Broncos Post Game Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

TSonn
Career Elite Player

Re: Broncos Post Game Thread

Post by TSonn »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:15 pm
TSonn wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:37 pm Anyone else think it's funny that when Brees, Rodgers, or Brady come back from 2+ scores no one argues that they should've played better in the first half? Seems like quite a few people are saying that about Kirk despite him completely carrying this team and defense in the second half (and that the problem in first half was clearly the gameplan, not Kirk).

Great game for Kirk and Diggs. Love that Irv got in the mix. Bisi continues to impress. Hopefully the defense gets their stuff together.
We we shut out in the first half. Can't say anyone had a great game.
I guess Brady didn't have a great game in Superbowl 51? :wink:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:19 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:10 pm Why, after 50+ years following this team, do I continue to be surprised at the ridiculous negativity of Vikings fans?

We come back from 20 down, and the vast majority on of you on this board are COMPLAINING.

This is the NFL. You don't just walk over teams because your record is better. Denver is #4 in the league in defense. They have now lost four 4th-quarter leads. That means they're in every game. They're 3-7, but they can play, especially without Joe "The Statue" Flacco playing QB.

And by the way, where are all you Cousins nay-sayers now? I mean, I actually read one of you complain that he didn't "take a shot" on a free play? That's your criticism? Kind of a reach, don't you think? How many of you haters said that "if we ever get in a game where it's on Cousins' shoulders to bring us back, we're dead"? Oh wait ... it was a 3-6 team on a noon game at home. Guess it doesn't count. :roll:

The man was 29-of-35 for 319 and 3 TDs for a 133.2. Guaranteed, he'll be in the running for Offensive Player of the Week. Somebody's gonna have to seriously ball out to take the honor from him.

The bottom line is, in case you missed it ... WE WON. We're 8-3. We're breathing down the Packers' throats. How about enjoy it? Or at least allow us non-haters to enjoy it.
Joe. Joe. Joe. Come on man. You can't expect everyone to sit here and cheer like everything is awesome. Even you have to admit that our defense has shown some major issues lately. It is alarming. You talk about Denver's defense. Fair. It is great. However, we gave up 20 points in a half to a rag tag offense. Yes we won. I am elated but I am not blind. We have serious issues. I dont care about making the playoffs only. I want to win it all. Right now, that doesnt seem like this team is headed in the right direction to do so. Our defense is a shell of itself.
And you know what I say?

We're 8-3.

Next.

And by the way, you're not displaying elation. That's just a word you're using. In truth, you are one of the legions of Vikings fans who expect perfection. We could win the Bowl, and you'd still find a reason to complain. Yeah, the defense sucked hind t!t in the first half. I was pissed. I was kicking things. I actually punched my laptop. But I didn't figure the second half would be the same, and it wasn't. In the second, the defense played their butts off. Deny it if you want, but you'll be wrong.

WE WON.

Next.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:20 pm
Sure you can. Just put one word in front of the other. It's not that hard.

Diggs 5-for-121 and a touch. Not great?
Cousins 133.2 passer rating, 323 yards and 3 TDs. Not great?
Maybe even ... Andrew Sendejo? 7 tackles and a pick. Pretty decent, at least? And hey, he didn't injure any teammates.

Let me ask you something. If this were the Super Bowl and we'd just come from 20 down to win it, would you still say that?

My god, enjoy the damn win.
Great half. Not a great game. Relax. I enjoyed the half just like you.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:23 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:19 pm

Joe. Joe. Joe. Come on man. You can't expect everyone to sit here and cheer like everything is awesome. Even you have to admit that our defense has shown some major issues lately. It is alarming. You talk about Denver's defense. Fair. It is great. However, we gave up 20 points in a half to a rag tag offense. Yes we won. I am elated but I am not blind. We have serious issues. I dont care about making the playoffs only. I want to win it all. Right now, that doesnt seem like this team is headed in the right direction to do so. Our defense is a shell of itself.
And you know what I say?

We're 8-3.

Next.

And by the way, you're not displaying elation. That's just a word you're using. In truth, you are one of the legions of Vikings fans who expect perfection. We could win the Bowl, and you'd still find a reason to complain. Yeah, the defense sucked hind t!t in the first half. I was pissed. I was kicking things. I actually punched my laptop. But I didn't figure the second half would be the same, and it wasn't. In the second, the defense played their butts off. Deny it if you want, but you'll be wrong.

WE WON.

Next.
I expect us not to be down 20-0 at half to a no name QB and a 2nd and 1st year WR and TE. My expectations are sky-high. Very shortsighted. You can't blame others from realizing this effort and play like this wont cut it against Seattle, the Lions, the Bears, Chargers, and Packers. Thats not even talking about the playoffs. Yes we won but we played poorly. I guess I am more Bill Belichick than Pete Carroll. I guarantee you the Pats wouldn't be celebrating after a win like this.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

TSonn wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:20 pm
Yeah, the MVP voters got that one wrong. He threw for 466, but that first half. What a garbage game he played.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

What a great, non related, argument.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

TSonn wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:05 pm
S197 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:49 pm
Let me give you an example. He draws a DE offsides with a hard count, it’s to his right so he clearly sees this. It’s a free play. Every single time Rodgers or Brady chucks that down field because you have absolutely nothing to lose. Cousins checks it down to Cook. Next play is a fumble.
I was listening to the game on the radio for this play (watched the first quarter, listened to the rest) and I'll admit that I was disappointed to hear we didn't take a deep shot when Kirk got the jump. But are our guys taught to abandon the play call and just go deep when they see the flag? I really don't think so - not Zimmer's style because there's a chance the flag is not offsides. It seems like we need the right play call AND the jump in order to take advantage as opposed to the Packers WRs coached to go deep when they see that early flag.

Maybe it was different in the second quarter, but the entire first quarter I think Kirk had 2 plays where the play call allowed him to look past 5 yards. There was so many short throws/screens called in the first quarter and the Broncos were ready for it. We ran one good PA where Cousins was looking deep but didn't pull the trigger and then he had an opportunity on 3rd and long to hit Diggs but he took a sack instead. Maybe things changed in the 2nd quarter but the way the announcers were talking it made it sound like the conservative play calling continued.

But I'm not going to blame Kirk for that first half when what I saw in the first quarter was BS play calling that was obvious they were either scared of Denver's defense OR over confident that they didn't need to score many points to win. That obviously changed in the 2nd half.

Still - Brees, Rodgers, Brady don't get dissected like this after a 20 point second half comeback.
I’d hope they would be taught to alter their routes, especially a vet like Diggs. I couldn’t see if there were any go routes on the play but even if not, you still choose your deepest route and go for it. Even the second drive where Von Miller peeled off into coverage on 3rd down. If there’s one guy you need to know what he’s doing every single down, it’s #58. He drops in coverage, you have time to go through your progressions. The last thing you do is immediately throw to your safety valve, which is what Cousins did. Even if that’s the call, you have to make that post snap adjustment.

That being said, I fully agree Cousins wasn’t the major problem in the 1st half. The coaching and defense was solidly in front of him in terms of fault. And in terms of winning the game, I’d say he was most instrumental with coaching adjustments and defense stepping up in 2nd/3rd place.

I guess what I’m getting at is this game was a perfect example of the “talented roster” and “fools gold” dichotomy Kapp and I were discussing. And that also extends to good/bad Kirk. It could be Zimmer telling him not to make mistakes because it is odd how night and day he can play. Perhaps Zimmer needs to humble himself and realize the defense isn’t that good and we need a little more gunslinger in Cousins. Hope they figure it out in the next two weeks.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:28 pm

Yeah, the MVP voters got that one wrong. He threw for 466, but that first half. What a garbage game he played.
Hopefully, he had time to play better the week after. Again, thats a pretty stupid argument.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Performing poorly against the top team in the NFC > performing poorly against 3-6 Denver, who were trading their best players away and playing their Back up QB. Also, I am sure, in the offseason, BB showed film of the first half to the Pats. He's that kind of coach.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:10 pm Why, after 50+ years following this team, do I continue to be surprised at the ridiculous negativity of Vikings fans?

We come back from 20 down, and the vast majority on of you on this board are COMPLAINING.

This is the NFL. You don't just walk over teams because your record is better. Denver is #4 in the league in defense. They have now lost four 4th-quarter leads. That means they're in every game. They're 3-7, but they can play, especially without Joe "The Statue" Flacco playing QB.

And by the way, where are all you Cousins nay-sayers now? I mean, I actually read one of you complain that he didn't "take a shot" on a free play? That's your criticism? Kind of a reach, don't you think? How many of you haters said that "if we ever get in a game where it's on Cousins' shoulders to bring us back, we're dead"? Oh wait ... it was a 3-6 team on a noon game at home. Guess it doesn't count. :roll:

The man was 29-of-35 for 319 and 3 TDs for a 133.2. Guaranteed, he'll be in the running for Offensive Player of the Week. Somebody's gonna have to seriously ball out to take the honor from him.

The bottom line is, in case you missed it ... WE WON. We're 8-3. We're breathing down the Packers' throats. How about enjoy it? Or at least allow us non-haters to enjoy it.
Preach!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:24 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:20 pm
Sure you can. Just put one word in front of the other. It's not that hard.

Diggs 5-for-121 and a touch. Not great?
Cousins 133.2 passer rating, 323 yards and 3 TDs. Not great?
Maybe even ... Andrew Sendejo? 7 tackles and a pick. Pretty decent, at least? And hey, he didn't injure any teammates.

Let me ask you something. If this were the Super Bowl and we'd just come from 20 down to win it, would you still say that?

My god, enjoy the damn win.
You're far from the only one who is trashing this team today, so I'll relax when I feel like relaxing. Thanks though.

I happen to think that when a team becomes the first out of 100 in the league this year to come back from a 20-point halftime deficit to win, that's kind of a good thing. Would you rather we'd have lost?

And for the record, I don't care whether this effort will hold up against Seattle. That's two weeks from now. Totally different game. Totally different situation. You can't say we'll do this against Seattle. We might just have the effort we had against Dallas. Or the second half of this game. To win, a team does what it needs to do at the time. The Vikings did that.

Seven weeks ago, 90% of this board wouldn't have predicted 8-3. Yet here we are, in the running for the division and a first-round bye.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:32 pm Performing poorly against the top team in the NFC > performing poorly against 3-6 Denver, who were trading their best players away and playing their Back up QB. Also, I am sure, in the offseason, BB showed film of the first half to the Pats. He's that kind of coach.
Plus, I'd probably view Cousins a little differently if he won a couple of SBs for this Vikings team. Maybe be a little less critical. : )

Cousins has yet to prove himself.

Great performance in the 2nd half. I'd like to see more of that vs SEA.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:32 pm Performing poorly against the top team in the NFC > performing poorly against 3-6 Denver, who were trading their best players away and playing their Back up QB. Also, I am sure, in the offseason, BB showed film of the first half to the Pats. He's that kind of coach.
No that's where you're wrong.

I guarantee you, Bill Belichick did not replay the first half of that game like freaking Groundhog Day. Good coaches watch the film and move on.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I used the free play as an example. I can use other examples (and have) but then that will be construed as being overly negative. Also, I don’t see it as hating, I’m just trying to break down the game, which included an absolutely embarrassing 1st half.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:36 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:24 pm

You're far from the only one who is trashing this team today, so I'll relax when I feel like relaxing. Thanks though.

I happen to think that when a team becomes the first out of 100 in the league this year to come back from a 20-point halftime deficit to win, that's kind of a good thing. Would you rather we'd have lost?

And for the record, I don't care whether this effort will hold up against Seattle. That's two weeks from now. Totally different game. Totally different situation. You can't say we'll do this against Seattle. We might just have the effort we had against Dallas. Or the second half of this game. To win, a team does what it needs to do at the time. The Vikings did that.

Seven weeks ago, 90% of this board wouldn't have predicted 8-3. Yet here we are, in the running for the division and a first-round bye.
And then what? I am not saying that you cant enjoy the win. Please do, it was exciting. However, to blind forget the first half is foolish. It is concerning. Very concerning. With the playoffs being one and done, I hope we fix whatever seems to be wrong. This performance at home against who we played is concerning.