Kirk Cousins calls a meeting this offseason....

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Kirk Cousins calls a meeting this offseason....

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-viki ... ws-rumors/

Pretty encouraging to see this. Maybe Cousins feels like he actually has a voice in this locker room now. Supposedly he blew his teammates away with what he said in this meeting. It's a good read. However it's an even better listen on Ben Leber's podcast. If you go to his latest podcast and fast forward to an hour and ten minutes you can listen to it directly from him.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Kirk Cousins calls a meeting this offseason....

Post by Dames »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:57 am https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-viki ... ws-rumors/

Pretty encouraging to see this. Maybe Cousins feels like he actually has a voice in this locker room now. Supposedly he blew his teammates away with what he said in this meeting. It's a good read. However it's an even better listen on Ben Leber's podcast. If you go to his latest podcast and fast forward to an hour and ten minutes you can listen to it directly from him.
It's very encouraging. I hope it translates on the field. Leber seemed surprised and impressed as well.
Damian
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Leber has clearly not been a big Cousins supporter so this carries a bit more weight.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Im not sure Cousins could call a leadership meeting and keep anyone's attention. But at least hes working on it. :appl:
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:06 am Leber has clearly not been a big Cousins supporter so this carries a bit more weight.
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:06 am Leber has clearly not been a big Cousins supporter so this carries a bit more weight.
Leber is the biggest Cousins supporters on KFAN.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

This will be Cousins' fourth transformation in four years. Hopefully this one works out.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:57 am https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-viki ... ws-rumors/

I'm sure KOC championed this. I would imagine he told Kirk it's your ship don't let it sink. Zim did the opposite and sunk the ship first and told Kirk to pull it off the bottom when/if I need it. Until then these life vest work fine.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:34 am

I'm sure KOC championed this. I would imagine he told Kirk it's your ship don't let it sink. Zim did the opposite and sunk the ship first and told Kirk to pull it off the bottom when/if I need it. Until then these life vest work fine.
Where are you getting this information?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:29 am
Just listening to this podcast where he praised Cousins he was mostly negative. If that's what you consider a supporter I'd hate to hear the detractors.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:03 am
CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:34 am
Where are you getting this information?
It's my thoughts. This isn't a Zim deal where it's my way or the highway. You know the communication thing called collaboration that they all talked about. In Zim's world nobody talked but him. Him and Rick didn't speak and IMO that went on much longer than crybaby hinted. Get use to a new approach. The D coordinator will be allowed to run his piece. Same with the other two guys. However the HC will set the vision and structure and provide input.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:08 pm In Zim's world nobody talked but him. Him and Rick didn't speak and IMO that went on much longer than crybaby hinted.
Who is the crybaby exactly?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Not sure what to think about this super-secret meeting of stars (who exactly were they?).

On one hand, if you're 33 years old and going into your 11th year in the league, you pretty much are who you are as a leader. And if you've just finished your fourth year with the Vikings, and just now they're finally saying "Kirk's my dawg," it doesn't resonate all that much with me.

On the other hand, given the debacle of last year with the coaching staff and GM, galvanizing the team for any reason is a good thing.

In all, it probably won't matter much in the long run. Kirk had notes at this meeting. He was prepared. Kirk is good at preparing with notes. That's never been a question. The question is whether he can be "a dawg" when protection breaks down, or after he throws a pick, or late in the game against a good team.

The Vikings have gone all-in on Kirk. So I definitely hope that KOC can do what he claims he can do, which is to take Cousins to another level. That's what's going to determine his level of dawg, not a meeting.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:37 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:29 am

Just listening to this podcast where he praised Cousins he was mostly negative. If that's what you consider a supporter I'd hate to hear the detractors.
Are you referring to how he talked about drafting Kirk's replacement? When 0 NFL teams have any interest in trading for your QB and would prefer the corpse of Matt Ryan, that isn't being negative, that is being realistic.

Leber and Charch are both Kirk apologists and both went out of their way to excuse Kirk being a complete failure as a QB. If those guys aren't Kirk supporters, than you might be the only one left.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:19 pm Not sure what to think about this super-secret meeting of stars (who exactly were they?).

On one hand, if you're 33 years old and going into your 11th year in the league, you pretty much are who you are as a leader. And if you've just finished your fourth year with the Vikings, and just now they're finally saying "Kirk's my dawg," it doesn't resonate all that much with me.

On the other hand, given the debacle of last year with the coaching staff and GM, galvanizing the team for any reason is a good thing.

In all, it probably won't matter much in the long run. Kirk had notes at this meeting. He was prepared. Kirk is good at preparing with notes. That's never been a question. The question is whether he can be "a dawg" when protection breaks down, or after he throws a pick, or late in the game against a good team.

The Vikings have gone all-in on Kirk. So I definitely hope that KOC can do what he claims he can do, which is to take Cousins to another level. That's what's going to determine his level of dawg, not a meeting.
The very fact he needed this meeting is all you need to know about Kirk's leadership. Allen, Rodgers, Brady, Burrow, Stafford, Jackson, Wilson and the like don't need secret meetings to show they are a leader. Kirk does.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I feel that he was so handcuffed with Zimmer that we had a QB who is a great thrower of the football, but had tight reins on him. He never got to showcase his ability without it being a calculated risk that favored heavily in our favor. Makes me wonder if the sideline altercation between Cousins and Zim was Kirk saying, "I told you that if you let us do this and that, we would score" !!!
I think that KOC says, cut it loose, sling it, we are going to find the mismatches and exploit them. it is time to look for that big play, and hit it! Prior regime was, do not lose the game. Hold onto the ball. Get a 1st down. Run out the clock. It is the same philosophy as Kirk Ferentz at Iowa. If we can run the clock and not make mistakes, it will be a close game in the end. Then if we continue to execute the offense, the other team will make a mistake and we will capitalize. The coaches live by the following quote:
“The secret of success is to do the common things; Uncommonly well” (John D. Rockefeller)