** Official 2013 Draft Thread **

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DCman11
All Pro Elite Player

Re: ** Official 2013 Draft Thread **

Post by DCman11 »

PacificNorseWest wrote:I'm very intrigued with the two PSU LB's. That Penn St. program went through a lot of turmoil for circumstances that had nothing really to do with that current roster. With everyone transferring out and being under the microscope like that, and to come out with a winning season like they did...That takes a lot of high quality guys and great leaders.

Reading the scouting report on these guys you see things like "upstanding citizen" and "strong leadership qualities," among others. These guys probably played an integral role in the success that Penn St. had and given the circumstances, these are guys that potentially won't get frazzled by anything that comes their way and on top of being proven leaders, they're solid football players too.

I see you Spielman.
I'm a Senior at Penn State right now. Obviously I am absolutely ELATED that the Vikings picked up my fellow classmates, Mauti and Hodges. These guys are the epitome of loyalty and character..let me tell you. The team would have fallen apart had they not banded the locker room together during the scandal. In addition, they consistently play at their highest level, are very coachable, and excel in cover. Hodges came in as a safety and converted to LB and Mauti has great linear speed and instincts. Think Teddy Bruschi. If he can stay healthy (which is a big if), we made out with a steal.

I am so damn happy about these picks, but I'm a huge homer.

Edit: To give you an idea of how dedicated Mauti is..when he suffered his last injury, he wrote a letter to every NFL GM elaborating on his love for the game of football and his determination to play in the NFL at a high level.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Not sure if this was reported anywhere, and it really doesn't matter now anyway, but my dad told me earlier today that a coworker of his was in Minneapolis last week and spotted Te'o at the airport. Apparently the guy took a photo and put it on his facebook but I haven't seen it. Just interesting because if it's true, then the Vikings indeed were fairly interested in him. Interested enough to bring him in for a one-on-one meeting. So they did probably want him but the guys still available on the board were too good to pass up
big deli Vike
Backup

Post by big deli Vike »

i like the hodges pick. He's the same year as I am and I went to a rival high school of his in NJ and he dominated the area. His teams won either the south jersey championships or even states. Its crazy to have him as a viking now
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

DCman11 wrote: I'm a Senior at Penn State right now. Obviously I am absolutely ELATED that the Vikings picked up my fellow classmates, Mauti and Hodges. These guys are the epitome of loyalty and character..let me tell you. The team would have fallen apart had they not banded the locker room together during the scandal. In addition, they consistently play at their highest level, are very coachable, and excel in cover. Hodges came in as a safety and converted to LB and Mauti has great linear speed and instincts. Think Teddy Bruschi. If he can stay healthy (which is a big if), we made out with a steal.

I am so damn happy about these picks, but I'm a huge homer.

Edit: To give you an idea of how dedicated Mauti is..when he suffered his last injury, he wrote a letter to every NFL GM elaborating on his love for the game of football and his determination to play in the NFL at a high level.

As a Hawkeye fan, I'm glad they both are aboard the ship Norseman :smilevike:
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

HornedMessiah wrote:Not sure if this was reported anywhere, and it really doesn't matter now anyway, but my dad told me earlier today that a coworker of his was in Minneapolis last week and spotted Te'o at the airport. Apparently the guy took a photo and put it on his facebook but I haven't seen it. Just interesting because if it's true, then the Vikings indeed were fairly interested in him. Interested enough to bring him in for a one-on-one meeting. So they did probably want him but the guys still available on the board were too good to pass up
They were interested and I'm not doubting he was high on their board. But I think it was a combination of needs vs what we could draft. Who knows, if Floyd had not fallen, they might have taken him. But I suspect they had another DT in their sites as it was.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

If there's one position in all of football that all you need to be successful is grit, instincts, and hustle...It's middle linebacker. I feel like the Penn St. kid can be just that.
Purple Rage
Franchise Player

Post by Purple Rage »

PacificNorseWest wrote:If there's one position in all of football that all you need to be successful is grit, instincts, and hustle...It's middle linebacker. I feel like the Penn St. kid can be just that.
Are we talking about Mauti or Hodges? To me Mauti possesses everything u want in a MLB experience, leadership, smarts, relentless tackler. Hodges has even stated he's learned a lot from Mauti and that he was the center of the defense before he got hurt. I think we got a utility guy in hodges that can move around and make plays especially on 3rd downs. If Mauti is healthy, an can go day 1 , he will be our Mike LB. Or at least have the best chance to retain that position. Either way these two guys are great for our squad, an the chemistry they already was genius for Rick to grab them both. Looks like Minn jus got a major facelift on both sides of the ball, CAN'T WAIT for sept!
REAL MEN WEAR PURPLE!
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I was referring to Mauti, yes.
PurpleJarl
Starter

Post by PurpleJarl »

I just cant get over the 3 acl tears. I mean THREE tears two left one right. I don't no much about ACL injuries but after three shouldn't you either A) examine for a muscle strength deficency, or B) look to see you your techinque is right for just about everything involving your legs? It seems a bit of a stretch to just chalk it up to three unlucky breaks in the space of a 3 years. Not to mention how much more likely you are to re tear after the intial one.