Thoughts Week 2

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: Thoughts Week 2

Post by halfgiz »

I thought when AD injured his knee...I thought it was getting time for him to start taking control of the game.
Hope he has a healthy recovery.
Is Harris on IR for the year because Fusco was REALLY bad last night.
Kalil was pretty much his usual self.
Wayne's needs to start getting his head around and looking for the ball.

Best part of the game was watching what our D done to Rodgers.

Another tough game coming up this week. :govikes:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

720pete wrote:Quick everyone who hated the trade pretend like you actually supported it! :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
C'mon man. Why do you have to say something like that?

Vikings fans are understandably over the moon about SB's performance, and a lot of those fans were fine with the trade. Go back and read the thread. I was very transparent about it. At first, I wasn't sure, mainly because of the price, but after a day or two, I realized that he was the No. 1 pick in the draft, and has always had an elite arm ... he also was beginning to shine in Philly during the latter stages of last year. So after initially questioning the trade, I embraced it with hope, understanding that this kind of success in an emergency trade is rare. I also think my attitude was pretty typical on this board. Certainly not unique.

The better question is, "How many of you saw this kind of performance coming so early in the season?"

I wasn't sure he would play a game like this AT ALL during 2016, let alone his very first game, with only two weeks of practice. I didn't even want him to start last night. Not that I'm a Shaun Hill fan. I was simply afraid that Sam would be too unfamiliar and would make critical mistakes. Instead, he outplayed the great and God-like Erin Rodgers by a mile. And Rodgers was was the one making all the mistakes. Definitely didn't see THAT coming.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: C'mon man. Why do you have to say something like that?

Vikings fans are understandably over the moon about SB's performance, and a lot of those fans were fine with the trade. Go back and read the thread. I was very transparent about it. At first, I wasn't sure, mainly because of the price, but after a day or two, I realized that he was the No. 1 pick in the draft, and has always had an elite arm ... he also was beginning to shine in Philly during the latter stages of last year. So after initially questioning the trade, I embraced it with hope, understanding that this kind of success in an emergency trade is rare. I also think my attitude was pretty typical on this board. Certainly not unique.

The better question is, "How many of you saw this kind of performance coming so early in the season?"

I wasn't sure he would play a game like this AT ALL during 2016, let alone his very first game, with only two weeks of practice. I didn't even want him to start last night. Not that I'm a Shaun Hill fan. I was simply afraid that Sam would be too unfamiliar and would make critical mistakes. Instead, he outplayed the great and God-like Erin Rodgers by a mile. And Rodgers was was the one making all the mistakes. Definitely didn't see THAT coming.

I was in favor of the trade from the get go, even though I winced at the price. All things considered, however, I felt like we had to do something. We are slightly above average with Hill, and I thought we had the potential to be very good with a passer like Bradford.

But as you point out, Kapp, there's no way in heck that I thought SB would play THIS well in his first game so soon after arriving in town and learning Norv's system. He looked so polished and confident and already has good chemistry with Diggs. I can see that he's still working things out with Rudy, but the TD pass to him was a beauty and the way he stood in and took the blow while delivering a perfect ball to Diggs was impressive.

Now comes the hard part: teams will be ready for him and our suddenly air-based offense that will be without AD. What a drastic shift in philosophy.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I wasn't sure he would play a game like this AT ALL during 2016, let alone his very first game, with only two weeks of practice. I didn't even want him to start last night. Not that I'm a Shaun Hill fan. I was simply afraid that Sam would be too unfamiliar and would make critical mistakes. Instead, he outplayed the great and God-like Erin Rodgers by a mile. And Rodgers was was the one making all the mistakes. Definitely didn't see THAT coming.
I was having the same feelings but maybe we shouldn't have. He ran a version of the air coryell from 2012-2014 with Brian Schottenheimer. I'm sure they're not the same, but it probably helped. I actually think that offense is the one he's spent the most time in as a pro.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Boon wrote: Why in the Sam hill would they do that? I mean, McKinnon is an above average back. Assistance is serviceable and we have CJ Ham on the practice squad? Our RB of the future wears 21, no idea why people always overlook this kid
I don't overlook him. McKinnon is loaded with talent as a runner and receiver. Asiata is no slouch either. The guy runs hard.

If AD is gone for a while, the Vikings should stick with the RBs they have.

The offense's biggest concern should be the OL, which has played abysmal football thus far. They can't run or pass block worth a ####.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

It's like ...

The coaching staff...

Coached...
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

TSonn wrote: Yeah I think Treadwell or Patterson need some of his snaps. Dude just struggles to get separation right now. Maybe he's still not 100%? Actually, now that I think about it... didn't Diggs first see playing time week 3 last year and get in the starting line-up a couple weeks after that? Maybe Treadwell is on that same path, I'd be OK with Treadwell having a similar impact to Diggs! It's still weird that our two WRs taken in the first round rarely see the field while guys drafted in the 5th, 7th, and undrafted are getting the start.
It's not only weird, it's downright ridiculous. The Vikings should be starting Diggs, Thielen and Patterson. Treadwell, Wright and Johnson should get some passes too, especially since the Vikings might be throwing a bit more now that they have Bradford as the QB.

BTW, the conversation about the Vikings needing a #1 WR is over. Diggs is it.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Johnson had two 1st down grabs in the 3rd quarter for around 20 yards right? Not great but two conversions in the 3rd quarter isnt useless
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Anybody have an update on Hunters injury?
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

IrishViking wrote:Johnson had two 1st down grabs in the 3rd quarter for around 20 yards right? Not great but two conversions in the 3rd quarter isnt useless
None of the receivers had a very good game outside of Diggs ... but that's probably because Diggs was a beast so why stop feeding him?
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Cliff wrote: None of the receivers had a very good game outside of Diggs ... but that's probably because Diggs was a beast so why stop feeding him?
Agreed, the targets to Diggs had to come at someone elses expense.

Diggs and Rudy looked like they had good chemistry with Bradford. I hope Johnson and even Patterson get there. It would be cool to see all three of them out there. Dust off some of the Moss-Carter-Reid plays??
germannorseman
Backup

Post by germannorseman »

I really worry though about Bradford and keeping him healthy. Next week against Carolina we could end up,losing him for the season too. Diggs is fantastic, but can we keep Bradford upright enough to get Diggs the ball.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Early In the first half Rudy was targeted 7 times and had 2 catches. He had some good grabs but few passes was in his hands that he dropped.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Awesome win, loved it. Don't have any major differences on what has already been said. OL, UGH...

The bad thing is with AP out the defensive game plans we've been seeing will now dramatically change. Stefon Diggs will likely become a focal point for opposing coordinators to take away. CAR and HOU are coming, two of the top defenses in the league. More tests...
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Packers have TRD

Post by mansquatch »

That was probably the worst game I think AROG has played vs. the Vikings. Not taking anything away from our defense they were awesome. AROG just doesn't look "immortal" like they did in 2011-2014. They really depend on his deep passing game and it just isn't there right now.

GB might turn it around if they can find their offensive potency again, but if they continue to play like they did last night then they are not a Superbowl team.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi