Cousins in the “big games”

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: Cousins in the “big games”

Post by halfgiz »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:55 am
halfgiz wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:43 am

Cousins can't win the important games because he self destructs...How was that 3rd quarter for him?
Between him and Zimmer we are just going to be an average team.
I guess you forgot Cousins won an important game against the Saints in the playoffs last year?
One team that Zimmer always does good playing.
You constantly harp that Cousins beat the Saints...Big Deal :D
How Cousins make out the following week.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:55 am
halfgiz wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:43 am

Cousins can't win the important games because he self destructs...How was that 3rd quarter for him?
Between him and Zimmer we are just going to be an average team.
Sorry but I just don’t buy that. Every game is an “important game”. Whether you’re playing the jets or the chiefs it doesn’t matter. Like I said above, cousins put the team in position to win last night. He didn’t make that call to mattison or miss a massive hole to the right. If we use our brain, cousins walks away a winner. We don’t and he walks away a loser. That’s not Kirk cousins fault
I think this was about as even a team loss as I've seen in a while. All aspects played well and poorly at the same time.

The offense killed the TOP. I didn't look at the stats, but I assume we had at least 170 yards rushing. But there were also costly turnovers that led to 14 points. They also couldn't put the game away when it was 4th and inches.

The defense did a great job of containing Wilson. Eric Wilson had a career game (sack, interception, TFL). But they also gave up key 4th downs and couldn't put the game away either.

Special teams, Bailey had a really good night. But Colquitt continues to struggle and Chisena needs to learn how to tackle.

Zimmer had a pretty solid defensive strategy, finally giving some safety help over the top for his corners. He showed a lot of aggression that mostly paid off. But then he had head scratching decisions. Even if you put the 4th down call aside, you're running a QB draw on a 2-point conversion with Cousins? Ouch.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Re: Cousins in the “big gam

Post by Foreman44 »

IMO, Cousins needs a Top 5 elite offensive line blocking for him to succeed.

He is ok if the teams defense is holding the opposing team with low points.

But he is not the ab like Rogers, Favre, Brady,Brees.when trailing by 10 or more points.that is going to drive this team to a win.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

IMO, Cousins needs a Top 5 elite offensive line blocking for him to succeed.

But he is not the ab like Rogers, Favre, Brady,Brees.when trailing by 10 or more points.that is going to drive this team to a win.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

No Words to even describe Cousins today. :whistle:
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

“This hasn't been easy for me guys. Every loss is like a dagger in my heart.” Said an emotional Kirk Cousins Sunday after losing to the Atlanta Falcons. “I just want to put my fans at peace, and let them know that losing is the last thing I want. I take it so hard. Making $33 million this season while losing, on the other hand. Incredibly easy. I could keep that up for years.”
https://www.thesportsmemery.com/article ... ggyeyvzxh5
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:48 pm He definitely showed some grit at the end. And thats what I want to see out of a QB is to not fold up like a burrito after a couple big mistakes. If anyone watched Jimmy G today, that was him through and through and ended up getting pulled at halftime. Cousins could've easily crumbled after those plays and we could've been blown out but he didnt which I commend him for that.
Are you really going to criticize Jimmy G last week when he tried to play through a high ankle sprain and couldn't even plant his back foot to throw a pass? I see Cousins reverted back to form this week against Atlanta and racked up a bunch of garbage time stats. :lol:
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:48 pm He definitely showed some grit at the end. And thats what I want to see out of a QB is to not fold up like a burrito after a couple big mistakes. If anyone watched Jimmy G today, that was him through and through and ended up getting pulled at halftime. Cousins could've easily crumbled after those plays and we could've been blown out but he didnt which I commend him for that.
Are you really going to criticize Jimmy G last week when he tried to play through a high ankle sprain and couldn't even plant his back foot to throw a pass? I see Cousins reverted back to form this week against Atlanta and racked up a bunch of garbage time stats. :lol: Also Jimmy G got a win tonight against a good Rams team.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Purple Reign wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:42 pm
Are you really going to criticize Jimmy G last week when he tried to play through a high ankle sprain and couldn't even plant his back foot to throw a pass? I see Cousins reverted back to form this week against Atlanta and racked up a bunch of garbage time stats. :lol: Also Jimmy G got a win tonight against a good Rams team.
I mean yeah I will criticize Jimmy G. I criticized Cousins this week. If a guy plays a bad game I have no problem calling that out. I know many SF fans arent thrilled with Jimmy G. Hell, rumor has it their coach isnt even thrilled with him and rumor has it, wanted Cousins more than Garoppolo.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Post by Fat Stupid Loser »

Foreman44 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:46 pm IMO, Cousins needs a Top 5 elite offensive line blocking for him to succeed.

He doesn't need an elite line. He needs a solid line, one that is not a turnstile interiorly. He is what he is. A very good QB. He knows what to do and when to do it. He knows where his receivers should be and when they should be there. He makes the reads and progressions. He has the tools. But he needs to have his receivers be where they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be there because that is how he prepares to play. The guy plans his day in 15 minute increments. He has to trust the receiver will be there, cause he's throwing it there because that is the right read. Its there if the receiver is. I don't think he has that trust with any of the receivers yet other than Theiland right now. So he doesn't make that throw. You can see him pull off those throws all the time now. Its different this year. He needs a line that can reliably give him the extra .5-1 second extra for the play to develop as it is designed because that's how he plays the game. Probably because that is just the way he is wired but also because, although more athletic than you think, he lacks the Wilson/Mahomes/Steve Young, escape gene. He just doesn't have that elusive thing that makes a really good QB, that guy. So solidify two positions on the O line and we have a solid, not elite line. That's enough.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Fat Stupid Loser wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:02 am
Foreman44 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:46 pm IMO, Cousins needs a Top 5 elite offensive line blocking for him to succeed.

He doesn't need an elite line. He needs a solid line, one that is not a turnstile interiorly. He is what he is. A very good QB. He knows what to do and when to do it. He knows where his receivers should be and when they should be there. He makes the reads and progressions. He has the tools. But he needs to have his receivers be where they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be there because that is how he prepares to play. The guy plans his day in 15 minute increments. He has to trust the receiver will be there, cause he's throwing it there because that is the right read. Its there if the receiver is. I don't think he has that trust with any of the receivers yet other than Theiland right now. So he doesn't make that throw. You can see him pull off those throws all the time now. Its different this year. He needs a line that can reliably give him the extra .5-1 second extra for the play to develop as it is designed because that's how he plays the game. Probably because that is just the way he is wired but also because, although more athletic than you think, he lacks the Wilson/Mahomes/Steve Young, escape gene. He just doesn't have that elusive thing that makes a really good QB, that guy. So solidify two positions on the O line and we have a solid, not elite line. That's enough.
That line doesn't exist. It is impossible to field an offensive line that can block for 3 seconds on average for a QB that is a statue in the pocket.

Essentially what you are saying is that if Cousins has all day to throw, and has great receivers, he will have success. What QB wouldn't?
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Post by Fat Stupid Loser »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:18 am
Fat Stupid Loser wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:02 am

That line doesn't exist. It is impossible to field an offensive line that can block for 3 seconds on average for a QB that is a statue in the pocket.

Essentially what you are saying is that if Cousins has all day to throw, and has great receivers, he will have success. What QB wouldn't?
Lines that can block for 3 seconds don't exist? Falling down in front of somebody ought to buy 3 seconds. 3 seconds is nothing.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Fat Stupid Loser wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:58 am
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:18 am

Lines that can block for 3 seconds don't exist? Falling down in front of somebody ought to buy 3 seconds. 3 seconds is nothing.
On average the time in the longest time in the pocket (so removing scrambling and long developing boot legs) for a QB is Baker Mayfield, at 3.1.

Traditional pocket passers like Brady and Brees typically average about 2.5. Cousins currently sits at 9th most time in the pocket at 2.86 seconds. 2.5 seconds should be the goal of every pocket passing QB, because any longer than that and you are putting a burden on your Oline. Sometimes that burden is required to make a play and you hope the Oline holds up in those circumstances, but to always put your Oline in that spot when you are not good at moving in the pocket, is a recipe for disaster no matter how much talent is on the Oline.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:44 am

I mean yeah I will criticize Jimmy G. I criticized Cousins this week. If a guy plays a bad game I have no problem calling that out. I know many SF fans arent thrilled with Jimmy G. Hell, rumor has it their coach isnt even thrilled with him and rumor has it, wanted Cousins more than Garoppolo.
Hah - Garoppolo took the 49er's to the Super Bowl last year and could have won it if not for some conservative play calling (which comes from the coaches). I'll take Garoppolo over Cousins any day. Kind of low comparing a bad game from Garappolo because of an injury to Cousins with no excuse.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:44 am

Hah - Garoppolo took the 49er's to the Super Bowl last year and could have won it if not for some conservative play calling (which comes from the coaches). I'll take Garoppolo over Cousins any day. Kind of low comparing a bad game from Garappolo because of an injury to Cousins with no excuse.