Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:37 am
Texas Vike wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:08 am This is poached from Reddit:

Edit to add the link mentioned: https://247sports.com/college/michigan/ ... 181954871/
It’s strange how much I’ve come around on Harbaugh. Maybe it’s desperation, but I’m actually excited about this!

Can’t wait for today’s Purple Daily podcast. It’s Tuesday, which means Alex Boone day. Boone went to the Super Bowl with Harbaugh. I know he’s going to have a ton of insight.
Me too, Kapp. Somehow, it feels right under the circumstances. I guess I mean that I like what I'm hearing: that KAM has worked with him and so knows him and thinks very highly of him. There are reportedly folks in the organization who have hesitations based on his reputation, especially as it relates to his strength as a collaborator. This is what gave some of us pause when the rumors started swirling. I like that they are doing their due diligence on this point. My gut tells me that KAM and Harbaugh both feel like they can work harmoniously. I suspect, in fact, that part of what attracts Harbaugh to the Vikings is the fact that KAM is the GM. Harbaugh is a big persona. His presence fills a room. KAM strikes me as a guy NOT about ego, but about collaboration and the collective. I just get the sense that they'll mix well and prosper. Or maybe my optimist tendencies are blinding me to warning signs. Who knows?
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

StanM wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:52 am
allday1991 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:22 am

Seen this as well, what could the possible reasoning be. These guys dream of being a HC and he turned it down. Why?
Maybe it’s as simple as deciding against spending winters in Minnesota. It’s not just the coach candidate. The whole family needs to be on board. Not saying it is but a lot of factors go into these personal decisions, same as any one of us thinking about accepting a position that requires relocating.
Totally. As someone who grew up in MN, moved (far) away and lived in a large variety of places (culture, geography, climate, languages) I struggle with the idea of ever moving back. On the one hand, I love it and think it is a really high quality place to live, but that weather is brutal, especially once you've moved away from it. Everyone's different and has different criteria for the kind of place they want to live.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

allday1991 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:22 am
4mnvikes1982 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:07 am Looks like Demico Ryan's decline to 2nd interview
Seen this as well, what could the possible reasoning be. These guys dream of being a HC and he turned it down. Why?
Late last night on SiriusXM radio, Gil Brandt and host seemed to imply that Demico Ryans opted to stay in SF more due to inklings Harbaugh had the MIN job to lose. That is NOT an exact quote and maybe I misheard. They never mentioned that DR might think he's "not ready". They also said these candidates are always leery of maybe not getting another chance, so dropping out was "very strange".

Could have been as simple as DR or his agent asking "if I come in on Tuesday and knock your socks off, will I be offered the job before I leave?" and the answer being "no, we are interviewing JH on Wednesday".
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:51 pm Per NFL Rumors:
Breaking: The Minnesota Vikings could name Jim Harbaugh their HC as early as tomorrow per league source.
I have to admit, I’m confused. Is Harbaugh really Mr. Collaboration?
I'm sorry that I don't know how to easily copy and paste parts of multiple posts. But thanks for the clarification on your view. Here's mine.

My skepticism started with the post above, and you seem to be skeptical here as well. And this "source" isn't exactly credible. In fact, this post was last Sunday. They interviewed him via phone or Zoom on Saturday, so naming him as HC on Monday was ludicrous if not nearly impossible. Do you think the Wilfs are going to hire someone without even an in-person interview? Do you think Harbaugh would even take a job without an in-person interview? Plus, the Vikings still had not fulfilled the Rooney rule requirement of a minority interview yet. That would be pretty difficult to fulfill in one day and look very classless if they did.

But much of my skepticism also comes from the fact that the Wilfs and KAM have stressed collaboration throughout the entire collaboration. Does Harbaugh fit that mold?

Kapp, I am around your age as well, as my moniker probably gives away. Many of the older scribes in this town have been skeptical this was going to happen. I don't have quotes offhand since I have heard them either on the radio or on a podcast, but Reusse and Barreiro stated they would be very surprised if it did. And I do occasionally listen to SKOR north and know who Judd Zulgad is. He used to be a writer for the Strib as well. And I am aware of the original source of all of this. In fact Zulgad has an article today that states:

"Bacon, who wrote a 2019 book titled “Overtime: Jim Harbaugh and the Michigan Wolverines at the crossroads of college football,” first tweeted the Vikings were interested in Harbaugh on Jan. 24. Bacon has made it clear he thinks Harbaugh will stay at Michigan, but also has encouraged people not to dismiss the possibility of a move back to the NFL."

Even Bacon thought he would stay at Michigan. I never said I didn't think it was possible, just that I thought it would be unlikely.

And then people on this board seemed to think Harbaugh had an offer from the Vikings already and from Miami as well. Of course he still doesn't, but it certainly looks like it will happen. There wasn't any credible news he had an in person interview with the Vikings until this morning (or maybe late yesterday).
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:52 pm
FWIW, I’ve come to the opinion that I hope the Vikings hire Harbaugh. He’s a winner in the NFL (44-19-1) and he’s great with quarterbacks. That preaches to me.

Thanks.
I don't know what I think of this. Part of me wants them to hire Harbaugh, but part of me is saying this is a huge risk that could crash and burn.

This article in si.com sort of sums up my initial skepticism and thoughts about the potential hire:

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/wou ... ta-vikings

I think it is a fairly balanced opinion on the potential hire. Warning: there may be some speculation!

BTW, do you know SKOR north has a sound bite that sounds out "Reckless Speculation!". :lol:
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

40for60 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:25 am Part of me wants them to hire Harbaugh, but part of me is saying this is a huge risk that could crash and burn.
I'm literally OK with anyone they've mentioned as a candidate. I was hoping for the younger end of the scale, but coaches coming from college at least have to relate to young men to get success, so that's a plus.

In reality the thought of Harbaugh does not bother me, nor would any of the other candidates.

But they ALL have the potential to crash and burn. Every. Single. One. So that never enters my thought process. For me it's more about their ability to form and forge relationships, and we won't know that until they get here for a bit.
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

psjordan wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:49 am
40for60 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:25 am Part of me wants them to hire Harbaugh, but part of me is saying this is a huge risk that could crash and burn.
But they ALL have the potential to crash and burn. Every. Single. One. So that never enters my thought process. For me it's more about their ability to form and forge relationships, and we won't know that until they get here for a bit.
No doubt. And there is an advantage to hiring Harbaugh over the other candidates. He's been a successful head coach. He's had success everywhere he has been. But what gives me pause is a scenario like the author of that article states below. Of course, part of this is speculation on his part and no one knows. And he does point out the advantages of hiring Harbaugh as well. But here it is:
The Vikings now have a difficult salary cap situation, major decisions to make on Cousins, Danielle Hunter, and other expensive, aging veterans, and a defense that needs an influx of talent. Despite the roster still having plenty of win-now pieces, including one of the game's elite wide receivers in Justin Jefferson, a rebuild might once again be the best long-term choice for the franchise's future.

I'm not sure that option would be on the table if Harbaugh comes to town. He desperately wants to win a Super Bowl and might not have any interest in a rebuild that could require his first full season with a losing record since 2008 at Stanford. If Harbaugh is hired and has partial or full control over roster decisions, that might mean another offseason of trying to jam the window open by extending Cousins again and making other win-now moves.

Maybe it would work out this time with Harbaugh at the helm. Or maybe it would flame out in damaging fashion. A cautionary tale Minnesota sports fans are familiar with is the Timberwolves hiring Tom Thibodeau as their coach and president of basketball operations in 2016. Thibodeau, like Harbaugh, had an extremely successful first stint as a head coach (with the Chicago Bulls) come to an end because his intense style wore players down and led to tension with the front office. He got roster control in Minnesota and blew up the future for one playoff appearance before things became a disaster.

I'm not saying Harbaugh is Thibodeau. But with where the Vikings' roster currently stands — and what they've said they're looking for in terms of collaboration and culture — it's possible that the fit isn't ideal.
But I am starting to get excited about it. It certainly is a big splash hire. And regardless of what happens, things won't be boring! But they never seem to be with the Vikings.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

If you want to go down a rabbit hole of the coordinators and staff Harbaugh would hire, check this thread out!

https://www.reddit.com/r/minnesotavikin ... ackground/

My main hesitation with Harbaugh is that he tends to run a conservative offense that is run-first. I'm honestly tired of that approach and have serious doubts about whether that approach can succeed in today's NFL. In another echo of Zimmer, Jim has also hired his son Jay. Despite the nepotism, his son has apparently done some really good work. But do we really want to repeat some of these annoying points we had with Zimmer?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:27 pm If you want to go down a rabbit hole of the coordinators and staff Harbaugh would hire, check this thread out!

My main hesitation with Harbaugh is that he tends to run a conservative offense that is run-first. I'm honestly tired of that approach and have serious doubts about whether that approach can succeed in today's NFL. In another echo of Zimmer, Jim has also hired his son Jay. Despite the nepotism, his son has apparently done some really good work. But do we really want to repeat some of these annoying points we had with Zimmer?
The staff that Harbaugh could probably bring with him is another reason he would be a good choice.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:27 pm If you want to go down a rabbit hole of the coordinators and staff Harbaugh would hire, check this thread out!

There are very few coaches who don't want to run first when Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick are their QBs. There are also very few HC's who don't engage in nepotism. If a HCs son is old enough, they are going to be employed by the team. Look around the league, if you want to avoid nepotism, you have to hire someone who is too young to have adult children or has no kids at all.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Man y’all. I just listened to Alex Boone talk about Harbaugh for the last 45 minutes. After that, I’m pretty sure *I* want to play for Jim Harbaugh … and I’m 61 and never played a down of organized ball in my life.

Boone is convinced Harbaugh can get much more out of Kirk Cousins. He says JH is the guy who believes in the guys nobody believes in, and gets more out of them than they knew they had in them.

He went on and on and on and on. It’s crazy. Go listen to today’s Purple Daily podcast if you want to get psyched. The podcast is free.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:42 pm Man y’all. I just listened to Alex Boone talk about Harbaugh for the last 45 minutes. After that, I’m pretty sure *I* want to play for Jim Harbaugh … and I’m 61 and never played a down of organized ball in my life.

Boone is convinced Harbaugh can get much more out of Kirk Cousins. He says JH is the guy who believes in the guys nobody believes in, and gets more out of them than they knew they had in them.

He went on and on and on and on. It’s crazy. Go listen to today’s Purple Daily podcast if you want to get psyched. The podcast is free.
I listened to it as well. It is difficult not to be pumped up for a Harbaugh hire.

They didn’t ask him, but he only talked about Cousins. So I assume if Harbaugh is hired Kirk is the QB for at least one year.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I have Heard some possible coaches Harbaugh is bringing in. Vic Fangio also possibly Mike Muncheck.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

halfgiz wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:36 pm I have Heard some possible coaches Harbaugh is bringing in. Vic Fangio also possibly Mike Muncheck.
A lot of speculation about Fangio and Pep Hamilton.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

40for60 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:11 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:42 pm Man y’all. I just listened to Alex Boone talk about Harbaugh for the last 45 minutes. After that, I’m pretty sure *I* want to play for Jim Harbaugh … and I’m 61 and never played a down of organized ball in my life.

I listened to it as well. It is difficult not to be pumped up for a Harbaugh hire.

They didn’t ask him, but he only talked about Cousins. So I assume if Harbaugh is hired Kirk is the QB for at least one year.
Yeah, hard to say. But that’s just what Boone thinks.

I’m of the belief that the most important topic of Harbaugh’s interview is going to be what they do about Cousins. I have to admit, as much as I’m tired of Cousins, I’d be interested to see what Harbaugh could do with him. He’s gotten more out of less. But he also developed Colin Kaepernick, and if you can develop that guy, you can develop just about anybody. Maybe the Vikings should shift their focus to a young QB.

Wednesday is going to be an interesting day, for sure.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:34 pm
40for60 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:11 pm

Yeah, hard to say. But that’s just what Boone thinks.

I’m of the belief that the most important topic of Harbaugh’s interview is going to be what they do about Cousins. I have to admit, as much as I’m tired of Cousins, I’d be interested to see what Harbaugh could do with him. He’s gotten more out of less. But he also developed Colin Kaepernick, and if you can develop that guy, you can develop just about anybody. Maybe the Vikings should shift their focus to a young QB.

Wednesday is going to be an interesting day, for sure.
Cousins + Mond is somewhat similar to Smith + Kaep. I'd love to see what Harbaugh does with these guys. Or do we make your proposed trade and have Mayfield + Mond? I'm sure Harbaugh would be excited to work with any of these guys at QB.