2024 NFL Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

cogitator
Veteran

Re: 2024 NFL Draft

Post by cogitator »

A lot of video here of McCarthy missing throws at the combine (and a trade).

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremia ... -draft-3-0
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:11 am I'm ok with moving up to take Maye. Moving up for JJ would be a huge mistake that would likely get everyone fired in a few years. His ceiling is Tua/ Alex Smith and his floor is Jimmy Clausen. That's not a guy you give up 4 potential impact starters to go get. It's also a guy you will end up paying like an elite QB eventually when he's actually mid. He will put up serviceable stats with JJ and Addison to throw to then ask for the moon. This is what happens when you don't put serious effort in to drafting and developing QBs. The Packers get it. They draft them well in advance thus not having to reach or give up huge assets to do it all while letting them develop. The Lions last year took Hendon Hooker so they have a guy with starting potential when Goff's deal is up. We meanwhile wait until it's desperation mode then give up a haul to get the 4th or 6th ranked guy in the class without elite attributes or much tape to lean on. Taking a flyer on guys late like Hall isn't good enough and leaves you scrambling when the :hitfan:
Excellent point. Why do we wait until we stink of desperation (which will raise the price tag on a trade up cause teams know we NEED IT NOW) to bring in a first round QB prospect? Imagine Penix or Bo Nix, or certainly Maye, sitting for 2 years behind Cousins. Not saying we should have kept Cousins, but should have picked up maybe Will Levis earlier. Now here we are gambling the next 5 years hoping to get, ARGUABLY, the 5th best QB in the draft in JJM? That’s paying prime rib prices for a bologna sammich. I’m also not opposed to bringing in multiple QBs in the same draft class. Especially since next year’s QB draft class won’t be able to touch this one (Ewers at number 1, gross). This whole protecting the feelings of millionaires is weird. Like Chicago letting Fields (best backup in the league) go for peanuts, just to protect Caleb’s delicate sensibilities…. What?
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

BeforeIDie wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:07 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:11 am I'm ok with moving up to take Maye. Moving up for JJ would be a huge mistake that would likely get everyone fired in a few years. His ceiling is Tua/ Alex Smith and his floor is Jimmy Clausen. That's not a guy you give up 4 potential impact starters to go get. It's also a guy you will end up paying like an elite QB eventually when he's actually mid. He will put up serviceable stats with JJ and Addison to throw to then ask for the moon. This is what happens when you don't put serious effort in to drafting and developing QBs. The Packers get it. They draft them well in advance thus not having to reach or give up huge assets to do it all while letting them develop. The Lions last year took Hendon Hooker so they have a guy with starting potential when Goff's deal is up. We meanwhile wait until it's desperation mode then give up a haul to get the 4th or 6th ranked guy in the class without elite attributes or much tape to lean on. Taking a flyer on guys late like Hall isn't good enough and leaves you scrambling when the :hitfan:
Excellent point. Why do we wait until we stink of desperation (which will raise the price tag on a trade up cause teams know we NEED IT NOW) to bring in a first round QB prospect? Imagine Penix or Bo Nix, or certainly Maye, sitting for 2 years behind Cousins. Not saying we should have kept Cousins, but should have picked up maybe Will Levis earlier. Now here we are gambling the next 5 years hoping to get, ARGUABLY, the 5th best QB in the draft in JJM? That’s paying prime rib prices for a bologna sammich. I’m also not opposed to bringing in multiple QBs in the same draft class. Especially since next year’s QB draft class won’t be able to touch this one (Ewers at number 1, gross). This whole protecting the feelings of millionaires is weird. Like Chicago letting Fields (best backup in the league) go for peanuts, just to protect Caleb’s delicate sensibilities…. What?
Redskins took RG3 and Cousins in the same draft. Bill Walsh wasn't afraid to bring in Young or try to acquire Marino when he had Montana. It just makes sense.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:08 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:54 am
I don't think the current Pukers QB Love will amount to anything.
I think he had a great season last year and is only 25 with coaching continuity. He started every game, threw for 4,100 yards 32 TDs 11 Ints, ran for about 250, had a perfect passer rating on the road in Dallas to upset the Cowboys in their home. The Vikings are hoping with everything they have that whoever they draft this year will be on Love's level.
I don't think he will amount to much. I could be wrong.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Nix is athletic, accurate, scrambler who pulls big plays out of his a$$ and makes great reads. There's a lot to like. His detractors try to knock his arm strength because Oregon didn't throw long much, but when they did he was fine.

BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

Out of curiosity, I looked up the odds to see if I could get a good jump on Vikings taking JJM. -115. So VEGAS already has JJM as a Viking. The house doesn’t like to lose. It’s best for everyone’s blood pressure to go ahead and start consoling yourself to this. Time to turn on the JJM highlight reels, and start talking yourself into it. “Hey the kid is a proven winner” you may say to yourself. “A national championship doesn’t happen on accident” was a thought I just had, conveniently. Maybe if we do enough mental preparation, we can all pretend to be happy on draft night when Kwesi trades both our first rounders, and more… for JJ Mcarthy. Welcome, young man. I hope I’m wrong.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Bo Nix Pro Day.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:12 pm Nix is athletic, accurate, scrambler who pulls big plays out of his a$$ and makes great reads. There's a lot to like. His detractors try to knock his arm strength because Oregon didn't throw long much, but when they did he was fine.

This class is making the 83 class look weak right now. If Nix and JJ are there who would you take. I would almost rather pick a few QBs in this draft one at 11 and then at 23. Then go for Milton, Pratt ect later on. Take 4. That would be a first but at least your all in. It's a crap shoot anyway no sense going in half a$$. Try to hit with quantity over preconceived quality. If luck is on your side that day you might hit a couple or even one would be worth the risk. It's better than trading the farm away and hoping the one you pick pans out. Prescot and Cousins were 4th rounders. That could be Milton and Pratt this year.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

BeforeIDie wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:45 pm Out of curiosity, I looked up the odds to see if I could get a good jump on Vikings taking JJM. -115. So VEGAS already has JJM as a Viking. The house doesn’t like to lose. It’s best for everyone’s blood pressure to go ahead and start consoling yourself to this. Time to turn on the JJM highlight reels, and start talking yourself into it. “Hey the kid is a proven winner” you may say to yourself. “A national championship doesn’t happen on accident” was a thought I just had, conveniently. Maybe if we do enough mental preparation, we can all pretend to be happy on draft night when Kwesi trades both our first rounders, and more… for JJ Mcarthy. Welcome, young man. I hope I’m wrong.
Looking at the odds was a good idea. JJM is basically the pick at this point. Harbough said he would go earlier than expected so I guess they will trade the farm to get to the spot. It's still early. The guy I don't understand flying up is Jayden D. IMO that's a skinny Fields who would could have obtained for a 6th rounder.
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

CharVike wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:11 pm
BeforeIDie wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:45 pm Out of curiosity, I looked up the odds to see if I could get a good jump on Vikings taking JJM. -115. So VEGAS already has JJM as a Viking. The house doesn’t like to lose. It’s best for everyone’s blood pressure to go ahead and start consoling yourself to this. Time to turn on the JJM highlight reels, and start talking yourself into it. “Hey the kid is a proven winner” you may say to yourself. “A national championship doesn’t happen on accident” was a thought I just had, conveniently. Maybe if we do enough mental preparation, we can all pretend to be happy on draft night when Kwesi trades both our first rounders, and more… for JJ Mcarthy. Welcome, young man. I hope I’m wrong.
Looking at the odds was a good idea. JJM is basically the pick at this point. Harbough said he would go earlier than expected so I guess they will trade the farm to get to the spot. It's still early. The guy I don't understand flying up is Jayden D. IMO that's a skinny Fields who would could have obtained for a 6th rounder.
I’m with you dude. Could’ve had fields for a 6th. Trey Lance for maybe a 3rd (if Dallas wanted to recoup their investment). That’s actually an excellent comparison is Fields and Jayden Daniels. Then we can get Odunze/best DT available with 11, go Penix or Nix with 23 depending on how things play out on draft night, and go into the season with Fields/ROOK - future/Lance. And still have next year’s first rounder. All this sports psychology stuff indicates you can’t do that. People too sensitive, gotta commit to a guy. It’s not MARRIAGE. It’s a millionaire QB that gets tackled by 300 pounders… he can deal with the stress of a QB competition. And if he can’t, then can he take us where we need to go
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

BeforeIDie wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:35 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:11 pm
I’m with you dude. Could’ve had fields for a 6th. Trey Lance for maybe a 3rd (if Dallas wanted to recoup their investment). That’s actually an excellent comparison is Fields and Jayden Daniels. Then we can get Odunze/best DT available with 11, go Penix or Nix with 23 depending on how things play out on draft night, and go into the season with Fields/ROOK - future/Lance. And still have next year’s first rounder. All this sports psychology stuff indicates you can’t do that. People too sensitive, gotta commit to a guy. It’s not MARRIAGE. It’s a millionaire QB that gets tackled by 300 pounders… he can deal with the stress of a QB competition. And if he can’t, then can he take us where we need to go
JJM did play hockey so you know he's tough. Plus he has speed. I'm not saying he will be great or bad because I don't know. They do like somebody and the Chargers want picks. It almost looks like a trade up to 5 and pick their guy. You can't blame them for that.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Here is a possible late round(7) sleeper pick. Mark Gronowski (6'3, 220) South Dakota State. He has impressive highlights. Looks like a pro. Throws some nice passes and actually moves his head off and looks for another guy. You don't see that to often at that level.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:01 am
BeforeIDie wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:35 pm

JJM did play hockey so you know he's tough. Plus he has speed. I'm not saying he will be great or bad because I don't know. They do like somebody and the Chargers want picks. It almost looks like a trade up to 5 and pick their guy. You can't blame them for that.
I don't blame them for moving up for their guy, but let's say for the sake of argument that they could pick any QB in this year's draft. Is JJ McCarthy that guy? Or is he the best of what's left since they don't have that option?

Is the best of what's left worth trading two first rounders to move up to get?

KAM is going to define his time as GM if he does move up, regardless of who he takes. I hope for everyone's sake KOC and he know what they're doing.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:31 pm
CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:01 am
I don't blame them for moving up for their guy, but let's say for the sake of argument that they could pick any QB in this year's draft. Is JJ McCarthy that guy? Or is he the best of what's left since they don't have that option?

Is the best of what's left worth trading two first rounders to move up to get?

KAM is going to define his time as GM if he does move up, regardless of who he takes. I hope for everyone's sake KOC and he know what they're doing.
No the best of what's left isn't worth using our 2 FRPs on. Stick at 11 and pick again at 23.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

cogitator wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:52 am A lot of video here of McCarthy missing throws at the combine (and a trade).

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremia ... -draft-3-0
Definitely wouldn’t say that’s a lot. Most of his misses came on timing routes and a lot of balls were still catchable. He definitely doesn’t have a weak arm, wish he could have ran the 40, I think that’s were he would have surprised people. College reports he run a high 4.4 low 4.5, again that’s not your average athleticism for a qb. Don’t understand all the jj hate tbh.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson