Peterson plea deal...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: AP to accept plea?

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Gemfow wrote: Should he take a large paycut because he isn't producing the same? Or should he take the paycut because he will be 30 soon? Do you feel the same about any player who turns 30 if that's the answer? I'm just curious why you and some others feel he should take this large paycut when he has still showcased being the most game-changing RB in the game.

How soon we forget that this guy has faced 8 or 9 in the box for almost his whole career and still has racked up over thousand yards every season except when he blew his knee against the skins. A lot of these backs in the league now can't get those types of yards even when the defense is worried about the pass but we had Ponder.
I can't see him taking a pay cut. If they restructure him, my guess is, they would trade him but who honestly knows at this point
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Peterson plea deal...

Post by The Breeze »

I don't get why he would have to take a pay cut.

I wonder if the prosecutors are doubting their case. Why would they agree to this kind of deal?
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Pat of me still thinks this is surreal. I want to believe that Adrian is still a good person who made a mistake. But, those pictures, man, hard to see. Idk what to think about this recent development. It sucks.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

This will all be really interesting over the next few days. If, at the end of the day, the situation gets classified as a misdemeanor, I think the NFL and Vikings would have a hard time suspending him for any more time than the 8 games he's already missed. Of course, there could be a loophole because he's not technically suspended right now; although, I don't know what else you'd call it since he's been told by the commissioner that he can't play/work currently. With the commish also stating that there will be new personal conduct policies, the NFL is basically anarchy right now in terms of this situation.

In the court of public opinion, though, a misdemeanor would mean that he is guilty of something. I wonder if sponsors would still threaten to pull funding for a misdemeanor as opposed to waiting the whole thing out and getting a 'not guilty'.

I guess my suggestion would be (if the plea gets classified as a misdemeanor) to fine AD for the amount of games he's missed but not make him miss any more time since he's already been "suspended" for 8 games, which would be a very long suspension for any other first time misdemeanor charges.

I do have a bit of a bias in this situation, though, because I would love to see AD and Teddy play together.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

TSonn wrote:This will all be really interesting over the next few days. If, at the end of the day, the situation gets classified as a misdemeanor, I think the NFL and Vikings would have a hard time suspending him for any more time than the 8 games he's already missed. Of course, there could be a loophole because he's not technically suspended right now; although, I don't know what else you'd call it since he's been told by the commissioner that he can't play/work currently. With the commish also stating that there will be new personal conduct policies, the NFL is basically anarchy right now in terms of this situation.

In the court of public opinion, though, a misdemeanor would mean that he is guilty of something. I wonder if sponsors would still threaten to pull funding for a misdemeanor as opposed to waiting the whole thing out and getting a 'not guilty'.

I guess my suggestion would be (if the plea gets classified as a misdemeanor) to fine AD for the amount of games he's missed but not make him miss any more time since he's already been "suspended" for 8 games, which would be a very long suspension for any other first time misdemeanor charges.

I do have a bit of a bias in this situation, though, because I would love to see AD and Teddy play together.
Like you said, he isn't technically suspended right now and he is still getting paid. I would think the NFL would still suspend him without pay, and if they are serious about their domestic violence policy, it would be 6 games for first time offenders.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Purple Reign wrote: Like you said, he isn't technically suspended right now and he is still getting paid. I would think the NFL would still suspend him without pay, and if they are serious about their domestic violence policy, it would be 6 games for first time offenders.
I agree that that could be the outcome but I would definitely disagree with that decision if it were the outcome. If being on the commissioner's exempt/permission list which states that a player must "remain away from all team activities" is not a suspension, I don't know what is. That's definitely something the league needs to figure out with the personal conduct task force before next season. Right now the exempt list is something in between a suspension and a violation of due process. It would make sense that the exempt list could act as a "time served" type scenario in the future.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

NDVikeFan wrote:Even if he pleas I am sure Goodell suspends him. It's not like he was punished yet, well unless you count sitting at home and cashing millions of dollars in checks punishment.

Either way the only way I want him back is if he takes a HUGE payout next year. If not move on.
He could easily make a deal to donate those game checks to a cause related to his situation, It has happened before with players who were in trouble.

I was a little confused by the decision to put this in the hands of the league. It would have been better for the Vikings to just suspend him until it was resolved. Being out for eight weeks, and being suspended after that feels like being penalized twice. It isn't like he has had issue after issue. I sort of want to see him and Teddy play together for the development of this team. Even though I am uncertain of Adrians future with this team beyond 2014.
Last edited by PurpleHalo on Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
This space available for rent.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

The Breeze wrote:I don't get why he would have to take a pay cut.

I wonder if the prosecutors are doubting their case. Why would they agree to this kind of deal?
I suspect that is the case, but I have long believed they would not be able to get a conviction in this case.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Gemfow
Rookie

Post by Gemfow »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I can't see him taking a pay cut. If they restructure him, my guess is, they would trade him but who honestly knows at this point
I can see restructuring the deal for longer years and the Vikings receiving salary cap relief. I just find it interesting that people say he should take this massive paycut when this guy puts in the work to be the best and has proven he is the best RB out there even with no passing game for almost his whole career here. In the NFL where it's become a passing league, he's shown he is as dangerous as a 10 to 15 yard pass because if you don't crowd up on him at the line he's going for at least 10 to 15.

I like Jerrick McKinnon but I'm sure most Vikings fans have made the comparison that if it was Adrian on some of those runs he would have turned that McKinnon five yard run into an 8 yard run or maybe twice the amount. The guy is special. It's like everyone being excited about Troy Williamson after the Randy Moss trade, you don't replace receivers like Randy Moss, that trade set the franchise back for some years due to Williamson.
Gemfow
Rookie

Post by Gemfow »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Pat of me still thinks this is surreal. I want to believe that Adrian is still a good person who made a mistake. But, those pictures, man, hard to see. Idk what to think about this recent development. It sucks.
I'm not defending Peterson. I feel he went overboard when disciplining his young toddler and I don't understand the whole leaves in the mouth thing either.

I tell people that race and region are things that can't be discounted in so etching like that. My mom was from LA and my dad was from Texas. Me and my brother's received our fair share of beatings. On my mom's side we got it mostly with belts. On my dad's side of the family we had to go outside and pick a switch, talk about a mental and physical beating, lol

Using switches goes back to slavery and it's a learned behavior and it's why it's still out there as a form of discipline. Racism is still out there and it's also a learned behavior passed down to generations, however some families say its wrong and thankfully go in an opposite direction. I never had to discipline my son with a switch since it would have broke my heart to whip him like that, I couldn't even do it with a belt but that's because I'm a softie, lol. Some people believe in that form of discipline. I have no issue with the form of discipline like some people do. Some people want to call him a child abuser due to the form of discipline he used which I don't agree with. What I saw on pictures is a different matter. That does fit the definition of abuse because of the bodily damage that happened but it's hard to really judge this man and say he's some terrible person when you nor I or anyone else knows of the learned behavior. The one thing that keeps coming out is he didn't feel he did any wrong, he didn't seem to try and hide it in any way. Of course the media tried to dig into his past to see if there were other instances of whipping the kids and police reports. They didn't find mucho anything at all I'm guessing.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Edit* Probably a good idea to save this discussion for another time and place.
Last edited by fiestavike on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Probably better that we don't open the whole debate about what Adrian did, that has been covered. It seems to lead to heated debate for whatever side. People get second chances in life and the NFL, and it isn't like Adrian has been a menace to society his whole career here. He absolutely went overboard, and he is coming to a resolution in this case. If he's able to return this year fine, if not well that's out of our control. I'm sure he has had a lot of time to reflect, and hopefully regrets what he did and after all he's human like all of us. We learn through time, that none of us are perfect we have all done things to whatever degree that we regret.
This space available for rent.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

If he winds up on the field soon what a boon for the offense. Not only is he completely fresh and chomping at the bit... but his rookie backup now has considerable experience in the system.
Plus Rudolph is set to return.

Guilt or innocence and punishment aside, I certainly would like to see this team at full strength.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleHalo wrote:Probably better that we don't open the whole debate about what Adrian did, that has been covered. It seems to lead to heated debate for whatever side. People get second chances in life and the NFL, and it isn't like Adrian has been a menace to society his whole career here. He absolutely went overboard, and he is coming to a resolution in this case. If he's able to return this year fine, if not well that's out of our control. I'm sure he has had a lot of time to reflect, and hopefully regrets what he did and after all he's human like all of us. We learn through time, that none of us are perfect we have all done things to whatever degree that we regret.
Well said!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleHalo wrote:Probably better that we don't open the whole debate about what Adrian did, that has been covered. It seems to lead to heated debate for whatever side. People get second chances in life and the NFL, and it isn't like Adrian has been a menace to society his whole career here. He absolutely went overboard, and he is coming to a resolution in this case. If he's able to return this year fine, if not well that's out of our control. I'm sure he has had a lot of time to reflect, and hopefully regrets what he did and after all he's human like all of us. We learn through time, that none of us are perfect we have all done things to whatever degree that we regret.
Agree with Jim. Well said.

My hope for him as a person is that he doesn't see a plea to a lesser charge as vindication for his actions. I hope he's learned that punishment to the degree he administered it isn't appropriate. No matter what any of us think of the method, I think most of us can agree that he went too far with this child.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.