'Hey, Teddy': Vikings Laud Bridgewater Before QB's Return to Play Minnesota

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 'Hey, Teddy': Vikings Laud Bridgewater Before QB's Return to Play Minnesota

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:53 pm
They will need to do another extension if they plan on keeping him.
What do you mean by this?
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:05 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:53 pm
They will need to do another extension if they plan on keeping him.
What do you mean by this?
They may be thinking of keeping him until he's 40. That will change the whole thing.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Sad he won't get a reception like this

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

[/quote]

Maybe it's because it's been so long since we've had an undeniable franchise QB.
[/quote]

Daunte. But then...
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

[/quote]

Maybe it's because it's been so long since we've had an undeniable franchise QB.
[/quote]

Daunte. But then...
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

anyone know if Teddy was OK after last play of game. he ran off like he had a broken collarbone.......
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

chicagopurple wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:07 am anyone know if Teddy was OK after last play of game. he ran off like he had a broken collarbone.......
Teddy said his arm was fine in his post game interview. :thumbsup:
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

its just pitiful that Duante was our last true top tier QB............
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

chicagopurple wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:56 am its just pitiful that Duante was our last true top tier QB............
Favre?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:24 pm
VikingLord wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:33 am I don't think there was ever a question about Bridgewater's talent or personality. He was a winner in college and when healthy he's been a winner in the pros too. As Kapp said, the question was about his health and ability to perform well after the injury, and I think the Vikings were cautious and did their due diligence in trying to answer that question before they moved on from Bridgewater. IIRC, after he got hurt they kept him under contract for a full year as they waited to see how he recovered. It just didn't work out.

For purposes of the upcoming game, however, I see Bridgewater as less dangerous than Cousins. Bridgewater is a good QB, but he's more like Andy Dalton - more of a game manager who makes good decisions for the most part and executes well, but he's not a guy who's going to drop dimes into the corner of the end zone. Not to say Cousins does that much either, but I think Cousins is capable of doing it while I'm still not convinced Bridgewater is.

The upcoming game likely won't come down to the play of either of them. To win, the Vikings need to unleash the "Cookin" and run the ball effectively, which opens up everything else on offense, while they need to limit the Panthers run game on 1st and 2nd downs. If Bridgewater finds himself in a lot of 3rd-and-3 or less situations, it's going to be a long day for the Vikings. If, OTOH, the Vikings can keep the Panthers in 3rd-and-7 or longer consistently, Vikings should win barring major catastrophes on special teams, turnovers or the refs.

It will be good to see Bridgewater, but between the two of them I'd still take Cousins.
Teddy is currently 4th in 3rd down conversions on pass plays.

On 3rd and long, his rank drops to 11th, but that is 10 spots higher than our guy.

His offense prior to last week when Walker started was 10th in scoring and #1 in yards per drive, which means that despite his team having a lousy run game, his passing game has his team moving the ball better than any team in the NFL. Better than our offense with the best RB in the NFL.

I would agree our offense is more difficult to plan for because of Cook, and the Panthers being a one dimensional offense, but on 3rd and long I take that offense over ours.
Does yesterday's outcome change your opinion of the two QBs?

Bridgewater couldn't sustain either of Carolina's late drives, either of which had they scored would have won them the game outright.

Cousins, OTOH, orchestrated 2 scoring drives in the 4th, one of which was a late-game beauty that ended up winning the game.

Obviously, there are single game examples where any QB or offense can succeed and that doesn't mean they're better than a QB or offense that succeeds in certain situations more on average, but I continue to believe that Cousins is the more dangerous QB between Bridgewater and him.

As for the Panther offense overall compared to the Vikings offense overall, I wasn't all that impressed by the Panthers apart from their first half run game. After the Vikings adjusted to it, though (or the Panthers went away from it - not sure which happened), the Vikings defense kept the Panthers from scoring a single TD in the second half that wasn't scored by their defense. If you think that is a better offense than the ones the Vikings field (especially when fully healthy), you're welcome to that opinion, but I disagree.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:59 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:24 pm
Teddy is currently 4th in 3rd down conversions on pass plays.

On 3rd and long, his rank drops to 11th, but that is 10 spots higher than our guy.

His offense prior to last week when Walker started was 10th in scoring and #1 in yards per drive, which means that despite his team having a lousy run game, his passing game has his team moving the ball better than any team in the NFL. Better than our offense with the best RB in the NFL.

I would agree our offense is more difficult to plan for because of Cook, and the Panthers being a one dimensional offense, but on 3rd and long I take that offense over ours.

Bridgewater couldn't sustain either of Carolina's late drives, either of which had they scored would have won them the game outright.

Cousins, OTOH, orchestrated 2 scoring drives in the 4th, one of which was a late-game beauty that ended up winning the game.

Obviously, there are single game examples where any QB or offense can succeed and that doesn't mean they're better than a QB or offense that succeeds in certain situations more on average, but I continue to believe that Cousins is the more dangerous QB between Bridgewater and him.

As for the Panther offense overall compared to the Vikings offense overall, I wasn't all that impressed by the Panthers apart from their first half run game. After the Vikings adjusted to it, though (or the Panthers went away from it - not sure which happened), the Vikings defense kept the Panthers from scoring a single TD in the second half that wasn't scored by their defense. If you think that is a better offense than the ones the Vikings field (especially when fully healthy), you're welcome to that opinion, but I disagree.
I gotta chime in here, too — specifically this ...
Yesterday, Cook was taken out of the game because the Panthers sold out to stop him. Adam Thielen was home watching on TV from his oddly designed living room. Yet the Vikings still put up 387 yards of total offense and had four receivers with at least 7 receptions and 60+ yards.

As for third and long, Carolina was 2 for 8 on 3rd downs of 6 yards or more. Meanwhile, the Vikings were 5 for 8 in those situations. You have to admit that it didn't exactly work out the way you predicted.

Overall, there is no way I'd take Carolina's offense over ours. I also wouldn't take Teddy over Cousins, CMC over Cook, or any of their receivers over JJ or Thielen. Based on their talent, I might take their defense. They're big and fast. But they were horribly coached yesterday, especially on the last drive. Everybody knows that if you give Kirk Cousins a clean pocket, he'll carve you up as easily as Martha Stewart carves a Thanksgiving turkey. Yet instead of pressuring Cousins, they rushed three and dropped 8 into coverage for the entire drive. Cousins and our receivers made it look like a 7-on-7 drill.

It wasn't a pretty win yesterday. But it was a win, and it was a testament to this team's ability to stick together and stay the course. I'm not sure how many teams could have survived back-to-back defensive touchdowns by the other team on consecutive plays. If not for some very poor calls that benefitted Dallas last week (which the league has verified through fines and the lack thereof) we'd likely be tied with Arizona for the final playoff spot. Given how we started the season, I'll take it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Frozen Rope
Starter

Post by Frozen Rope »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:54 pm

Yesterday, Cook was taken out of the game because the Panthers sold out to stop him. Adam Thielen was home watching on TV from his oddly designed living room. Yet the Vikings still put up 387 yards of total offense and had four receivers with at least 7 receptions and 60+ yards.

As for third and long, Carolina was 2 for 8 on 3rd downs of 6 yards or more. Meanwhile, the Vikings were 5 for 8 in those situations. You have to admit that it didn't exactly work out the way you predicted.

Overall, there is no way I'd take Carolina's offense over ours. I also wouldn't take Teddy over Cousins, CMC over Cook, or any of their receivers over JJ or Thielen. Based on their talent, I might take their defense. They're big and fast. But they were horribly coached yesterday, especially on the last drive. Everybody knows that if you give Kirk Cousins a clean pocket, he'll carve you up as easily as Martha Stewart carves a Thanksgiving turkey. Yet instead of pressuring Cousins, they rushed three and dropped 8 into coverage for the entire drive. Cousins and our receivers made it look like a 7-on-7 drill.

It wasn't a pretty win yesterday. But it was a win, and it was a testament to this team's ability to stick together and stay the course. I'm not sure how many teams could have survived back-to-back defensive touchdowns by the other team on consecutive plays. If not for some very poor calls that benefitted Dallas last week (which the league has verified through fines and the lack thereof) we'd likely be tied with Arizona for the final playoff spot. Given how we started the season, I'll take it.
Good post Kapp. “Oddly designed”, now that’s funny 😆
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Frozen Rope wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:47 pm

Good post Kapp. “Oddly designed”, now that’s funny 😆
Did you see the video? So weird. TV in the corner, about knee high.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Good read Kapp. I see you toned done that writer in you a little bit. I'm a firm believer in pressure. If a D can bring big time heat all QBs take a step back. Even the great Rodgers struggles under heat. Generating it is the problem. It's hard to win a game giving away two defensive TDs back to back. But our team didn't give up and played hard when I almost expected them to fold up tent. Great lesson for our young guys. And the coaching staff deserves credit also. Some will say this win is like putting lipstick on a pile of #### but I give them credit. One thing that got under my skin was the floating duck Teddy threw over the middle on their last drive. Where were are two high cost safeties? That ball needed to be batted down at a minimum. IMO those two need to be shoved out the door the minute the season ends. Tell them to pack your stuff and get out. I'd be looking at practice squads right now for some bodies. Nothing to lose at this point. This type of play has been going on all year. That should give 20 mill or so in CAP relief. Sorry for the negative but I'm tired of the crap safety play show.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:51 pm Good read Kapp. I see you toned done that writer in you a little bit.
I think it's age, man. As I get closer to retirement, I'm finding out that I can share my views with out pissing everybody off. It's the old "just because you can doesn't mean you should."
CharVike wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:51 pm I'm a firm believer in pressure. If a D can bring big time heat all QBs take a step back. Even the great Rodgers struggles under heat. Generating it is the problem.
Hasn't that been OUR problem all season? Pundits have been hard on our young corners, but given the lack of pressure we've been able to generate, I think they've held up remarkably well. Not that long ago, I was sitting in U.S. Bank Stadium watching the Vikings sack Matthew Stafford 10 times. I was pretty close to the field in the end zone, and the last one was right in front of me ... you could see it in Stafford's face that he'd pretty much given up. This year, we have 19 sacks in 11 games. And I don't have access to PFF stats, but our pressure rate has to be near the bottom of the league.

So when Carolina rushed three and played 8 in coverage on that last drive, it played right into what Cousins does best, which is to survey the field, go through his progressions, and deliver an accurate throw.
CharVike wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:51 pm It's hard to win a game giving away two defensive TDs back to back. But our team didn't give up and played hard when I almost expected them to fold up tent. Great lesson for our young guys. And the coaching staff deserves credit also. Some will say this win is like putting lipstick on a pile of #### but I give them credit.
Couldn't agree more.

Takes me back to that article in the other thread "A must read piece, by Tyler Dunne." If things are as bad with the coaching staff as Dunne implies, then there is no way the Vikings would have won that game after the back-to-back defensive TDs by the Panthers. Not a chance. They would have imploded. But listen to the interviews given by Cousins, Kendricks, Jefferson, et. al. after the game. They all said there was no panic, no finger pointing. Just a sense that they had to get to work. I don't know how any reasonable person couldn't give the coaching staff some credit.
CharVike wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:51 pmOne thing that got under my skin was the floating duck Teddy threw over the middle on their last drive. Where were are two high cost safeties? That ball needed to be batted down at a minimum. IMO those two need to be shoved out the door the minute the season ends. Tell them to pack your stuff and get out. I'd be looking at practice squads right now for some bodies. Nothing to lose at this point. This type of play has been going on all year. That should give 20 mill or so in CAP relief. Sorry for the negative but I'm tired of the crap safety play show.
Don't know if I agree about Smith, but Harris ... he's not the same player he was last year. But you're right about that pass by Bridgewater. That was a terrible throw that should have been defended or picked. Second time this year that we've given up that kind of pass, with the prayer to D.K. Metcalf on fourth down in Seattle being the other one.

I'd certainly be fine with moving on from Harris after the season. Smith, I'm not sure about. At some point his age is going to catch up with him. At times, he plays like the Smith of old. I'd be less inclined to give up on him, but if the Vikings do, I won't lose any sleep.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.