Lions @ Vikings post game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Lions @ Vikings post game

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

I love the fact it was Mike Hughes who couldnt keep up with KJ on the final play. Its so nice after the beat down the Eagles gave us, to win a game a lot of people, including myself, thought the Lions could win. But never ever forget if the Lions have a chance to screw something up, they usually will. :govikes:
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

That ball Kirk threw to KJ was really nice. Did KJ get burn their secondary or did they screw up? I didn't notice. It being Hughes made me smile a little.

We shouldn't have won this game (thats not criticism of anyone single person). I'll take a win however it occurs. That's the nfl. Thin margins.

Gotta figure out what's up with JJ disappearing. Koc needs to scheme open, if defenses are able to make him disappear from a game. At least today AT and KJ both stepped up. Glad both returned from mia world. Mattison likely getting more carries next game. See what Cooks update is. Kirk got the offense in position to win. Not going to complain about that.

Without looking at stats, still seems like we have run defense issues. They didn't have swift 100%. Could have been worse. Not a fan of Donatels defense so far. Older players looking...well..shocker..old.

Field goal kicking was atrocious both ways. I know they were 50+ yd attempts... would feel better if joesph hit one of the two though.

We won. We are 2-1 after 3 games with two divisional wins. I will take it all day long. Now for NOLA to come to town.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:37 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:47 pm The leader and the disciple :lol: Cousins throws a game winning TD but we have to instead mention how easy it was and shoot down cousins getting any credit for winning a game in the clutch. You two crack me up

The final series was good by Cousins. Its just the TD throw was much more KJ being open than Cousins making a great throw. You and your son VV are much more comical.
I didn’t know cousins had to make a “great throw” there for him to be worthy in your book. Bottom line is he made the read, made the throw, as he got hit, under pressure and the Vikings won. THAT is “great”
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

makila wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:51 pm That ball Kirk threw to KJ was really nice. Did KJ get burn their secondary or did they screw up? I didn't notice. It being Hughes made me smile a little.

We shouldn't have won this game (thats not criticism of anyone single person). I'll take a win however it occurs. That's the nfl. Thin margins.

Gotta figure out what's up with JJ disappearing. Koc needs to scheme open, if defenses are able to make him disappear from a game. At least today AT and KJ both stepped up. Glad both returned from mia world. Mattison likely getting more carries next game. See what Cooks update is. Kirk got the offense in position to win. Not going to complain about that.

Without looking at stats, still seems like we have run defense issues. They didn't have swift 100%. Could have been worse. Not a fan of Donatels defense so far. Older players looking...well..shocker..old.

Field goal kicking was atrocious both ways. I know they were 50+ yd attempts... would feel better if joesph hit one of the two though.

We won. We are 2-1 after 3 games with two divisional wins. I will take it all day long. Now for NOLA to come to town.
Solid post. But remember that we play NOLA in London. Weird 8:30 am game next Sunday.

The Saints looked pretty weak today. Kamara has had a ribs issue, but I have PTSD from him scoring at will on us in the past, so we'll see how we do. Winston is hurt too, but we have a knack for making backup QBs look amazing, so if Andy Dalton gets in, look out! In all seriousness, though, I do like our chances against the Taints.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Ah thank you, I actually totally forgot it was in London!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

This one wasn't televised in my area, and I'm not spending any money for NFL products. Sounds like it started ugly and ended well.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

At the game, with my usual All-11 view from the end zone, 40th row. LOVE those seats.

Guys, don’t kid yourselves. Detroit is better than they’ve been in a long time. They’re VERY physical, especially in the defensive backfield. Honestly, the refs could’ve called them for holding, illegal contact or DPI on virtually every play. I was watching JJ a lot … he was being pressed, and he couldn’t break free. Thielen was held on almost every route he ran. It was frustrating, but credit to Dan Campbell. It’s almost as if his strategy was “we’re going to knock them around and count on the officials ‘letting them play.’”

I know a lot of you were ticked with Cousins. From where I sat, again from a perfect all-22 position, he had very few open receivers. The O-line did a decent job keeping him clean, but again the Lions were very physical in the secondary. Cousins did overthrow KJ Osborn on a sure TD I believe in the second quarter, but for the most part, he didn’t have many guys running free.

A lot of credit needs to go to KOC. He adjusted his game plan, not only from the Philly game, but also as this game rolled along. He could see they were running JJ off his routes, so he got Thielen some targets, the tight ends some targets, and Osborn late. He also got the running game back on track. Ben Leber interviewed KOC for the radio after the game and found that KOC and Wes Phillips were actually redesigning plays on the fly and even drawing up new ones. We never had that with the Kubiaks, Stefanski, Flip or Norv.

Mostly I’m happy that the Vikings overcame adversity. They got their butts kicked at Philly, and it didn’t look good early in this game. But they stayed with it and pulled out a tough division game. Need to improve some things before the Saints game. We had a heck of a time getting pressure on Goff … need to get pressure on Winston, who is very turnover prone when flushed.

Finally, a tip of the cap in thanks to Dan Campbell. The decision to try the long field goal was monumentally stupid, and the timeout he called after the 29-yard completion to KJ was a real head scratcher. Why let the Vikings regroup after a completion with the clock running? We likely would have clocked it there anyway. It looks to me that Campbell operates a lot on emotion. I’ll take it.

Bottom line: We’re 2-1 and in first place in a division that might not be as weak as the prognosticators thought. Now let’s beat the hated Saints.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Cliff wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:22 pm Fun game to watch.

Kirk had me cussing him but when the game was on the line he came through. It's what we've all been looking for.

I'm still skeptical of his ability to continually have that kind of success but he did today and I'll take it.

Cook being out is worrying.
Sounds like a dislocated shoulder and he will play with a harness Sunday.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:34 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:39 pm Any QB could have thrown to a wide open Osborne though.
:lol: You just can’t bring yourself to do it. It’s physically impossible for you
To do what?
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

We have to remember we have a new HC with all that entails, who hasn’t called plays (at least in a while), almost entirely new coaching staff, and new schemes on offense and defense. It’s going to take some time for the team to click on all cylinders. I am more concerned about the defense though. However I am impressed that they were able to pull that game out even though Campbell made some coaching gaffes. Regardless, to their credit the Vikes took advantage.

Even though it was ugly sometimes a win like this can propel a team. At least we can hope that’s the case. Hey we’re in first place after three games! :govikes:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Watching San Fran and Denver.

Holy heck, did we dodge a bullet staying away from Nathaniel Hackett. The Broncos have six 3-and-outs in eight drives. It’s absolutely putrid.

It’s a little frustrating right now waiting for the Vikings’ offense to get going like many of us believe it can. But at least Kevin O’Connell has a clue.

If Denver loses this game, the great AFC West will have three 1-2 teams. Meanwhile, the weak NFC North has three 2-1 teams.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:37 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:34 pm

:lol: You just can’t bring yourself to do it. It’s physically impossible for you
To do what?
I’ll let you figure that one out :D
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:21 pm Watching San Fran and Denver.

Holy heck, did we dodge a bullet staying away from Nathaniel Hackett. The Broncos have six 3-and-outs in eight drives. It’s absolutely putrid.

It’s a little frustrating right now waiting for the Vikings’ offense to get going like many of us believe it can. But at least Kevin O’Connell has a clue.

If Denver loses this game, the great AFC West will have three 1-2 teams. Meanwhile, the weak NFC North has three 2-1 teams.
Agreed. Hackett looks like he’s in over his head. However they are going to squeak one out because San Fran played that bad
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:33 pm At the game, with my usual All-11 view from the end zone, 40th row. LOVE those seats.

Guys, don’t kid yourselves. Detroit is better than they’ve been in a long time. They’re VERY physical, especially in the defensive backfield. Honestly, the refs could’ve called them for holding, illegal contact or DPI on virtually every play. I was watching JJ a lot … he was being pressed, and he couldn’t break free. Thielen was held on almost every route he ran. It was frustrating, but credit to Dan Campbell. It’s almost as if his strategy was “we’re going to knock them around and count on the officials ‘letting them play.’”

I know a lot of you were ticked with Cousins. From where I sat, again from a perfect all-22 position, he had very few open receivers. The O-line did a decent job keeping him clean, but again the Lions were very physical in the secondary. Cousins did overthrow KJ Osborn on a sure TD I believe in the second quarter, but for the most part, he didn’t have many guys running free.

A lot of credit needs to go to KOC. He adjusted his game plan, not only from the Philly game, but also as this game rolled along. He could see they were running JJ off his routes, so he got Thielen some targets, the tight ends some targets, and Osborn late. He also got the running game back on track. Ben Leber interviewed KOC for the radio after the game and found that KOC and Wes Phillips were actually redesigning plays on the fly and even drawing up new ones. We never had that with the Kubiaks, Stefanski, Flip or Norv.

Mostly I’m happy that the Vikings overcame adversity. They got their butts kicked at Philly, and it didn’t look good early in this game. But they stayed with it and pulled out a tough division game. Need to improve some things before the Saints game. We had a heck of a time getting pressure on Goff … need to get pressure on Winston, who is very turnover prone when flushed.

Finally, a tip of the cap in thanks to Dan Campbell. The decision to try the long field goal was monumentally stupid, and the timeout he called after the 29-yard completion to KJ was a real head scratcher. Why let the Vikings regroup after a completion with the clock running? We likely would have clocked it there anyway. It looks to me that Campbell operates a lot on emotion. I’ll take it.

Bottom line: We’re 2-1 and in first place in a division that might not be as weak as the prognosticators thought. Now let’s beat the hated Saints.
Great post kapp. Love hearing quality analysis from you. We’ve beat the next two strongest teams in our division. That’s huge especially when playoff time comes. The saints have a good defense but a fairly weak offense. We need to capitalize against this team and put them away. There’s a very realistic possibility that we start off the season 4-1 heading into Miami. Love the resilience I saw in this team today. Especially when you look across the league. No game is a given. Hell KC lost to Indy who’s dropped games to Jacksonville and tied Houston. Couldn’t get out of their own way and somehow beat KC. No matter how down a team is and how well a team is playing, it really doesn’t matter come game time. You’ve gotta show up and fight for 4 quarters. Last week was a team loss, this week was 100% a team win
-Chazz Palminteri
Iron Lion
Backup

Post by Iron Lion »

Lol talking trash I see. Gg. Looking forward to the next one. Could also go either way.