Vikings Serious About Suh

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikings Serious About Suh

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:51 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:42 am As for Suh, I wouldnt be opposed to this signing simply because interior pass rush does worry me. Both Phillips and Tomlinson arent known pass rushers. Watts can do some damage but Suh is definitely tempting. But if I had to choose one FA to spend money on, it would be JC Tretter over Suh.
This is where I stand. We've got fairly deep group of D-linemen who aren't 35 and expensive (recognizing that Tretter is 31). OTOH, our center is holding our offense back.

It's not that I think Suh is garbage. It's that I believe the scarce resources could be better spent.
We cant afford Tretter. Suh would come 3-4 million I think.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:02 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:51 am
This is where I stand. We've got fairly deep group of D-linemen who aren't 35 and expensive (recognizing that Tretter is 31). OTOH, our center is holding our offense back.

It's not that I think Suh is garbage. It's that I believe the scarce resources could be better spent.
We cant afford Tretter. Suh would come 3-4 million I think.
The Vikings have $10.9 million in cap space with only 2 rookies still to sign. They can afford Tretter.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Is the interior DL really where the Vikings need to improve at this point? It would be one thing if it were an obvious weakness, but assuming they remain healthy there I don't think it's an area that warrants further spending.

As to the specific player, Suh overall is at the tail end of his career anyway. Beyond his name recognition, I don't think he would bring much to the Vikings even if he came cheap.

If the Vikings still have dollars to spend, they should focus those on weak spots like center if there are any players who would be upgrades.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:42 pm Is the interior DL really where the Vikings need to improve at this point? It would be one thing if it were an obvious weakness, but assuming they remain healthy there I don't think it's an area that warrants further spending.

As to the specific player, Suh overall is at the tail end of his career anyway. Beyond his name recognition, I don't think he would bring much to the Vikings even if he came cheap.

If the Vikings still have dollars to spend, they should focus those on weak spots like center if there are any players who would be upgrades.
Many talk about having dollars and it will solve problems. People need to realize teams don't give their top players the boot and that's why there is always a very limited amount of top level talent in FA. And if there are a few top level players you will need to overpay about 30% or higher to get them. I wish the Rams will cut CB Ramsey who is as close to shut down as you can get. He won't be cut until he is washed up. We already have that with PP. Suh is washed up and at most is a spot player. A true shut down corner and a cornerstone center/guard are more important right now.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:08 am
VikingLord wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:42 pm Is the interior DL really where the Vikings need to improve at this point? It would be one thing if it were an obvious weakness, but assuming they remain healthy there I don't think it's an area that warrants further spending.

Many talk about having dollars and it will solve problems. People need to realize teams don't give their top players the boot and that's why there is always a very limited amount of top level talent in FA. And if there are a few top level players you will need to overpay about 30% or higher to get them. I wish the Rams will cut CB Ramsey who is as close to shut down as you can get. He won't be cut until he is washed up. We already have that with PP. Suh is washed up and at most is a spot player. A true shut down corner and a cornerstone center/guard are more important right now.
Weird you bring up Ramsey since he was a guy who switched teams. It took a trade, but he was traded in large part because the Jags didn't think they could keep him.

With an extra 35 million in cap this season the Vikings could have signed - 2022 cap hits:
JC Jackson - 8 million
James Daniels - 4.1 million
Brandon Scherff - 8 million
DJ Reed - 4.6 Million
Akiem Hicks - 8 million

If the roadblock with signing Tretter is truly money and not something else, they could add him and not Daniels since Cleveland is probably good enough at guard and not much of a downgrade from Daniels.

An expensive way to build a team and the Vikings wouldn't be able to add anything next season, but having extra cap space can make the team better.
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Post by Fat Stupid Loser »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:45 am
CharVike wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:41 pm
That has been the history. Washington offered him a long term deal and he didn't take it.
What are you talking about, Washington offered Cousins a 3 year deal.
Then they signed him twice to one year deals. If he sucked they wouldn't have offered those high one year franchise deals. Just tell him to get lost.
The first franchise tag was a non-exclusive tag, meaning any team could have given up a couple of 1st for Cousins and gotten him if Washington didn't match their contract offer. They then gave Alex Smith more money than they offered Cousins, which just shows you how they really felt about the QB.
Tom Brady had this once four years and $72M were for the 2011 through 2014 seasons and it had a record amount of guaranteed money and was the biggest contract in NFL history. Only 4 years. That's not long term. Now he's on a 2 year deal and is playing as well as he ever did and shows no sign of slowing up. He could play another decade or maybe 2 more.
What does that have to do with anything?

Cousins, at the peak of his value when he hit free agency wanted a fully guaranteed deal over 3 years. Did something change where he no longer wants a 3 year, fully guaranteed deal, or has his value declined to the point he can no longer ask for that? The Packers are all in on their QB and gave him 150 million fully guaranteed. The Vikings gave their QB 35 million. Which team actually believes in their QB and which team settled, afraid to bottom out?
Brucifer Allen. Logic, decency and rationality cannot be applied. Looking at anything Washington did during his reign and what the rest of the league would do is not apples to apples. Its apples to dead baby bunnies.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Looks like we weren't that serious about Suh or we would have signed him by now.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:12 am Looks like we weren't that serious about Suh or we would have signed him by now.
Suh is visiting the Raiders too so Suh is deciding what team to sign with so that is why Vikings have not signed him yet
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingsFan84 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:39 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:12 am Looks like we weren't that serious about Suh or we would have signed him by now.
Suh is visiting the Raiders too so Suh is deciding what team to sign with so that is why Vikings have not signed him yet
True, but it shouldn't take three weeks to figure this stuff out.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Suh would be a good guy to add to the rotation or start. He still has rare strength and brings attitude to a defense. He doesn't commit the dumb penalties as much as he used to and is always healthy.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Latest on Suh being considered by Vikings and vice versa.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Vikings waived Nate Stanley opening up a roster spot.

Suh signing on the horizon?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:44 pm Vikings waived Nate Stanley opening up a roster spot.

Suh signing on the horizon?
I thought it would be safe to read your post in this thread so I opened it. Glad to hear we got rid of Stanley Steamer.