, and there aren't many QBs who have that ability.

That said, I agree with you on Mettenberger being more of a late 2nd or 3rd round guy. I think he'll go in the third because of the ACL.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Fuel for the fire:

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... ger-at-lsu
The Minnesota Vikings will continue their hunt for a young quarterback in Baton Rouge, La., this week, when they attend LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger's pro day and meet with him individually after his workout, according to a league source.

The Vikings have the No. 8 pick in the draft, but had planned to meet with most of the prominent quarterbacks in this year's draft class. They're believed to be highly interested in Mettenberger, who has one of the strongest arms in this year's class, and if they were able to get the 6-foot-5 quarterback in the second round, they'd be able to address another position -- possibly on defense -- in the first round.
More at the link. Rage on, fellow Vikes fans! :rock:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Mel Kiper on when Vikings should take QB
"It’s incredible. There are about a dozen quarterbacks that could be starters, and out of those dozen, there are some that argue that all 12 of them will never be a successful starter," Kiper said. "This is a crazy year for quarterbacks. There is a lot of quantity, but how much quality is debatable. But if [Central Florida's Blake] Bortles is there at 8, unless they just don’t like Bortles, it would be tough to pass him up.

"The bottom line with the Vikings -- and I’ve said this for three months -- is, I don’t care who they like or don’t like, they’ve got to get a quarterback. And however they do it, they’ve got to get a lot better at quarterback. You can’t be the fourth team in the division at quarterback by a wide margin and have any chance of being any more than a borderline playoff team at best, and probably in the cellar, more than likely, if things at other positions don’t go your way."
More at the link, including some thoughts on the "sensational seven", the seven players Kiper feels are a cut above all of the others in this draft (and a group that doesn't include any QBs).
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:Mel Kiper on when Vikings should take QB
More at the link, including some thoughts on the "sensational seven", the seven players Kiper feels are a cut above all of the others in this draft (and a group that doesn't include any QBs).

Interesting article, thanks for the link. If he's right about the consensus on the "sensational 7" then it may just be that we have a crack at Manziel AND Bridgewater. The unfortunate thing is that there are 3 LTs and 2 WRs in that group of 7, not positions of need.

Trading back may be our best move.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Interesting article, thanks for the link. If he's right about the consensus on the "sensational 7" then it may just be that we have a crack at Manziel AND Bridgewater. The unfortunate thing is that there are 3 LTs and 2 WRs in that group of 7, not positions of need.
They're not positions of immediate need but an impact WR could still help them quite a bit and give them a successor to Jennings.
Trading back may be our best move.
It's possible and Spielman has already indicated that he wouldn't mind trading back.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: They're not positions of immediate need but an impact WR could still help them quite a bit and give them a successor to Jennings.
It's possible and Spielman has already indicated that he wouldn't mind trading back.

I'm fine with Watkins at 8, I think he's a steal there and would set us up great for when we finally DO find our QB. I'm afraid he'll go top 5 though, possibly even w/ someone trading up for him.

Evans at 8? I'm less enthusiastic, but he sure did bail out JFB a few times :P . He actually seems like a kind of WR that Turner would like to have. I can't wait to see what they do! It's still a month away! Arghhh!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:[I'm fine with Watkins at 8, I think he's a steal there and would set us up great for when we finally DO find our QB. I'm afraid he'll go top 5 though, possibly even w/ someone trading up for him.

Evans at 8? I'm less enthusiastic, but he sure did bail out JFB a few times :P . He actually seems like a kind of WR that Turner would like to have. I can't wait to see what they do! It's still a month away! Arghhh!
:lol: I know... I'm ready for the draft now. Curse them for making us wait even longer for it this year!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote:What was the point in moving the draft back in the 1st place?
A scheduling conflict:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... eld-in-may
The NFL draft is staying at Radio City Music Hall in 2014, sometime in May. After that, all bets are off.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell indicated Tuesday that the league is taking a harder look at moving out of the venue after 2014, and possibly out of New York entirely.

"If we want to move the draft back into the April period, we're going to have to look at other alternatives. Other cities, other venues," Goodell said at the NFL Spring Meeting.

Goodell confirmed the draft will be moved back to May because of a scheduling conflict; it could May 8-10 or May 15-17. Radio City Music Hall now is planning a spring show that could conflict with the draft's timing for years to come. Goodell said he wouldn't expect to revisit New York locations the league has used in the past.

"We haven't found the location in New York that meets our requirements and where we think we can continue to grow the event," Goodell said. "If we do, that will be one of the alternatives. I think one of the things we have to do at some point is start looking at other cities."