How happy are you with this draft?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

How pleased are you by the Vikings 2013 draft?

We kicked serious @$$
52%
Happy with what we did
28%
Pleased
11%
Not sure, will wait and see how they turn out
9%
We got great value but didn't get the right guys
No votes
Not happy with this draft
No votes

Total votes: 116

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: How happy are you with this draft?

Post by Mothman »

John_Viveiros wrote:Like it or not, it will be the Patterson pick that defines the value of this draft.
No it won't.

The Vikes have already made two other picks and they could make as many as 8 in total if they don't get involved in further trades. Their 2013 draft will be defined by what they achieve with the draft as a whole, not by the trade for Patterson.
Yes, I agree that we needed to give up a 3rd and a 4th to move up from #52 to #29. It's odd, and not entirely rational, but I would feel a lot better if we had given up the later 4th round pick, than the early one from Detroit. Those early picks on the second and third day are Golden. You can spend the night evaluating who's left, and target a couple players for those slots. IIRC, that's how we got Everson Griffen. Now, the Vikes are looking at some 20 players going off the board even after the 64 come off today.
Yes, and all they have to comfort them are three first round picks, which are never golden. ;) They still have the ammo to move up in R4 if there's a guy at the top of that round draws their attention.

All the hand-wringing on the board over the loss of a late third round pick and an early 4th round pick is a bit much.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

GBFavreFan wrote: Not to keep harping on this, but that's why Te'o would've been such a perfect fit. pass coverage. I don't believe Floyd will be a bust at all and think he will be a strong player. But I also feel Te'o would be as well, and since I felt the MLB was a much bigger hole than DT at this point, I would've gone with Te'o. I think Spielman just got a boner for the "#3 pick" falling so he took it regardless of what his board might've actually looked like. (and of course we don't know what his board was, as we haven't much about that)

Actually, I read this morning that Floyd was in the second tier of players on his board. Apparently there was only one player in the first tier. Pelissero drops some hints about it:

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Peli ... 042613?t=2
MV711
Backup

Post by MV711 »

In my humble opinion, we really won't know for a while how good these three, first round picks will be. On paper they look good with some being a little rough around the edges but then again, very few picks in the draft are "can't miss".

All three drafted fullfilled "needs" as far as the braintrust is concerned which is OK with me. What concerns me is the MLB position. Are we going to get a decent MLB in the later rounds or are we going to pick up a FA (Urlacher or ?)or just let Cole and whomever fight for the MLB spot.

I think Speilman and the braintust have done a good job over the years and trust their judgement in the upcoming rounds over any fan including myself!!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Interesting perspective: Not only did the Vikings draft 3 first-rounders yesterday, they also now have two Seahawks first-rounders (from 2008: John Carlson, Lawrence Jackson).
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Interesting perspective: Not only did the Vikings draft 3 first-rounders yesterday, they also now have two Seahawks first-rounders (from 2008: John Carlson, Lawrence Jackson).
It's like those two teams have an exchange program!
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote:

Actually, I read this morning that Floyd was in the second tier of players on his board. Apparently there was only one player in the first tier. Pelissero drops some hints about it:

Austin I guess? Either way t2 basically is t1 from the sound of it, but they had someone, one guy, they thought might have been above and beyond. In other words, all 3 players WERE high on their board so clearly BPA picks that also happened to be useful needs, and I think that's what is so good about it. The interesting thing is that Patterson was the last of the t2 guys. So they have Teo, Woods, Brown, and any one else t3 or lower guys!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

mondry wrote: Austin I guess? Either way t2 basically is t1 from the sound of it, but they had someone, one guy, they thought might have been above and beyond. In other words, all 3 players WERE high on their board so clearly BPA picks that also happened to be useful needs, and I think that's what is so good about it. The interesting thing is that Patterson was the last of the t2 guys. So they have Teo, Woods, Brown, and any one else t3 or lower guys!
That was my interpretation too. Tavon Austin was their lone tier 1 guy and they snagged the 3 guys that they had slotted as tier 2 talents.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:Actually, I read this morning that Floyd was in the second tier of players on his board. Apparently there was only one player in the first tier. Pelissero drops some hints about it:

I think the article defines the suspense regarding the three picks. According to the article, the Vikings were absolutely stunned that Floyd fell to them. And they wasted no time picking up Rhodes, even allowing the phones to ring for trade requests, which I think means Rhodes probably was going to be the #23 pick at the time.

I particularly like this part:

"To sit there and get two quality players like that," Spielman said, "I can't tell you how excited Coach (Leslie) Frazier and Coach (Alan) Williams are right now along with our scouting staff."

I can understand their excitement. I felt the same way!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Floyd was a home run times a million.. The Guy is going to be a beast.. One of the EX NFL (San Fransico Niners DL ) that
coached him said that Floyd hasn't even scratched the surface of his ability yet ..

The Vikings have both the best OL and DL lines in the NFC north.. and some of the best in the NFL overall
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

jackal wrote:One of the EX NFL (San Fransico Niners DL ) that coached him said that Floyd hasn't even scratched the surface of his ability yet ..
Do you have a link to that article?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think Floyd and Rhodes are great picks and really do not require much commentary. Floyd is great heir apparent to KWill and represents solid long term thinking as well as BPA. Rhodes represent further commitment to the secondary which is a priority of Frasier. The big question on him is that his strength is press coverage and his weakness is zone. We run a fair amount of zone, so schematically, that is a question.

Patterson is the most interesting pick, not just because of the trade, but also because he has ultimate potential. I think people are missing what this guy is capable of becoming. They are comparing him to Harvin in terms of running ability both YAC and Special Teams wise, which is appropriate. However, I think folks are overlooking that Harvin is 5-11 and 185#. Patterson is 6-2 and 216#. That is a huge difference in terms of how you can play this guy. He’ll be able to take more abuse than a Tavon Austin or a PH. That means more touches and more flexibility in how you play the guy. You can also line him up more on the outside due to his height. This creates a tremendous array of ways the Vikings can use him as a weapon… if they can develop his game.

Patterson probably has the greatest athletic ability of just about anyone in the draft. I read a report today that says on purely physical terms, Patterson is one of the best talents to come out in a few years, comparable to Megatron. Now that doesn’t mean he’ll be Megatron, but it says something about what this guy is capable of being. He has true blue chip talent, they just need to refine the rest of his game. We’ve got Jennings, Wright, and Simpson, plus Rudolph for this season. In short, we have time to develop this weapon into a full WR. In the mean time we can utilize him in the short passing game as well as in the return game so we’ll see some return right away.

I know people are upset about shedding the picks to get this guy, but he has the talent to justify the risk. Now it up to the coaches to work with him to realize his potential. I always say you can’t win in the NFL without taking some risks. I view this pick as one of those risks and for that reason, I like it. It shows the Vikings are willing to take calculated shots in an attempt to jump the curve and get better.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
jeg067
Starter

Post by jeg067 »

We gave a 2d, a3rd and a 4th to secure Patterson, so obviously Spielman saw something special in him,
but it was his third choice since he selected Rhodes and Floyd before him.

So, if he did their homework well, we got 3 "special" players, and it's a hell of a draft.

It will all come back to the draftbook.
The natural state of the football fan is bitter disappointment. - N.H.
jeg067
Starter

Post by jeg067 »

Ho, and BTW, my "dream draft" was to have a DT and a CB fall to us,
and then trade up of a WR... except in the draft simulator I was playing with,
I was ending up with Ridchardson, Truffant and Hopkins.... :mrgreen:
The natural state of the football fan is bitter disappointment. - N.H.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

The great thing is that the Viking have had an A+ draft just off day 1 alone. There's still some real value at the receiver position for the later rounds (Wheaton/Swope, among others) and I'm sure they add depth to the linebacker group to give some competition to Cole.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

PacificNorseWest wrote:The great thing is that the Viking have had an A+ draft just off day 1 alone. There's still some real value at the receiver position for the later rounds (Wheaton/Swope, among others) and I'm sure they add depth to the linebacker group to give some competition to Cole.
I think they'll draft a linebacker and an interior offensive lineman in the 4th and 5th rounds.