Vikings OL and GM discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Vikings OL

Post by jackal »

I believe Sullivan was Birk's replacement ...Berger and maybe one other player have been
the other have been the replacements when Sullivan has missed.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Sully was Birk's replacement in 09.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Its rather absurd to invite sully back and pray he manages to survive camp put him in as the starter in the most critical position. His back will never be the same, his position is the worst one for a low back problem. He WILL end up injured again and we will be left mid season in chaos AGAIN. He is old and broken. He was paid well for his time. Its time to move on. Look at Manning and how limited he was after spinal problems and surgery...an he plays the most protected and least damaging postition on offense. Sully is similar and in the most damaging position. The Vikes need a massive retooling at the OL....no questions.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Podcast with Fusco. Worth the listen. Discusses the challenges he faced in 2015:
Vikings offensive guard Brandon Fusco joins the podcast with Kevin McMahon and reviews his 2015 season and his thoughts going
http://vikingspodcast.com/2016/02/13/ch ... the-guard/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:Podcast with Fusco. Worth the listen. Discusses the challenges he faced in 2015:
http://vikingspodcast.com/2016/02/13/ch ... the-guard/
Thanks DP. Fusco is another guy on the line that could be much better in 2016, but that its hard to count on it this offseason. Seems to be the case with pretty much every pre-season starter under contract from last year.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote: Thanks DP. Fusco is another guy on the line that could be much better in 2016, but that its hard to count on it this offseason. Seems to be the case with pretty much every pre-season starter under contract from last year.
Yeah. I have to remember how awful he was when he went from center coming out of college to his first year at RG. I was pretty (ok...really) critical of him and he definitely grew into the role and improved. It'll be interesting how much faith the coaching staff has with him. I mean, if they decide to stick with him (not release him), where does he play if/when they resign Harris? Lots of moving pieces and decisions to make.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Yeah. I have to remember how awful he was when he went from center coming out of college to his first year at RG. I was pretty (ok...really) critical of him and he definitely grew into the role and improved. It'll be interesting how much faith the coaching staff has with him. I mean, if they decide to stick with him (not release him), where does he play if/when they resign Harris? Lots of moving pieces and decisions to make.
I think they're vey likely to stick with him since they just signed him to a 5 year deal in 2014. I'm wondering: would they move him back to RG and re-sign Harris to play LG or serve as a backup? Would Harris re-sign as a backup? I'm not sure how much interest he'll generate if he hits free agency but I'm thinking he'll be looking to start.

Maybe Fusco can play better at LG after getting a year under his belt. :confused:
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Lots of questions. Sparano's influence on the group will also likely be another wild card in the mix.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

mansquatch wrote:Lots of questions. Sparano's influence on the group will also likely be another wild card in the mix.
Absolutely. I doubt Sparano will sit in the back with his mouth shut during coaching meetings.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I dont wanna see Fusco in purple again, I dont wanna see Kalil either. If they keep Sully, they better have a good back up ready at all times, his isnt likely to last a whole season. Loadholt, yes, Clemmings, yes...he needs to show his true colors this year. Berger...he is a back up, nothing more.
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

here's my quick plan:

cut sullivan and loadholt-too much money, wrong side of 30 and major injuries to recover from

re sign harris

sign a free agent guard for the left side. i know he's expensive, but i'd like osemele

draft conklin or decker in rd 1 for the right side.

kalil-not thrilled with keeping him, but spielman isn't giving up on a high pick until all efforts have been exhausted

so here's the line

Left tackle-Kalil

left guard-Osemele

center-berger

right guard-camp competition between fusco and harris

right tackle-conklin or decker

clemmings and the loser between fusco and harris are the top two backups.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

slapnut19 wrote:here's my quick plan:

cut sullivan and loadholt-too much money, wrong side of 30 and major injuries to recover from

re sign harris

sign a free agent guard for the left side. i know he's expensive, but i'd like osemele

draft conklin or decker in rd 1 for the right side.

kalil-not thrilled with keeping him, but spielman isn't giving up on a high pick until all efforts have been exhausted

so here's the line

Left tackle-Kalil

left guard-Osemele

center-berger

right guard-camp competition between fusco and harris

right tackle-conklin or decker

clemmings and the loser between fusco and harris are the top two backups.
I think that's a pretty good plan. Will Conklin or Decker be there at 23? It'd be great to get a guy to start @ RT who has LT capability in case Kalil is terrible again, and for the next season.

I'd also add someone like Stephan Wisniewski who has worked with Sparano to serve as center so that Berger can be in a backup role.

Of course, its also likely that if they keep Loadholt and Sully they are going to reduce their contracts. Sully indicated he would be willing to and had a clear understanding of the situation in an interview with PA. If that's the case maybe you let Kalil go and try to bring in a LT in free agency who is either better or costs less.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Why the sudden desire to replace Loadholt and Sullivan? The RT woes last year were probably the single biggest issue facing the OL. Also, I suspect that a man of Loadholt's size and power would fit in well with the type of physical style that Sparano will likely bring to the unit. I still believe Guard is where we'll see them add talent. Even with Fusco's contract those two positions have never been that well manned since Hutchinson left. If they go T, then they end up replacing what is likely an overall better player within the group while leaving an overall worse player as a starter. I think, incrementally, there is more to be gained at Guard.

My $0.02 anyways...

Also, I know everyone hates on Kalil and he has done his share to deserve it, but who is going to come in at LT and be better? Also, if we toss him then we have to expend capital replacing him while, as per my point above, still keeping the weakest group on the Line, the Guards, the same.

My opinion remains that adding back a healthy Phil Loadholt dramatically changes how you assess the strengths/weaknesses of this line.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mansquatch wrote:Why the sudden desire to replace Loadholt and Sullivan? The RT woes last year were probably the single biggest issue facing the OL. Also, I suspect that a man of Loadholt's size and power would fit in well with the type of physical style that Sparano will likely bring to the unit. I still believe Guard is where we'll see them add talent. Even with Fusco's contract those two positions have never been that well manned since Hutchinson left. If they go T, then they end up replacing what is likely an overall better player within the group while leaving an overall worse player as a starter. I think, incrementally, there is more to be gained at Guard.

My $0.02 anyways...
I feel exactly the same way as you do. I think it's a combination of people not giving Phil the credit he deserves and assuming Sullivan and/or Loadholt are too old/injured when it's just as conceivable they fully recover from their injuries. Short memories, too. Many don't recall how good Sullivan has been and how much Phil has improved since being drafted. I am fully on board with acquiring a good LG in free agency and letting Fusco/Harris (assuming he's resigned) compete for the RG spot with the loser being a backup. Harris could be a backup at RG and RT or Fusco could be a backup at RG and C. The only reason I may find this unlikely is because that would be a LOT of money tied into the offensive line. Like, maybe the most in the league (depending on Harris' contract and what they do with Kalil, if anything). Perhaps the more cost-effective route will be to draft a rookie LG in rounds 1-2 and have him compete with Berger and Fusco for the starting job. I also think they need to draft a center to groom. Thankfully this is a great year to grab one.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Here's why Loadholt should be replaced:

He's due almost $8 million in this final year of his contract and yet he's missed the Vikings last 22 games. Can he be counted on going forward? Can he return and play at the level he did before missing all of that time? It's impossible to say but if a younger option with a better injury history is available in free agency (perhaps Mitchell Schwartz?) and at a similar price, the Vikings could lock up the position for the next 4+ years by signing that player instead of going with a player for 2015 that may or may not hold up and having to address the right tackle position next year (by either re-signing Loadholt at 31 or moving on to another player).

They could obviously draft a tackle too and there are plenty of good reasons to do that.

Here's why Loadholt shouldn't be replaced:

When healthy, he's a powerful run blocker, a good presence in the locker room and an above average RT. Offensive linemen can play effectively well into their 30s so it's possible Loadholt could sill be a solid starting right tackle for the Vikings for another 4-5 years.

Take your pick...