Donatell Gone

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Donatell Gone

Post by IIsweet »

I am curious as to who out there would be a good fit and even who is available to be a DC? Not sure I like the Leonhard pick, but I honestly know nothing of him. Just concerns over a college guy coming to NFL. Does he have the "street cred"?? I just hope that we get someone who wants to create an insane amount of pressure on the QB. IMO, someone that wants to do it up the gut! That is where the best teams win. Look at the 8 teams left in the NFL playoffs right now...
KC - Chris Jones is All Pro and they are always looking to add pass rush around him
BUFF - Ed Oliver and Daquan Jones are beasts
CINCY - DE's Hubbard and Hendrickson are very good
JAX - 3-4 D and 2 1st rd rush LB T.Walker, J.Allen, Walker rushes always and Allen is a freak athlete
PHI - Fletcher Cox, Hargrave, Suh, Davis
SF - Armstead, Kinlaw, Bosa
DAL - Rush from Edge with D Lawrence and Parsons
NYG - 3-4 D Lawrence and Williams are beasts with athletic freak Thibodeaux Rush OLB

So to me, there are 6 "4-3" defenses left and 2 "3-4". The 2 are NYG and JAX (although they appear to be more 4-3, to me).
Also, the teams creating rush from the DT positions are KC, BUF, PHI, SF, NYG
DAL CINCY and JAX get their rush from the edge and of these 8, to me are the weakest defenses.

So in evaluating our D, I honestly do not see an interior rush from our guys. I do like Tonga a lot though. This is where I hope that KAM and KOC evaluate our team and look at addressing this position. We have bodies, but I do not see a single player that to me is disruptive. Some potential in Tonga and maybe Otomewo. When the pocket is collapsed up the middle, the QB has to move and timing plays are totally disrupted. Yes, having that outside rusher is soooo important because many times the QB then has to step up into the pocket. I would love to see a disruptive DT, 2 rookie LB, and a rangy athletic safety added in the offseason. Also, drafting another CB is always a good idea.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

IIsweet wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:22 am I am curious as to who out there would be a good fit and even who is available to be a DC? Not sure I like the Leonhard pick, but I honestly know nothing of him. Just concerns over a college guy coming to NFL. Does he have the "street cred"?? I just hope that we get someone who wants to create an insane amount of pressure on the QB. IMO, someone that wants to do it up the gut! That is where the best teams win. Look at the 8 teams left in the NFL playoffs right now...
KC - Chris Jones is All Pro and they are always looking to add pass rush around him
BUFF - Ed Oliver and Daquan Jones are beasts
CINCY - DE's Hubbard and Hendrickson are very good
JAX - 3-4 D and 2 1st rd rush LB T.Walker, J.Allen, Walker rushes always and Allen is a freak athlete
PHI - Fletcher Cox, Hargrave, Suh, Davis
SF - Armstead, Kinlaw, Bosa
DAL - Rush from Edge with D Lawrence and Parsons
NYG - 3-4 D Lawrence and Williams are beasts with athletic freak Thibodeaux Rush OLB

So to me, there are 6 "4-3" defenses left and 2 "3-4". The 2 are NYG and JAX (although they appear to be more 4-3, to me).
Also, the teams creating rush from the DT positions are KC, BUF, PHI, SF, NYG
DAL CINCY and JAX get their rush from the edge and of these 8, to me are the weakest defenses.

So in evaluating our D, I honestly do not see an interior rush from our guys. I do like Tonga a lot though. This is where I hope that KAM and KOC evaluate our team and look at addressing this position. We have bodies, but I do not see a single player that to me is disruptive. Some potential in Tonga and maybe Otomewo. When the pocket is collapsed up the middle, the QB has to move and timing plays are totally disrupted. Yes, having that outside rusher is soooo important because many times the QB then has to step up into the pocket. I would love to see a disruptive DT, 2 rookie LB, and a rangy athletic safety added in the offseason. Also, drafting another CB is always a good idea.
Good post I agree we have really lacked having a disruptive DT. I think Tomlinson can be at times and I would like to keep him but we need someone disruptive next to him. Unless maybe they let Tomlinson walk and plug Phillips next to whoever they draft or sign. I think that rangy athletic safety you're referring to is going to be Cine. In terms of LBs, if they keep a 3-4 I think they will need one starter next to Asamoah. If they switch to a 4-3 they will need two starters next to Asamoah. However, I remember in Zim's scheme, the WLB played very little due to how much we were in nickel. So I think you can plug in a low risk high reward type LB in that spot.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
MossCarterJefferson
Rookie

Post by MossCarterJefferson »

CharVike wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:36 am Leonhard means one 3-4 to another 3-4. Same sh!t different day. I get the feeling it will be Mike Pettine. That means a 3-4 also but KOC wants that scheme. Donatell was just a fall guy patsy no more than that. If we stick with the same scheme it means nothing.
There is no way it will be Pettine, there is a reason that Pettine never lasted more than 3 years as defensive coordinator and the reason is because he SUCKS
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Ejiro Evero

There is a reason the 42-year-old Broncos defensive coordinator has interviewed with multiple teams for their head-coaching openings. Evero, who worked under legendary defensive coordinator Wade Phillips in Los Angeles, remained on the Rams’ staff under Staley. His zone-based system has crossover with what the Vikings ran this season but centers more on Cover 3. Players have raved about him. He has relationships with multiple Vikings staffers, including O’Connell. The issue lies in whether he’d be able to interview for a lateral position. If he’s available — and not headed for a head-coaching position elsewhere — he’d be a dreamy hire.
This is my top choice. This is copied and pasted from the Athletic.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

MossCarterJefferson wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:41 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:36 am Leonhard means one 3-4 to another 3-4. Same sh!t different day. I get the feeling it will be Mike Pettine. That means a 3-4 also but KOC wants that scheme. Donatell was just a fall guy patsy no more than that. If we stick with the same scheme it means nothing.
There is no way it will be Pettine, there is a reason that Pettine never lasted more than 3 years as defensive coordinator and the reason is because he SUCKS
He's assistant HC so somebody likes him. I'm just reaching for a replacement. I'd rather junk this scheme because we don't have the players for it. I want a front 4 on D. That will never happen under KOC. But I agree he sucks along with this 3-4. That's why it makes sense to me.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

There has been talk about KOC leaning towards a LA Charger type of D. They were 23rd in the NFL in points allowed per game. We just had that. No thanks. I like that Bengal defense. There has to be somebody on that staff that can bring what they are doing. Last season I feel that side made the SB trip possible. Stopping Andy Reid is not easy and they shut that team out last year in the 2nd half on the road. They were No 6 in points allowed this year. That's playing ball. The Chargers are talking about bringing Donatell into their staff because his son is there and he has a relationship with the DC. Why would anyone even look in that direction?
MossCarterJefferson
Rookie

CharVike wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:22 am There has been talk about KOC leaning towards a LA Charger type of D. They were 23rd in the NFL in points allowed per game. We just had that. No thanks. I like that Bengal defense. There has to be somebody on that staff that can bring what they are doing. Last season I feel that side made the SB trip possible. Stopping Andy Reid is not easy and they shut that team out last year in the 2nd half on the road. They were No 6 in points allowed this year. That's playing ball. The Chargers are talking about bringing Donatell into their staff because his son is there and he has a relationship with the DC. Why would anyone even look in that direction?
I would be shocked if Chargers bring in Donatell after seeing the Vikings awful defense
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

an Rapoport
@RapSheet
The #Vikings have requested permission to speak with #Steelers senior defensive assistant and LBs coach Brian Flores for their newly vacant DC job, source said. Coach Kevin O’Connell and Flores overlapped in New England for a year.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

CharVike wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:47 am
MossCarterJefferson wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:41 pm

He's assistant HC so somebody likes him. I'm just reaching for a replacement. I'd rather junk this scheme because we don't have the players for it. I want a front 4 on D. That will never happen under KOC. But I agree he sucks along with this 3-4. That's why it makes sense to me.
Why do you think a 4-3 will never happen under KOC? We already know based on their first abbreviated offseason that they’re not afraid to wheel and deal. We know that KOC is smart, humble and willing to admit when he makes a mistake or realizes there is a better way. The reason I bring this up is we really don’t know everything about KOC and KAM based on the short time we have known them. It makes no sense to project bad things that happened in the past under different leadership on them. We knew from the start that retooling, competitive rebuild or however we refer to it was going to be an ongoing project taking several seasons. Just the numbers of how many positions need upgrading says that. What is the typical success rate of drafted players working out, two, three per season? Free agents are always hit or miss as well. It looks like some of the defensive help we brought in had slowed down as much as our own aging players.

The figurative dung is hitting the fan on the Zimmer/Speilman era and based on our talent level in certain positions some of the retooling on defense could be painful to watch. After being a football fan since I was a kid in the late 50’s one thing I have observed is that rebuilds are unpredictable and often don’t go as planned. Remember before Theilen and Diggs we lacked wide receivers. The O-line has been giving us fits for years and we have thrown draft picks at it as well as a bunch of free agents in an attempt to find bodies. The secondary, linebacker and safety positions all need help and it coincides with all the salary cap and contract issues. I am not saying it can’t be done but every move will have to work out and the odds are against that. I am buckling up for more years in limbo, just when we get the defense rolling key players on the offensive side will decline. It’s not just finding the right guys and all of them working out but it’s a time sensitive task to get it done while every other piece is in place. Building and maintaining a Super Bowl capable roster is one of the hardest tasks in all of sports.

Sorry for the doom and gloom but this is the time of year I remove my rose colored glasses and stare down reality. :beerock:
MossCarterJefferson
Rookie

Texas Vike wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:53 am
an Rapoport
@RapSheet
The #Vikings have requested permission to speak with #Steelers senior defensive assistant and LBs coach Brian Flores for their newly vacant DC job, source said. Coach Kevin O’Connell and Flores overlapped in New England for a year.
I really do not want his baggage and even if Flores gets hired, he is probably staying for 1 year and then leave for a head coach position, I am hoping for long term
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

an Rapoport
@RapSheet
He's my pick. Miami was much more disciplined and had a good defense when he was there.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StanM wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:01 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:47 am
Why do you think a 4-3 will never happen under KOC? We already know based on their first abbreviated offseason that they’re not afraid to wheel and deal. We know that KOC is smart, humble and willing to admit when he makes a mistake or realizes there is a better way. The reason I bring this up is we really don’t know everything about KOC and KAM based on the short time we have known them. It makes no sense to project bad things that happened in the past under different leadership on them. We knew from the start that retooling, competitive rebuild or however we refer to it was going to be an ongoing project taking several seasons. Just the numbers of how many positions need upgrading says that. What is the typical success rate of drafted players working out, two, three per season? Free agents are always hit or miss as well. It looks like some of the defensive help we brought in had slowed down as much as our own aging players.

The figurative dung is hitting the fan on the Zimmer/Speilman era and based on our talent level in certain positions some of the retooling on defense could be painful to watch. After being a football fan since I was a kid in the late 50’s one thing I have observed is that rebuilds are unpredictable and often don’t go as planned. Remember before Theilen and Diggs we lacked wide receivers. The O-line has been giving us fits for years and we have thrown draft picks at it as well as a bunch of free agents in an attempt to find bodies. The secondary, linebacker and safety positions all need help and it coincides with all the salary cap and contract issues. I am not saying it can’t be done but every move will have to work out and the odds are against that. I am buckling up for more years in limbo, just when we get the defense rolling key players on the offensive side will decline. It’s not just finding the right guys and all of them working out but it’s a time sensitive task to get it done while every other piece is in place. Building and maintaining a Super Bowl capable roster is one of the hardest tasks in all of sports.

Sorry for the doom and gloom but this is the time of year I remove my rose colored glasses and stare down reality. :beerock:
That is what he indicated. I hope I'm wrong. This Flores guy who they are interested in is a 3-4 guy. We need 4 LBers and that's just the beginning. We can assume the kid we drafted last year can start but is he any good? Maybe. Maybe not. He might not even be able to start. Hunter is not a LBer regardless of him being placed out there. Him in coverage is a waste of time. He is a dam good LDE at both the pass and the run. Kendricks was always a MLBer in a 4-3 and was a good player. Phillips is our NT he weighs 307. I don't call that a NT. He was thrown away by the Bills. Tomlinson is playing DE. Really? He's 324 ILBs. He's a NT/DT. See where I'm going here. We had Lynch at DE. That DE we picked last year is now a LBer. That's a bunch of players out of position. Based on that our entire secondary is out of position. It will take years just to get the players. We have the 4-3 players right now. That's doom and gloom but it's what KOC is doing.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

MossCarterJefferson wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:40 pm
I really do not want his baggage and even if Flores gets hired, he is probably staying for 1 year and then leave for a head coach position, I am hoping for long term
I doubt he will get another HC job. He's been quietly blacklisted by the owners most likely.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

MossCarterJefferson wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:39 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:22 am There has been talk about KOC leaning towards a LA Charger type of D. They were 23rd in the NFL in points allowed per game. We just had that. No thanks. I like that Bengal defense. There has to be somebody on that staff that can bring what they are doing. Last season I feel that side made the SB trip possible. Stopping Andy Reid is not easy and they shut that team out last year in the 2nd half on the road. They were No 6 in points allowed this year. That's playing ball. The Chargers are talking about bringing Donatell into their staff because his son is there and he has a relationship with the DC. Why would anyone even look in that direction?
I would be shocked if Chargers bring in Donatell after seeing the Vikings awful defense
The Chargers are in chaos. They are reaching for anything right now. They reached out to us about Wes Phillips for their vacant OC position. They fired their OC after losing a game when they had a 27 point lead. KOC is looking for a Chargers type defense. That's the shocker. Phillips will not take the interview because he wants to stay here. I would have told him take the interview. Then if the Chargers hire him ask for compensation. Get some draft picks. I'm not talking bull sh!t picks but 1st or 2nd round picks. That's how you build a roster without giving anything up. Make different moves especially moves with nothing lost. Phillips wasn't a game changer. He didn't invent anything. He didn't even call plays. He's steering the cursor for KOC when he's preaching. Nothing more or less. Pinhead Kewsi needed to get something from them or attempt to. They are desperate and out of control. Their heads are on the block. That's when you can rob them.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

Give me Flores every day of the week