Trading up to 2 for Bortles

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Trading up to 2 for Bortles

Post by Mothman »

AllDay wrote:So you would rather just wait and see who falls to 8?
Yes.

My take on the top 5 or 6 (maybe even more) QBs in this draft is that they all have similar potential to succeed or fail at the next level. The reasons for that vary but I think determining which one would be worth the 8th pick will depend a great deal on what the Vikings want to do on offense and how they feel a particular QB will fit into their plans. Unless the Vikes feel Bortles fits their plans much better than any of the other QBs, I don't think it makes sense to trade up for him. It's possible they will even feel they can skip over a QB at #8, thinking they can get the QB they want later.

My take on Bortles is that, despite how many rank him as the top QB in this draft, he hasn't really separated himself from the crowd. I think his size and mobility are giving him the edge in the rankings and while those are valuable attributes, I'm not sure they really make him the best of the bunch. As far as I can tell, that mobility is pretty much the only thing separating him from a player like Mettenberger, who could be available a round later.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

AllDay wrote:Maybe I am just a bigger Bortles fan than most.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/20 ... y-manziel/

Read between the lines, he hates Manziel.
We have already discussed this over and over in another thread (Is this a smoke screen by Zimmer). You might want to take the time to read those posts.
I guess that I am not as smart as you. I read the article and still can't glean that he HATES him. He questioned some things about him, got that but not any hating. In fact, I would bet that if given the chance, the Vikes will draft him. Time will tell (it always does) but I for one would not move up to the 2nd pick to draft Bortles and I really like Bortles but I like JFB and his ceiling a whole lot more.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
AllDay
Rookie

Post by AllDay »

From what I have seen smoke screens are usually positive things said about players teams dislike, but I guess that could be the case.
AllDay
Rookie

Post by AllDay »

Mothman wrote: Yes.

My take on the top 5 or 6 (maybe even more) QBs in this draft is that they all have similar potential to succeed or fail at the next level. The reasons for that vary but I think determining which one would be worth the 8th pick will depend a great deal on what the Vikings want to do on offense and how they feel a particular QB will fit into their plans. Unless the Vikes feel Bortles fits their plans much better than any of the other QBs, I don't think it makes sense to trade up for him. It's possible they will even feel they can skip over a QB at #8, thinking they can get the QB they want later.

My take on Bortles is that, despite how many rank him as the top QB in this draft, he hasn't really separated himself from the crowd. I think his size and mobility are giving him the edge in the rankings and while those are valuable attributes, I'm not sure they really make him the best of the bunch. As far as I can tell, that mobility is pretty much the only thing separating him from a player like Mettenberger, who could be available a round later.
Interesting. The idea of a Barr type player/Mettenberger is interesting although I am not a huge Barr fan.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

LOL! Trade half our draft for BLAKE BORTLES hahahahahahahhaahhahahaahah. Not quite on the Herschel Walker level but just as funny! Thanks for the laugh!
AllDay
Rookie

Post by AllDay »

Surprised at the negative reception this deal would get. If the front office finds their guy in the draft I think any price is okay. We cannot win without a QB.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Mothman wrote: I don't know where he gets the idea that the Vikings want Bortles badly enough to make that trade but I think it would be a foolish move. The cost is way too high for a player with Bortles' resumé. If I read that proposed trade correctly, the Vikings would be giving up their first three picks in this year's draft and a second round pick in 2015. That's too much for a QB who is far from a slam dunk to succeed in the NFL and not even clearly the best QB in this draft. Is Bortles really so much better as a prospect that he'd be worth an extra 3 draft high picks to acquire?

Agreed, foolish because it ain't happening.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

AllDay wrote:Surprised at the negative reception this deal would get. If the front office finds their guy in the draft I think any price is okay. We cannot win without a QB.
It's getting that reception because of the price. I know what you're saying and if Bortles' college career and future potential looked more like Andrew Luck's did going into the draft a few years ago, people might be reacting differently. However, as I said above, his resumé just doesn't justify such a high price in trade. There are no sure things in the draft but some players are much closer to deserving that designation than others. Bortles is far from a sure thing and as desperately as the Vikes need a franchise QB, they also need enough help in other areas that they can ill afford to spend a first, two seconds and a third on a QB who might not be any better than a guy they can get with just one of those picks.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I saw this earlier today before I visited the board. Walt is really going downhill nowadays. I used to love his site, but now I only visit his site to see his mock draft and to make my mock drafts because of convenience.

Blake Bortles has the biggest bust potential out of anyone in the draft. Bortles is a good quarterback, but he is not worthy of the hype he is receiving. For his size, he should have a cannon arm, but he doesn't. His mechanics need work and he needs to be sharper on his progressions.

Trading all of those picks to draft Blake Bortles would be the dumbest thing this team could do. It would be dumber than drafting Zach Mettenberger eight overall.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
AllDay
Rookie

Post by AllDay »

I would be shocked if Clowney was available at 2, and if he was I doubt the Vikes would outbid the Falcons or other teams with pass rush needs. Especially since we just re-signed Everson Griffen for so much.

I am not as bullish on Bortles as you guys. I think Manziel is the best QB in the class, but if we pass on him I do like Bortles. Maybe trading up isn't the best idea, but I wouldn't be as pissed as some of you.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Yet another dumb offseason post. Bortles at #2? Really? Unbelievable.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
MatteoSpace
Practice Squad

Post by MatteoSpace »

AllDay wrote:If the front office finds their guy in the draft I think any price is okay.
I think the opposite
Look the Redskins with RGIII, are not a contender and lose many round pick for build a team.

With two second round and third round can take players as Kyle Rudolph, Gronkowski, Ward, McCoy, Byrd, Wilson, Kapernick (Patterson or Smith with trade up)

4 possibility vs only 1?
Bortles/Manziel/Bridgewater doesn't guarantee anything
AllDay wrote:We cannot win without a QB.
Sure? Watch the Lions, Redskins, 49ers(with Smith), Bengals(with Palmer), Rams, Falcons...

The rebuild is not start from QB :nono:

1) OL/DL
2) Defense
3) Offense Weapon
4) Special Team
and only after
5) QB, but can take after first round
Sorry for my english, i'm trying to learn it
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

MatteoSpace wrote:The rebuild is not start from QB :nono:

1) OL/DL
2) Defense
3) Offense Weapon
4) Special Team
and only after
5) QB, but can take after first round
That is one way to do it but I don't think the order in which a team builds matters that much. In the end, it's really just about getting all of the various "pieces" of a team to come together at the right time and be successful.

By the way, welcome to the board! You don't need to apologize for your english in your signature. You're doing fine.
Loki
Veteran

Post by Loki »

HELL NO!!! I'd even have a hard time taking him at 8. I don't understand peoples infatuation with him. Scouts admit that he's not ready to start right away and still needs work to get better, that sounds like a second round pick to me. And why assume he's a lock to develop and get better but then say Manziel can't develop into a pocket passer? just dumb. Also the price would be absurd to trade up and get him even if its not as much as the RG3 trade it'd still be at least a 1st and 2nd round which we can't afford to give up for a player who will sit the bench most of next year.
ON TO VALHALLA
AP_AD28
Rookie

Post by AP_AD28 »

HELL NO!!! I'd even have a hard time taking him at 8
Id be ok with taking him at 8 (not thrilled), but I certainly wouldnt spend even 1 Christian Ponder trading up for him. The only players I would even consider trading up for would be Mack or Clowney, and even then I probably would vote against it especially if it were at the 2 spot. Spending more than what you get in return is bad business.