Vikings to trade up

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings to trade up

Post by Purple bruise »

I do not see the Vikes moving up or down. They will hopefully get Teo and a really good wide receiver with their first two picks. :)
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

There won't be a run on wide receivers in the top 22 picks. I don't care who says what. We may see as few as one WR (and possibly TE Tyler Eifert) taken ahead of the Vikings.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Sutsgold wrote:Spielman is good. I really believe his main target is defense. Like some of you already said, by tipping his hand like this it may create a run on wr's. Bingo. The more wr taken infront of the vikes, the less defensive specialty players will be taken. This leaves better quality defensive players for the vikes. Im guessing this is the direction we are going. Look for te o and a dl to be our top two picks.
Clueless.

No offense.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

GBFavreFan wrote:I'm not quite sure what the smokescreen would be by teasing a trade UP. If we really wanted a WR, teasing this trade up would just encourage others to trade up and grab a receiver, or draft a WR earlier than they thought they would. (Sort of how Jacksonville drafting Gabbert in a surprise move which forced the Vikings to draft Ponder so soon, and other teams grabbing QB's earlier too.) If we wanted an actual WR at #23 or #25 and didn't actually want to trade up for one, then flotating this scoop as a "smokescreen" would be a bad move in my opinion.

If Spielman does indeed want to trade up, Tavon Austin or Cordarrelle Patterson was only Ian Rappaport's speculation, not what he heard, so considering the large group of receivers that would still be available to us at #23, the only thing that would make sense in a trade-up would be to grab a CB like Xavier Rhodes or DJ Hayden who will probably be gone before #23. But again i still don't see how we can trade up and still keep our 2nd round pick (which we would then theoretically use for MLB or WR), so I'm not to pleased with this news, but I guess we'll see what happens at the draft.
So maybe Spielman has some guy targeted with the 2nd or 3rd round pick at WR, and he's planning to grab an elite CB/DT/ILB in the two slots. The more he gets guys making a run at the WR's, the better off he is. All the WR's scare me a bit. A bust at #23 isn't so bad, but grabbing one of Allen/Austin/Patterson at, say, #12, is really putting your job at risk.

After last year, Spielman gets the benefit of the doubt with me. If he does pick Patterson #23 (a pick I do not like at this time) I will probably think that it's likely that the guy just knows more than me.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

JEC334 wrote:Why trade up when we can just get Keenan Allen. That guy will still be there at #25. And like someone said previously, I dont think there is any player worth trading up for. There are still some great players that we can get late in the 1st round.
I was thinking that the only guy I would trade up for would be Dee Millner, the consensus best CB in the draft. If we could get him with a package of picks that didn't include both of our first round picks, it would be a real coup. I'd go 1/2/4 for Millner, assuming he's as good as advertised. Every other position seems to have another guy who is almost as good, and likely to be available when we pick at #23.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:I'd trade up for Xavier Rhodes.
Lots of mocks show he'll be available for us if we sit tight. Especially if other teams are trading up to get the WR's they think we covet.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I hope Spielman doesn't run his draft based on projections and mocks! "There won't be a run" "This guy or that guy will be there at our pick".

And if he out thinks himself and passes on a WR, and in the 2nd there's a run? There's millions of ways this could go. I think the only way it won't go is how the "consensus" says it will!!!
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

The tradeup is supposedly only being put out there if the Vikings can keep that 25th pick.

I'd guess it would be a trade up to secure Patterson, and maybe they don't really feel they have a pressing need for that second or third rounder (or maybe picks next year). Otherwise, they'll get good value that fits their needs where they're at. Spielman's in a pretty nice spot, I can't blame him for wanting to play the field a little.
-Rus
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

headless_norseman wrote: Clueless.

No offense.
Everyone who has opinions always has opinions about everyone else's opinions.

Considering that there are going to probably be good options at WR in the second round, I wouldn't be half surprised if the Vikings go defense in this draft. You have a coaching staff that is probably weighted, experience-wise, towards defense, Chris Spielman's brother for a GM, and teams began killing the Vikings last year when they realized they could rush at will up the middle by blocking out Kevin Williams. Williams is past his prime, the current group that mans that other tackle spot isn't anything special, there's no middle linebacker, and Winfield just left the team. Plus, Jared Allen is past his prime, the whole defensive line's contracts will be up next year, and most of their younger talent is currently in their secondary. Among the front 7, Chad Greenway is the only sure thing anymore.

Yeah, I wouldn't be THAT surprised if he went defense with both picks, too. I couldn't possibly care less if you thought that was a clueless thing to say on my behalf, either. So, I'm not offended when you think my opinion is "clueless", either, because my opinion is that your opinion is wrong already. ;)
-Rus
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Lately. there has tended to be a little more truth than fantasy to these rumors. I don't think there's anything to be gained by trying to run a game on anyone, so if the Vikings have been calling around trying to move up, there's probably a reason. I'm thinking that it may very well be a defender rather than a WR that the Vikings desperately want. But who could that be?

Rhodes? Hayden? Ogletree? Could it even be Te'o that they don't want to chance not being there at #23? I wonder how far they're trying to move up.
MV711
Backup

Post by MV711 »

Hard to believe that the Vikings would want to move up in this draft for a WR considering how deep this draft is with receivers. IMO that would be a huge mistake and a step backwards from what they accomplished in the draft last season. Speilman and the Vikings had a great draft last season and the Vikings need if anything to trade down all things considered. Every position of need for the Vikings is good in this draft and there really isn't that much separation between the top rated players at areas of need. I hope the Vikings stay put or trade down, we need more picks not less.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

GBFavreFan wrote: So what is the game? What is the smokescreen? What impression is he trying to create and to what gain? I don't see the benefit of this being a "smokescreen" because I don't know what he would be attempting to cover up.

For that reason I think he does want to trade up, but I don't know for which position, but WR doesn't seem to make sense since there will be many available at #23 and #25.
Sometimes you can effect the outcome by NOT being involved. By letting other teams believe you have certain intentions, they may trade up ahead of you and not with you. They may overpay in draft picks (which might weaken future strength of said team, say, the Packers) They may leave a player on the board that they might not have otherwise. If you can effect the outcome before your pick, you may have an advantage.
Speilman has done well so far and has only taken trades that have benefited the Vikings. His job is not to make friends with the players or to be perceived as a nice guy or to be a source of information for fans before the draft. Personally, I hope he is a cold hearted SOB and fields a talent filled team. I think all this loyalty to players is a bit too much. The best teams have NO problem letting good players go when they think it is time to go.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

dkoby wrote:I hope he is a cold hearted SOB and fields a talent filled team.
Haha yes, that might be a bit extreme but I agree. I like what he's done in his draft history here so I'll trust in his abilities and not take media reports at face value. The news that the Vikings are looking to trade up for a WR can work to the team's advantage in a variety of ways, regardless of what their true intentions are. I'm guessing it's a half-truth: they are indeed sending out feelers to see what it would take to move up, but the target might not be a WR.

What were the last two news items involving the Vikings? Winfield getting released and KWill restructuring and likely being gone next year. Along with the KWill story is the tidbit that most of the D line is also in the final year of their contracts. And oh yeah, the team desperately needs a MLB. Signs strongly point to us going heavy defense in this draft, so why not try to get a news story out there that you're looking to trade up in round 1 for a WR? Get people talking and thinking about that instead of the stuff with Winfield and Williams. Look at this from Spielman's perspective: he's sitting with two picks at the bottom of round 1 and the whole way this draft is going to unfold in front of him is looking kinda murky. Why not try to stir the pot a bit and try to manipulate the way things play out?
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

MV711 wrote:Hard to believe that the Vikings would want to move up in this draft for a WR considering how deep this draft is with receivers. IMO that would be a huge mistake and a step backwards from what they accomplished in the draft last season. Speilman and the Vikings had a great draft last season and the Vikings need if anything to trade down all things considered. Every position of need for the Vikings is good in this draft and there really isn't that much separation between the top rated players at areas of need. I hope the Vikings stay put or trade down, we need more picks not less.
true but tavon Austin and greg Jennings plus Adrian Peterson on offense. WOW !
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

How so? When the WRs were asked what will you do with your first pay check he said "I'm giving it to my mom for helping me out for 21 years". The other WRs said "BMW" or "Mercedes".

Classic Packer trolling
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.