When will we see AP back in a Vikings uniform?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

When do you think we'll see AP back in purple?

Within the next 6 weeks
6%
Towards the back end of the season
15%
Next season
11%
Never
68%

Total votes: 53

Laserman
Hall of Famer

Re: When will we see AP back in a Vikings uniform?

Post by Laserman »

Under Zimmer the team is changing. AD won't be a part of that. Doubt he would have been back next year anyway. The whole Offensive line was built for AD to run, now they can't pass protect very well cause they were not designed to. A lot of things are gonna change. My Guess is we'll go offensive Line next draft and get rid of these huge run blockers and AD is done as a viking
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Here's what I don't understand. Why are the Vikings still paying him if they're eventually going to release him? They could have suspended him and saved a million dollars a week.

I'd appreciate y'all's responses on this. I'm stumped.
Per the collective bargaining agreement, they are not allowed to do so - only the league can do so. My understanding, anyways.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

frosted21 wrote: Per the collective bargaining agreement, they are not allowed to do so - only the league can do so. My understanding, anyways.
A team can only suspend a player without pay for 4 games. Then they have to bring him back or cut him. Besides, because he was on the team on day one, he gets paid if the cut him or don't.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Mothman wrote: You make some interesting points but Goodell is in the process of revisiting the league's personal conduct policy and he said 'nothing is off the table" so while the current max suspension for first time offenders in domestic violence-related cases is 6 games, by the time Peterson faces punishment from the league, it could be more or it could be something determined purely on a case-by-case basis. When asked about Peterson during hiuis press conference the other day. Goodell said "What we see so far is tragic." and stressed that he wanted the facts to fully come out in the case.

Peterson's case is unique so I could see leniency or extremely harsh punishment being applied. It's hard to say. Depending on how his case turns out, how repentant he is in the coming weeks and months, and what steps he takes to make up for what he did, it could go either way. I think, as in the case of Vick, there are people who will never forgive him. I also think there are a lot of people who may see him as more of a tragic, misguided figure in all of this and who would be more willing to forgive him. In the end, it's possible the Vikings may not want to touch him with the proverbial ten foot pole. This may be stating the obvious but I believe where this ends up really depends a great deal on what takes place from here.

If the Vikings did want him back, and wanted to reduce his cap hit, they would certainly be in a good position to convince him to renegotiate his contract.

Oh, and if Peterson does become eligible to play before the end of this season, you're right, the Vikings will face a VERY interesting choice, especially if they're in position to make a playoff push.
This is were it's going to get interesting with Peterson. The incident happened in May under the old PCP. The indictment came down after the new and improved version PCP came down. And if the NFL works fast enough, the even newer and more improved version could be done before the Peterson case is settled. So, which one would he fall under? And remember, you have to take Goodells comments into account on certain things.

And as to the Goodell to see the facts come out of Petersons case. Well, since it involves a minor, chances are, whatever happens in the courtroom, will stay in the court room. A lot of what has already been put out there was from an illegal leak of grand jury testimony. Now if the NFL want's to use it I suppose they could. But I think that might be a bridge the NFL may not want to cross. Mainly because there is no way they can verify the information. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Last edited by Raptorman on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Here's what I don't understand. Why are the Vikings still paying him if they're eventually going to release him? They could have suspended him and saved a million dollars a week.

I'd appreciate y'all's responses on this. I'm stumped.
I was a bit stumped on this as well, but that centered around the exempt list they put him on. The suspension as you stated would have saved money, and they would have more control over the situation as only Roger Goodell has the say when he gets off this list. The NFL would have let the Vikings suspension count towards any the NFL levied. So now, does being on this list qualify as suspension served? I'm guessing no since he is still collecting his salary, unless he agrees to donate the salary for those games to a charity relevant to his current situation.
This space available for rent.
Spawn
Rookie

Post by Spawn »

I hope he comes back. Don't give up on a guy who brought this franchise to the forefront through the years.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: In the current political climate surrounding the NFL (ie: with teams, corporations, sponsors, and the league itself all scrambling to do "what's right" and seemingly basing their idea of "what's right" almost exclusively on which way they feel public opinion is leaning)
That's the truth and a big part of what makes sorting this out so difficult.

In my opinion Peterson will take a plea for a minor charge in order to get the legal issue resolved so he can get back to football but will then be suspended for the remainder of the year because of the current climate. If he has a jury trial I don't think he'll be convicted, but the trial will drag on and he will miss the whole year anyhow.

If the case is somehow dismissed outright, it would be fascinating to see how the league and the team react. In my opinion if the team were dallas, houston, atlanta, new orleans, tennessee, etc, he would play as soon as reinstated, but I don't think the vikings will ever play him again. Unfortunately the earliest the case could possibly be resolved is after the trade deadline so we wouldn't be able to move him and move on if that were the situation.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pepper2Moss
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Pepper2Moss »

Man, I know us Vikings fans are a bit of a pessimistic bunch all things considered with our history, but seeing more than 60% of votes so far thinking AP never plays for the Vikes again has me pretty down. I know what he did is unacceptable by society norms these days, and I do think he gets some form of punishment for this, I guess I'm just not ready to give up hope that the player I've been pulling for these past 8 years won't be back for us.

Kinda strange, I've seen two Vikings games in person now. The latest being our thrashing of StL week 1. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I was seeing AP in purple for the last time.
Leafman
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Leafman »

He will never play for the Vikings again.

1) He is entering the twilight of the typical RB career.
2) Catching passes and blocking on blitzes have never been his strengths. Norv's system requires both.
2) New coaching staff, new system = new direction.
3) He is expensive.
4) He is a Public Relations liability.

He was the best player to ever don the Purple and Gold, watching him run was one of the greatest pleasures of my life as a sports fan.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

I voted never.

I just think that there are too many things working against it at this point. If he never plays for the Vikings again, I honestly don't know how I'll feel about it.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Thaumaturgist wrote:If he never plays for the Vikings again, I honestly don't know how I'll feel about it.
I would be OK with him playing for the Vikings again ... if he were actually contrite, admitted what he did was wrong, paid his appropriate penalty, and promised to change. I'm always willing to forgive, and it's much easier if the offender actually asks for forgiveness.

At this point, he doesn't seem to even understand that he did something wrong. But I can always hope.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Leafman wrote:He will never play for the Vikings again.

1) He is entering the twilight of the typical RB career.
2) Catching passes and blocking on blitzes have never been his strengths. Norv's system requires both.
2) New coaching staff, new system = new direction.
3) He is expensive.
4) He is a Public Relations liability.

He was the best player to ever don the Purple and Gold, watching him run was one of the greatest pleasures of my life as a sports fan.
Honestly, depending on his willingness to renegotiate his contract (and that was going to come up anyway), I think the only two of those reasons likely to be very relevant are #3 and #4, and even #3 wouldn't be relevant if we're talking about some point later this season, since they're paying him now. Catching passes and blocking have never been Peterson's strengths but they have been greatly overblown as weaknesses. The coaching staff seemed quite satisfied with his progress this summer in taking on the role they would be asking of him.

If the Vikes decide the PR hit is worth it, I think Peterson's willingness to modify his contract and accept less money might be the only major roadblock. However, I seriously doubt the Vikes will be willing to take that PR hit.
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

I will always love Adrian Peterson.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Orion wrote:I will always love Adrian Peterson.
Amen.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Orion wrote:I will always love Adrian Peterson.
I've always been disappointed with him off the field-fathering 3/4 of a dozen children by who knows how many women isn't my idea of a role model-but I've been able to separate that from him on the field, where I enjoy watching him play. By and large the people where I live consider what he did to his son normal, but I am a transplant, so I just have a different and kind of "middle perspective" on the whole abuse/discipline thing. I could accept him back in purple, just like I accept my neighbors and my community, but I don't think people in Minnesota perceive it the same way as people down here. Not a knock on anybody, just kind of interesting from where I sit. I think he ultimately winds up on a team in tx, ga, tn, fl, or la.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins