Adrian Peterson Indicted for Negligent Injury to a Child

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Re: Adrian Peterson Indicted for Negligent Injury to a Child

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Not just today, but arguably the best RB of all-time. We'll leave that discussion for another day though.

I still feel there's gray area here though. I'm not insensitive to child abuse by any means, but pictures and a story of one "whooping" doesn't tell me the whole story. We don't know too much about AP's personal life. The shock of a child of his being beaten to death just last year caught a lot of people off guard and we began to wonder just how responsible Adrian is to have had an illegitimate kid like that. Do we still fully know this? Outside of discipline, does he show love and affection towards his children? Does he reward as often or more than he disciplines? I bring this up because discipline can be demonstrated as tough love, if in fact, that child is loved, recognized, etc. To me that makes a huge difference. If he's just procreating all these kids and negligently smacking them up just to do it or out of frustration, then that, to me, is child abuse.

Maybe this was the worst "whooping" he ever gave and truly felt bad, as his texts to that boys mother suggest (no way using that as evidence to defend Peterson. It's easy to lie in a text) and maybe he really did feel bad. Maybe...He made a big mistake. Does the outcry need to be so damning? All the public sees is this one incident. I just ask and hope that we find out to what degree of a father AP is and if this was one time where he went too far or if this is a common theme of his fathering.

And I understand times have changed and all that jazz, but let's be real...Genetics passed down a lot more than just bone structure. To be completely fair, we must realize that this is the best form of discipline for black families in the south. If that's all you know and you felt it turned you out for the better, why go against that?

Charles Barkley mentioned it on CBS this morning. "if that's child abuse, then every black parent in the south should be in jail." It's bigger than just this one incident.

I know it's long, but I'm really hoping that any response is more of a discussion. I can handle differing opinions, just don't come at me like I'm insensitive or don't grasp the issue at hand.

That is all for now.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Because good RBs are a dime a dozen. Most teams don't have anything close to an AD. And if AD gets hurt, or loses his mind and beats a kid, its throws a huge wrench into how the offense should run. At least spending the kind of money on a great QB, we will always have that QB. Unless he too, like beating up kids.
So in other words, this situation is not a good reason why you don't build your team around an RB.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Not just today, but arguably the best RB of all-time. We'll leave that discussion for another day though.

I still feel there's gray area here though. I'm not insensitive to child abuse by any means, but pictures and a story of one "whooping" doesn't tell me the whole story. We don't know too much about AP's personal life. The shock of a child of his being beaten to death just last year caught a lot of people off guard and we began to wonder just how responsible Adrian is to have had an illegitimate kid like that. Do we still fully know this? Outside of discipline, does he show love and affection towards his children? Does he reward as often or more than he disciplines? I bring this up because discipline can be demonstrated as tough love, if in fact, that child is loved, recognized, etc. To me that makes a huge difference. If he's just procreating all these kids and negligently smacking them up just to do it or out of frustration, then that, to me, is child abuse.

Maybe this was the worst "whooping" he ever gave and truly felt bad, as his texts to that boys mother suggest (no way using that as evidence to defend Peterson. It's easy to lie in a text) and maybe he really did feel bad. Maybe...He made a big mistake. Does the outcry need to be so damning? All the public sees is this one incident. I just ask and hope that we find out to what degree of a father AP is and if this was one time where he went too far or if this is a common theme of his fathering.

And I understand times have changed and all that jazz, but let's be real...Genetics passed down a lot more than just bone structure. To be completely fair, we must realize that this is the best form of discipline for black families in the south. If that's all you know and you felt it turned you out for the better, why go against that?

Charles Barkley mentioned it on CBS this morning. "if that's child abuse, then every black parent in the south should be in jail." It's bigger than just this one incident.

I know it's long, but I'm really hoping that any response is more of a discussion. I can handle differing opinions, just don't come at me like I'm insensitive or don't grasp the issue at hand.

That is all for now.
I was on board until I got here. And I will respectfully ignore your request to not act like you made an insensitive statement.

You just made a very definitive statement. Outside of the fact that you made a statement claiming the single best way to parent a child, you specifically targeted an ethnic group and geographic region. Your genetics comment is open for interpretation, and I'm not going to open that box...but feel free to clarify.

You seem level headed and seem to have put some thought into this. I would really like you to revise or expand on this segment, because I feel like it might not have come across the way you intended.

With that said, what Charles Barkley thinks means very little. Charles Barkley isn't exactly the baron of intelligence or morality. And again, whether Peterson meant to be negligent or not, he was. I'm not one of the people who thinks he should get the Ray Rice treatment, but he should be punished and have to learn from his mistake. A slap on the wrist makes this seem less important than it is, and if the practice is as common as you say, then everybody needs to know what is at stake when they do "all they know".
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Well, thank you for posting that. Admittedly, I posted that out of ignorance and because I've taken a lot of what I've read over the past two days as it being more common, if you will, down south and also correlating with a lot of african-americans who have chimed in on the subject.

Now, despite peoples individual opinions on Charles Barkley, I really listen to what the man says because he's not out to sugarcoat anything and isn't worried about being accepted by everyone. He also happens to have been raised in the south and spoke freely about how where he grew up, that's all they knew as far as discipline and that it doesn't just apply to one in fifty households, but it's way more prevalent than that.

I'm not a father. I don't have that experience. Again...pardon my ignorance. But, there's a fine line when it comes to raising kids. This one time, we know for sure that Adrian crossed it. Does that overall make him a bad parent if for some reason he didn't feel it would inflict the kind of wounds and harm that it did? I don't know. That's what I'm asking.

As far as his punishment...I definitely was NOT suggesting he gets a slap on the wrist. Not at all. I think he deserves to be suspended and fined. I wouldn't have a problem if it were for an entire season. What I AM concerned with his public perception and because this being so hot button that people are quick to judge an entire person or action based on one incident.

Lastly, I'm truly sorry if it came across as insensitive. I'm not insensitive to the issue at all. My statement is one thing, poorly written to clarify a point, maybe, but insensitive to the issue...No. I apologize for how it came across and I respect and appreciated your feedback. I'll take that humility and learn from it. No doubt.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

at least we can still be proud of the rest of the franchise.
AD last week? Nope.
Special teams coordinator coming off suspension this week? Nope.
Wide receiver coming off suspension the following week? Nope.

Highest arrest rate in entire LEAGUE in recent history? Nope....
frosted
Career Elite Player

Adrian Peterson Indicted for Negligent Injury to a Child

Post by frosted »

Demi wrote:
AD last week? Nope.
Special teams coordinator coming off suspension this week? Nope.
Wide receiver coming off suspension the following week? Nope.

Highest arrest rate in entire LEAGUE in recent history? Nope....
Do we really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by frosted on Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Well, thank you for posting that. Admittedly, I posted that out of ignorance and because I've taken a lot of what I've read over the past two days as it being more common, if you will, down south and also correlating with a lot of african-americans who have chimed in on the subject.

Now, despite peoples individual opinions on Charles Barkley, I really listen to what the man says because he's not out to sugarcoat anything and isn't worried about being accepted by everyone. He also happens to have been raised in the south and spoke freely about how where he grew up, that's all they knew as far as discipline and that it doesn't just apply to one in fifty households, but it's way more prevalent than that.

I'm not a father. I don't have that experience. Again...pardon my ignorance. But, there's a fine line when it comes to raising kids. This one time, we know for sure that Adrian crossed it. Does that overall make him a bad parent if for some reason he didn't feel it would inflict the kind of wounds and harm that it did? I don't know. That's what I'm asking.

As far as his punishment...I definitely was NOT suggesting he gets a slap on the wrist. Not at all. I think he deserves to be suspended and fined. I wouldn't have a problem if it were for an entire season. What I AM concerned with his public perception and because this being so hot button that people are quick to judge an entire person or action based on one incident.

Lastly, I'm truly sorry if it came across as insensitive. I'm not insensitive to the issue at all. My statement is one thing, poorly written to clarify a point, maybe, but insensitive to the issue...No. I apologize for how it came across and I respect and appreciated your feedback. I'll take that humility and learn from it. No doubt.
I understand your points, and think it came out a lot better this time. I still question whether Charles Barkley at 51 years old is as acquainted with current parenting practices as he believes.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

frosted21 wrote: Do we really? What is our arrest rate in 'recent history'? In fact, what number of years is 'recent history'? Do tell. I didn't know these statistics were readily available. I am so interested to hear what else you have to say!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't remember the time period, but it's true. That said, I'm not sure what the past has to do with the present decision.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

DKSweets wrote:I don't remember the time period, but it's true. That said, I'm not sure what the past has to do with the present decision.
Not sure about that. But if you want to check it.

http://www.utsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-database/
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Seems a bit sketchy, especially because it seems it based off the opinion of how a source close to the vikings thinks they will think. Either way i still believe it may be correct. I can't see the vikings releasing him unless there is another huge twist in the case, they're very open to the idea of trading him how ever wont get anything worth value in return and probably are not ready to give up there mvp for a bowl of soup.

http://nypost.com/2014/09/15/source-vik ... trade-him/
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

"Officially" the Vikings are considering all options regarding how to handle the Peterson situation, according to ESPN
ESPN wrote: Minnesota Vikings executive vice president and general manager Rick Spielman said Sunday that "all options are on the table" when it comes to how the team will handle the allegations against running back Adrian Peterson.
Zimmer had the following to say about the loss of Peterson yesterday:
ESPN wrote: "We've got to go on and go about it. It's just part of life," Zimmer said. "Would we have liked to have him? Sure. But I think any time you lose your best player, it's a team game. Everybody has to step up. I'm sure that when [Packers quarterback Aaron] Rodgers went down last year that Green Bay had to suck it up and go, so we've got to suck it up, too. We didn't today."
More at the Link...
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Raptorman wrote:Not sure about that. But if you want to check it.

http://www.utsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-database/
Google "vikings lead nfl arrests"

http://www.minnpost.com/glean/2014/09/v ... rests-2000
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: Peterson made a mistake, he went overboard disciplining his kid and feels remorse. He'll deal with the consequences from a legal standpoint (most likely no jail time) and the NFL will suspend him a few games under the personal conduct policy. The Vikings shouldn't give into to public pressure here like the Ravens did.

People need to stop pushing the child abuse narrative too. This wasn't child abuse or he would have been charged with that. Reckless and negligent injury to a child is the official charge. There's a difference.

Had he physically abused this kid like how his other son was murdered that's one thing. He was disciplining his child, in the way he was brought up, and is very common in the south, and took it a little too far.

Disagreeing with physical discipline of children and thinking what he did was wrong is one thing and everyone has a right to believe what they want, but the whole "Peterson is a monster, cut his #### and throw him and jail" is a little overboard.
I agree, the monster stuff has gone off the rails with this. I understand the emotion that drove it off because the situation is so terrible, but it's gone overboard. He's not an inhuman, evil monster. He's a very, very misguided Father who was trying to administer the same "tough love" he was brought up with, which he was raised to believe was the "right way". This wasn't a random, violent outburst. This was a Father trying to punish or correct a misbehaving Child. The methods were just completely unacceptable in a civilized society and they call for Adrian to take some punishment of his own because of it. Adrian is going to have to live with the consequences for those actions, and take steps to correct or modify his behavior to redeem himself and become a better Father.

I don't hate Adrian, I pity him for having to be raised that way, I'm angry at him for not being smart enough to know better, I'm irritated about the distraction he's caused to my Favorite team. I just can't hate him. I have it in my heart to forgive him if he takes the proper steps, but he needs to make a genuine effort to right this wrong.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

I wish the references to religion would stop. Deeply religious men do not have multiple illegitimate children and father children they don't even know they have and lead lives with multiple broken home scenarios.

Guy's trying to have it both ways.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

Valhalla wrote: My point here is it seems he is feeling the heat from being judged and it would be terrible. It's part of the situation. I'm not going to get into the name-calling aspect of it. I think we all know that.
We are all judged in society on our actions. Peterson has done something that society is really struggling with. He's got plenty of money to hire the best attorneys to influence that judgement. Unlike you and I. I don't feel sorry for him. He's rich and by now, he should know better than to severely punish a child in which he only shares custody. He must know that the women in these broken home situations aren't going to see things his way.

Not sure what name calling you are referring to.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945