Website Banner Voting Round 3

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pick 3 players to go on the banner

Adrian Peterson
No votes
Ahmad Rashad
No votes
Carl Eller
No votes
Chris Doleman
No votes
Chuck Foreman
No votes
Cris Carter
No votes
Fran Tarkenton
No votes
Jared Allen
No votes
Jerry Burns
No votes
Jim Marshall
No votes
Joe Kapp
No votes
Joey Browner
No votes
Korey Stringer
No votes
Mick Tingelhoff
No votes
Paul Krause
No votes
Randall McDaniel
No votes
Ron Yary
No votes
Scott Studwell
No votes
Tommy Kramer
No votes

Total votes: 0

Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Website Banner Voting Round 3

Post by Thaumaturgist »

allday1991 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:24 am
Cliff wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:33 am

Honestly, I don't want him on either. The board was divided and ultimately shut down for a while over the issue he had. I should have never made him an option in retrospect.
13 votes for yes, 3 complaints, what ever happened to majority rules? If social media was around back in the day 90% of these guys would of ended up offending someone.
Majority rules in a democracy. This doesn't happen to be a democracy. Cliff can make whatever decision he feels is best for the website that he runs/hosts. Again, I'd be OK either way and this thread is the last you'd hear about it. It's not worth getting upset over. It's a banner on a website guys.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:00 pm
Cliff wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:52 pm

Meh, I don't see what anyone is losing. The board will still pick the players, Peterson is just off the table. It's the website banner, not the hall of fame or anything.
It's lose/lose because putting him on the banner would bother some people and not putting him on the banner would bother others. Either way you are alienating Vikings fans.
If having Adrian Peterson on a website banner really bothers people, I guess that goes to show how sensitive society is today. Just being honest here. Like many are saying, it's just a website banner. Well if that's the case, having him on the banner shouldn't be putting people into an uproar either.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:37 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:00 pm
It's lose/lose because putting him on the banner would bother some people and not putting him on the banner would bother others. Either way you are alienating Vikings fans.
If having Adrian Peterson on a website banner really bothers people, I guess that goes to show how sensitive society is today. Just being honest here. Like many are saying, it's just a website banner. Well if that's the case, having him on the banner shouldn't be putting people into an uproar either.
Some see athletes as role models. I see them as entertainers. Peterson entertained me. I still didn't vote for him. I had others I liked better.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:42 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:37 am

Some see athletes as role models. I see them as entertainers. Peterson entertained me. I still didn't vote for him. I had others I liked better.
Right some do see athletes as role models.....more so kids, not grown adults. If you simply liked others better than AP, that's fine. But if you dont want to see AP up there because you will be offended or it will bother you, or you would threaten to leave the board over it, then I'd truly have to question your manhood. We're all grown men here guys. I would hope everyone has enough common sense that if AP was voted on, we're all condoning him as a football player, not how he is as a parent.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:26 am I'd truly have to question your manhood.
:shock:
Really? You have no idea of what someone may or may not have went through as a child. Don't go there.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Thaumaturgist wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:09 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:26 am I'd truly have to question your manhood.
Really? You have no idea of what someone may or may not have went through as a child. Don't go there.
PHP I think you went overboard on that. I have to side with Thaumaturgist here.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Thaumaturgist wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:09 pm
Not trying to go there at all. Again, you're missing the point. We're condoning AP as a football player, not a father. It's a website banner for a football forum. Not a parenting forum. There should be no reason someone is offended over AP in a Vikings uniform on a website banner. It's not going to be a picture of him holding his kid with a speech bubble that says "I'm a good Dad".

Like I said, we're all grown men here. If AP running a football is a Vikings uniform is going to somehow offend people on this board, then I suggest they stay off the internet because you can literally see that anywhere.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:12 pm
Thaumaturgist wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:09 pm :shock:
PHP I think you went overboard on that. I have to side with Thaumaturgist here.
Questioning someone's manhood if they get offended by literally seeing a picture of Adrian Peterson running a football? What is overboard about that? Why should that offend anyone? Again, if seeing that offends you, the internet is not a good place for you.
-Chazz Palminteri
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:25 pm
Thaumaturgist wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:09 pm :shock:
Not trying to go there at all. Again, you're missing the point. We're condoning AP as a football player, not a father. It's a website banner for a football forum. Not a parenting forum. There should be no reason someone is offended over AP in a Vikings uniform on a website banner. It's not going to be a picture of him holding his kid with a speech bubble that says "I'm a good Dad".

Like I said, we're all grown men here. If AP running a football is a Vikings uniform is going to somehow offend people on this board, then I suggest they stay off the internet because you can literally see that anywhere.
OK, agree to disagree. If you can't see why people may be offended to have a convicted/admitted child abuser as a representation of the MN Vikings, then I don't know what else to tell you. And to question their "Manhood" over it did cross the line IMHO. Listen I have said, if he's on the banner, it's the last you'd ever hear from me on the subject. I wouldn't get mad/upset and quit the forum because of it, but that doesn't mean that I would want him representing the best of the MN Vikings. While he was/is one of the best football players for the Vikings that doesn't mean he should represent what we as a team/society want to represent. Let's say for arguments sake that Darren Sharper was on this list. He was a great football player, but I don't think he should ever represent our organization... We may not all be men here (I know there are some women forum members), but let's stand up for those who don't have a voice, and for those whose voice is too small to be heard.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:38 pm

OK, agree to disagree. If you can't see why people may be offended to have a convicted/admitted child abuser as a representation of the MN Vikings, then I don't know what else to tell you. And to question their "Manhood" over it did cross the line IMHO. Listen I have said, if he's on the banner, it's the last you'd ever hear from me on the subject. I wouldn't get mad/upset and quit the forum because of it, but that doesn't mean that I would want him representing the best of the MN Vikings. While he was/is one of the best football players for the Vikings that doesn't mean he should represent what we as a team/society want to represent. Let's say for arguments sake that Darren Sharper was on this list. He was a great football player, but I don't think he should ever represent our organization... We may not all be men here (I know there are some women forum members), but let's stand up for those who don't have a voice, and for those whose voice is too small to be heard.
And our first round vote in apparently had off season drug/whore parties along with half the team on some boat, sounds like a horrible role model, let’s take Moss off too! This is sarcasm of course but seriously, acting like we actually know if these people are good people or not is foolish, none of us know them personally. As mentioned before social media makes everything everyone’s business, if social media was around back when 90% of these players would be eliminated due to some racial or sexist remark.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Thaumaturgist wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:38 pm

Whether people like it or not, Adrian Peterson is always going to represent the Minnesota Vikings given how good of a player he was. That's not going to just go away. There are plenty of Vikings websites where you can see pictures of Adrian Peterson. Hell, Bleacher Reports main Vikings page has a picture of AP plastered on it. I dont know anyone that's not getting on Bleacher Report because there's a picture of AP on there. It's a picture. There are much more "offensive" things all over the internet.

We have guys in here saying "guys it's a website banner" like it's no big deal yet now we cant put AP up there because "people might be offended". Well which way is it then? Is the banner a big deal or not? If it's not a big deal, no reason for people to get offended over that. Again, it's a simple picture of AP the FOOTBALL PLAYER. You're acting like I'm condoning child abuse or something. Never once agreed with what he did but at the same time I also know he was a great football player. If pictures of Adrian Peterson offend people, no website should ever use one
-Chazz Palminteri
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

allday1991 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:47 pm And our first round vote in apparently had off season drug/whore parties along with half the team on some boat, sounds like a horrible role model, let’s take Moss off too! This is sarcasm of course but seriously, acting like we actually know if these people are good people or not is foolish, none of us know them personally. As mentioned before social media makes everything everyone’s business, if social media was around back when 90% of these players would be eliminated due to some racial or sexist remark.
You're right, and I did vote for Moss.

I don't act like I know if these people are good or not... Heck, we sometimes don't know if our neighbors or family members that we know personally are "good". Do you have an actual issue with what I have said, or is your argument reduced to "Yea, but look at <Fill in the blank>?" That's a pretty big straw man... What we do know is what he plead to and was convicted of. Period. That's all we know. For me that's enough.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Thaumaturgist wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:54 pm
allday1991 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:47 pm And our first round vote in apparently had off season drug/whore parties along with half the team on some boat, sounds like a horrible role model, let’s take Moss off too! This is sarcasm of course but seriously, acting like we actually know if these people are good people or not is foolish, none of us know them personally. As mentioned before social media makes everything everyone’s business, if social media was around back when 90% of these players would be eliminated due to some racial or sexist remark.
You're right, and I did vote for Moss.

I don't act like I know if these people are good or not... Heck, we sometimes don't know if our neighbors or family members that we know personally are "good". Do you have an actual issue with what I have said, or is your argument reduced to "Yea, but look at <Fill in the blank>?" That's a pretty big straw man... What we do know is what he plead to and was convicted of. Period. That's all we know. For me that's enough.
IMO Randy Moss is a good person, but like everybody he has some flaws.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Bowing out... I've said my piece, and for the record I'm not offended by a picture of Adrian Peterson... That's silly... That's like saying I'm offended by a picture of <Insert picture of someone who did something wrong>. It's not necessarily the picture that's insulting. It's by putting that picture on a pedestal and saying "Look at this amazing person!" There is a difference between ESPN.com writing about the best RB's and choosing to display AP as some role model. At the end of the day, I said it once, and I'll say it again. It's a banner on a football forum. I'm not going to be upset by it, but honestly asking the question: Is this what "VikingsMessageBoard.com" wants to represent? Maybe it's just a philosophical difference in what the banner should represent...

Again, bowing out, I won't say anything more on it as I've said my piece and I don't seem to have the words to change anyone's mind.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

All I'm saying is that it's simply a picture. I'm not questioning anyone's manhood if they were abused as a child. That's not even remotely close to what I am referring to. The manhood I question is if you get offended by a picture of a football player on a football website banner. Again, we're condoning APs football abilities. Not his parenting. If this was a forum on how to parent, I'd agree with you and say he wouldnt belong up there.
-Chazz Palminteri