question about teddy

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

TSonn
Career Elite Player

Re: question about teddy

Post by TSonn »

fiestavike wrote:As far as decsion making being slow I agree, especially this week.
The FOX broadcast showed how covered the WRs most of the time. I don't think Teddy is making slow decisions - I think the WRs aren't giving him many quick options yet.
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

I would say, yes the wrs have been covered a lot of the time, but I can remember two times today (that I saw) there was a man wide open. He also misfired on some of his completions which led to minimal YAC. He just wasn't very accurate today. Maybe he needs more plays designed to get him out of the pocket, or QB draws or ANYTHING to give him breathing room.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Never underestimate the necessity of developing a solid relationship between OL and QB. The revolving door of injuries, coupled with sub-par play has created a toxic brew of failure. Something is seriously up with Kalil and, again, there seems to be very little progress. How much is on Kalil, how much is on inconsistent play all along the OL, and how much is coaching is arguable.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

His #1 receiver, Patterson, runs some of the worst routes I've seen from a guy who consistently lines up on the outside. He rarely get open, and he doesn't typically catch the ball very cleanly. Especially troubling is the fact that he's not a very smart kid. I know that everyone is smart in their own way and that he's a good guy and everything, but he scored almost historically low on his Wonderlic test which is going to be a problem in how he absorbs knowledge.

Can he learn how to catch a football with his hands only? Can he learn how to break off of his routes properly? He's going to have to, because eventually your tendencies are going to show up on tape.
raddmann
Backup

Post by raddmann »

One more performance like this and the fans will be screaming for Ponder. Even when he has a bad day you like to see a young guy show a flash of brilliance but I saw none the last two games. I think he's regressing fast and was thrown into the fire way too early. I also thought norv didn't do him any favors today with play calling. Easier to look good with Aikmen or Rivers as your Qb. As for Patterson , great runner - poor receiver but he was far from a polished player when they drafted him. He also made a terrible decision on the opening kickoff by running it out and getting tackled at our 7 yard line.putting us in an instant hole. This team has zero margin for error offensively.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

one interesting statistic though is that last week and this week teddy still completed right around 60 percent of his passes. i don't know what to make of that number when it is thrown in with 5 interceptions in 2 weeks. as noted, i didn't get to see the game today, but last week i don't think superman could have played behind that line being that he was sacked 8 times.
FatSketty
Waterboy

Post by FatSketty »

Look at the interceptions individually. One was batted up by a poor catch attempt. Two were deflected at the line (so potentially OL not working to keep arms down or TB needs to work into his lanes better). One into the redzone last week, Zim has stated TB read the safety following a player away from his target - simply got that wrong. Haven't seen the other today.

Numbers don't mean a lot in an honest evaluation - especially when you're talking about rookies in their first few games.

Five sacks today? A lot comes back to that OL.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Teddy wasn't very good. But he could be the least of our problems. We just don't have a lot of talent. And our Oline hasn't been good in ages, but now, it has to be close to the worst in the NFL. Half the time Teddy has to throw the short pass, because he only has a second to work with. Put Teddy behind the Broncos line and we wouldn't even be discussing this.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

just read this it seemed a bit more optimistic and put into perspective how bad of a start it was. http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... erceptions
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

mosscarter wrote:just read this it seemed a bit more optimistic and put into perspective how bad of a start it was. http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... erceptions
That take gives me a little more confidence in the two things that I think really work in Bridgewater's favor: learning from mistakes and resilience. He appears to have the tools, and if he continues on an upward trajectory with these two intangibles, I think he has a bright future.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

mosscarter wrote:just read this it seemed a bit more optimistic and put into perspective how bad of a start it was. http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... erceptions
It's a good article and accurately analyzes Bridgewater's performance. I saw some positives in Bridgewater after a bumpy beginning.

That said, I agree with those who are frustrated by the OL. This unit came into the season grossly overrated.
socalvikes
Rookie

Post by socalvikes »

Teddy was terrible.

Honestly, you cannot blame the O-Line all day like they do on KFan etc.

He is NOT good "yet"...
Odlid
Backup

Post by Odlid »

He sucked, he sucks, and he will continue to suck...another wasted draft-pick.

My wife and I took my 13 year old son to the game. We are a house divided; my wife is a Bills fan. We bought the tickets during the pre-season for my son's birthday or I wouldn't have bothered going. Now that it is over, I can end the season.

The Vikes found yet another way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The Bills fans started chanting, "Make him pass..." during portions of the game. The run blocking and running game looked ok. Bridgewater's down-field passing attempts were horrible and I thought he was actually getting some decent protection against a good defensive line. He looks unsettled and nervous in the pocket. His passes looked lazy, with no snap and seemed to always be too low or behind the receiver.

If Bridgewater is the future, the future will continue to be bleak. Our other options; Castle or Ponder? :cry:

Our best player is Blair Walsh!!!

Nothing changes with this franchise without a major over-haul of the front office and different ownership... :steamed:
Last edited by Odlid on Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
"A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback; and not necessarily in that order." - Bud Grant
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Odlid wrote:He sucked, he sucks, and he will continue to suck...another wasted draft-pick.

My wife and I took my 13 year old son to the game. We are a house divided; my wife is a Bills fan. We bought the tickets during the pre-season for my son's birthday or I wouldn't have bothered going. Now that it is over, I can end the season.

The Vikes found yet another way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The Bills fans started chanting, "Make him pass..." during portions of the game. The run blocking and running game looked ok. Bridgewater's down-field passing attempts were horrible and I thought he was actually getting some decent protection against a good defensive line. He looks unsettled and nervous in the pocket. His passes looked lazy, with no snap and seemed to always be too low or behind the receiver.

If Bridgewater is the future, the future will continue to be bleak. Our other options; Castle or Ponder :cry:
Suck/lose for Marcus Mariota :thumbsup: Just kidding but it might happen.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
MichViking
Transition Player

Post by MichViking »

Lets just take a minute to look at Blake Bortles stat line from todays game.

17-31 54.8 159 yds 1 td 3 int

It happens people.
RIP Sean Taylor