Zimmer pleased with Patterson's offseason work, 'mentality'

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Zimmer pleased with Patterson's offseason work, 'mentali

Post by fiestavike »

Demi wrote:http://www.startribune.com/vikings-patt ... 302694181/
Is this the Mystical WR Guru? Or just a seperate Hell's ninja trainer? Getting more and more nike vision camp like! :rofl:
A little late to the party Demi. :rofl:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Yeah I missed that one when it was posted before. :oops:
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I don't really care about his workouts. Working hard to be in phenomenal physical shape is basically expected on this level. I'll say the same thing here that I told my friend (49ers fan) when he told me with an excited tone that Kaepernick didn't wait but a few days to already start working out for the next season after they lost in the Super Bowl. That is, "Unless he's putting that same energy and even more into the film room, then I don't really care."

This isn't a Rocky movie. Just because you're doing a unique workout on a mountain or a beach, doesn't prepare you for a football game. CP better be working on his routes, memorizing the playbook and spending the rest of the day watching film harder than he is "getting into the best shape of his life." That won't help what he needs so desperately to improve on.
LuckyHandsINC
Waterboy

Post by LuckyHandsINC »

I keep seeing a lot of people saying thing along the lines of, I don't care about workouts. Learn the playbook and how to run routes.

The thing is this "hells trainer" workout isn't a typical physical workout. It's just as much about the mental strength to push through and finish it.

Having the discipline to finish this workout, can be a factor in having the discipline to push yourself to do what it takes to be a much better player. As far as im concerned this workout is more about mental toughness than physical capability.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

PacificNorseWest wrote:I don't really care about his workouts. Working hard to be in phenomenal physical shape is basically expected on this level. I'll say the same thing here that I told my friend (49ers fan) when he told me with an excited tone that Kaepernick didn't wait but a few days to already start working out for the next season after they lost in the Super Bowl. That is, "Unless he's putting that same energy and even more into the film room, then I don't really care."

This isn't a Rocky movie. Just because you're doing a unique workout on a mountain or a beach, doesn't prepare you for a football game. CP better be working on his routes, memorizing the playbook and spending the rest of the day watching film harder than he is "getting into the best shape of his life." That won't help what he needs so desperately to improve on.
Zimmer has said Patterson is working hard on routes, the playbook, and technique. What, you think Zimmer is lying?
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

LuckyHandsINC wrote:
Having the discipline to finish this workout, can be a factor in having the discipline to push yourself to do what it takes to be a much better player. As far as im concerned this workout is more about mental toughness than physical capability.
What you said. What I take away from this is that he's committed to getting better, and not just having a relaxing off season.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

LuckyHandsINC wrote:I keep seeing a lot of people saying thing along the lines of, I don't care about workouts. Learn the playbook and how to run routes.

The thing is this "hells trainer" workout isn't a typical physical workout. It's just as much about the mental strength to push through and finish it.

It's a good point, but everyone's brains aren't wired the same. Some people just can't get it. I agree it can give him great confidence that could carry over to other aspects of the game, but you never know. Hopefully that's the case.
losperros wrote: Zimmer has said Patterson is working hard on routes, the playbook, and technique. What, you think Zimmer is lying?
Didn't see where he said that, but no. I basically believe everything Zimmer says.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I think everything he is doing will benefit him. He worked out with the hell dude for a few weeks. He's working on his routes and position knowledge with a yet to be named guy in the Bay Area, then he will do a second stint with hell guy before training camp.

His trouble getting off the line is just as pertinent as any confusion he has about knowing where to be on any given play, IMO.

Won't know if his problems are going to resolve...but I don't think anyone can accuse him of not making a concerted effort. Hopefully it's not a year too late in terms of how he fits with the Vikes.

I know they gave up a lot to draft him...but he doesn't come with a huge contract and is a stud on KR, so maybe he has more time than most of us, me anyway, believe.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

I don't think it's a year too late. I think it's a year too right. The situation has opened up nicely for him to reintroduce himself to the league.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote:I think everything he is doing will benefit him. He worked out with the hell dude for a few weeks. He's working on his routes and position knowledge with a yet to be named guy in the Bay Area, then he will do a second stint with hell guy before training camp.
I'm betting he has at least another two seasons (2015 and 2016), which will take him to the end of his rookie contract. The Vikings knew they were drafting a project when they selected him and they know he's an enormously talented player so I expect to see patience from them. His attitude has been great and his contract is affordable, so while I'm sure they'd love to see him pay bigger dividends on the field soon, I don't think he's in much danger of being cut over the next two years.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

It's not to late in the sense that everyone, including the coaches have said this will be a big make or break year for him. If the training helps and he's a whole new receiver able to execute the job of a real WR in this offense then he'll be a massive boost to this team and a star. If he can't show significant improvement in the mental aspect of the game than yeah I think they'd try to shop him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder and move on to a more polished WR to replace him. It'll become very clear 6 weeks into the season which way things are headed though. His saving grace is that they knew they were drafting a project to begin with.

Then there's the middle ground possibility where he shows SOME improvement but he still isn't where they want him to be but he showed enough to stick around for another year. It also depends on how well his fellow WR's do this year, including Stefon Diggs. Diggs doesn't have Patterson's size at all but he does return kicks and punts which is one of the more useful things Patterson does right now. If Diggs has a great season that could hurt Patterson's chances.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Mothman wrote:
I'm betting he has at least another two seasons (2015 and 2016), which will take him to the end of his rookie contract. The Vikings knew they were drafting a project when they selected him and they know he's an enormously talented player so I expect to see patience from them. His attitude has been great and his contract is affordable, so while I'm sure they'd love to see him pay bigger dividends on the field soon, I don't think he's in much danger of being cut over the next two years.

Actually my sentiment was more a concern that he will be so far down on the depth chart that the Vikes won't be able to give him reps...not that they will straight up give up on him.

Either way, this year is big for he and Wallace going forward.

Definitely rooting for CP to bust out....as PNW suggests, the table is set for him.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

PacificNorseWest wrote:I don't really care about his workouts. Working hard to be in phenomenal physical shape is basically expected on this level. I'll say the same thing here that I told my friend (49ers fan) when he told me with an excited tone that Kaepernick didn't wait but a few days to already start working out for the next season after they lost in the Super Bowl. That is, "Unless he's putting that same energy and even more into the film room, then I don't really care."

So you some how imagine that that is all that CP will do and not work on any other aspects of his game to improve as a receiver ie. route running. :?
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Purple bruise wrote: So you some how imagine that that is all that CP will do and not work on any other aspects of his game to improve as a receiver ie. route running. :?
Would love for you to point out where I said that was the case.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Would love for you to point out where I said that was the case.[/quote]

"CP BETTER be working on his routes, memorizing the playbook and spending the rest of the day watching film harder than he is getting into the best shape of his life". I took that statement as sounding very condescending. Like duh, guess he better be doing those "things "too.
I am pretty sure that he is doing those other things and the coaches, GM, his agent and certainly and most importantly CP is very aware of those shortcomings and is taking measures to improve on them.
I guess I just do not understand the disdain so may have for this kid. He probably has more skills and upside than almost any player on the team. Dam, give him a chance.

If I took that wrong, then I apologize :wink:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.