Pick 14

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Pick 14

Post by VikingLord »

Norv Zimmer wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:36 pm I agree on Parsons, I think he will be a generational talent. Put him with Barr and Kendricks and we have the best LB crew in the league.
I'm not as sure about that. I base that opinion on this article on the walterfootball site:

https://www.walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/453

Highlights from it:
While Parsons was projected to be the top linebacker for the 2021 NFL Draft, he carries significant character concerns that could cause him to suffer a significant first-round slide, according to multiple teams, and some teams may remove him from their boards because of the character issue.

Part of the character content is public knowledge. A former teammate of Parsons has sued Penn State for hazing, and Parsons was prominently and repeatedly named in that lawsuit for administering physical, verbal and emotional abuse on his teammate. Aside from that issue, team sources say they have concerns about other parts of Parsons' makeup, football character, and off-the-field conduct.
If the character concerns are significant enough that some teams would remove him from their board altogether, that is disturbing. I know some players like Randy Moss had concerns that caused draft day slides and those players turned into good pros, but a talented player who gets in significant off-field trouble is not helping the team that drafts him.

As far as what Parsons brings to the field, he's probably good value at #14. I wouldn't move up to get him, but I wouldn't complain if the Vikings took him there. It depends in large part on who else might be available at that spot.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Ray Lewis had some off field issues also as i recall. Something about hiding in a trunk?

I think he will very good in the NFL, he would also make the Vikings d much better IMO.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Norv Zimmer wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:17 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:33 pm

I do not think Parsons will get past the Broncos
IDK I think RB is by far the least important position valued by teams, LB is not far behind. He could drop to 14, if we don't take him I bet the Patriots will.

As for Surtain I don't think he will be there at 14, and I don't want the Vikings to move up at all in the first round to select anyone.

I am a big fan of moving back into the 20s and picking up some good capital.
That's my feelings also. That's why he could drop. The top CBs and Pass Rushers won't drop. If we were a 3-4 team then sure. We are strong at the LBer position. We need a pass rushing DE more than anything. If we don't get heat on the QB the rest don't even matter. This guy isn't a monster pass rusher. It's another Barr deal. Mr everything except what is needed. I'm a fan of moving up. That's were the prime is. But we'll do the opposite.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:45 pm

IDK I think RB is by far the least important position valued by teams, LB is not far behind. He could drop to 14, if we don't take him I bet the Patriots will.

As for Surtain I don't think he will be there at 14, and I don't want the Vikings to move up at all in the first round to select anyone.

That's my feelings also. That's why he could drop. The top CBs and Pass Rushers won't drop. If we were a 3-4 team then sure. We are strong at the LBer position. We need a pass rushing DE more than anything. If we don't get heat on the QB the rest don't even matter. This guy isn't a monster pass rusher. It's another Barr deal. Mr everything except what is needed. I'm a fan of moving up. That's were the prime is. But we'll do the opposite.
That is exactly why i want Kwity Paye from Michigan. If they need to draft him at 14. I think they will have opportunities to trade back into the 20s and still draft him. He is gonna be a stud, and with Hunter, Pierce, Tomlinson, Paye. We got the best D line in the league!!!!!!!
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Norv Zimmer wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:35 am
That is exactly why i want Kwity Paye from Michigan. If they need to draft him at 14. I think they will have opportunities to trade back into the 20s and still draft him. He is gonna be a stud, and with Hunter, Pierce, Tomlinson, Paye. We got the best D line in the league!!!!!!!
Paye has good pass rush potential. I've seen some mocks were he zooms up the board ahead of us. Caleb Farley is a CB I like. He's had back problems which will raise questions. From PFF Sam Monson I have never seen a corner with the kind of recovery speed and burst to the football that Farley has. That's what it takes. Dantzler yes he improved and played well against garbage. He's a No 2 IMO. There was a play against the Seahawks were R Wilson throws a rainbow up for grabs on 4th and 10th. That ball needs to be picked. Dantzler lost it. Wilson looked like a hero and a great come back throw when in fact in was a bone head play by Dantzler. Even Smith was in the screen and he was at the LOS faking a blitz. Dead duck throws can't be completed. Especially when it looked like a half swing punt. But Paye would be a nice pick but I don't think they can trade down.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

CharVike wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:19 am

Paye has good pass rush potential. I've seen some mocks were he zooms up the board ahead of us. Caleb Farley is a CB I like. He's had back problems which will raise questions. From PFF Sam Monson I have never seen a corner with the kind of recovery speed and burst to the football that Farley has. That's what it takes. Dantzler yes he improved and played well against garbage. He's a No 2 IMO. There was a play against the Seahawks were R Wilson throws a rainbow up for grabs on 4th and 10th. That ball needs to be picked. Dantzler lost it. Wilson looked like a hero and a great come back throw when in fact in was a bone head play by Dantzler. Even Smith was in the screen and he was at the LOS faking a blitz. Dead duck throws can't be completed. Especially when it looked like a half swing punt. But Paye would be a nice pick but I don't think they can trade down.
I have also seen/done many mock drafts where he falls into the 20s. At 14 or moving back and getting him I would be totally fine with it.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

There is a lot to like about Paye, especially his personality and work ethic. He's a guy who is going to work hard to improve and will be a team player. He shows awareness on the field as well, especially in run defense. As a result, he should help to improve what was a notorious weakness of the Vikings last year.

But for me, whether they should draft him at 14, draft someone else at 14, or trade down and hope to draft him or someone else later in the 1st really depends on things we won't know until the Vikings are on the clock.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Yep and maybe someone really really really wants to move up to 14 to get ahead of the Pats at 15 if a qb falls.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

Norv Zimmer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:01 pm Yep and maybe someone really really really wants to move up to 14 to get ahead of the Pats at 15 if a qb falls.
This is the scenario I am looking at as well if a QB is there.

Zimmer will be looking for a pass rusher,,,,, Spielman a corner and Kubiak a lineman hahah Truth be told, a starter at any one of those positions we really can't complain.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

Kind of a what if scenario, if Waddle or Smith are there, do you pull the trigger?
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:33 pm

I do not think Parsons will get past the Broncos

LB is a big need. Barr has finished 16 games once or twice in his 7 year career. Also, he is a FA next season. Bringing in an impact player and letting his 10 million walk would be a great savings. Like wise for Theilan. I love the guy but he is on the wrong side of 30 and we need to start planning for his replacement. I would want us to go Parson's or Smith and fill OG in the 3rd and 4th rounds.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Pep2Moss wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:44 pm Kind of a what if scenario, if Waddle or Smith are there, do you pull the trigger?
Yes.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:58 pm

LB is a big need. Barr has finished 16 games once or twice in his 7 year career. Also, he is a FA next season. Bringing in an impact player and letting his 10 million walk would be a great savings. Like wise for Theilan. I love the guy but he is on the wrong side of 30 and we need to start planning for his replacement. I would want us to go Parson's or Smith and fill OG in the 3rd and 4th rounds.
We have zero at one DE spot the other guy we have is coming off an injury. That's not a need it's a must have. I don't agree with it but Zim and Barr are joined at the hip. If Zim stays Barr will be back. LBer is at the bottom of the barrel need wise. You don't use the 14 spot for a guy that will ride the pine while he figures out his craft. We need a day one starter. The only exception would be QB.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

CharVike wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:12 pm

We have zero at one DE spot the other guy we have is coming off an injury. That's not a need it's a must have. I don't agree with it but Zim and Barr are joined at the hip. If Zim stays Barr will be back. LBer is at the bottom of the barrel need wise. You don't use the 14 spot for a guy that will ride the pine while he figures out his craft. We need a day one starter. The only exception would be QB.
Barr won't be back. I promise you. That bridge is burnt with the request to reduce his check. Pass rushers can still be found in round 3. They have faith in the committee of Weatherly and company. There isn't a DE worthy of the 14th pick.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

CharVike wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:12 pm

AP wasn’t a need when we drafted him either. Parsons isn’t riding the pine, he’s a perfect fit for Zimmer’s “big nickel” package. He can play sideline to sideline, is solid against the run, and has the speed to play every down. Would he play as much as some other potential 1st round picks? No, not in year one. But his ceiling is so much higher than forcing a need based pick.

I’m with Kapp on this one, I’ll be royally pissed if he’s available and they pass. Right now Mike Hughes was the pick I hated the most by far (second to Ponder) but passing on Parsons might take the new #1 spot.