Stadium thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Stadium thread

Post by Eli »

Rus wrote:Here's the thing about cities: There are more people in them than the countryside. True story.
There are not. The population density is greater, but in and around most metro areas the population of the suburbs and outlying towns is far greater than in the city. And because there are more people in the outlying areas, that's where most people attending a game in the city will be coming from.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Eli wrote: There are not. The population density is greater, but in and around most metro areas the population of the suburbs and outlying towns is far greater than in the city. And because there are more people in the outlying areas, that's where most people attending a game in the city will be coming from.
There are more people in the outlying areas total ... but that's not exactly what you're looking for when you're talking about being close to as many people as possible. Population density is the name of that game.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Cliff wrote:There are more people in the outlying areas total ... but that's not exactly what you're looking for when you're talking about being close to as many people as possible.
That hasn't been what I've been talking about. I've been talking about convenience, ease of commuting to a game, ease of parking, ease of getting out after a game. "Close", in miles, is meaningless when you can drive 10 miles on a interstate in 10 minutes. There's a reason why few large stadiums are built in the middle of cities and it's not just because the land is difficult to acquire. If you offer no parking, it really doesn't take a whole lot of land, as can be seen in Minneapolis.

If you take a city like New York, it's a lot different. You can easily fill a 60,000 seat stadium from people living only within the city and mass transit is such that several million people have easy access. There probably aren't five cities in the US like that.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

What's next for Vikings after hard-fought stadium triumph?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... um-triumph
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Lester Bagley on call now to talk #Vikings stadium. Just finished briefing at Metrodome to downtown council. Encouraged by collaboration.
First call about the new stadium is from a guy wanting to eliminate troughs in the bathrooms. Bagley says his sense is yes, that'll happen.
Next step on stadium is selecting an architect. Mark WIlf says plan is to involve fans. "And I'm pretty confident on the trough issue."
Bagley says architect on board in next 60 to 90 days, then over 6 to 9 months design facility. Will take feedback from fans, sponsors
Bagley says every current season ticket holder will have the opportunity to purchase the same seat. Wilf says mid-'13 begin construction.
Bagley on PSLs: "We're taking a hard look at them." Do believe viable in market. Will have additional fan focus groups to determine support.
Mark Wilf says they're taking a hard look at retractable roof. Have looked at Miami's new baseball park as intriguing model. Still thinking

Tom Pelissero on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Bagley says #Vikings would like to have skyline visible from inside stadium -- "some retractable feature is very important to us."
Bagley says #Vikings committed to having a plaza, gathering areas. Want to expand tailgating opportunities, probably to the south.
Mark Wilf says #Vikings haven't decided whether there will be a separate hall of fame or spot within building, but there will be something.
Mark Wilf: "Most importantly, we're going to save room for at least one, and hopefully more Lombardi Trophies to display." #Vikings
Tom Pelissero on Twitter
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Here here!!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Here here!!
Minnesota and the Vikings got incredibly lucky to get an owner like Wilf. Sure, he came in green but he has finally improved the organizational structure and how many others would have stayed the course and got the stadium deal done before either giving up and selling the team or moving?

The issue with Harvin is the kind of thing that could happen on any team and the fact that it got put out in a matter of a few days is a sign that things are changing as well.

Even if they might not be immediately successful it seems like the team finally has a solid internal structure and they have ironed out a lot of wrinkles with their policies and the way the run the team.

For a 3-13 team I feel pretty optimistic about the team and it's largely due to the fact that I think Zigi is a dedicated owner who actually seems to be learning how to do his job.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

:thumbsup:
wilf was a pitbull thats for sure. love this guy. most would have given up and went for the big market.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

hibbingviking wrote::thumbsup:
wilf was a pitbull thats for sure. love this guy. most would have given up and went for the big market.
I was on StarTrib reading about how FEMA declined aid to Duluth, and some moron blamed the Vikings stadium for that. They used all the money on the stadium, they said, no money is left for Duluth. And people wonder why the world is going down hill. I can't believe some of these peple can even get out of bed without hurting themselves.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Please use this thread going forward for discussions on the build, etc
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24905