Assistant Coaches:

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Demi
Commissioner

Re: Assistant Coaches:

Post by Demi »

PurpleScout wrote:I vote to keep Stewart and Saxon. Our WRs and RBs are fine. They both coach great. :thumbsup:
I'd feel better if they did something with guys who weren't heismann runner ups at #1 and #2 HB, a couple veteran free agents, and a 1st round WR. I guess Wright? Kind of? But otherwise? Not like they're miracle workers here. Hell after this many years he should be fired for not doing a better job of improving AD's blocking and receiving skills....and how many years were we desperately in need a WR talent and couldn't develop anyone to save our lives. Sorry not impressed... :confused:
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

King James wrote:I was hoping we'd keep Priefer because he is a good coach but now atleast we don't have to worry about the Kluwe situation anymore.

I never heard of Bobby April before but I assume he is good. I like this clean sweep we are doing. This is exactly what the purple doctor ordered!! A fresh new staff!
If I am not mistaken he was the Falcons ST coach for a few years.
I wiki'ed April and indeed he was with the Falcons. And the Steelers, Rams, Bills, Raiders, and some more teams in the same capacity as the Vikings seek him for.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Goessling on why assistants haven't been named yet:
Mike Zimmer didn't announce any coaching hires on Friday, saying the Vikings would wait to announce their entire staff at a later date. But if I had to guess, I'd say there's a good chance they keep special teams coordinator Mike Priefer -- if he emerges unscathed from an investigation into former punter Chris Kluwe's allegations that Priefer made homophobic remarks. Priefer is well-respected as a special teams coordinator, and I think he might click with Zimmer; both are coaches' sons with feisty gameday personalities. I also think that could be part of the reason the Vikings are dragging their feet on announcing a coaching staff, so they can let the investigation play out and determine whether they'll keep Priefer. To answer the first part of your question, I think Norv Turner will end up being the offensive coordinator; Adam Schefter reported earlier this week a deal was close.
from today's column.
PurpleScout
Backup

Post by PurpleScout »

I read somewhere last night on one of the many NFL blogs I read through that they are waiting so they can announce them all together and also that there are a couple Asst Position coaches on the Patriots that Zimmer wants to interview for head positions. They would be allowed to leave since a head position is not a lateral move. I have not checked the Patriot coaching roster to see who that is though.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

There's a pretty good Reusse column on the Strib site about the importance of who Zimmer hires as his assistant coaches:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 54211.html
PurpleScout
Backup

Post by PurpleScout »

mularkey goes to titans to coach qbs. i am ok with this. we wanted him for tes coach.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Hey don't we need some kind of a poll here, we have one for everything else :wink:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Webbfann wrote:Looks like there's an opening for Head Spellchecker too.
:rofl: I nominate the grammar ####.
Eli wrote:I have no love for hiring former Vikings just for the sake of hiring former Vikings. Like the Jack Del Rio talk. Who gives a damn whether they played here? Just hire some good coaches.
Yeah it's one thing if they grew up in Minnesota ... nah, not even then. Yeah I never understood this line of thinking.
Purple bruise wrote:Hey don't we need some kind of a poll here, we have one for everything else :wink:
I might be the #1 cynic when it comes to the Vikings, but you're the #1 cynic when it comes to other members of VMB.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Reignman wrote: :rofl: I nominate the grammar ####.
Yeah it's one thing if they grew up in Minnesota ... nah, not even then. Yeah I never understood this line of thinking.
I might be the #1 cynic when it comes to the Vikings, but you're the #1 cynic when it comes to other members of VMB.
Mostly just the cynical ones. But thanks for owning up to your well deserved ranking :rofl:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Reignman wrote: :rofl: I nominate the grammar ####.
Ummm, why is "n a z i" censored around here? Damn grammar n a z i's!
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

You know, it's the extremism on both sides that makes me question this board. We're never going to agree on everything, but the wholesale dismissing of a point just based on who presents it is really annoying.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
PurpleScout
Backup

Post by PurpleScout »

I would say this article makes it a done deal of Adam Zimmer to the Vikes.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 58511.html
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

BGM wrote:You know, it's the extremism on both sides that makes me question this board. We're never going to agree on everything, but the wholesale dismissing of a point just based on who presents it is really annoying.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk
The worst of it is that some of the posters that like to get into incendiary back and forth, petty fights actually contribute substance to the discussion; it's just contained deep within layers of sarcasm, snark, and attitude. In the end, you don't want to foe them because there's content there, but digging for it can get annoying. Just a bit more maturity and civility would help all around. We are all part of a Vikings brotherhood, after all. :smilevike:
PurpleScout
Backup

Post by PurpleScout »

Code:
Coaching Position 2013 2014
------------------------------------ ------------------ ------------------
Head Coach Leslie Frazier Mike Zimmer
Offensive Coordinator Bill Musgrave Norv Turner (Confirmed)
Defensive Coordinator Alan Williams George Edwards (Confirmed)
Special Teams Coordinator Mike Priefer ?
Assistant Special Teams Coordinator Ryan Ficken ?
Quarterbacks Craig Johnson ?
Assistant Quarterbacks Kevin Stefanski Scott Turner (Confirmed)
Running Backs James Saxon ?
Wide Receivers George Stewart ?
Tight Ends Jimmie Johnson ?
Offensive Line Jeff Davidson Retained?
Assistant Offensive Line Ryan Silverfield ?
Defensive Line Brendan Daly ?
Assistant Defensive Line Diron Reynolds ?
Linebackers Fred Pagac (Pepper Johnson) Being Reported as the talk at Senior Bowl?
Defensive Assistant/Linebackers Jeff Imamura ?
Defensive Backs Joe Woods Adam Zimmer (Confirmed)
Strength and Conditioning Tom Kanavy ?
Assistant Strength and Conditioning Aaron McLaurin ?
Assistant Strength and Conditioning Martin Streight ?
Assistant to Head Coach Jeff Howard ?
Offensive Quality Control Klint Kubiak ?
Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers Mike Singletary (no replacement)
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

lol Pagac is still here?
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.