Favorite Ponder Throw vs. Packers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Dark
Transition Player

Re: Favorite Ponder Throw vs. Packers

Post by Dark »

Ponder does have bad dynamics, makes bad decisions, and throws like he's in high school, but its not all on him, like mothman said. Our WR's are horrible, our blocking could be better, and the play calling can be ridiculous sometimes. Lets face it, our whole offense is disfunctional. I still think ponder is the majority of our problem, but it's not all on him.
ADMVP & CCHOF
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

GBFavreFan wrote:I forgot one last throw and was reminded when Tramon Williams was levied a fine for the tackle today. That throw that Ponder threw to a wide open Toby Gerhart but the throw was so high and to the left, that Toby had to leap up higher than he ever did before and turn his back to the closing defender and stretched himself so completely leaving him completely vulnerable for the typical cheap shot Packer secondary hit with that awful helmet to helmet shot that I knew was going to hurt Toby as soon as that stupid ball was thrown. So let's add endangering player's health to the list of why Ponder needs to go.
:roll: I'm sure he's stealing candy from little kids too.

It wasn't a good throw but Gerhart didn't do himself any favors on that play. He was backpedaling early, mis-timed his jump and did as much to set himself up for a big hit as Ponder did. His inexperience catching a pass from that position showed and he looked awkward in an (admirable) effort.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Now people are making up excuses for Ponder leaving receivers out to dry.

Over 20 starts in and still Ponder apologists defending his every blunder. :?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote:Now people are making up excuses for Ponder leaving receivers out to dry.

Over 20 starts in and still Ponder apologists defending his every blunder. :?
:lol:

I made it all up. I didn't watch the play from 3 different angles and describe what I saw...

Oh, wait. That is what I did... and I said it wasn't a good throw too so where, exactly, was the apology for Ponder? I forgot: everyone on the offense is playing beyond a Pro Bowl level. They're playing perfect football on every play and it's only the incompetence of the QB that drags them all down. Every hit on a receiver, bad snap from center, missed block, dropped pass, etc. is Ponder's fault. It's remarkable!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I was referring more to the post about our oline can't block our receivers are terrible. Like Ponder isn't significantly worse compared to any of them. Even when they do their job, he doesn't do his. Surround the guy with talent everywhere else and you've still got average quarterback play.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote:I was referring more to the post about our oline can't block our receivers are terrible.
Then I apologize for the heavy-handed sarcasm, although in Dark's defense, he said the blocking could be better, not that they can't block.
Like Ponder isn't significantly worse compared to any of them. Even when they do their job, he doesn't do his. Surround the guy with talent everywhere else and you've still got average quarterback play.
That last comment is probably true...

I think one of the problems we're having on this board lately is that we're all guilty at times of overstating things or worrying too much about who gets the most blame. I obviously overstated my sarcastic response above and again, I apologize. However, it's also an overstatement to say that even when the receivers and blockers do their jobs, Ponder doesn't do his. If that were true, he wouldn't have 14 TD passes or the 2300+ yards passing he has this season. I'm not saying those are particularly good numbers, just that they indicate Ponder gets things right sometimes too.

Ponder may be worse than his blockers or his healthy receivers but too often, when those other players are called out for their own mistakes, there seems to be a determination to bring things back around to Ponder. Even if Ponder owns the biggest slice of the blame pie, can't we all just agree he doesn't have the only slice?
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

Our whole offense is disfunctional and at times, very pathetic. The quarterback is a very important part of the offense, but he wont be as succesful if he doesn't have good wr's and blockers on his team. Some qb's, like manning or brees, can make a crappy team great just because of them. Who knows, ponder could be better if he was on a different team.
ADMVP & CCHOF
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Even if Ponder owns the biggest slice of the blame pie, can't we all just agree he doesn't have the only slice?
No he's not the only slice, but you get a better quarterback, and every other slices production improves. You get a receiver, or a guard, and the lack of a quarterback is still going to mean you're getting less than the maximum return from every other position on offense.