Mannion is back baby

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Mannion is back baby

Post by Maelstrom88 »

What a joke. Did we hire McVay's flunkie?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Mannion is back baby

Post by vikeinmontana »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:22 am What a joke. Did we hire McVay's flunkie?
Are you honestly surprised/upset about this? He's a backup qb. Didn't cost a thing. Been said he has a great mind and works wonderfully with Cousins which is a great relationship to have.

Continuity in the qb room is never bad. Unless of course there was someone specific for the backup position that you feel is way better and would be an equally good fit? :confused:
i'm ready for a beer.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

vikeinmontana wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:51 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:22 am What a joke. Did we hire McVay's flunkie?
Are you honestly surprised/upset about this? He's a backup qb. Didn't cost a thing. Been said he has a great mind and works wonderfully with Cousins which is a great relationship to have.

Continuity in the qb room is never bad. Unless of course there was someone specific for the backup position that you feel is way better and would be an equally good fit? :confused:
As an added bonus, Cousins fragile ego doesn't have to get bruised by any real semblance of competition.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:55 am

As an added bonus, Cousins fragile ego doesn't have to get bruised by any real semblance of competition.
This I can't speak to as I don't know Cousins or anything about his ego or feeling about competition. I have never heard anything about him not wanting competition but I suppose it could be true.

In my experience NFL athletes, and most athletes for that matter, are HIGHLY competitive. And especially the ones that have reached the peak of their craft. But anything is possible I suppose.
i'm ready for a beer.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

vikeinmontana wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:10 am This I can't speak to as I don't know Cousins or anything about his ego or feeling about competition. I have never heard anything about him not wanting competition but I suppose it could be true.

In my experience NFL athletes, and most athletes for that matter, are HIGHLY competitive. And especially the ones that have reached the peak of their craft. But anything is possible I suppose.
I can't find a quote at the moment, but I remember hearing reports that one of the reasons they have never brought in any real competition for Cousins was that he had a problem with it. It could just be conjecture, and it could just be my bad memory. :wink:
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

I'd like to see them offer Manion an assistant QB coaching job and get a more capable backup.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

This narrative about Cousins fragile ego is just made up BS. There's never been any indication that having competition for his starting spot would bother him at all. He fought it out with the very highly drafted RGIII and won the job.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

My first thought. I am so elated over this pick, not.didnt like him before, not now. Rather us the kid out of A&M. If he sucks, no difference.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Yea you got it. His ego was destroyed when he couldn't beat out a top 5 1st round pick in Wash who the owner loved. This comes down to Mannion understanding the system and Mond can't learn the play book quick enough and also sucks to boot. Him and Kirk work well together. The haters will say Kirk can't work with any other player.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

If Kirk goes down you're not winning with any of the backups you can sign in FA right now. Might as well go with the budget friendly option that you know. Especially when cap space is tight.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Cliff wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:57 am If Kirk goes down you're not winning with any of the backups you can sign in FA right now. Might as well go with the budget friendly option that you know. Especially when cap space is tight.
Ding Ding Ding.
i'm ready for a beer.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Cliff wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:57 am If Kirk goes down you're not winning with any of the backups you can sign in FA right now. Might as well go with the budget friendly option that you know. Especially when cap space is tight.
Correct. Mannion is super boring, but he is safe and cheap. It also doesn't mean he is locked in for the year if they decide to go another route later. Certainly nothing to have any angst over.
Damian
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:17 am
vikeinmontana wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:10 am This I can't speak to as I don't know Cousins or anything about his ego or feeling about competition. I have never heard anything about him not wanting competition but I suppose it could be true.

I can't find a quote at the moment, but I remember hearing reports that one of the reasons they have never brought in any real competition for Cousins was that he had a problem with it. It could just be conjecture, and it could just be my bad memory. :wink:
The Cousins haters have also probably complained about a time where Cousins wiped his as# with his left hand instead of his right during his pre-game crap session and how it cost us the game.... there's always a complaint somewhere.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:17 am

Is that why we let Mac Jones go bye bye and then picked another guy later on. We let the star go and picked the bum. That make sense. If Cousins or any other player couldn't compete they never would have made it to the top of the sport. Very few who play this game make it to the NFL. How did Cousins beat out RG III if he laid down and just collected a paycheck. Or was it RG that didn't like competition? To say any athlete that makes it this far won't compete is wrong.