Young Theodore Bridgewater

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Re: 21 Year Old Ted Bridgewater

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Anyone who is giving up on Teddy Bridgewater is asinine. Might as well just give up on every rookie that struggles. :roll:

Bridgewater needs to be allowed to play. I honestly think the coaching staff is trying to script his game. You cannot do that to a QB. You have to let them learn to adjust to the game. Bridgewater has the ability to be able to play the game.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Anyone who is giving up on Teddy Bridgewater is asinine. Might as well just give up on every rookie that struggles. :roll:

Bridgewater needs to be allowed to play. I honestly think the coaching staff is trying to script his game. You cannot do that to a QB. You have to let them learn to adjust to the game. Bridgewater has the ability to be able to play the game.
So what do you mean when you say the coaching staff is trying to script his game? The coaching staff calls all the plays, so yeah, they are 'scripting' what is being called, just like every other NFL team. Are you saying that they should just let him call his own plays?
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

Purple Reign wrote: I wish people would stop using the Manning comparison. There is no guarantee that Teddy will 'get it' just because Manning did. For every Manning there are quite a few more qbs that never 'got it' (Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russel, JP Losman, Matt Leinart, Ponder, Brady Quinn, Akili Smith just to mention a few). I'm not saying Teddy won't become a good qb, I'm just saying that you can't say he will just because Manning did.

It doesn't mean he will be the next Manning, it simply means he won't nessicarily be the next Quinn or Leaf just because he had had some struggles early on.
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

Purpnation wrote:
It doesn't mean he will be the next Manning, it simply means he won't nessicarily be the next Quinn or Leaf just because he had had some struggles early on.
I like the Manning comparison. It just shows that if Manning were our rookie QB this year, there would be a few here declaring him a bust and #### that we never draft good QBs.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mmvikes wrote: I like the Manning comparison. It just shows that if Manning were our rookie QB this year, there would be a few here declaring him a bust and #### that we never draft good QBs.
You make a good point
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I think that Drew Brees is a much better comparison for Teddy if we're going that route. They both have physical limitations (Brees is short, Teddy is skinny) and both lack elite arm strength.

If you look at Brees' second year, his completion percentage, YPA, and QB rating are all almost identical to Teddy's.

I'm not going to do Brees the disservice of assuming that Teddy can be that caliber of player, but if he can get close, we can still have a chance every year.

I'm not sold on Teddy yet, but during the rough stretches I try to remember this: if Eli Manning can win 2 Super Bowls, any competent QB can.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Purple Reign wrote: So what do you mean when you say the coaching staff is trying to script his game? The coaching staff calls all the plays, so yeah, they are 'scripting' what is being called, just like every other NFL team. Are you saying that they should just let him call his own plays?
What I am saying is I believe (and I don't have proof) that the coaching staff is simply calling a set of pre-scripted play calls during the game. They are trying to implement a script rather than calling what they are seeing on the field. Every NFL offense has scripted plays. I believe that our offense has more than average scripted plays.

Also, again, I don't have information, but it seems that Teddy doesn't/hasn't have/had the free range to audible. I have hardly noticed him audibling the play call. Again, it could be something due to his inexperience, or it could be a coach's decision.

At the end of the day, I am just saying what i believe. Obviously, I am not a coach, so I have no idea as to what is actually happening on game day. All I know is that is simply pathetic to throw the towel in on Teddy already.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
What I am saying is I believe (and I don't have proof) that the coaching staff is simply calling a set of pre-scripted play calls during the game. They are trying to implement a script rather than calling what they are seeing on the field. Every NFL offense has scripted plays. I believe that our offense has more than average scripted plays.

Also, again, I don't have information, but it seems that Teddy doesn't/hasn't have/had the free range to audible. I have hardly noticed him audibling the play call. Again, it could be something due to his inexperience, or it could be a coach's decision.

At the end of the day, I am just saying what i believe. Obviously, I am not a coach, so I have no idea as to what is actually happening on game day. All I know is that is simply pathetic to throw the towel in on Teddy already.
I don't think anyone is throwing in the towel on Teddy, just pointing out that he's not progressing like they hoped he would yet.

I would say that most teams will script the first several plays of the game, but even those get changed depending on the outcome of the previous plays. I think rather than the coaches scripting the entire game for Teddy, it is more likely that they just have a limited play selection for him to keep it simple and don't want to throw too much at him so he won't get overwhelmed, but that doesn't appear to be working so well either from a production standpoint.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I think we will have a really good idea by the end of next year, whether teddy is our future QB or not. Giving him even 1 good target, one who can run routes, get separation, and doesn't give up on plays, will help to make that call. And maybe having a new guard and tackle would help too.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Bridgewater will be fine provided he gets:

1) Adequate protection from the offensive line
2) Experience
3) Better timing on his deep ball

Bridgewater moves well in the pocket for a rookie. In fact, he moves well in the pocket for a vet. What he lacks more than anything right now is consistency, both from himself, but also from his offensive line.
sneaxsneax
Veteran

Post by sneaxsneax »

VikingLord wrote:Bridgewater will be fine provided he gets:

1) Adequate protection from the offensive line
2) Experience
3) Better timing on his deep ball

Bridgewater moves well in the pocket for a rookie. In fact, he moves well in the pocket for a vet. What he lacks more than anything right now is consistency, both from himself, but also from his offensive line.

This x100 with 1 caveat. If he doesn't get 1 soonish, he could fail to blossom into a good quarterback. I don't know of any rookie quarterbacks that spent 2-3 years getting hammered in the pocket and then turned into elite players.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

sneaxsneax wrote:
This x100 with 1 caveat. If he doesn't get 1 soonish, he could fail to blossom into a good quarterback. I don't know of any rookie quarterbacks that spent 2-3 years getting hammered in the pocket and then turned into elite players.
John Elway pretty much spent his whole career getting hammered in the pocket since he wasn't all that mobile and he turned out pretty good. Here are his sacks stats for his first 4 years: 28 (first season he played only 11 games), 24, 38, 32 which doesn't even take into account qb hits which they didn't keep track of back then. I'm not convinced that he couldn't still turn into a very good qb despite getting sacked a bunch of times.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I think we will have a really good idea by the end of next year, whether teddy is our future QB or not. Giving him even 1 good target, one who can run routes, get separation, and doesn't give up on plays, will help to make that call. And maybe having a new guard and tackle would help too.
Yeah, giving him a guy on the downturn of his career, and a guy who doesn't seem to be mentally able to play the position doesn't help. The front office tried to surround the QB with talent, they just don't seem that good at doing it.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

The struggles of a rookie QB. Through 8 games played in - 6TD's, 7ints, 1689yds, 75.7 qbr
http://www.nfl.com/player/teddybridgewa ... 5/gamelogs
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
MichViking
Transition Player

Post by MichViking »

Well...At least he had his first multi TD day today....

Progress. I just wish he would get in sync with Jennings/Patterson and not number 12.
RIP Sean Taylor