Denver Broncos Pregame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Denver Broncos Pregame Thread

Post by Dames »

Just for fun.... using https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... edictions/

The Vikings currently have an 86% chance to make the playoffs.

Here are our playoff chances depending on how our next 2 games go:

Code: Select all

Denver	Seattle	%Chance
W	W	   99%
L	W  	   91%
W	L	   82%
L	L 	   54%
Splitting the next 2 at a minimum is pretty important. Winning in Seattle has the greatest impact, but even just a win vs Denver is huge. Winning both makes us a lock for the playoffs basically. Losing both is not a death sentence, but it really hurts us obviously.

Surprisingly, what GB does during that stretch has very little impact on our chances (1% to 4%). It has an impact on our seeding of course, but that's another discussion and it's way too early to look at all those scenarios.
Damian
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

mansquatch wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:24 am
CharVike wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:11 am
Getting a little ahead of the action. To me our problem is going to be the Packers. They might lose one more game. That means the road will go through Lambo. For the now we need to smash this Bronco squad. The team sucks. Don't have a QB that should be in the NFL. Don't get much easier than that. I don't see how they will score against us. Should be 20 something to 3. Basically resting our guys for the run.
As it stands now the Vikings need to keep winning. We also need GB to lose one more game. That will set up a show down for all the marbles in December in Minneapolis. Ideally, the 49ers will do us a solid on Nov 24th and beat the Pack. That game got flexed to Sunday night so get our your Red and Gold!

For the Vikings the major stumbling block is the game in SEA. That is a must win for us. I think if we lose one game we are probably a 6th seed despite being 12-4.

A lot can change between now and then though. The Packers haven't been blowing people out, they've been winning in the margins. They could have a ball bounce the other way and then we have a bigger margin for error. Also, teams like SEA, SF, and NO are all in the thick of their division schedules. We just saw NO get beat by a hapless Falcons team. The playoff picture will likely change a lot in the coming weeks. The NFC in December is going to be fun to watch.
As you said things will change. The Pack could loss a few more. It wouldn't surprise me. There doesn't appear to be a dominate team in the NFC. SEA looks dam tough and hate to say it but the Pack do also. They have changed that team around. They are playing a different game than when Mac had them. We should have beat them. But a should gets you nothing. Your right December will be fun.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

It's annoying that someone in the NFCE is not only getting in the playoffs but will also have a home game. But it is what it is.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

S197 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:46 pm It's annoying that someone in the NFCE is not only getting in the playoffs but will also have a home game. But it is what it is.
Yes it is. But that's the way it is now. The North is a tough gig. The West might be tougher. We are lucky the Bears don't have a QB. That didn't help us so far. But we will meet again and that's a must win. Same with the Pack. Even the Lions are no longer a push over. But they still suck. That NFCE is easy. The Boys will win that and then get dumped at home. Worst part is a better team than them won't make it. Could even be us.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:48 pm
S197 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:46 pm It's annoying that someone in the NFCE is not only getting in the playoffs but will also have a home game. But it is what it is.
Yes it is. But that's the way it is now. The North is a tough gig. The West might be tougher. We are lucky the Bears don't have a QB. That didn't help us so far. But we will meet again and that's a must win. Same with the Pack. Even the Lions are no longer a push over. But they still suck. That NFCE is easy. The Boys will win that and then get dumped at home. Worst part is a better team than them won't make it. Could even be us.
Eagles might actually win the NFCE.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:13 am
That wouldn't surprise me at all. They have the easier schedule if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure either of them win 10 games.
Damian
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

NFCE has been the garbage NFC conference for a while now. Aside from the Eagles run in 2017, that conference has been woefully over-rated. It greatly benefits from East Coast media bias and the fact that most sports reporters seemed to have grown up watching the Cowboys of the 90s yet seem to have somehow missed that they haven't done anything since 1996.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Yes after I submitted I realized that but it's 1/2 of one ect..... I think we are better than both. We could be watching and they both could make it. Our problem is we are not at the top dog level. The media is now talking about us but even beating Dallas all they talk about was what a tremendous game Dak had. I'm sorry but they were the home favorite and Dak had one of his or greatest games ever and they lost. I never heard of a lose as a great QB game. Especially when he was on the favored team. He didn't do enough. Didn't even need to score 30. That's not a great QB performance in my book. Sorry but when you lose that's never a great performance.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:32 pm Our problem is we are not at the top dog level.
I wouldn't call that a problem per se. Flying under the radar is generally a good thing. Outright disrespect, or contempt, is not, and I have seen plenty of that towards the Vikings this year from many in the media, but there are also many who see the warts on the team while acknowledging their legitimate potential to compete if certain things fall into place.

I also believe that one way or another, the Vikings' time flying under anyone's radar this season is about to end. The Vikes get this last home game against a losing team, and then in the last five weeks of the season they get a Monday Night Football game against the Seahawks, a Sunday Night Football game against the Chargers, and another Monday Night Football game against the Packers. And they could have another prime time game to finish the year if the Bears become competitive late and the NFL flexes that game.

The last weeks of this season are going to thrust the Vikings into the national conversation if they do well. We'll watch the naysayers disappear and the Vikings will get serious respect and establish themselves as top dog contenders.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:41 pm
CharVike wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:32 pm Our problem is we are not at the top dog level.
I wouldn't call that a problem per se. Flying under the radar is generally a good thing. Outright disrespect, or contempt, is not, and I have seen plenty of that towards the Vikings this year from many in the media, but there are also many who see the warts on the team while acknowledging their legitimate potential to compete if certain things fall into place.

I also believe that one way or another, the Vikings' time flying under anyone's radar this season is about to end. The Vikes get this last home game against a losing team, and then in the last five weeks of the season they get a Monday Night Football game against the Seahawks, a Sunday Night Football game against the Chargers, and another Monday Night Football game against the Packers. And they could have another prime time game to finish the year if the Bears become competitive late and the NFL flexes that game.

The last weeks of this season are going to thrust the Vikings into the national conversation if they do well. We'll watch the naysayers disappear and the Vikings will get serious respect and establish themselves as top dog contenders.
We have a good team there is no doubt about that. What gets under my skin is we should have beat that Chief squad. They had nothing at QB. A top level team beats them. Getting down 21-0 to Green Bay really put us in a bind. It's almost impossible at that point. The only story we are to the media is to rip us for signing Cousins. Now that we are winning it's getting harder to do that. Even after we beat Dallas as road dogs the talk was all about how great Dak is. Some fans are like that to. The guy lost a home favorite game. Could have stretch there division lead. If we get beat Sunday they will be right back with the terrible Cousins signing stuff.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:45 pm

We have a good team there is no doubt about that. What gets under my skin is we should have beat that Chief squad. They had nothing at QB. A top level team beats them. Getting down 21-0 to Green Bay really put us in a bind. It's almost impossible at that point. The only story we are to the media is to rip us for signing Cousins. Now that we are winning it's getting harder to do that. Even after we beat Dallas as road dogs the talk was all about how great Dak is. Some fans are like that to. The guy lost a home favorite game. Could have stretch there division lead. If we get beat Sunday they will be right back with the terrible Cousins signing stuff.
Trying to catch the logic of your posts is like trying to put shoes on a chicken.

Again, your failure to acknowledge good quarterback play is absolutely baffling.

You blast Dak Prescott for throwing for 397 yards in a loss. Yet Matt Moore threw for 275 and WON and he's "nothing." Just ... wow. You know, it's actually possible for a quarterback to play well against us.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Case in point ...

Leading up to the Dallas game, Colin Cowherd says, "The Vikings are fool's gold."

Vikings beat the Cowboys, Cowherd says, "I've been saying all year ... Minnesota has the most talented roster in the NFL. They can go far."

Amazing how the talking heads jump on whatever bandwagon seems the most comfy.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:03 pm

Case in point ...

Leading up to the Dallas game, Colin Cowherd says, "The Vikings are fool's gold."

Vikings beat the Cowboys, Cowherd says, "I've been saying all year ... Minnesota has the most talented roster in the NFL. They can go far."

Amazing how the talking heads jump on whatever bandwagon seems the most comfy.
I don’t know that the two statements are mutually exclusive.

On defense you have Barr (1st), Kendricks (2nd), Rhodes (1st), Wayne’s (1st), Alexander (2nd), Hughes (1st), and Smith (1st). Hunter was a 3rd rounder and Linval was a big FA pickup. On offense you have a $84M QB, Diggs, Thielen, Cook, Mattison, Rudolph, and Smith. The line also has two 1st round picks (Reiff and Bradbury) and a 2nd in O’Neil.

So on paper they likely are one of the more talented rosters. Which I think then begs the question, why hasn’t there been more success? I take the fools gold comment to mean the performance and execution hasn’t lived up to the roster talent. On paper, this is a team that should contend. Not a team that gets eliminated from playoff contention, at home, against a team playing with nothing to gain. Or a team that gets absolutely embarrassed in the NFCC game when they had a once in a lifetime opportunity to play in the SB at home.

Maybe this year will be different. But right now this is a wildcard team, which still fits the narrative. The Vikings were really hyped by the media coming into last year. I don’t really see the comments as a lack of respect, I think it’s more a case of this team has a penchant for big letdowns. Until that stops, fans and talking heads alike are always going to be skeptical.
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

CharVike wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:32 pm

Yes after I submitted I realized that but it's 1/2 of one ect..... I think we are better than both. We could be watching and they both could make it. Our problem is we are not at the top dog level. The media is now talking about us but even beating Dallas all they talk about was what a tremendous game Dak had. I'm sorry but they were the home favorite and Dak had one of his or greatest games ever and they lost. I never heard of a lose as a great QB game. Especially when he was on the favored team. He didn't do enough. Didn't even need to score 30. That's not a great QB performance in my book. Sorry but when you lose that's never a great performance.
I never understood the logic that says--if the teams loses the game, the QB can't be credited with a good performance--. The QB can have a very good /great game but still come away with a loss. I thought Dak played great, which surprised me because I've never thought much of him as a QB. He has improved.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:14 am
CharVike wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:32 pm
I never understood the logic that says--if the teams loses the game, the QB can't be credited with a good performance--. The QB can have a very good /great game but still come away with a loss. I thought Dak played great, which surprised me because I've never thought much of him as a QB. He has improved.
I think there is a stigma associated with him because of his draft status. Tom Brady probably would have gone through the same thing if he had just taken his team to the playoffs in his first few years and not won the SB.

He is a good QB who also has an elite offensive line, RB, and WRs.

One thing about his play this year versus previous years, he has been elite in the 4th qtr when down a score or less prior to this season, and has been abysmal this season. 13 TDs, 1 INT from 2016-2018, 0 TDs, 2 INTs in 2019. 14-22 in the former, 0-3 this season.

Just a small look into why QB play is so important to winning. If Dak were as good in prior years in the 4th this year, his team is 7-2 and looking at a #1 seed after the 9ers fall apart. Instead there is a good chance they miss out on the playoffs.