T.J. Clemmings steps into big shoes on Vikings offensive lin

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: T.J. Clemmings steps into big shoes on Vikings offensive

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I personally really really like Clemmings. Granted, he didnt work out at guard but he is a natural tackle IMO. Great feet and athleticism, intelligent, etc. I think he will do a solid job at RT
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I personally really really like Clemmings. Granted, he didnt work out at guard but he is a natural tackle IMO. Great feet and athleticism, intelligent, etc. I think he will do a solid job at RT
Has there been any new info on his injury? I don't remember for sure but I thought there was some talk about a stress fracture in his foot or something.

Just curious if that's been resolved yet, hopefully it's a non-factor
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Has there been any new info on his injury? I don't remember for sure but I thought there was some talk about a stress fracture in his foot or something.

Just curious if that's been resolved yet, hopefully it's a non-factor
From what I understand it's a non-factor. I think I remember something about a minor injury in OTAs but it was reported it was unrelated to the foot.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

It will be interesting to see how the next few games go and teams can game plan him starting at RT...

from last games film we lost nothing at RT .. IMO

He straight up blocked McCoy a few times and stood him up, one of those was a touchdown play
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

dead_poet wrote:
From what I understand it's a non-factor. I think I remember something about a minor injury in OTAs but it was reported it was unrelated to the foot.
Good news hope you are right......thanks!!!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

jackal wrote:
from last games film we lost nothing at RT .. IMO
I just don't understand the logic behind that post. Phil was a solid RT that was having a great camp. To say we lost nothing at RT just makes zero sense
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I just don't understand the logic behind that post. Phil was a solid RT that was having a great camp. To say we lost nothing at RT just makes zero sense
I completely agree. Ignoring the fact that Phil played one healthy snap, that's like saying based on last games film Sandejo and Sherels are no worse than Harrison Smith and Xavier Rhodes. After all, they made some plays and had much better stats.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I just don't understand the logic behind that post. Phil was a solid RT that was having a great camp. To say we lost nothing at RT just makes zero sense
Go in and watch the game film.. He holds up well all game

I don't know if that will be the case when teams Game plan for him or not ?? If he plays as well moving forward
in the regular season; as his ability demonstrated in the last preseason game..we didn't lose much.

Think of it on a 1/100 scale.. I would not rate Loadholt higher than a 75 IMO ..If Clemmings is a 68 this season
we didn't lose much.

To be honest I was never a big Loadholt guy .. he seemed great in run blocking and not so great in pass protection.

IMO our OL has been horrible for a while...
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

jackal wrote: Go in and watch the game film.. He holds up well all game

I don't know if that will be the case when teams Game plan for him or not ?? If he plays as well moving forward
in the regular season; as his ability demonstrated in the last preseason game..we didn't lose much.

Think of it on a 1/100 scale.. I would not rate Loadholt higher than a 75 IMO ..If Clemmings is a 68 this season
we didn't lose much.

To be honest I was never a big Loadholt guy .. he seemed great in run blocking and not so great in pass protection.

IMO our OL has been horrible for a while...
I've actually watched the game twice now and not one person said Clemmings didn't hold up well in there.

To make an assumption that we didn't lose much simply by watching Clemmings in one preseason game, literally says nothing. No different than your claim that Patterson didn't improve in the offseason because he only had 1 catch for 6 yards vs Pitt.

Those two claims alone just make absolutely zero sense and are so far fetched and predetermined it's not even funny.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

DK Sweets wrote:He had shoulder surgery. Possible season-ender.
so much for that idea...
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

There's a nice piece at Vikings.com that talks in-depth about how Clemmings did against Tampa. Remember, he was not going against their backups. He replaced Loadholt on the second play of the game, so he was playing against guys like Gerald McCoy -- no slouch. And as you can see from the video, Tampa didn't just run vanilla defense against the Vikings, yet Clemmings afforded himself well, at least on these highlighted plays. Pay particular attention to the very first play Wobschall highlights ... it's a great job by Clemmings and Harris.

Here's the link to the video.

Obviously, he's a rookie, and he's going to have a lot more thrown at him. He's got a lot to learn, and not much time to learn it. But this film shows that the athleticism is there, the instincts are there, and the intelligence is there. Now it's a matter of honing those skills ... and staying healthy.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Hasan's novel on Clemmings. Not much in the form of analytics here but good (or "good") analysis with film:
I'm worried. I think Clemmings has a lot of exploitable tendencies, ones that will become apparent in the regular season and can cause serious problems for the Vikings and Teddy Bridgewater in particular. I think he's not ready as a run blocker or pass protector.

None of this is to say that Clemmings is not an astounding player. He is, but that isn't the same as saying he's an NFL-ready player. His growth has been nothing short of astounding and he's well ahead of where his development curve should be. He learns quickly and I think it's as clear as it can be this early in a career that the Vikings really did get a steal in the fourth. That's not the same as being ready to play early, but it's a lot closer to it than one would expect.
http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/8/20/ ... -load-holt
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

dead_poet wrote:Hasan's novel on Clemmings. Not much in the form of analytics here but good (or "good") analysis with film:
Pretty interesting stuff.

One good point the author made ... Wobschall tends to overemphasize the positive. Since he's in PR, that's not surprising or even wrong. I'd say both Wobby's film study and Hasan's lengthy article are very interesting.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I've actually watched the game twice now and not one person said Clemmings didn't hold up well in there.

To make an assumption that we didn't lose much simply by watching Clemmings in one preseason game, literally says nothing. No different than your claim that Patterson didn't improve in the offseason because he only had 1 catch for 6 yards vs Pitt.

Those two claims alone just make absolutely zero sense and are so far fetched and predetermined it's not even funny.

Did you actually read the second line in which you quoted me ?

If he can play as well against Tampa ..I don't think we lost a lot. The TD Catch I believe Thielen made; Clemmings stands up
McCoy straight up, one on one. McCoy I believe is a pro bowl guy or has been. I didn't say he was going to be as good, or
better than Loadholt. I just don't think he is going to be a lot less, either. If you don't agree with me that's fine; Unless
you are an expert, I don't think its your place, to judge my opinion.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

dead_poet wrote:Hasan's novel on Clemmings. Not much in the form of analytics here but good (or "good") analysis with film:
Good stuff.