Bears vs. Vikings Pregame; Win and in

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Re: Bears vs. Vikings Pregame; Win and in

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Purple Domination wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:54 pm
PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:46 pm Has anyone heard any updates today on the injury front?
Per Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero on Twitter:
Rhodes returned to practice
Kendricks out today and likely out for Sunday
Sherels out today
Ham out today
Beebe out today

Glad to see Rhodes back. Kendricks worries me less since Wilson is playing well and hamstrings are not injuries to rush. Sherels worries me because we all know how important sure hands are on punt returns *vigorously knocks on wood*
Thank you.

Hopefully all these guys get right for the playoffs in the event Minnesota wins.

I'm assuming Linval is a go then?
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Reports on NFL Network and ESPN that Allen Robinson and Eddie Jackson are both doubtful for Bears Sunday. So that's 1 playmaker on each side of the ball for them that we hopefully will not be facing.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:36 pm
Purple Domination wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:54 pm

Per Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero on Twitter:
Rhodes returned to practice
Kendricks out today and likely out for Sunday
Sherels out today
Ham out today
Beebe out today

Glad to see Rhodes back. Kendricks worries me less since Wilson is playing well and hamstrings are not injuries to rush. Sherels worries me because we all know how important sure hands are on punt returns *vigorously knocks on wood*
Man, Beebe is always hurt. I think the talk of him being an answer at the #3 spot should be put on hold until he can stay healthy for more than a game.
I've noticed that too. He isn't really grabbing the opportunity by the horns here.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:59 pmI think they approach with intentions of not holding back from a standpoint of playing their starters, but as I alluded to in the original post, there's a different motivation factor when you're playing to better your seed than there is playing to just get in. It's hard to stay up for a game like that when you know it's still partly out of your control and you want to play your best in the playoffs and not week 17.

I think if Minnesota smacks them in the mouth early and often, I think the Bears will pull back the troops just wanting to get out of Minnesota healthy.

I just fear Kirk committing an early turnover (or really anyone for that matter) that gives Chicago early life. Trying to make a comeback against that defense isn't something I'm excited to see.
I think that's the biggest danger (turnovers, not just turnovers from Cousins). Early turnovers, in particular, could give the Bearsa lift and increase their motivation. As you said, there's a different motivation factor when playing to better playoff seeding than there is playing just to get into the postseason. However, early momentum in the Bears favor could have the effect of getting them more into the game (after all, it's fun to win) and that would be a problem.

We'll see how it plays out, I hope the Vikes are prepared to stuff the run because I think they may see a lot of running and play action from Chicago. The Bears are going to be a tough "out" two weeks in a row!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

This game will tell me a lot about Mike Zimmer. Other than last season's NFCC game, this is the biggest games he's had, and it's at home. If they come out flat and get behind early and can't come back, it will be time to cut the cord. This is literally the season. Philly is not losing to Washington. This is what he wanted... A win and in game.
On paper the Vikings have a better team than Chicago, although Chicago's defense has their strengths where we have our offensive weaknesses.
I am 50/50 on this game. I can see it going both ways. The one thing I don't see happening is a Viking rout. My guess is it will come down to a field goal or late score of some kind.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Many factors have led to where the Vikings find themselves this week, but two that truly stand out for me are:

1) Daniel Carlson's pitiful performance at Green Bay. Missed from 48, 49 and from 35 yards in OT. Disgusting. That should have been a W.

2) The Bills game, which was a collective disaster. A game that we should have dominated and instead we got whipped by a crappy 5-10 team.

If either of those didn't happen, we wouldn't have the drama that's coming on Sunday.

:wallbang: :wallbang:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

soflavike wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:06 pm Many factors have led to where the Vikings find themselves this week, but two that truly stand out for me are:

1) Daniel Carlson's pitiful performance at Green Bay. Missed from 48, 49 and from 35 yards in OT. Disgusting. That should have been a W.

2) The Bills game, which was a collective disaster. A game that we should have dominated and instead we got whipped by a crappy 5-10 team.

If either of those didn't happen, we wouldn't have the drama that's coming on Sunday.

I agree. They made theur bed and now they have to lay in it.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:04 pm This game will tell me a lot about Mike Zimmer. Other than last season's NFCC game, this is the biggest games he's had, and it's at home. If they come out flat and get behind early and can't come back, it will be time to cut the cord. This is literally the season. Philly is not losing to Washington. This is what he wanted... A win and in game.
... and if they win it, we may learn even more about him next week because getting in is just a first step. Can he prepare his team well enough to win back-to-back games against a quality divisional opponent, including a postseason game on the road? As we've been discussing in this thread, the Bears will likely try to win this game but they won't pull out all the stops because their place in the postseason is secure. Next week, if they face the Vikings, you can bet Matt Nagy and his staff will dig deeper into their playbooks.
On paper the Vikings have a better team than Chicago, although Chicago's defense has their strengths where we have our offensive weaknesses.
Personally, I think they're pretty evenly matched. The Vikes obviously have a talented roster but I think their overall talent level is slightly overrated.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:32 pm
PurpleMustReign wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:04 pm This game will tell me a lot about Mike Zimmer. Other than last season's NFCC game, this is the biggest games he's had, and it's at home. If they come out flat and get behind early and can't come back, it will be time to cut the cord. This is literally the season. Philly is not losing to Washington. This is what he wanted... A win and in game.
... and if they win it, we may learn even more about him next week because getting in is just a first step. Can he prepare his team well enough to win back-to-back games against a quality divisional opponent, including a postseason game on the road? As we've been discussing in this thread, the Bears will likely try to win this game but they won't pull out all the stops because their place in the postseason is secure. Next week, if they face the Vikings, you can bet Matt Nagy and his staff will dig deeper into their playbooks.
Personally, I think they're pretty evenly matched. The Vikes obviously have a talented roster but I think their overall talent level is slightly overrated.
On offense maybe but their defense has tons of talent, and perhaps more importantly, a ton of depth. I don't remember a Viking defense being this deep in my lifetime (credit to spielman and Zimmer there). They've lost what was looking to be a dynamic rookie and have had their starting linebackers miss multiple games each and really didn't take a step back (plus didn't Waynes miss a game?).
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

soflavike wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:06 pm Many factors have led to where the Vikings find themselves this week, but two that truly stand out for me are:

What stands out to me is their 3-3 record after the bye, with 3 road losses to playoff teams. That doesn't bode well since they'll literally need to win 3 road playoff games to reach the Super Bowl if they can make the playoffs. Anyway, they had everything in front of them after the bye: the division, a playoff spot... it was all there for them to seize and they couldn't do it. The've bounced back with good games against Miami and Detroit to give themselves one last opportunity. Hopefully, they'll make the most of it.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:40 pmOn offense maybe but their defense has tons of talent, and perhaps more importantly, a ton of depth.
As I said, they're talented. :)
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

As is said...You are what your record says you are. I think the tie in the Green Bay game is fitting because where you see a "should have won," I just as easily see a "should have lost."

They deserved to lose the Bills games for coming out the way they did. Such a pathetic performance that day.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:36 pm [quote="Purple Domination" post_id=675849 time=1546023262

Man, Beebe is always hurt. I think the talk of him being an answer at the #3 spot should be put on hold until he can stay healthy for more than a game.
Unfortunately those hammy issues can linger.
To me, I say give Aldrick Robinson a shot at the #3 rec. Hear me out. Yes the guy is shorter. But hes fast, quick, runs great routes, has good hands, has excellent rapport with his QB, he is tough and not afraid to go over the middle and in the slot, can really do something after he gets the ball, and most importantly the dude has serious speed to talent he top off the D secondary and be wide open for the long ball. Let's see, dang reminds me of someone, crap what was his name?? A decent player who helped his team. Oh yeah, guy named Wes Welker. Anyone heard of that guy??? And he also does that He only catches TDs like that guy Buddy Ryan cut who went to another team and ended up in the HOF. Seriously though, the dude can be a weapon IMOP. AND, the D would have to start respecting him, which would free up a double team on AT or Diggs possibly, leave Rudy open, get Cook open in space and let him do his magic and help outbalotbon play action.
C'mon Zim and Stef.. get creative and give the dude a chance to be a weapon or at the least a decoy to help us be more efficient, win the time of possession battle and make some big scoring plays when needed.
I wanna see us come out on Offense and be as aggressive as we usually are on D and make a statement that we are there to win the damn game and step on their necks and dominate!!! That's what this game is about.
Ok my self therapy is done now. Thanks for listening. If you endured all that pls send me a bill so I can get it turned in on this yrs insurance since my deductibles are all met!!
I end with SKOL VIKINGS.. Show the world we are more than capable and want this game!!! DAMNIT!!!!!
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Trying hard to put my inexplicable holy hatred of the Bears aside for a moment.

The Vikings need to grab the lead. In Chicago, we fell behind early, then scrambled unsuccessfully to get back in it against an opportunistic defense that loves it when an offense gets desperate. They made it work, with a pick-6 that ended up being the margin of victory. As he so often does, Zimmer figured out how to stop the Bears offense and virtually shut them down in the second half. But the early 2-TD deficit, the red-zone turnover by Cook, and the untimely pick-6 did us in.

Again, we need to get ahead. I do not see the Bears as a come-from-behind team. Not against this defense. So it's imperative that we at least keep it somewhat even for the first 30 minutes. If we can get the lead and take it into the locker room, I believe the Bears will be finished. Zimmer rarely gets out-schemed defensively in the second half.

A lot of people are putting this on Kirk Cousins, but IMO the real key is establishing the running game. Cousins is a different quarterback when he can take snaps from under center and run play-action. I'd love to see a lot of Cook on the first couple or three possessions. Not just running the ball, but also on swing passes out of the backfield. Draw those linebackers and safeties up toward the line of scrimmage, then go back to Thielen and Diggs in the passing game off play-action. But if the Vikings get behind and have to play one-dimensional, it's going to be tough for Cousins.

Most importantly, we CANNOT turn the ball over. As we all know, Chicago thrives off turnovers, and they're really good at causing them. We have got to cover up when we're about to get tackled. The Bears are masters at punching the ball out. Cousins has to keep from fumbling. He's been much better lately with the fumbles, and that needs to continue. Obviously we can't afford stupid interceptions, like the pick-6 in Chicago. If we end up even or in the plus column when it comes to turnovers, I like our chances.

Just beat these dicks. God I hate the freaking Bears.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:46 pm Has anyone heard any updates today on the injury front?
Compton and Rhodes are questionable.

Kendricks, Beebe, Ham, Sherels are out.

No one listed as doubtful.