Weeeeeerrrreeeee Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Weeeeeerrrreeeee Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Nice post.

Welcome back everyone. Feels good to be home. The folks at Purple Pride deserve a shout out for providing us with a post-natural disaster center with cots, warm soup and the ability to find one another and discuss what the heck happened. Looks like those posts influenced Geoff to realize that his decision was rash and influenced a lot of good people in a way that he did not intend. It was not a worthy death to what I believe is a solid online community, so I'm glad to see it resuscitated.

I also think it's important to have a venue where we can discuss what's going on with our favorite team; our ideas on what AD did and how the league and the Vikes react to it; and hopefully someday soon, we can even discuss FOOTBALL again!
What is this "football" you speak of, Texas Vike?

It's good to see you and other familiar board members returning. It's also good to see some former lurkers/readers posting and I hope VMB will attract some good new members as well.

The folks at Purple Pride definitely deserve a shout out! They've been great to those of us who landed there over the past few days.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

By the way, I encourage all of you to reach out to any VMB members you know who haven't shown up here yet. Some of them may not know the board is back up!

I also fear others, whose accounts may have been deleted when Geoff snapped and went on a rampage, may never return. For example, as far as I can tell, FiestaVike, who I thought was a good contributor to this board, may have had his account deleted. If anyone knows him, or other good fans who suffered the same fate, please reach out to them. Let's get this place back to the thriving community it was... heck, let's make it better.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

I only have one thing to say about that....

:banana:
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I'm somewhere between:

And:
:banana2: :banana: :elephant: :dude:

Also, the only reason I was able to make it back to the board today is because I did every troubleshooting tip that Crax could come up with. I ended up having to edit my hosts file on windows. It still might take a while before the site is available to everyone.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

*walks back into forum*

*waits for applause*

No?

*sits down in recliner*

*pets Jim on the head*

Beer me, Jim. It's good to be home.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:*walks back into forum*

*waits for applause*

No?

*sits down in recliner*

*pets Jim on the head*

Beer me, Jim. It's good to be home.
Here you go: :beerock:

Welcome back!
PotGoblin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by PotGoblin »

I am back as well.
Purple Pride till the end.
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

I'm a bit embarrassed to say I'm giddy as a little girl that the forum is back. I was having one heck of a time searching, reading, scouring the other Vikings forums to decide which one is best should this one never come back! I'm glad that need is gone...so far.

Addendum: If something went awry with this forum again, which forum would you cats join, or should I just rephrase, which Vikes forum is "2nd best"?

...------
...spirits in the wind and the trees
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Addendum: If something went awry with this forum again, which forum would you cats join, or should I just rephrase, which Vikes forum is "2nd best"?
I went over to purple pride.org. They were very welcoming, and seem like a great group over there.

http://forums.purplepride.org/forum.php

Thau
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

Good to hit the messageboard button on the phone here at work and see it's back up again!
Mike

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Thank goodness!!!!

I was shocked when the site went down because, like many others here, I felt like a piece of my family was suddenly missing. Kind of weird to feel that way about it, but I guess after so many years of reading what you all have to write I developed more of a connection to the community than I realized. I saw that some of you made it over to PurplePride. I tried to join there too, but the website told me my email address had been banned. Ouch. I sent a message to the web admin over there but never heard back. Strange days indeed.

Anyway, glad to be back and while I'm struggling with everything that is going on off the field in pro football, at least I'll still be able to get my Vikings fix with all of you again.

:smilevike:

As far as Geoff goes, he did a LOT for this site over a lot of years and deserves credit for it. I don't agree with what he did or how he did it, but I don't hold anything against him, either.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Kansas Viking wrote:Good to hit the messageboard button on the phone here at work and see it's back up again!
It's like coming home from a business trip to enjoy your own reclining chair and bed.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote:Thank goodness!!!!

I was shocked when the site went down because, like many others here, I felt like a piece of my family was suddenly missing. Kind of weird to feel that way about it, but I guess after so many years of reading what you all have to write I developed more of a connection to the community than I realized. I saw that some of you made it over to PurplePride. I tried to join there too, but the website told me my email address had been banned. Ouch. I sent a message to the web admin over there but never heard back. Strange days indeed.

Anyway, glad to be back and while I'm struggling with everything that is going on off the field in pro football, at least I'll still be able to get my Vikings fix with all of you again.

:smilevike:

As far as Geoff goes, he did a LOT for this site over a lot of years and deserves credit for it. I don't agree with what he did or how he did it, but I don't hold anything against him, either.
It's good to see you here, Edward. I felt the same sense of loss you did when the site went down. Some of us have been discussing the Vikes online together for 15 years or more at this point. That leaves an impression. We're a community!
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Thaumaturgist wrote: I went over to purple pride.org. They were very welcoming, and seem like a great group over there.

http://forums.purplepride.org/forum.php

Thau
PP.O was very welcoming indeed, and honestly without their help it's likely we wouldn't have been to communicate at all. That is where most of us landed during the down time.

I actually almost feel bad for them. You could tell that their board is on the decline, and they were so excited to have us. That said, at least 5 members' emails were flagged as spam, posts had to be approved by the mods before they went through (at least, some did. I never figured out the rules on that), and captcha's were more prevalent than Webby wanted to admit. The community seemed great, but I'm not surprised that they're having a hard time keeping members with the amount of security devices that he installed. Perhaps I'm ignorant, but I feel like removing the excessive security would be a great move for them. If spam is really an issue, possibly even keeping more mods to delete the occasional spam would be beneficial.

But again, as far as the people go, I have nothing but great things to say about them. I would guess that in the unfortunate event that the board went down again, that is where we would meet.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

We are indeed back and I'm certainly happy about that!

Yesterday is a blur for me of actual work related stuff mixed with getting this site back up. To anyone who said thanks; you're welcome! It actually was a pretty good amount of work.

To anybody worried about me shutting the site down like that in the future ... I can't see that as an outcome. Not only because I'd miss the community even if I didn't watch Vikings football (which at this point I still do), but because I don't want the media coverage! :lol:

I understand the frustration with Geoff (GLG), but I think he deserves a lot of credit too. In addition to keeping this board running and paying the bills for the last several years he realized he over-reacted and worked for several hours with me yesterday getting everything transferred and moved over. In fact, he's still working with me as we do things like get Tapatalk working properly, etc. For frame of reference; he owned everything about the site. All of the files, the website URL, etc. It would have been within his rights to do away with it and not give it a second thought; obviously he didn't do that even with how strongly he feels about this issue. I don't think it was his intention to speak for the community as a whole either, it was just some unfortunate wording which he took down once he saw how it was getting construed.

Geoff is a good guy and a person I consider a friend ... he was morally outraged and acted in the heat of the moment. I hold no ill will against him and hope if football ever interests him again he returns.

All that said; Welcome back everybody!