Mannion is back baby

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Mannion is back baby

Post by Maelstrom88 »

vikeinmontana wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:51 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:22 am What a joke. Did we hire McVay's flunkie?
Are you honestly surprised/upset about this? He's a backup qb. Didn't cost a thing. Been said he has a great mind and works wonderfully with Cousins which is a great relationship to have.

Continuity in the qb room is never bad. Unless of course there was someone specific for the backup position that you feel is way better and would be an equally good fit? :confused:
Cousins gets to choose his back up? I thought coaches were supposed to actually coach QBs not a career back up who has thrown 1 TD to 3 picks. If he has such a great mind why doesn't he start? Why don't other teams sign him? If it's because of a lack of talent why is he on the team? He's a wasted roster spot. How about let Mond be the back up and draft another QB? The only positive to Mannion is that if he has to start we will lose every game and be in a position to draft the top QB prospect next year.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:51 pm
vikeinmontana wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:51 am

Are you honestly surprised/upset about this? He's a backup qb. Didn't cost a thing. Been said he has a great mind and works wonderfully with Cousins which is a great relationship to have.

Continuity in the qb room is never bad. Unless of course there was someone specific for the backup position that you feel is way better and would be an equally good fit? :confused:
Cousins gets to choose his back up? I thought coaches were supposed to actually coach QBs not a career back up who has thrown 1 TD to 3 picks. If he has such a great mind why doesn't he start? Why don't other teams sign him? If it's because of a lack of talent why is he on the team? He's a wasted roster spot. How about let Mond be the back up and draft another QB? The only positive to Mannion is that if he has to start we will lose every game and be in a position to draft the top QB prospect next year.
At no point did I say Cousins picks his backup. That is ridiculous.

Coaches do coach quarterbacks. In what way does this signing suggest coaches don't coach quarterbacks?

Players can't have great football IQ's unless they start? Also ridiculous. Why don't coaches just start because they have a great understanding of the game? How are there great coaches who never played in the NFL at all? Another silly argument.

You know there are many talented players that don't start right? There has to be a cutoff somewhere or every team would have 24 players and wouldn't need anyone else because they all suck. Why do other teams have backup quarterbacks? If they were good enough to be on the team shouldn't they be starters? :lol:

What player would you have suggested for the roll of backup quarterback? Keep in mind whoever you say has to be willing to come here as a backup, and do so for the amount of money the Vikes thinks he's worth. Surely you know of someone available much better correct?

I've read a lot of arguments on this board. But with all due respect your might be the most ridiculous. :lol:
i'm ready for a beer.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:38 pm
Thaumaturgist wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:17 am
I can't find a quote at the moment, but I remember hearing reports that one of the reasons they have never brought in any real competition for Cousins was that he had a problem with it. It could just be conjecture, and it could just be my bad memory. :wink:
Is that why we let Mac Jones go bye bye and then picked another guy later on. We let the star go and picked the bum. That make sense. If Cousins or any other player couldn't compete they never would have made it to the top of the sport. Very few who play this game make it to the NFL. How did Cousins beat out RG III if he laid down and just collected a paycheck. Or was it RG that didn't like competition? To say any athlete that makes it this far won't compete is wrong.
Mac Jones according to many was a bum. Many liked Mond more. If we had picked him he probably wouldn't have seen the light of day.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

vikeinmontana wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:19 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:51 pm

Coaches do coach quarterbacks. In what way does this signing suggest coaches don't coach quarterbacks?

Players can't have great football IQ's unless they start? Also ridiculous. Why don't coaches just start because they have a great understanding of the game? How are there great coaches who never played in the NFL at all? Another silly argument.

You know there are many talented players that don't start right? There has to be a cutoff somewhere or every team would have 24 players and wouldn't need anyone else because they all suck. Why do other teams have backup quarterbacks? If they were good enough to be on the team shouldn't they be starters? :lol:

What player would you have suggested for the roll of backup quarterback? Keep in mind whoever you say has to be willing to come here as a backup, and do so for the amount of money the Vikes thinks he's worth. Surely you know of someone available much better correct?

I've read a lot of arguments on this board. But with all due respect your might be the most ridiculous. :lol:
So it's ridiculous to want a back up who just might win you a game if your starter is out? Mannion certainly wouldn't. Did you watch the GB game? Mond is an unknown. I'd rather play an unknown than a for sure dud. Did you miss where I said to elevate Mond? He's your back up and if you want 3 QBs draft another. Sign a guy from the XFL over Mannion. At least that guy might be good. All anyone says in favor of Mannion is that he helps in the QB room. That's not a good back up. A back up should be able to help you win with his TALENT. The Patriots were always drafting Qbs when they had Brady. They get it. They didn't sit on some no name for years because oh shucks he's a nice guy and he's cheap. You ever notice how no other team in the league wants Mannion? He would be out of the game if the Vikings didn't exist. The Falcons went after Mariota. He was a back up. Why didn't they pursue Mannion? Because he has zero talent that's why. Only the Vikings are dumb enough to keep writing him a check because he's a buddy to Kirk and doesn't push him.
mael·strom

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:17 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:38 pm
Is that why we let Mac Jones go bye bye and then picked another guy later on. We let the star go and picked the bum. That make sense. If Cousins or any other player couldn't compete they never would have made it to the top of the sport. Very few who play this game make it to the NFL. How did Cousins beat out RG III if he laid down and just collected a paycheck. Or was it RG that didn't like competition? To say any athlete that makes it this far won't compete is wrong.
Mac Jones according to many was a bum. Many liked Mond more. If we had picked him he probably wouldn't have seen the light of day.
I don't know too many draft analysts who had Mond over Mac. Mac would never have lasted until the 3rd round.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:54 pm
vikeinmontana wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:19 pm

So it's ridiculous to want a back up who just might win you a game if your starter is out? Mannion certainly wouldn't. Did you watch the GB game? Mond is an unknown. I'd rather play an unknown than a for sure dud. Did you miss where I said to elevate Mond? He's your back up and if you want 3 QBs draft another. He'll, sign a guy from the XFL over Mannion. At least that guy might be good. All anyone says in favor of Mannion is that he helps in the QB room. That's not a good back up. A back up should be able to help you win with his TALENT. The Patriots were always drafting Qbs when they had Brady. They get it. They didn't sit on some no name for years because oh shucks he's a nice guy and he's cheap.
These comments have nothing to do with your last two posts though.

How does this signing mean Cousins picks his backups?

How does Mannion being a backup mean he should be starters. All teams have backups. None of them suck. I'm thinking you don't understand how hard it is to make an NFL roster, and just how good these guys are.

Where did I say it's ridiculous to want a backup to be able to win a game. I could say the same thing to you about Mond could I not? It's just an opinion, but it in no way means this was a bad signing. If all backups were as good as starters and it was a guarantee they'd win all games then they wouldn't be backups! Hell, it's tough for STARTERS to win games in the NFL. And despite what some fans think, the starters are almost always better and more equip to win games than their backups are.

It's all moot anyway because Mannion and Mond will battle for the 2nd string spot. May the best man win. You seem to be of the belief there is no question Mond is the guy, and if he's called to play it means we win games. And that's fine. I don't agree but that is your opinion. But that is night and day from whatever point you were trying to make in your first couple posts on this subject.
i'm ready for a beer.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

vikeinmontana wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:05 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:54 pm

So it's ridiculous to want a back up who just might win you a game if your starter is out? Mannion certainly wouldn't. Did you watch the GB game? Mond is an unknown. I'd rather play an unknown than a for sure dud. Did you miss where I said to elevate Mond? He's your back up and if you want 3 QBs draft another. He'll, sign a guy from the XFL over Mannion. At least that guy might be good. All anyone says in favor of Mannion is that he helps in the QB room. That's not a good back up. A back up should be able to help you win with his TALENT. The Patriots were always drafting Qbs when they had Brady. They get it. They didn't sit on some no name for years because oh shucks he's a nice guy and he's cheap.

How does Mannion being a backup mean he should be starters. All teams have backups. None of them suck. I'm thinking you don't understand how hard it is to make an NFL roster, and just how good these guys are.

Where did I say it's ridiculous to want a backup to be able to win a game. I could say the same thing to you about Mond could I not? It's just an opinion, but it in no way means this was a bad signing. If all backups were as good as starters and it was a guarantee they'd win all games then they wouldn't be backups! Hell, it's tough for STARTERS to win games in the NFL. And despite what some fans think, the starters are almost always better and more equip to win games than their backups are.

It's all moot anyway because Mannion and Mond will battle for the 2nd string spot. May the best man win. You seem to be of the belief there is no question Mond is the guy, and if he's called to play it means we win games. And that's fine. I don't agree but that is your opinion. But that is night and day from whatever point you were trying to make in your first couple posts on this subject.
We probably lose with Mond too. But Mond MIGHT be good. He's young and hasn't had a chance. It would be exciting for the fans. He might be Kurt Warner. We know Mannion sucks. He's been around a long time and when he gets a chance like in Green Bay he does nothing. 189 yards and a garbage time TD. Wow can we ink him for life? I'm not comparing Mannion's talent to an average Joe. He throws better than me. Ok. How does he throw compared against his peers? Poorly. If you want names of existing back ups I'd rather have I'd go with Bridgewater, Keenum, Fitzpatrick, Brissett. But in reality I want none of them because we know they suck. Give me an unknown. Back up spots should be used for developmental guys with traits who might one day become a quality starter. Not known bums who would lose you a game for sure unless you were playing the worst team in the league and the rest of the team had their best effort of the season.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Cliff wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:57 am If Kirk goes down you're not winning with any of the backups you can sign in FA right now. Might as well go with the budget friendly option that you know. Especially when cap space is tight.
Would a guy on a rookie deal not be a better budget friendly option? I think rookie contracts are as cheap as they come.
mael·strom

vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:11 pm
vikeinmontana wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:05 pm

We probably lose with Mond too. But Mond MIGHT be good. He's young and hasn't had a chance. It would be exciting for the fans. He might be Kurt Warner. We know Mannion sucks. He's been around a long time and when he gets a chance like in Green Bay he does nothing. 189 yards and a garbage time TD. Wow can we ink him for life? I'm not comparing Mannion's talent to an average Joe. He throws better than me. Ok. How does he throw compared against his peers? Poorly. If you want names of existing back ups I'd rather have I'd go with Bridgewater, Keenum, Fitzpatrick, Brissett. But in reality I want none of them because we know they suck. Give me an unknown.
Mannion could suck as bad as you think for sure. I don't put too much stake in his limited action as you do. Very few backups come in and torch defenses. Especially those with as little experience as he has. You can say he has that limited experience because he sucks. I could say it's because he was beat out for the starting job and so far he's good enough to be a #2, but hasn't shwon he can be a full time starter. This is the case for nearly every backup in the league.

I put way more stake in the fact that he continues to be kept around. The coaches are the ones that are with these guys every day of the week, see what they do on the field, and see what their abilities are breaking down tape. It's possible all of these coaches are morons. Or it's possible they think he's our best option if anything should happen to our starter. Whether that be his actual football ability, or the simple fact he's familiar with the franchise, familiar with our starter and is an asset that way?

In regards to the guys you mentioned, who's to say they wanted to play for the Vikings? That's a huge factor fans tend to forget. You need guys that think will be a fit to what you're trying to do. There are very bright minds evaluating that. Then you get your list of players, but they still need to agree on playing for you, and the money you're paying.

And none of this even touches on what our long term plan is at the position. Maybe Mannion was perfect because it was a one year deal on the cheap and they want to pursue someone in the draft? Maybe they are already talking to other teams about a potential trade? Maybe they like upcoming free agents in the next couple years and Mannion was a perfect solution to this one season?
i'm ready for a beer.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

vikeinmontana wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:38 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:11 pm

We probably lose with Mond too. But Mond MIGHT be good. He's young and hasn't had a chance. It would be exciting for the fans. He might be Kurt Warner. We know Mannion sucks. He's been around a long time and when he gets a chance like in Green Bay he does nothing. 189 yards and a garbage time TD. Wow can we ink him for life? I'm not comparing Mannion's talent to an average Joe. He throws better than me. Ok. How does he throw compared against his peers? Poorly. If you want names of existing back ups I'd rather have I'd go with Bridgewater, Keenum, Fitzpatrick, Brissett. But in reality I want none of them because we know they suck. Give me an unknown.
Mannion could suck as bad as you think for sure. I don't put too much stake in his limited action as you do. Very few backups come in and torch defenses. Especially those with as little experience as he has. You can say he has that limited experience because he sucks. I could say it's because he was beat out for the starting job and so far he's good enough to be a #2, but hasn't shwon he can be a full time starter. This is the case for nearly every backup in the league.

I put way more stake in the fact that he continues to be kept around. The coaches are the ones that are with these guys every day of the week, see what they do on the field, and see what their abilities are breaking down tape. It's possible all of these coaches are morons. Or it's possible they think he's our best option if anything should happen to our starter. Whether that be his actual football ability, or the simple fact he's familiar with the franchise, familiar with our starter and is an asset that way?

In regards to the guys you mentioned, who's to say they wanted to play for the Vikings? That's a huge factor fans tend to forget. You need guys that think will be a fit to what you're trying to do. There are very bright minds evaluating that. Then you get your list of players, but they still need to agree on playing for you, and the money you're paying.

And none of this even touches on what our long term plan is at the position. Maybe Mannion was perfect because it was a one year deal on the cheap and they want to pursue someone in the draft? Maybe they are already talking to other teams about a potential trade? Maybe they like upcoming free agents in the next couple years and Mannion was a perfect solution to this one season?
I would say Zimmer for sure was a moron especially as we learned more about how he ran the ship following his departure. McVay isn't a moron when it comes to offense. That's why he got rid of Mannion and Goff. He gets it. Our new guys? Too early to tell but I haven't been wild about the moves they've made so far. To be fair they were left with a pretty bad situation. We will see how they draft. They have practically telegraphed to the league that they're drafting a corner at 12 with how they've not addressed it in FA. Tgey also still have the worst interior offensive line in the league.
mael·strom

vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:45 pm
vikeinmontana wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:38 pm

I would say Zimmer for sure was a moron especially as we learned more about how he ran the ship following his departure. McVay isn't a moron when it comes to offense. That's why he got rid of Mannion and Goff. He gets it. Our new guys? Too early to tell but I haven't been wild about the moves they've made so far. To be fair they were left with a pretty bad situation. We will see how they draft. They have practically telegraphed to the league that they're drafting a corner at 12 with how they've not addressed it in FA. Tgey also still have the worst interior offensive line in the league.
John Wolford is the backup for the Rams. Is McVay a genius for keeping him on board? I think you're putting a little too much thought into backup quarterbacks to be honest.

Wolford could be the next Tom Brady. Or he could be a guy that costs almost no money that McVay is comfortable with for a plethora of reasons. Like nearly every backup at every position.
i'm ready for a beer.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

vikeinmontana wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:57 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:45 pm

John Wolford is the backup for the Rams. Is McVay a genius for keeping him on board? I think you're putting a little too much thought into backup quarterbacks to be honest.

Wolford could be the next Tom Brady. Or he could be a guy that costs almost no money that McVay is comfortable with for a plethora of reasons. Like nearly every backup at every position.
You're probably right. That's another guy I wouldn't waste a roster spot on. If I ran a team I'd constantly be churning back up QBs. I'd give a guy 3 years to show me something and then I'd draft another.
mael·strom

vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:03 pm
vikeinmontana wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:57 pm

You're probably right. That's another guy I wouldn't waste a roster spot on. If I ran a team I'd constantly be churning back up QBs. I'd give a guy 3 years to show me something and then I'd draft another.
:lol:
That's fair. Our difference in opinion likely stems from what we expect from this opinion, and what is considered a wasted roster spot.

You're rarely going to get a starting caliber player at this position. Some teams have guys better than others. Usually they play their way into a starting role, and if so many times gets an opportunity to start for a different team. But for the majority of teams, you want a guy capable of keeping the train on the tracks should anything happen to your starter. Most of the time it has way more to do with the attributes the coaches see every day than the few minutes of playing time the fans see should the starter go down.
i'm ready for a beer.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:02 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:17 pm
I don't know too many draft analysts who had Mond over Mac. Mac would never have lasted until the 3rd round.
More preferred Mac, but there were certainly those who thought Mac was a bum and thought Mond was better. Chris Simms for one.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:16 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:02 pm

More preferred Mac, but there were certainly those who thought Mac was a bum and thought Mond was better. Chris Simms for one.
Ah, I'm not a fan of Simms so that probably why I didn't know.
mael·strom