2024 NFL Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 2024 NFL Draft

Post by CharVike »

Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:51 pm I'm not sure how savvy KAM might be. But, NFL execs/GMs/coaches definitely have more intel than us folks. Is it possible the trade up for pick 23 is for a QB at 23? They know they're not getting Williams & maybe KOC doesn't see one of the remaining five of those six QBs as being a substantially better prospect than the rest? And they really feel at least one or maybe even two of them will still be available at 23? Could pick 11 be BPA at a position of need?

Is all this QB draft hype just that? Hype. Weren't three of these guys (McCarthy, Nix & Penix) considered most likely as 2nd round picks? You often hear things like an "unnamed" NFL team exec. says "insert player's name" is climbing up teams draft boards. "Insert player's name" draft stock is increasing every day. A lot of this talk has gotta be for ratings or website hits. The NFL has gotta love it & probably plays a hand in it. Roger Goodell can say the 2024 draft was the most viewed draft in NFL history.

I can see the ads for the upcoming first round of the 2024 draft. "Thursday!! Thursday!! Thursday!! Will NFL Draft history be made? Will four QBs be picked in the top 5? Tune in to the 2024 NFL Draft!!" And of course, if and when that doesn't happen. The gurus will have even more to talk about for the coming weeks.

God damnit!! I just want it to be over so we know where we stand & get ready for 2024 & the future.
The hype is unbelievable. More than likely it will turn out like it does every year. 2018 was a deep draft and here are the pics round one. Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, and Lamar Jackson.
Of course everybody will have an opinion. Here's mine. Baker a journey man. Darnold same deal but much worse than Baker, Allen good pro and has had success. Hasn't been able to get through the playoffs. Rosen nothing, Lamar has had success on a very good team. Another that can't push his team through. I see nothing that makes it great or even good. You have 2 that done some good for different reasons. Key is picking the one guy this year that is good from the big 6. The 5 teams that miss it's over for a SB chance for many years. This draft will also have a Rosen and Darnold perhaps in the 1st 2 picks. Our 11 and 12.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:51 pm I'm not sure how savvy KAM might be. But, NFL execs/GMs/coaches definitely have more intel than us folks. Is it possible the trade up for pick 23 is for a QB at 23? They know they're not getting Williams & maybe KOC doesn't see one of the remaining five of those six QBs as being a substantially better prospect than the rest? And they really feel at least one or maybe even two of them will still be available at 23? Could pick 11 be BPA at a position of need?

Is all this QB draft hype just that? Hype. Weren't three of these guys (McCarthy, Nix & Penix) considered most likely as 2nd round picks? You often hear things like an "unnamed" NFL team exec. says "insert player's name" is climbing up teams draft boards. "Insert player's name" draft stock is increasing every day. A lot of this talk has gotta be for ratings or website hits. The NFL has gotta love it & probably plays a hand in it. Roger Goodell can say the 2024 draft was the most viewed draft in NFL history.

I can see the ads for the upcoming first round of the 2024 draft. "Thursday!! Thursday!! Thursday!! Will NFL Draft history be made? Will four QBs be picked in the top 5? Tune in to the 2024 NFL Draft!!" And of course, if and when that doesn't happen. The gurus will have even more to talk about for the coming weeks.

God damnit!! I just want it to be over so we know where we stand & get ready for 2024 & the future.
The best way to think of the draft is in terms of tiers. If one hopes the Vikings didn't grab 23 as ammunition for a trade, then the best explanation is that the Vikings have 23-23+ players in their top 1-2 tiers.

If there were no need for a QB, one could imagine under this circumstance trading 11 for anything between 12-22 and considering any picks you get in return as 'free' assets. One could also imagine a circumstance where at 23, ten of the players in the Vikings top 1-2 tiers are still on the board. In that case, trading back to 33 would itself come with a bunch of 'free' assets. Likewise, at 33, five of their top players might still be available and they could trade back to 38 and get one of those players while collecting more 'free' assets.

What's obviously critical is having people who can correctly arrange the tiers to suit your system and then having continuity in your organization to maximize the value of those picks.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Nix 2023 highlights. He throws some long passes here. You don't see WR slowing up for them. He leads them. He has touch. Plus he has good size. He's above JJM. As someone posted JJM is 3rd round value so he won't go top 10. Could slip to round 2. When leadership is your highest quality at this point there's major issues. Hype train again. But a team later in round 1 could pick him. The Rams finally have a 1st rounder and that team always deals and could use a guy behind Stafford to dev.

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:12 am Nix 2023 highlights. He throws some long passes here. You don't see WR slowing up for them. He leads them. He has touch. Plus he has good size. He's above JJM. As someone posted JJM is 3rd round value so he won't go top 10. Could slip to round 2. When leadership is your highest quality at this point there's major issues. Hype train again. But a team later in round 1 could pick him. The Rams finally have a 1st rounder and that team always deals and could use a guy behind Stafford to dev.

Nice video, but since it is a highlights video some people might question how valid it is. I've watched plenty of full game breakdowns and they aren't very different.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:10 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:12 am Nix 2023 highlights. He throws some long passes here. You don't see WR slowing up for them. He leads them. He has touch. Plus he has good size. He's above JJM. As someone posted JJM is 3rd round value so he won't go top 10. Could slip to round 2. When leadership is your highest quality at this point there's major issues. Hype train again. But a team later in round 1 could pick him. The Rams finally have a 1st rounder and that team always deals and could use a guy behind Stafford to dev.

Nice video, but since it is a highlights video some people might question how valid it is. I've watched plenty of full game breakdowns and they aren't very different.
It's valid. It looks very much like it's him or Penix. I think the JJM stuff is BS from the media. A team later might hit gold once he sits a year or two.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

This draft mock is finally coming back down to earth. We take JJM at 11 which is a surprise and Chop at 23. Only 2 QBs go top 5. The way it started before the media... Caleb, Maye. Nix and Penix not in round 1. Giants no QB but Alt who's a stud. The top edge guys are gone 7,8 which is no surprise before 10. Bears get Nabbers at 9. Denver Bowers.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... th-giants/
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:36 pm This draft mock is finally coming back down to earth. We take JJM at 11 which is a surprise and Chop at 23. Only 2 QBs go top 5. The way it started before the media... Caleb, Maye. Nix and Penix not in round 1. Giants no QB but Alt who's a stud. The top edge guys are gone 7,8 which is no surprise before 10. Bears get Nabbers at 9. Denver Bowers.

This seems more realistic given all the qb stock that has magically flew through the roof. I’d love if if those are our first two picks.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

allday1991 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:49 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:36 pm This draft mock is finally coming back down to earth. We take JJM at 11 which is a surprise and Chop at 23. Only 2 QBs go top 5. The way it started before the media... Caleb, Maye. Nix and Penix not in round 1. Giants no QB but Alt who's a stud. The top edge guys are gone 7,8 which is no surprise before 10. Bears get Nabbers at 9. Denver Bowers.

This seems more realistic given all the qb stock that has magically flew through the roof. I’d love if if those are our first two picks.
I could live with JJ and Chop.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I wonder if Kewsi will try and package some of these later picks together and get a 2nd and 3rd round pick? Get back in the action for day 2. Will a 4th and 5th and 6th get a 2nd for example?
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

It seems like a lot of parity for the “top 6” QBs. To move to the top 5 picks, we are looking at both 1rd’ers this year and next year’s 1st. I don’t know how to do a poll, but it feels like most people are saying sit and pick at 11 whether it be Penix, JJM, or Nix. As opposed to selling the farm for Maye or Daniels. Maye or Daniels won’t make it to 11. This is not my opinion, this is how it will be. In my opinion Caleb Williams will pan out to be a sensitive project with an attitude for the next 5 years. I’m super psyched for the bears to take him. But as much as I disagree with that valuation of number 1 overall… that’s where he’s going. Then Poles will take the top WR left with 9. 9? Williams, Maye, and daniels are all locks to not make it to 11. So if you had to choose between 3 1st rounders for Maye or Daniels… or sit and pick Penix/Nix/JJM at 11. What say you?
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Give me Penix or Nix. Don't get me wrong, I trade the 3 1sts for a Jayden Daniels if given the opportunity. He's my favorite of all.
They, Penix and Nix played in the Pac 12 and its a passing league ! That gets severely looked over. These guys played at Indiana and Auburn before going out West and cutting it loose. Awesome skillsets, just needed a different venue.
Look at who's doing well in the NFL.
Mahomes - Texas Tech threw ball all over the place
Herbert - Oregon threw ball a ton.
Burrow - LSU 50 TDs and huge throwing numbers
CJ Stroud - Ohio State huge throwing numbers
Josh Allen - Wyoming was THE playmaker
Stafford - gunslinger
Rodgers - Cal gunslinger
Baker - Oklahoma Heisman huge throwing numbers
Hurts - Oklahoma
Murray - Oklahoma gun slinger
Purdy - Iowa State threw ball all over
Lamar - Louisville and he threw the ball a ton and ran
Tua - Bama actually big numbers

Reason I write those is that they had to demonstrate the ability to make throws in college. Caleb, Daniels, Penix, and Nix have all demonstrated. Accurate, can make every throw on all platforms, plenty of arm strength, has demonstrated ability to make the throws in games.
How many guys in today's NFL game were good QBs in college but not special players. They are backups if even still in league. I wait for Penix or Nix.
Very few Tom Brady stories out there. Is JJM a Brady? Don't know, but I prefer the guys that I have seen make all the throws.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

IIsweet wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:32 am Give me Penix or Nix. Don't get me wrong, I trade the 3 1sts for a Jayden Daniels if given the opportunity. He's my favorite of all.
They, Penix and Nix played in the Pac 12 and its a passing league ! That gets severely looked over. These guys played at Indiana and Auburn before going out West and cutting it loose. Awesome skillsets, just needed a different venue.
Stafford - gunslinger
Rodgers - Cal gunslinger
Hurts - Oklahoma

Reason I write those is that they had to demonstrate the ability to make throws in college. Caleb, Daniels, Penix, and Nix have all demonstrated. Accurate, can make every throw on all platforms, plenty of arm strength, has demonstrated ability to make the throws in games.
How many guys in today's NFL game were good QBs in college but not special players. They are backups if even still in league. I wait for Penix or Nix.
Very few Tom Brady stories out there. Is JJM a Brady? Don't know, but I prefer the guys that I have seen make all the throws.
I like the way you think. :govikes:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

I'm sure we're getting mocked out, but Brendan Donahue has been the most accurate draft prognosticator over the last 5 years according to some analysis. He has the Vikings moving up to 4 drafting Maye in a 3 way trade with the Cards and Chargers using nothing more than our 11 and 23. The Cards get 5 for 11 and 27 drafting MHJ.
https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/a ... n-donahue/
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

BeforeIDie wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:44 pm It seems like a lot of parity for the “top 6” QBs. To move to the top 5 picks, we are looking at both 1rd’ers this year and next year’s 1st. I don’t know how to do a poll, but it feels like most people are saying sit and pick at 11 whether it be Penix, JJM, or Nix. As opposed to selling the farm for Maye or Daniels. Maye or Daniels won’t make it to 11. This is not my opinion, this is how it will be. In my opinion Caleb Williams will pan out to be a sensitive project with an attitude for the next 5 years. I’m super psyched for the bears to take him. But as much as I disagree with that valuation of number 1 overall… that’s where he’s going. Then Poles will take the top WR left with 9. 9? Williams, Maye, and daniels are all locks to not make it to 11. So if you had to choose between 3 1st rounders for Maye or Daniels… or sit and pick Penix/Nix/JJM at 11. What say you?
Kewsi has backed himself and the team into a corner. He's in a desperate spot which never leads to a well thought out decision. Once your on the QB hunt it's over. I like Maye the best but I don't expect that. It will be one of the tier 2 stiffs and in a few years it will be what happened? Let's go back on the hunt. I've watched that for over 50 years so I've seen it before many times and don't care to see it again. Just throw the names in a hat and pick one. That has the same chance as a thorough investigation. Matter of fact it would be more entertaining. Just show our draft table and let KOC hand Kewsi the hat. Then Kewsi will reach in for one. Name don't even matter. Some will cheer and some will boo regardless of name.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

IIsweet wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:32 am Give me Penix or Nix. Don't get me wrong, I trade the 3 1sts for a Jayden Daniels if given the opportunity. He's my favorite of all.
Stafford - gunslinger
Rodgers - Cal gunslinger
Hurts - Oklahoma

How about the what happen to him guys? Mac Jones threw the ball over the place and was a winner. He's nothing. Haskins from Ohio ST and it goes on. The guy the Panthers pick Young after one year? Don't look good so far. Baker is still in the NFL but has bounced around. Murray? Not sure about that one. Hurts made the SB which is a great accomplish. That D set an NFL record for sacks. This year his D fell apart and they couldn't beat any team at the end. Lamar home championship game he put up 10 points. He was tearing the NFL apart. 30 points was easy. Something went wrong. His D held the best Mahomes to 17 points. We got one of those guys slingin Sammy he's our new captain. In the end you better have a very good all around team. That's accomplished by drafting well.
Last edited by CharVike on Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.