Young Theodore Bridgewater

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 21 Year Old Ted Bridgewater

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Cliff wrote:I'll say this; I'd rather have a rookie overthowing than underthrowing. The overthrow can be adjusted ... If he didn't have enough arm to make the throw that's a more difficult problem.
I was actually going to say this earlier but figured I would get shredded for it. Ponder had trouble getting the ball there, Teddy doesn't. Teddy just has to put a little more touch on it. Ponder needed to hit the weight room
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Cliff wrote:I'll say this; I'd rather have a rookie overthowing than underthrowing. The overthrow can be adjusted ... If he didn't have enough arm to make the throw that's a more difficult problem.
Good point. The overthrow is also less likely to be a turnover on the deep pass.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Exactly.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: There it is.

Haven't had a QB with killer instinct since Favre, and that only lasted a year. At 21 years old, Teddy's gonna give us a lot more than one year.
That's also why the analogy regarding Ponder doesn't make sense. Ponder let the hits and mistakes get to his head, which happens to some QBs. OTOH, Bridgewater doesn't seem bothered by having to go through a learning curve that includes hits and mistakes. And today he revealed his tenacity when it comes to winning. How is that a bad thing?
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Yeah, luckily Teddy has a short memory, and is tough as nails. He took some nasty shots today. And he is cool and calm, always.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

TSonn wrote:
Ponder always struggled with the second level throws along with his deep throws. Teddy looks to be pretty good at those. I remember reading somewhere that the second level (10-20 yard) throws are actually the hardest for a QB because they take accuracy, strength, and the ability to read a defense so I think that's a pretty good sign.
That's a very good point, I loved seeing him hit those deeper intermediate throws with regularity. It's kind of weird but he's like better at the harder stuff (the second level throws toward the sideline, handling the blitz, do or die situations) than he is at what should probably be the "easier" stuff like connecting on deep balls.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

mondry wrote: That's a very good point, I loved seeing him hit those deeper intermediate throws with regularity. It's kind of weird but he's like better at the harder stuff (the second level throws toward the sideline, handling the blitz, do or die situations) than he is at what should probably be the "easier" stuff like connecting on deep balls.
Ben Goessling ‏@GoesslingESPN
Teddy Bridgewater threw a season-high 18 passes of 10 yards or more, per @ESPNStatsInfo. Hit 9 for 153 yards. Could've had a lot more.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

maembe wrote: Looking at the replay again, it really looks like this one was on Patterson. He pulls up and then it lands right in front of him.
another gif

https://vine.co/v/OOHqrHlWrKD
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

maembe wrote:Let's not get carried away. He was absolutely terrible for the first 29 minutes of the game and had been bad for several weeks.

That said, I definitely saw some positives from him after an abysmal start, which is tough to do. He definitely didn't let that rough stretch bother him and he seems to get better under pressure. I think he sees the field well for a rookie and definitely has the smarts. He does need to work on his accuracy though. His deep balls have been awful and he has missed several easy touchdowns. If he can get that figured out I think he has potential.
So unless he starts hitting the deep ball, you don't see potential in him? Tough crowd.
Gemfow
Rookie

Post by Gemfow »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I was actually going to say this earlier but figured I would get shredded for it. Ponder had trouble getting the ball there, Teddy doesn't. Teddy just has to put a little more touch on it. Ponder needed to hit the weight room
On top of that, Ponder's deep balls launched out of the tv screen which ultimately resulted in way too much air and way too little velocity for a receiver to keep running in stride.

Some people expect a first round QB is suppose to come out just like Andrew Luck. That's not always going to be the case. Manning threw a lot of picks his first season but he put in the work, perfected his craft and some fans don't seem patient enough to allow Teddy to do that. His second season is when we should see some growth. Teddy is already better than some second to third year QB's IMO. Is he perfect, no. Could he use some help at the receiver position? Yes. Patterson undoubtedly needs to work on his routes, they're not good. Once Patterson improves in route running, he will get his separation. The way Patterson changes directions should make him a great route runner in time if he puts in the work. I'm glad to see bridgewater throwing in Patterson's direction but he's covered mostly.

I've seen Teddy overthrow Johnson a few times and two of those times Johnson slowed down. I m not sure if Patterson slowed down yesterday but that hurt to see a wide open receiver not get the ball. He overthrew Jennings who got behind the coverage. Those are opportunities that the great QB's capitalize on and that's what Teddy really should be upset about and work on.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

808vikingsfan wrote: another gif

https://vine.co/v/OOHqrHlWrKD
Okay, that one makes it clear. It was perfect pass and Patterson just lost it. I feel like Teddy is still getting blamed for it though.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

You all realize that we are rank 31st in the league for our passing offense, right? Teddy has a lot to prove.....
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

chicagopurple wrote:You all realize that we are rank 31st in the league for our passing offense, right? Teddy has a lot to prove.....
Most of us also realize that Teddy Bridgewater is tied for first in the NFL in comeback wins.

Yes, he has a lot to prove. But he's also proven a lot.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

maembe wrote:

Okay, that one makes it clear. It was perfect pass and Patterson just lost it. I feel like Teddy is still getting blamed for it though.
I still don't see it as a given that he makes that catch because he doesn't actually pull up until the ball is passing him. I'm sure he will say he would've had it if not for the sun...especially since he couldn't actually see it to know for certain.

Regardless, I certainly don't think it was a perfect pass. I'm sure they'll get their timing down.I don't see saying that as blaming or bashing TB. The dude needs to fix his deep ball issue...just like CP needs to learn routes...just like AD needed to fix his fumbling issue etc etc

And he will...it's all timing
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Most of us also realize that Teddy Bridgewater is tied for first in the NFL in comeback wins.

Yes, he has a lot to prove. But he's also proven a lot.

:rock: