Why we should draft a QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Why we should draft a QB

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:25 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:56 am

You hit the nail on the head. I would'n shy away from any elite player regardless of position. But is there an elite player in this draft that will drop that far like Moss did? According to some there are no 1st round talent at CB and there are no 1st round talent at G so immediately scratch those two positions.
Right but there’s a difference. The tackles are loaded in this class and many can and will convert to guard. As for CB, it’s the weakest class in a long time. Do the research if you don’t believe me. For natural guards, you aren’t going to find them until the 2nd and 3rd round. But guys like Ford and Risner can be elite guards. There aren’t other positions that can become elite CBs. There are a couple that could be good, but nothing promising in this class. Analysts are saying there isn’t even a Denzel Ward in this class, who’s good but idk if he will be elite down the road
I wouldn't use my 1st round pick on a player that needs to be converted. That's not a 1st rounder IMO. Can the switch be done? Sure. We haven't had much luck with our own OL guys though. Chris Doleman switched positions but it didn't happen over night. Rookies struggle enough without changing positions. Besides all that I'm not locked in on one position. If a top QB falls, not a runner but a passer, then take him quickly. Same with WR. If a stud falls then jump quickly. We need the help. It's a 3 WR league now more than ever. That's why CBs are so important.Along with pass rushers.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

CharVike wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:19 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:25 pm

Right but there’s a difference. The tackles are loaded in this class and many can and will convert to guard. As for CB, it’s the weakest class in a long time. Do the research if you don’t believe me. For natural guards, you aren’t going to find them until the 2nd and 3rd round. But guys like Ford and Risner can be elite guards. There aren’t other positions that can become elite CBs. There are a couple that could be good, but nothing promising in this class. Analysts are saying there isn’t even a Denzel Ward in this class, who’s good but idk if he will be elite down the road
I wouldn't use my 1st round pick on a player that needs to be converted. That's not a 1st rounder IMO. Can the switch be done? Sure. We haven't had much luck with our own OL guys though. Chris Doleman switched positions but it didn't happen over night. Rookies struggle enough without changing positions. Besides all that I'm not locked in on one position. If a top QB falls, not a runner but a passer, then take him quickly. Same with WR. If a stud falls then jump quickly. We need the help. It's a 3 WR league now more than ever. That's why CBs are so important.Along with pass rushers.
Again you keep saying the same thing over and over. I’m all for BPA, but not at CB, especially if we don’t trade any of them. That’s a waste of a pick. That player has no shot of taking a spot from Rhodes or Waynes. Or even Alexander or Hughes. No less, there is one decent CB in the first round. Greedy Williams from LSU but I don’t think he’s close to the caliber we have here.

As for position switches, guys do it all the time coming out of college. Switching immediately out of college is completely different than switching halfway through your nfl career. If they are a legit offensive lineman, it’s 100% worthy of a first round pick. Would you really pass on Cody ford or Risner at 18 just because we want to switch him to guard? I sure hope not. Risner has played all along the OL so that’s an easy switch to guard and Ford is only 6’4. That’s small for any offensive tackle. He should be switched to guard.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:30 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:19 am
Again you keep saying the same thing over and over. I’m all for BPA, but not at CB, especially if we don’t trade any of them. That’s a waste of a pick. That player has no shot of taking a spot from Rhodes or Waynes. Or even Alexander or Hughes. No less, there is one decent CB in the first round. Greedy Williams from LSU but I don’t think he’s close to the caliber we have here.

As for position switches, guys do it all the time coming out of college. Switching immediately out of college is completely different than switching halfway through your nfl career. If they are a legit offensive lineman, it’s 100% worthy of a first round pick. Would you really pass on Cody ford or Risner at 18 just because we want to switch him to guard? I sure hope not. Risner has played all along the OL so that’s an easy switch to guard and Ford is only 6’4. That’s small for any offensive tackle. He should be switched to guard.
If BPA is CB then that's the pick. Not saying a player of this caliber is there but as an example if Dion Sanders slips to 18 grab him. He's 20 times better than anything we have. And yes switching from tackle to guard should be easy. But it doesn't always work. We have done that with our current lineman and it hasn't done a thing to help us. The guys were tackles for a reason. Plus a player may not want to switch. Tackles make more cash. But as I have stated BPA regardless of position.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

CharVike wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:29 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:30 pm

If BPA is CB then that's the pick. Not saying a player of this caliber is there but as an example if Dion Sanders slips to 18 grab him. He's 20 times better than anything we have. And yes switching from tackle to guard should be easy. But it doesn't always work. We have done that with our current lineman and it hasn't done a thing to help us. The guys were tackles for a reason. Plus a player may not want to switch. Tackles make more cash. But as I have stated BPA regardless of position.
For the 10th time, nobody near Deion Sanders is in this draft. Hell, Xavier Rhodes or Trae Waynes isn’t in this draft. So I don’t know why you keep pushing this point.

As for switching, it doesn’t matter if they want to switch or not, it’s not their choice. I doubt a rookie tackle would come in and say “nah Zim eff off I don’t want to play guard”. I literally just said, making a switch coming into the nfl happens all the time. Because there is so much teaching and things to learn early on. Not sure what our current lineman have anything to do with that. They made mid career switches. Which is completely different. Rookies are raw and if switched early, it doesn’t effect them hardly at all.

As for there pay, that’s not the case. They are paid based on where they are drafted. Down the road, tackles would make more money when you get out of your rookie deal. But prior to that, it doesn’t really matter what position you are. It’s about where you are drafted.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:01 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:29 am
For the 10th time, nobody near Deion Sanders is in this draft. Hell, Xavier Rhodes or Trae Waynes isn’t in this draft. So I don’t know why you keep pushing this point.

As for switching, it doesn’t matter if they want to switch or not, it’s not their choice. I doubt a rookie tackle would come in and say “nah Zim eff off I don’t want to play guard”. I literally just said, making a switch coming into the nfl happens all the time. Because there is so much teaching and things to learn early on. Not sure what our current lineman have anything to do with that. They made mid career switches. Which is completely different. Rookies are raw and if switched early, it doesn’t effect them hardly at all.

As for there pay, that’s not the case. They are paid based on where they are drafted. Down the road, tackles would make more money when you get out of your rookie deal. But prior to that, it doesn’t really matter what position you are. It’s about where you are drafted.
I'm not expressing my thoughts very well. I know there is no Dion Sanders but my point is take BPA regardless of position. We need help all over. We are a .500 team which is the worst spot to be. Unfortunately we don't have a contender roster. Too many holes to fill in one year. Maybe we get a break and some young OL will develop. Even our young center is a issue. The guy might be done. Injury has ended many careers. But I'm hoping he will be back this season. I'm hoping Hughes will be back the same. I'm hoping Rhodes isn't done but who knows. You think I'm stuck on CB. I'm stuck on BPA regardless of position.