2014-2015 Master Injury Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2014-2015 Master Injury Thread

Post by The Breeze »

my back is somewhat sore after helping some friends tear the old shingles off their roof.....but I shouldn't miss any time. :thumbsup:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: I'm guessing it went something like this:

http://movieclips.com/oQBjK-the-naked-g ... -bad-luck/
It was absolutely epic when he faceplanted into the wedding cake!!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Funkytown wrote:Vikings DT Linval Joseph is sitting out mandatory minicamp as he recovers from right-shoulder surgery.

Joseph underwent the operation prior to signing a five-year, $31.5 million deal in March. The team had previously said he was sitting out after undergoing a "procedure." The fact that the Vikes were willing to make such a large financial commitment to Joseph is an obvious sign they aren't concerned. Joseph should be ready for the beginning of camp.

Source: Master Tesfatsion on Twitter
Vikings NT Linval Joseph (shoulder) is expected to be ready for training camp.

Joseph underwent shoulder surgery in March and was held out of minicamp for precautionary reasons. He remains on track to be cleared for the start of camp. Joseph will start at nose tackle in Mike Zimmer's 4-3, with Sharrif Floyd getting the majority of snaps at the three-technique spot.

ESPN.com
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Funkytown wrote:Vikings LT Matt Kalil said he battled through a right knee injury that affected his play last season.

"It was some problems with my knee swelling up, becoming inflamed," Kalil said. "And that affected the way I move and stuff like that." It helps to explain the precipitous dropoff in play from Kalil's Pro-Bowl, rookie season. Kalil had the knee scoped this offseason and expects to be 100% by training camp.
--ESPN 1500 Twin Cities

Good. Vey good. :thumbsup:
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - Vikings DT Linval Joseph struck in calf by stray bullet at nightclub; treated and released from hospital
--
...seriously. This team's luck.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

WTF??? Damned Raiders' fans...
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

SERIOUSLY?!? What the hell!
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

808vikingsfan wrote:Glad he seems to be OK. Could have been a lot worse.
Definitely. He really dodged a bullet there. Oh, wait... :P
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Vikings SS Mistral Raymond suffered a concussion in Friday's preseason opener.

Raymond will need to pass through the league's concussion protocol before returning to practice. A 2011 sixth-round pick, Raymond is competing for the strong safety job opposite Harrison Smith.

Source: ESPN.com
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Funkytown wrote:Vikings SS Mistral Raymond suffered a concussion in Friday's preseason opener.

Raymond will need to pass through the league's concussion protocol before returning to practice. A 2011 sixth-round pick, Raymond is competing for the strong safety job opposite Harrison Smith.

Source: ESPN.com
When is the NFL, and owners going to spend the extra money they get, and make a better helmet. Millions of dollars, a fraction of what they make, should be able to make a concussion free helmet for the people they are making all the money off.
9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: When is the NFL, and owners going to spend the extra money they get, and make a better helmet. Millions of dollars, a fraction of what they make, should be able to make a concussion free helmet for the people they are making all the money off.
I think it was last year Wes Welker wore a helmet much bigger than normal. This was to protect his noodle from another concussion. I think the equipment is out there but the players may not want to wear it?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

9man wrote: I think it was last year Wes Welker wore a helmet much bigger than normal. This was to protect his noodle from another concussion. I think the equipment is out there but the players may not want to wear it?
Not sure if it's A) out there yet or B) cost-effective? I know the NFL is looking.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... l/2768237/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: When is the NFL, and owners going to spend the extra money they get, and make a better helmet. Millions of dollars, a fraction of what they make, should be able to make a concussion free helmet for the people they are making all the money off.
That's not the whole issue, concussions caused by the brain jarring against the inside of the skull happen no matter how much protection is outside the players head. A large portion of concussions occur due to this 'whipping' action. No helmets are concussion proof, and there will never be a concussion proof helmet, this isn't a case of the NFL not putting the needed funds into it, it's simply a non existent technology.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I read an article a few years ago that said leather helmets actually produced fewer concussions because players were more cautious with their heads. Take that however you want.
9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

DKSweets wrote:I read an article a few years ago that said leather helmets actually produced fewer concussions because players were more cautious with their heads. Take that however you want.
I have also read/heard this same statement. This may not stop the concussions that occur when a ball carrier is diving or simply laying on the ground and they are hit in the head with a knee or other errant appendage.