Post Draft thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Post Draft thoughts

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:06 am
Texas Vike wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:28 am

No one has any trouble understanding anything. I just don't think you are representing reality in an objective way, due to your love of Rick.

You say RS would trade down 5 spots and additionally get a 7th as a bonus. It's not lost on me what he was doing. Here's what you are not recognizing: he would do that 4 times in a row (as in the (in)famous 2019 draft), thus he would ultimately move back 20+ spots and by doing so he'd stockpile 6th and 7th round picks.

Kwesi similarly moved down 20 spots in the first round of this draft. But here's the difference: Rick's 6th and 7th rounders NEVER made any impact. If they had, we wouldn't be lacking so much depth on D. Those picks would routinely be training camp fodder. OTOH, I'm willing to bet that Cine and Booth will make contributions.
So since he traded down that far one time in 2019, that means "Rick loves stockpiling 7th rounders"? Most of his 7th round picks came from throw in picks or compensatory picks given by the league.

You cant sit there and tell me that if we still had Rick and he did EXACTLY what Kwesi did, people wouldnt be blowing a lid over it. I can 1000% guarantee people would be in an uproar. "Trader Rick this.. and Trader Rick that". And "all he ever wants to do is trade down". Blah blah blah.

I believe Cine and Booth will both make contributions too. But it was just last year where Rick traded down in round 1 and landed Christian Darrisaw who also made a big contribution. With that trade it also landed us Mond and Davis who the jury is still out on.

Point is, this whole trading back thing with Rick is massively overblown IMO. I wasnt even mad that Kwesi did. I just believe he should've gotten more than what he got in terms of draft pick capital. If there are a lot of guys you like in the middle rounds or whatever it may be, moving back is smart.

Nobody will ever be able to convince me that drafting 7 players over 10 players gives you a better chance to hit. When you get to the mid to late rounds, your hit rate drastically drops. So if I could have one 5th round pick or lets say three 7th round picks, I take three 7ths any day of the week.

Again, since I like to squeeze late round picks out of people in trades in fantasy football, does that mean I like "stockpiling late round picks"? Or am I simply squeezing everything I can out of my trade and taking a chance on one more player?
Trader Rick is not a myth by a long shot, he made around 35 draft day trades between 2014 and 2021. I would wager that this number is the highest of any GM in the league during those years. OTOH, I looked at the actual trades and I do agree that his tendencies got exaggerated by many in the fanbase, including me. It was often 6th (not 7th rounders) that he stockpiled, and he did use them to move up numerous times. I'd forgotten that.

You latched onto one aspect of my original point. My main beef with RS is his horrible record drafting talent, especially in the 1st round. Just look at how few were signed to 5th year tenders and you will see the franchise, itself, admits that they were failures. Bradbury is the latest in a pretty long line. And that isn't simply "unfortunate" as another poster states above. That's poor drafting. I'm sure you won't agree with that either, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Last edited by Texas Vike on Thu May 05, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:00 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:22 pm

Yeah in my league you can. I do an offline dynasty keeper league I've been running for 19 years now. So lets say you and I wanted to trade. If you offer me your 2nd and 3rd round pick for my 1st round pick lets say, it just means my draft would be ending one round earlier than yours because I gained an extra pick. So in a 20 round draft, I'd only be picking to round 19. Although we have a 9 keeper max in my league. So I'd only be picking to round 10 not 11.
That's very strange. So what happens to a team if they run out of draft picks. They have to wait until Free agency to fill their roster?
You dont run out of picks. You start with 9 keepers max on your roster. Depending on the amount of keepers you have is how many rounds you draft. So if I have a full 9 keepers, I draft 11 rounds to fill out my roster of 20. But if I have two picks in one round lets say, I would only draft until round 10. You're just drafting until you have a full roster of 20 like any other league. You can just have multiple picks in one round. All that means is you're drafting a round less in the end. I could only be drafting to round 10 to fulfill my 20 roster spots but you may be drafting up to round 13 if you maybe didnt have a full slate of 9 keepers or trade away multiple picks.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

PFF's analysis of NFC North draft

They have the most comparable NFL player to Christian Watson being Marquez Valdez-Scantling. This hand wringing over the Puke getting him is just paranoia.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:30 pm PFF's analysis of NFC North draft

They have the most comparable NFL player to Christian Watson being Marquez Valdez-Scantling. This hand wringing over the Puke getting him is just paranoia.
Solid video, thanks for posting it.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Back in the day's of yesteryear I recall the Viking were gungho about getting their draft picks signed. In recent years we seem to be one of the least proactive teams in this. IIRC Green Bay had all of their picks signed almost immediately except for the WR savior they got in the deal with us. So far the Vikings have signed their first pick and picks in the 5-7 rounds. None of the 4 in the 2-3-4th rounds.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Is there some kind of OTA or minicamp going on this week?
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:51 pm Is there some kind of OTA or minicamp going on this week?
https://www.vikings.com/news/kevin-ocon ... e-minicamp

Just this as far as I can tell.
i'm ready for a beer.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

vikeinmontana wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:09 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:51 pm Is there some kind of OTA or minicamp going on this week?
https://www.vikings.com/news/kevin-ocon ... e-minicamp

Just this as far as I can tell.
Thanks, but that was the rookie camp. I thought I heard O'Connell talking about something coming right after being the reason they waited a week on the rookie camp. So they could finish that and just stick around for the next.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Dalvin Cook Presser from today I think.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:30 pm PFF's analysis of NFC North draft

They are both athletic freaks, are similar size and build and both were drafted by GB. After that the similarities end with Watson being widely considered a bottom 1st, early 2nd prospect by people who are good enough to work for an NFL team versus PFF, while Scantling was a late round prospect based on the opinions of those same NFL scouts.

Watched a lot of Watson this past year and he is by far the smoothest, catch-to-run WR I have ever seen. Even on routes where he is coming back to the QB he is somehow able to catch the ball and get up field as if his momentum was already moving that direction before the catch. If he can acclimate well to the NFL he will be a YAC machine.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Danielle Hunter Presser

Hope you don't mind me posting all these, but I thought you might be interested.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

OTAs are going on today.
Purple for the win take on the OTA.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:22 pm

They are both athletic freaks, are similar size and build and both were drafted by GB. After that the similarities end with Watson being widely considered a bottom 1st, early 2nd prospect by people who are good enough to work for an NFL team versus PFF, while Scantling was a late round prospect based on the opinions of those same NFL scouts.

Watched a lot of Watson this past year and he is by far the smoothest, catch-to-run WR I have ever seen. Even on routes where he is coming back to the QB he is somehow able to catch the ball and get up field as if his momentum was already moving that direction before the catch. If he can acclimate well to the NFL he will be a YAC machine.
I am not concerned in the least. Watson, IMO, is a combine, showcase, and measurables guy. He had a great season in the FBS, but didn't he lead all of college football in drops? Maybe not realistic, but I thought he had like 18 drops !!! I may be very wrong.
He was going against FBS CB's. Playing for the most dominant FBS program the past decade. He may have NFL ability, but who was pressing him? Was he just outrunning guys? I do not recall a single DB that was drafted out of an FBS program this year.
I am sure that were some, but not positive. Honestly, a brilliant trade. I would lock Booth up on him all day and I bet he completely shuts him out. Just a very different talent level that they have competed against every day of practice and games!
Plus we added an OL that looks like might be a legit starting OG very soon. That trade, we win all day long IMO.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

IIsweet wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:36 am

I am not concerned in the least. Watson, IMO, is a combine, showcase, and measurables guy. He had a great season in the FBS, but didn't he lead all of college football in drops? Maybe not realistic, but I thought he had like 18 drops !!! I may be very wrong.
He was going against FBS CB's. Playing for the most dominant FBS program the past decade. He may have NFL ability, but who was pressing him? Was he just outrunning guys? I do not recall a single DB that was drafted out of an FBS program this year.
I am sure that were some, but not positive. Honestly, a brilliant trade. I would lock Booth up on him all day and I bet he completely shuts him out. Just a very different talent level that they have competed against every day of practice and games!
Plus we added an OL that looks like might be a legit starting OG very soon. That trade, we win all day long IMO.
Think you mean FCS.

As a season-ticket holder at an FCS school, I'll always maintain that the only difference between FCS and FBS is depth. We've come along way in the last 15+ years, and I think it's only a matter of time before the stigma of playing in the FCS is gone. People said the EXACT same things about Cooper Kupp when he was torching the Big Sky conference. No way he'd have success in the NFL only playing in the FCS. They said the same thing about Jared Allen. And Carson Wentz. And Trey Lance. And basically every other kid who dominated the FCS and went on to the NFL.

I saw Watson a handful of games the last couple years, including the National Championship game this season. (Which is hands-down a better format than the stupid Bowl system :whistle: ) and it's clear the guy is a player. Some of the best route-running I have seen. Though I got laughed at when I said the same thing about Kupp years ago. I think he went into a perfect system and I expect him to have success.
i'm ready for a beer.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

IIsweet wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:36 am

:bowdown: :beerock: Thank you. Watson may after a few years turn out to be a good WR. He's got a long way to go. Rodgers will be gone before Watson accomplishes anything.