OBJ

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: OBJ

Post by VikingLord »

It sounds like pure speculation to me by someone who likes the Browns...

But assuming it could be true, I don't like it at all.

Beckham is a headcase. He's a talented headcase, but a headcase nonetheless. Diggs wasn't a headcase. He was a diva, but nothing like Beckham has been. Every team Beckham has played for has judged his positive contributions on the field as less impactful than his negative contributions off the field. If the Vikings shipped Diggs because he was a distraction, what makes anyone think OBJ would be a better fit in Minnesota?

I hope the cap situation prevents this deal if the Vikings are even thinking about it. The Vikings don't need a WR as bad as they need help in other areas IMHO, this draft could do a lot to help those other areas, and this is a deep draft at WR and they're likely to find some immediate help there. Whoever they get might not be as uber-talented as Beckham, but he'll cost them a lot less both in terms of contract and headaches, at least for a while.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

Given that this is supposed to be one of the deepest drafts ever for receivers, I'd rather see them roll the dice in the draft. Beckham no doubt would make them better, but I don't think it's worth it at the cost of draft picks and that huge salary, and the intangible effect of the diva personality. The local guys had TJ Housh...z..da (can't spell it, you guys know who I mean) on the radio this morning and he thinks in the draft the receivers are Jerry Jeudy and everyone else, with the everyone else still being very good receivers, just a cut below Jeudy. So there should be receiving talent available through the second round.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

cogitator wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:52 pm Given that this is supposed to be one of the deepest drafts ever for receivers, I'd rather see them roll the dice in the draft. Beckham no doubt would make them better, but I don't think it's worth it at the cost of draft picks and that huge salary, and the intangible effect of the diva personality. The local guys had TJ Housh...z..da (can't spell it, you guys know who I mean) on the radio this morning and he thinks in the draft the receivers are Jerry Jeudy and everyone else, with the everyone else still being very good receivers, just a cut below Jeudy. So there should be receiving talent available through the second round.
Agree. Jeudy is the head of this class. He's the one with the potential to be a dominant #1 WR.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Mary Kay Cabot
Cleveland Plain Dealer reporter says trade rumor is false.

Odell Beckham Jr. Trade Rumors: Report of Vikings, Browns Talks ‘False’
ADAM WELLS
APRIL 15, 2020
FILE – In this Dec. 22, 2019, file photo, Cleveland Browns wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. reacts before an NFL football game against the Baltimore Ravens, in Cleveland. A misdemeanor simple battery warrant has been issued for Cleveland Browns wide receiver and former LSU star Odell Beckham Jr., police in New Orleans said Thursday, Jan. 16, 2020. The warrant comes as video posted on social media appears to show Beckham swatting a security officer’s buttocks during LSU’s locker room victory celebration after Monday night’s college national championship game in the Superdome. (AP Photo/David Richard, File)
David Richard/Associated Press
After trading Stefon Diggs earlier this offseason, the Minnesota Vikings have been linked to talks with the Cleveland Browns about a deal for Odell Beckham Jr. in a report that has since been denied.

Per WFAN radio host Marc Malusis, the deal being discussed would require the Vikings to send their second- and fifth-round draft picks in 2021 to Cleveland in exchange for Beckham. However, a source spoke to Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com, calling the report "false."

ESPN’s Dan Graziano and Jeremy Fowler reported after the NFL Scouting Combine that the Browns were planning to have Beckham on their roster in 2020, but "they’d think about" trading him if another team blew them away with an offer.

The Browns sent Jabrill Peppers, Kevin Zeitler, and two 2019 draft picks to the New York Giants for Beckham and Olivier Vernon. Beckham had a solid year with 1,035 yards and four touchdowns, but the team struggled on its way to a 6-10 record.

Beckham was seen as a key piece to get the franchise over the hump coming off a promising 7-8-1 record in 2018 with Baker Mayfield looking like a future star as a rookie. But Beckham and Mayfield rarely seemed to be on the same page.

Minnesota has 12 total draft picks this year, including five in the first three rounds. The Vikings received first-, fifth- and sixth-round picks in the 2020 draft, as well as a fourth-round pick next year from the Buffalo Bills as part of the Diggs deal.

Diggs led the Vikings with 1,130 receiving yards in 2019. No other player on the team had more than 519.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

How reliable is Mary Kay Cabot?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:13 pm How reliable is Mary Kay Cabot?
Saw PA say he talked to reliable source, and this OBJ to Vikes is false.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:19 pm
I am not convinced it is false until after the draft
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:22 pm
fiestavike wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:19 pm

I am not convinced it is false until after the draft
I'm guessing it got leaked and messed things up so the teams are denying. I would not be surprised if it happens.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

She's very reliable on all things Browns.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I think you guys are missing some information, though.

Every report I read says that OBJ is a hard worker and a great teammate. Here are some examples.
Before joining the Cleveland Browns this offseason, Sheldon Richardson admits he'd heard the rap that Odell Beckham Jr. wasn't a great teammate. Now, after sharing the locker room with the wide receiver these past few months, Richardson has a "completely opposite" viewpoint.

"Couldn't be further from the truth. ... it's all propaganda," Richardson said of Beckham's reputation. "He's everything you want your teammate to be."
"A guy who would do anything for you if you needed it," veteran center JC Tretter said. "And that's what I think everybody has seen from him here, where if you need something, he'll go out of his way to help you out or do something for you. He's just been a class act since he got here. There hasn't been one bad interaction I think anybody's had with him.

"He's been the model teammate."
"When you don't play with a superstar, you don't really know about him except for what the media says," Browns guard Joel Bitonio said. "I've had teammates that played with him in New York and all of them said that he was a great guy when he was there, but you just continue to hear things on social media and the TV that are saying, 'Oh, he's not a good teammate. Oh, he's a cancer in the locker room.'

"The thing with Odell is he's so competitive that he wants to win so badly and be so good that it may look like that from the outside. But from the inside you know that he is fighting for his teammates and only wants the best for us."

Interviews with more than a dozen other Cleveland players revealed the same opinion: OBJ, so far at least, has been the model teammate.
All of these come from the same article. There are plenty more like it.

A second and a fifth? I'd do that deal in an instant. It's worth whatever risk you may think comes with it. On a bad Cleveland team, on what was considered a down year for OBJ, he still had 74 grabs for more than 1,000 yards.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Dakotavike
Starter

Post by Dakotavike »

I, personally, am not buying into this rumor at all. Too many moving parts to make it work with the cap. Is there a way to make it happen? Sure. But in a year with a loaded WR class it just doesn’t make sense.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

A WR we can't afford, who has shown over and over again his frustration when he doesn't get the ball, paired up with a QB that either misses seeing guys open or won't pull the trigger to give them a chance.

What a disastrous trade this would be...

He'll be attacking Bailey's FG net by game 3.
kidfozzy.
Starter

Post by kidfozzy. »

For a 2nd and a 5th, yes, I would do it. OBJ is a diva, but he is a straight up ball player. Him and Thielen would wreak havoc on the field.

At the expense of possibly losing Anthony Harris long-term after his franchise tag is what I’m scared about. Our secondary is decimated, if Vikes do not hit in this year’s draft or make important offseason trades, this defense can really deflate long-term.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Dakotavike wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:06 pm I, personally, am not buying into this rumor at all. Too many moving parts to make it work with the cap. Is there a way to make it happen? Sure. But in a year with a loaded WR class it just doesn’t make sense.
Maybe the Vikings are gun-shy about depending on a WR they drafted high after the Laquon Treadwell debacle.

Here's the thing. We can't believe ANYTHING anybody says -- either way -- until it happens. Teams are notorious for putting out disinformation. Remember when Spielman said he wouldn't trade Harvin? Remember when he said he wouldn't trade Diggs?

This could be real, or it could be a bad rumor. The "source close to the Vikings" who said "no" to the Cleveland reporter might be putting out bullsh!t (and if it's PA, you can just about assume so ... he does, after all, work for the Vikings).

We'll find out soon enough whether it's true.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:41 pm
Dakotavike wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:06 pm I, personally, am not buying into this rumor at all. Too many moving parts to make it work with the cap. Is there a way to make it happen? Sure. But in a year with a loaded WR class it just doesn’t make sense.
Maybe the Vikings are gun-shy about depending on a WR they drafted high after the Laquon Treadwell debacle.

Here's the thing. We can't believe ANYTHING anybody says -- either way -- until it happens. Teams are notorious for putting out disinformation. Remember when Spielman said he wouldn't trade Harvin? Remember when he said he wouldn't trade Diggs?

This could be real, or it could be a bad rumor. The "source close to the Vikings" who said "no" to the Cleveland reporter might be putting out bullsh!t (and if it's PA, you can just about assume so ... he does, after all, work for the Vikings).

We'll find out soon enough whether it's true.
Given the controversial opinions about OBJ, I wouldn't be shocked in the Vikings themselves floated this in order to gauge the reaction of fans and sponsors before finalizing the deal. But I also wouldn't be shocked if its just pure speculation.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins