Vikings put franchise tag on Harris!!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings put franchise tag on Harris!!

Post by RandyMoss84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:01 pm This is huge.

The Vikings never use the franchise tag.

With some of this cap space being freed up (Joseph, Rhodes, Cousins, Griffen) I hope that means we're serious about improving the O-line. Because tagging Harris tells me that management thinks this team can win the Super Bowl. They'd better start improving that O-line and shoring up the rest of the d-backfield, or they'll be looking dumber than a bag of hammers.
That is not true, Vikings used the franchise tag on Kleinsasser and Greenway and now this is the 3rd time in history that Vikings used the franchise tag
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I hope it’s to trade. Ant Harris is great but I think they’re over valuing his position. We need corners. We lost Weatherly and probably Griffen. We need another DT. A replacement for Diggs. Oh yeah, and our OL is also horrid.

Most of those holes will need to be filled with rookies or guys on the bench (Hill, Watts, etc). It’s looking like a partial rebuild year. I guess Smith is getting up there in age so maybe they’re working on a contingency plan but no matter how you slice it we have major holes right now and Harris seems more like a luxury we can’t afford.

Spielman and Zimmer’s game plan is definitely a head scratcher right now.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:30 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:12 pm

Not sure how it was dumb when it was exactly what brought Harris back to us.
The two are unrelated, except that Cousins massive initial contract made it difficult to extend him for much cheaper last year.

As I said they could have gotten that 10 million in a bunch of different ways that did not involve extending Cousins, and that would have had the same net affect: 10 million moved from this year to the next.
They are unrelated? How? And what are the ways to get Harris back? I’d like to know
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:36 pm I hope it’s to trade. Ant Harris is great but I think they’re over valuing his position. We need corners. We lost Weatherly and probably Griffen. We need another DT. A replacement for Diggs. Oh yeah, and our OL is also horrid.

Most of those holes will need to be filled with rookies or guys on the bench (Hill, Watts, etc). It’s looking like a partial rebuild year. I guess Smith is getting up there in age so maybe they’re working on a contingency plan but no matter how you slice it we have major holes right now and Harris seems more like a luxury we can’t afford.

I don’t think it’s a head scratcher at all. We now have 13 picks in a draft that is loaded with CB, OT and WR, all positions of need. It’s quite clear what the plan is. As for Harris, keep him. He’s a play making ball hawk. We need that. Harry isn’t getting any younger and we don’t have many CBs that can pick the ball off. Harris is known for that. He was like that in college too
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 pm
S197 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:36 pm I hope it’s to trade. Ant Harris is great but I think they’re over valuing his position. We need corners. We lost Weatherly and probably Griffen. We need another DT. A replacement for Diggs. Oh yeah, and our OL is also horrid.

I don’t think it’s a head scratcher at all. We now have 13 picks in a draft that is loaded with CB, OT and WR, all positions of need. It’s quite clear what the plan is. As for Harris, keep him. He’s a play making ball hawk. We need that. Harry isn’t getting any younger and we don’t have many CBs that can pick the ball off. Harris is known for that. He was like that in college too
I think it’s a bigger drop off from a Waynes to a Kris Boyd than a Harris to a Sendejo. We have 13 picks but corner, WR and OT are some of the hardest and longest to transition. Then you need faith Rick doesn’t draft/pickup another Beavers, Clemmings, Remmers, Elflein, etc. or another Treadwell or Patterson.

There is big time execution risk and even if those picks pan out, it may not be for two years, just in time to give Cousins another fat paycheck. I’m worried Cousins and the front office keeps us in a constant state of purgatory. At the very least, next season is looking like a sunk cost absent an absolute homerun of a draft.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:12 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 pm

I think it’s a bigger drop off from a Waynes to a Kris Boyd than a Harris to a Sendejo. We have 13 picks but corner, WR and OT are some of the hardest and longest to transition. Then you need faith Rick doesn’t draft/pickup another Beavers, Clemmings, Remmers, Elflein, etc. or another Treadwell or Patterson.

There is big time execution risk and even if those picks pan out, it may not be for two years, just in time to give Cousins another fat paycheck. I’m worried Cousins and the front office keeps us in a constant state of purgatory. At the very least, next season is looking like a sunk cost absent an absolute homerun of a draft.
The chances of us drafting an O’Neill, diggs, Hunter, Kendricks, Alexander type player are just as high. Guys can complain all they want about spielman but he’s also the reason we have the talent we do. Some teams would kill to have the young stud players we do. Spielman has definitely been one of the better drafting GMs in the league. And even more so now in later rounds
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:26 am
S197 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:12 am

The chances of us drafting an O’Neill, diggs, Hunter, Kendricks, Alexander type player are just as high. Guys can complain all they want about spielman but he’s also the reason we have the talent we do. Some teams would kill to have the young stud players we do. Spielman has definitely been one of the better drafting GMs in the league. And even more so now in later rounds
To me it depends on the position. I trust him with drafting DE, LB and S. OL and WR? Eh, not so much. ONeill is okay but they botched that draft, by his own admission he misread the run on guard. Bradbury deserves another season but leaves much to desire. Elflein is looking like a miss. Diggs was more of an outlier, he’s missed his share of high WR picks. Harvin had a great rookie season but outside of that he’s missed.

I was one of the biggest supporters of Spielman on this forum but it’s getting tougher to ignore his flaws because he really hasn’t learned anything in 10 years. We’ve never had a decent OL. He never drafts a contingency QB despite loading up on picks. As good as he is at certain things, he has major blind spots.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:06 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:30 pm

The two are unrelated, except that Cousins massive initial contract made it difficult to extend him for much cheaper last year.

As I said they could have gotten that 10 million in a bunch of different ways that did not involve extending Cousins, and that would have had the same net affect: 10 million moved from this year to the next.
They are unrelated? How? And what are the ways to get Harris back? I’d like to know
I have posted them multiple times, but lets try this again.
Restructure a combination Barr, Kendricks, Theilen, Smith, or Hunter.

The free agents they do sign could have had contracts back filled to lessen the cap this year.

See how that works? It is just moving cap space from future years to this one and there are tons of ways to do it without extending a QB who gives you no hope of winning a SB and pisses off your best play maker so much he wants to leave.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

S197 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:45 am

To me it depends on the position. I trust him with drafting DE, LB and S. OL and WR? Eh, not so much. ONeill is okay but they botched that draft, by his own admission he misread the run on guard. Bradbury deserves another season but leaves much to desire. Elflein is looking like a miss. Diggs was more of an outlier, he’s missed his share of high WR picks. Harvin had a great rookie season but outside of that he’s missed.

I was one of the biggest supporters of Spielman on this forum but it’s getting tougher to ignore his flaws because he really hasn’t learned anything in 10 years. We’ve never had a decent OL. He never drafts a contingency QB despite loading up on picks. As good as he is at certain things, he has major blind spots.
He has also struggled with the WR position, with Diggs being his only bright spot.

He has given up a 1st for both Patterson and Treadwell and has been pretty awful at finding WRs in FAs as well.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

It’s easy to sit there and look at the bad. But you also have to be mindful of the roster he’s built recently.

And I’m sorry but O’Neill is way better than just “okay”. He’s allowed 1 sack in two years. Which I believe was in the SF playoff game this season. I’m not sure how that warrants okay?

And Harvin was a legitimate stud. Harvin was Harvins own problem. He ended up being a head case. If spielman can find guys like diggs and Thielen, he can find a good WR and this is the class you want to do it. Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, Higgins, Jefferson, Shenault and Reagor could all be first round picks. And I don’t think there is one I wouldn’t want. Aiyuk could even go in the first as well.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:36 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:06 pm

I have posted them multiple times, but lets try this again.
Restructure a combination Barr, Kendricks, Theilen, Smith, or Hunter.

The free agents they do sign could have had contracts back filled to lessen the cap this year.

See how that works? It is just moving cap space from future years to this one and there are tons of ways to do it without extending a QB who gives you no hope of winning a SB and pisses off your best play maker so much he wants to leave.
Lol you’re just comical at this point. Pushing cap down the line for multiple players will end up putting us in cap hell just as easily down the road. They very well might not be interested in a QB this year given all our other needs. We have no idea because we aren’t in there having those conversations. But bottom line is, you are going to blame cousins for everything. Cousins could’ve taken a $5 contract extension and you’d still complain. Chad greenway called out diggs for wanting to be the guy and not getting that here and it’s why he wants out. Because he’s selfish.

So what legitimate source out there can confirm that it was specifically Kirk cousins as to why diggs left?? There isn’t one. It’s media driven (as well as cousins hater driven). A class act former teammate of Diggs said that the reason he wanted out was because he couldn’t be the guy. I’m sorry but I think chad greenway has a much better idea of how diggs is than Greg Rosenthal does.
Greenway had this to say about Diggs’ current situation: “To me, it’s just a cry out to say, ‘I’m trying to get out of here. I want to go be the guy somewhere else because I can’t be the guy here with (Adam) Thielen here,’” Greenway said. “That’s how I see it and I don’t know how it could mean anything different than that.”
^but you keep blaming it on cousins saying he’s the one pissing diggs off so much he wants to leave when cousins is the guy that has given diggs the 2 best years of his career. And is now going to rot in buffalo. But guess who’s happy? Diggs because it’s all about him now. He’d rather have that than a super bowl.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:39 am

He has also struggled with the WR position, with Diggs being his only bright spot.

He has given up a 1st for both Patterson and Treadwell and has been pretty awful at finding WRs in FAs as well.
I guess Thielen must’ve been a walk on that snuck on the team without spielman knowing
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:12 am
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:39 am

I guess Thielen must’ve been a walk on that snuck on the team without spielman knowing
Theilen is a UDFA who was originally brought in primarily because he is one of us. You are right though, he has a great track record of finding talent at Mankato State. Best in the NFL.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:10 am

Lol you’re just comical at this point. Pushing cap down the line for multiple players will end up putting us in cap hell just as easily down the road. They very well might not be interested in a QB this year given all our other needs. We have no idea because we aren’t in there having those conversations.
I am comical because I answered your question with a reasonable response? Yes pushing cap down the line with those players is the same as with Cousins, with one exception: We didn't have to over pay a QB to push that cap down the line. Didn't have to alter the length of any contracts, could just move cap from future years to this one.
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:10 am Cousins could’ve taken a $5 contract extension and you’d still complain.
Show me where I said that. Weak #### argument dude. Try to be better.
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:10 am But bottom line is, you are going to blame cousins for everything. Chad greenway called out diggs for wanting to be the guy and not getting that here and it’s why he wants out. Because he’s selfish.
Yes Greenway did say that and it could be true. It could also be complete BS. In the end Diggs is the only one who truly knows why he hated his QB so much he wanted out of MN.
Punkoholic
Rookie

Post by Punkoholic »

Apparently offering him in a trade for a mid round pick.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.co ... a74&sr=amp