Vikings secondary 2015/2016

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Vikings secondary 2015/2016

Post by dead_poet »

Funkytown wrote:Pump the Brakes on Xavier Rhodes Hype Train, CB Has Work to Do
  Much, much more at the link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2526 ... work-to-do
That was a good read, though it's curious that the author focused only on areas of perceived weakness.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Vikings Sign Free Agent CB Josh Thomas:
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/V ... 98324406c5
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF Jul 21
No CB breaks up passes more often than Xavier Rhodes (1 every 5.9 targets), best rate in the last 8 seasons.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3LoMdIe00E

5-10 183 lbs 4.46 Forty

Fiesty player tends to be too over pursue plays and get beat...

Zimmer might be able to fix that ? will see in a few months
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Demi wrote:
But, but, but, but... he is an average player Demi! Bleacher Report said so!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I would like to see someone opposite Rhodes step up in a huge way this year. As far as we know, these guys are keeping the seat warm for Waynes, but as we saw with Rhodes, CB's aren't just plug-and-play. There's a steep learning curve and it took Xavier a year and a half to get where he is. That's actually rapid improvement in my opinion, but even if you assume the same for Waynes then that means we have a big hole opposite Xavier if last season is any indicator.

I don't look to Terrence Newman to be a rock solid CB, but moreso that anything he can bring that ends up being positive will be a bonus. Same with Captain. I don't really hold out a great deal of optimism with him, but they could really go for him having an outlier year. Just hopefully somebody steps up. Even if it really does end up being Waynes.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

But, but, but, but... he is an average player Demi! Bleacher Report said so!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This is a response in general(not just you, Hardcore) Demi, has been on this site for a long time, and has a right, to his point of
view. I have seen a lot of posts of late, that could be a little less, critical. The point is, there are a lot people here who have
been fans for decades, and just want a championship. Lets keep up the open and intelligent discussion;of the Vikings and
hope for a day, when we hoist the Lombardi.

Back on topic, Exum was the standout in the first day of camp.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

jackal wrote: This is a response in general(not just you, Hardcore) Demi, has been on this site for a long time, and has a right, to his point of
view. I have seen a lot of posts of late, that could be a little less, critical. The point is, there are a lot people here who have
been fans for decades, and just want a championship. Lets keep up the open and intelligent discussion;of the Vikings and

I think Demi and Hardcore were agreeing.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

jackal wrote: This is a response in general(not just you, Hardcore) Demi, has been on this site for a long time, and has a right, to his point of

Dude... I was being facetious.

Demi, in a subtle way, disagreed with the Bleacher Report article that called Xavier Rhodes average. Demi did this by citing a stat that stated Xavier Rhodes was the best at defending passes. I then made an off-hand joke making fun of that one dude on Bleacher Report said Xavier Rhodes was an average corner - while I agreed with Demi.

For what is it is worth, Bleacher Report is utter garbage. I don't understand how people continue to believe that is a credible source for information. It is all opinionated writing, that is highly subjective, and ultimately, not credible.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Blanton? Right?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
You mean the leading tackler last year?
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Dude... I was being facetious.

Demi, in a subtle way, disagreed with the Bleacher Report article that called Xavier Rhodes average. Demi did this by citing a stat that stated Xavier Rhodes was the best at defending passes. I then made an off-hand joke making fun of that one dude on Bleacher Report said Xavier Rhodes was an average corner - while I agreed with Demi.

For what is it is worth, Bleacher Report is utter garbage. I don't understand how people continue to believe that is a credible source for information. It is all opinionated writing, that is highly subjective, and ultimately, not credible.
If I misread it I am sorry, I tried to indicate this wasn't totally in response to what, you wrote. I made some strong critical statements(last season) about Cordelle Paterson and I felt
like an outcast, on this site. My goal was to express, that no one should feel hesitant, to express a concern about the Vikings. I hope that clears up the communication,
about my post.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Terence Newman follows the leader to the Vikings
n his career, Newman has started 172 games. Charles Woodson is the only active defensive back who has started more. And Newman’s 37 career interceptions rank third behind Woodson and DeAngelo Hall.
http://www.startribune.com/follow-the-l ... 320550162/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:For what is it is worth, Bleacher Report is utter garbage. I don't understand how people continue to believe that is a credible source for information. It is all opinionated writing, that is highly subjective, and ultimately, not credible.
Thank you.

I've been beating this drum for a long time now. Never mind that most of Bleacher Report is horribly written. Never mind that most of the so-called reporters are regular guys like any of us (guys who are NOT paid for their work, by the way).

The biggest problem with Bleacher Report is that virtually none of the reporters have access to anyone in the know.

When this dude says Xavier Rhodes "needs work," that's not based on a conversation with the head coach or the DB coach or anyone else. It's based on what he thinks, which is worthless without access to credible inside information. Take a guy like Jim Souhan a the Strib. He's paid to write his opinion. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't. Truthfully, he'd have very little value to the Strib if everybody always agreed with him. But he has a million times more credibility than BR because he can talk to virtually anyone in the Vikings organization. His opinion is based on something. He has ACCESS. BR reporters do not.

I've said it a hundred times if I've said it once: I'm far more interested in what you guys have to say than what BR has to say. There are some really savvy Vikings fans here.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.