2014 Vikings Draft Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 2014 Vikings Draft Discussion

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Slicky Ricky is on the phone right now with the Texans, begging to trade up to #1 to pick Tajh Boyd because he looks good against the Buckeyes tonight.

But seriously, this Sammy Watkins looks like the real deal.

And what about Boyd in the 3rd?
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

VikingPaul73 wrote:Slicky Ricky is on the phone right now with the Texans, begging to trade up to #1 to pick Tajh Boyd because he looks good against the Buckeyes tonight.

Hope not. Another athlete playing QB. For every miracle play the guy makes, he has a half dozen he looks like he has no idea what he's doing. Missing open receivers, running too soon.

:(
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingPaul73 wrote:Slicky Ricky is on the phone right now with the Texans, begging to trade up to #1 to pick Tajh Boyd because he looks good against the Buckeyes tonight.

I think you could even see Boyd sneak into the 2nd. Boyd is a very smooth passer, has a very strong arm, and is a playmaker. He has always reminded me somewhat of Donavan McNabb (in his prime). Personally, I would love to get him in the 2nd or 3rd. He is not just "an athlete playing QB". If Boyd can't beat you with his arm, he can beat you with his legs and vice versa. He has very good pocket presence as well. His biggest struggle at times is his accuracy. He's not horribly inaccurate but can have some lapses at times. I've always been a big fan of Boyd and I would love to take him in the 2nd or later.

Great highlight video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCrOmzwxs3s
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

808vikingsfan wrote:Just watched a highlight video of Bridgewater. Anyone else think he has a very slow release? I've never actually watched him during a game but 5 minutes of this video and I'm not very impressed. He has happy feet, doesn't look very accurate, and often throws into coverage.
You judged him on watching 5 minutes of a highlight video :?: Most scouts would definately disagree and by most accounts he will be the first player selected in the draft. I would love to have him or JFB in a Viking uniform.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

808vikingsfan wrote:Just watched a highlight video of Bridgewater. Anyone else think he has a very slow release? I've never actually watched him during a game but 5 minutes of this video and I'm not very impressed. He has happy feet, doesn't look very accurate, and often throws into coverage.
what video are you watching if I may ask? Because in all the games I've watched him (haven't seen em all, but I've watched quite a few and am currently rewatching the Sugar bowl from last year where he was extremely impressive) I have never once come to any of the conclusions you have. He actually has quite a quick release. His feet are not "happy", his feel for pressure and mobility in and out of the pocket is one of his greatest qualities. He is one of the most accurate college passers out there, if not the most accurate.

The one thing I will agree is that he does throw into coverage, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing considering his aforementioned accuracy. I seen him throw some incredibly placed balls into very tight double coverage on numerous occasions.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

saint33 wrote: what video are you watching if I may ask? Because in all the games I've watched him (haven't seen em all, but I've watched quite a few and am currently rewatching the Sugar bowl from last year where he was extremely impressive) I have never once come to any of the conclusions you have. He actually has quite a quick release. His feet are not "happy", his feel for pressure and mobility in and out of the pocket is one of his greatest qualities. He is one of the most accurate college passers out there, if not the most accurate.

The one thing I will agree is that he does throw into coverage, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing considering his aforementioned accuracy. I seen him throw some incredibly placed balls into very tight double coverage on numerous occasions.
He was impressive in this years bowl game, there was one point he looked downright unstoppable.
This space available for rent.
9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

The Texans say they are willing to trade out of the #1 pick. Is Bridge water good enough to consider getting #1 and drafting him? In other words is he a for sure thing and the Vikes should give up the farm. I would be ok with it if Bridge water can come in and win. If truly all we need is a QB.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

9man wrote:The Texans say they are willing to trade out of the #1 pick. Is Bridge water good enough to consider getting #1 and drafting him? In other words is he a for sure thing and the Vikes should give up the farm. I would be ok with it if Bridge water can come in and win. If truly all we need is a QB.
Do you have a source or link talking about them trading out of the #1 :?:

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

Purple bruise wrote: Do you have a source or link talking about them trading out of the #1 :?:
Reported on ESPN this morning
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

9man wrote: Reported on ESPN this morning
Straight up trade for AD?????? He would be playing in his beloved home state. :thumbsup:

9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

I would not be OK with that! I was thinking picks for pick, similar to what the skins did to get rg3
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

9man wrote:I would not be OK with that! I was thinking picks for pick, similar to what the skins did to get rg3

They will want a king's ransom with soooo many teams needing a QB of Bridgewater's skills and abilities.

9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

Purple bruise wrote:
They will want a king's ransom with soooo many teams needing a QB of Bridgewater's skills and abilities.
I know, the Vikes are one of those teams. Is TB worth a kings ransom? If he is then pay it. The skins gave what, 3 first Rounders and a second?
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

9man wrote: I know, the Vikes are one of those teams. Is TB worth a kings ransom? If he is then pay it. The skins gave what, 3 first Rounders and a second?
Exactly, how did that turn out for the Skins. :wink:

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

9man wrote: I know, the Vikes are one of those teams. Is TB worth a kings ransom? If he is then pay it. The skins gave what, 3 first Rounders and a second?

I would answer w/ a resounding NO. Bridgewater is not Andrew Luck or RG3. He's a good prospect, but not a slam dunk.