Adrian Peterson Indicted for Negligent Injury to a Child

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Adrian Peterson Indicted for Negligent Injury to a Child

Post by Purple bruise »

frosted21 wrote: Keep in mind, I stated that FOR myself, this is the most bizarre, sickening experience I have had with sports. None of those other incidents occurred: A. When I was old enough to understand them fully and B. (Most importantly) None of those things hit as close to home for me, as Adrian's situation, considering he's a Viking and one of my favorite players. When you become so invested in a team and player, these things sting. They feel like they are happening to a personal friend, not just a celebrity athlete. Again, this is how I FEEL, so I don't know that you can really dispute that, as I am speaking for no one but myself. I would appreciate if you didn't respond to my thoughts and opinions with sarcastic comments like the one above, and I will do the same for you. I completely respect your point of view, and would ask that you respect mine as well. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had no idea that you are so young. I guess being older I have seen and experienced much much worse things in life and although this is rather sickening, compared to what is going on in our world, it just does not shock or effect me as much as some. Sorry if I upset you though :wink:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

frosted21 wrote:Keep in mind, I stated that FOR myself, this is the most bizarre, sickening experience I have had with sports. None of those other incidents occurred: A. When I was old enough to understand them fully and B. (Most importantly) None of those things hit as close to home for me, as Adrian's situation, considering he's a Viking and one of my favorite players. When you become so invested in a team and player, these things sting. They feel like they are happening to a personal friend, not just a celebrity athlete. Again, this is how I FEEL, so I don't know that you can really dispute that, as I am speaking for no one but myself. I would appreciate if you didn't respond to my thoughts and opinions with sarcastic comments like the one above, and I will do the same for you. I completely respect your point of view, and would ask that you respect mine as well. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some words of advice from a longtime Vikings fan, (1966) Don't put players on pedestals. They will only disappoint you in the long run. They are human just like the rest of us and once you think you know them, they will destroy your trust. The same with the team. Remember it is a business. There is no longer any loyalty between teams and players. When it comes time to let a player go, the team will do it. They don't listen to what fans want. And always remember, it's a game. A game adults get paid to play. Nothing more.

Situations like this are one of the reasons I don't buy jersey's. I bought one last year for my son so he could wear it during jersey day at his school. I bought it big enough he can wear it this year. Anyone wanna guess whose jersey I bought him? The one player I thought was safe from controversy.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I thought this article was worth reading:

Peterson discipline was 'intergenerational transmission'
University of Texas associate Prof. Elizabeth Gershoff said the felony charge facing Peterson is rooted in “intergenerational transmission” — when patterns of child raising are repeated, parents using the same methods of discipline they experienced as children.

“Most of these parents are hitting their kids because they think it’s the right thing to do and they don’t know any other way,” said Gershoff, who has researched how parental discipline affects child development and how poverty, neighborhoods, schools and cultures affect children and families.
Getting help

Community standards remain a key factor in attitudes toward corporal punishment.

Gershoff’s research has shown that African-Americans are more likely to use corporal punishment on their kids and have argued that it’s part of their culture.

In a 2012 study, she looked into whether African-American children benefit from physical punishment.

Her finding was that they don’t, and that the children suffered the same negative long-term effects as did children of other races.

“I don’t think people can keep using that defense when we know any kind of hitting is harmful to children,” she said.

Treatment and punishment can be just as fraught. Bransford said Peterson needs treatment from a male African-American therapist who “can talk the same language and respect what he’s saying,” Bransford said.

He argued that Peterson can get qualified confidential help in Minnesota.

“My hope is the Vikings will show a little bit more wisdom than the Baltimore Ravens,” he said.

Gershoff said it’s important for parents to understand that hitting a child with an object is not OK. She was also hopeful about Peterson’s future.

“I have no reason to believe he is anything other than a parent who wants to do right by his kid,” she said. “He can be educated about the harm he’s done and still be a good parent.”
Skoltastic_Voyage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Skoltastic_Voyage »

Raptorman wrote:
Situations like this are one of the reasons I don't buy jersey's. I bought one last year for my son so he could wear it during jersey day at his school. I bought it big enough he can wear it this year. Anyone wanna guess whose jersey I bought him? The one player I thought was safe from controversy.
Ponder?
My guide to being a Vikings fan:
Step 1.) Drink beer.
Step 2.) See step 1.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Skoltastic_Voyage wrote: Ponder?
He would have been the safer choice. The real question is, Do I let my son wear it this year on jersey day? Or do it tell him what happened and let him make the choice. He is 10 and very advanced for his age.
Odlid
Backup

Post by Odlid »

The whole situation makes me sick and not just because it involves a Viking. I find crimes against children to be the most vile. As a father of two, I just can not wrap my mind around the actions that AP took to discipline his son. I don't buy the arguments that "this was how he was raised" or "he didn't intend on harming". AP is an incredible athlete, but a turd as a human being. I don't except ignorance or stupidity as a defense...

My 13 year old son was a huge AP fan. The Vikes play the Bills in October and we got tickets to go as part of his birthday gift. My son won't be wearing his AP jersey because "he hurts kids". Last night he boxed up all of his AP memorabilia that he had in his room.

I do have to applaud the Vikings organization for how they have handled this thus far.

Sad...
Last edited by Odlid on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback; and not necessarily in that order." - Bud Grant
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Raptorman wrote: He would have been the safer choice. The real question is, Do I let my son wear it this year on jersey day? Or do it tell him what happened and let him make the choice. He is 10 and very advanced for his age.
My advice (and it's worth every penny you are paying for it :lol: ) would be to let him know what Peterson is accused of doing. Don't need the graphic details, just that Peterson punished a boy harsher than he should have, and may have to be punished himself for doing that. I would explain that these athletes are people like us and make mistakes, and in this case if we wore his jersey, it might seem to others like we were saying it was "OK" what Peterson did, and that's 'probably not the message' we want to send. Maybe things will come out later that might change our opinion, but (for now) we aren't going to wear his jersey just to avoid sending the "wrong message" to others. So, I guess you are not really 'giving him the choice' but you are explaining why your preference would be to not wear the jersey. Tough call...
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

I've had a tough time dealing with this one because I am such a huge fan of AD. The pictures and medical descriptions really say it all. It was child abuse.

It really, really hurts to type this, but I believe the Vikings should release him.

:(
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Just Me wrote: My advice (and it's worth every penny you are paying for it :lol: ) would be to let him know what Peterson is accused of doing. Don't need the graphic details, just that Peterson punished a boy harsher than he should have, and may have to be punished himself for doing that. I would explain that these athletes are people like us and make mistakes, and in this case if we wore his jersey, it might seem to others like we were saying it was "OK" what Peterson did, and that's 'probably not the message' we want to send. Maybe things will come out later that might change our opinion, but (for now) we aren't going to wear his jersey just to avoid sending the "wrong message" to others. So, I guess you are not really 'giving him the choice' but you are explaining why your preference would be to not wear the jersey. Tough call...
You know what's really sad. It's not the kids in his school I am worried about. It's some stupid parent who might say something to him. That's what worries me. Then I would have to go ballistic on the that parent for making comments to my son. I am not worried about my boy. He makes good decisions. I will explain what happened and the fact that he might hear comments from someone and let him make the decision. He is growing so fast by next year it won't fit him anyway.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

Valhalla wrote:
I'm not out to defend Peterson but I do figure that he was brought up with the strap, this form of corporal punishment. And still, a good portion of people who were brought up with corporal punishment never did anything apparently this severe to others. I wonder if Peterson got this in an abusive way when he was younger.
[/quote]

Please don't compare Peterson to men who marry their wives, live with their children, and spank them only on occasion.

Enough with that comparison. He doesn't deserve to be compared to those kind of non-absentee fathers.

That said, neither of my parents beat me (and I'm in my mid-50s) and I never thought of beating my children. To me, it's a primitive custom. But what's worse is messing around with tons of women and without contraceptives and then having the chutzpah to beat THEIR children. There is nothing about this story with which I can personally relate, other than the fact that he likes to have sex. That's it.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Seems to me that Cris Carter put it best. If we can't be proud of the player, at least we can still be proud of the rest of the franchise.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vide ... line091414
"My mom did the best job she could do raising seven kids by herself. But there are thousands of things I've learned since then that my mom was wrong. This is the 21st century. My mom was wrong; she did the best she could but she was wrong about some of that stuff she taught me," Carter continued. "And I promise my kids I won't teach that mess to them. You can't beat a kid to make them do what they want to do."
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

CC nailed it.

Glad he's proud of the Vikings too. Makes me feel better.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

You cant harm a kid, period. Unless he is somehow going to cause death to someone else. More and more I am thinking the Vikings will do some kind of a deal with AD. I sure hope they can keep what he did out of their minds as they negotiate. This is so sad, and a good reason why you don't build your team, and spend everything you have, on a RB. Even if he is the best in the NFL today.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:You cant harm a kid, period. Unless he is somehow going to cause death to someone else. More and more I am thinking the Vikings will do some kind of a deal with AD. I sure hope they can keep what he did out of their minds as they negotiate. This is so sad, and a good reason why you don't build your team, and spend everything you have, on a RB. Even if he is the best in the NFL today.
Because only RBs do bad things? Or if it was a QB you'd have been OK with the conduct? I'm confused. Just asking, really. I get that putting that kind of money into an RB is a fool's errand, generally, given the nature of the position, but I am not sure how the act itself is a reason not to tie money up in an RB.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

frosted21 wrote: Because only RBs do bad things? Or if it was a QB you'd have been OK with the conduct? I'm confused. Just asking, really. I get that putting that kind of money into an RB is a fool's errand, generally, given the nature of the position, but I am not sure how the act itself is a reason not to tie money up in an RB.
Because good RBs are a dime a dozen. Most teams don't have anything close to an AD. And if AD gets hurt, or loses his mind and beats a kid, its throws a huge wrench into how the offense should run. At least spending the kind of money on a great QB, we will always have that QB. Unless he too, like beating up kids.