Trading up to 2 for Bortles

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

allday2097
Waterboy

Re: Trading up to 2 for Bortles

Post by allday2097 »

If anything in a draft that is deep with talent and no sure thing at qb you want to trade down and get extra picks. I think Spielman either takes the highest rated defensive player on his board or trades down, assuming he can find a trade partner. He needs more picks in this draft and can find a qb in rounds 2 or 3.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

No no no that will be a mistake
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
AllDay
Rookie

Post by AllDay »

Another article about the Vikings trading up for Bortles. Thought it would be topical to post in here.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumor ... ortles0414
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

AllDay wrote:What do you guys think of this? Trading up to pick 2? If we give up that much I would be okay with it.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014trades.php
Craziness :roll: With their whacked mock draft JFB would be there for the Vikes to take at 8 without giving up any picks. Time will tell but I truly believe that JFB will have a much better career than Bortles.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

We don't need to trade up for anyone. I'll pull my hair out if we do. I'm confident that we can find our guy at #8 or a later round.
AllDay
Rookie

Post by AllDay »

I don't think it would be all that bad. Maybe not perfect but I wouldn't revoke my fandom or anything.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Reaching for bum QBs not bad enough? Let's trade up for them! :confused:
sonicology
Backup

Post by sonicology »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote:This is no better:

Projected Trade: The Houston Texans trade the No. 1 overall pick to the Minnesota Vikings in exchange for picks No. 8, No. 40 and No. 96.

1. The Minnesota Vikings (From Houston) Select...Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
Pretty sure this would be my exact reaction:

Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

I honestly don't see the need to trade up to 2 his year for ANYONE! We aren't that desparate to take that kind of a "shot" at a QB and mortgage a future on someone that isn't a near lock to be a great QB.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

With a move like this, the Vikings would get the most "NFL-looking" QB of this year's draft class. Not "NFL-looking" in terms of readiness or production, but literally in terms of how the guy looks. Standing at a solid 6'4" and weighing 230 pounds, Bortles is the kind of guy who walks into a room and makes scouts think "Now THERE is a freakin' QB prospect". Certainly, he has a strong arm to go with that big body, right? Umm, not really, it's pretty average. Then he must be really accurate, right? Um, not particularly. Lit the college football world on fire during his brief career, right? Ummm, no.

In my opinion, any GM who would trade *up* to get Bortles should have his head examined right after he's fired. In fact, he should be severely beaten, then fired, and then he can have his head examined.

I used to think Bortles was the second coming of Blaine Gabbert, and to some degree I still think that, although Bortles might turn out to be marginally better. But trading up to #2 to get him? No way. Even taking him at #8 would be foolish IMHO. QBs should not be drafted on whether they look the part, and while Bortles has perhaps more ideal physical stats than some of his contemporaries, I'd much rather the Vikes sit at #8 and take one of Bridgewater or Manziel (or even Murray who I think has the chance to be as good as anyone coming out this year) than Bortles.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

If we trade up, I'd rather it be for Mack. I think he might be the best player in this draft, but whether that's worth trading up to #2 and giving up a few extra picks I'm not too sure of.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Demi wrote:Reaching for bum QBs not bad enough? Let's trade up for them! :confused:
At least he wouldn't be a midget though Demi!!! :lol: (I am just giving you crap, no offense).

Honestly, if we trade up for Blake Bortles, I don't I will do. Honestly, no clue. There would be no way I could stand behind the team's decision.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

There's only two players worth trading up for this year IMO, and I don't see the Vikings making a move for either one. They are Jadeveon Clowney and Sammy Watkins.

I think we stay pat and draft Bridgewater or Mack (should he fall). 2nd most likely scenario? We trade back out of 8.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

No way we trade up to get anybody in this draft. Not a single player in this draft worth trading ANY picks for to move up. We are fine where we are. let the chips roll
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

VikingLord wrote: In my opinion, any GM who would trade *up* to get Bortles should have his head examined right after he's fired. In fact, he should be severely beaten, then fired, and then he can have his head examined.
:lol: