Rick and Zimmer both gone

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Sandpounder27
Rookie

Re: Rick and Zimmer both gone

Post by Sandpounder27 »

Opinions on Mike Borgonzi from KC as GM?

It seems as though he’s been given a decent amount of credit for finding some of KC’ s most recent draft gems and rebuilding their Offensive Line after the Super Bowl.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

My Dream Team...
GM - Mike Borgonzi .... Asst GM KC Chiefs
HC/OC - Joe Lombardi
Asst HC/QB Coach - Joe Brady
Sandpounder27
Rookie

Post by Sandpounder27 »

IIsweet wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:50 pm My Dream Team...
GM - Mike Borgonzi .... Asst GM KC Chiefs
HC/OC - Joe Lombardi
Asst HC/QB Coach - Joe Brady
I am pretty sure I could live with that !!
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:16 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:14 pm
True IF we have some semblance of a healthy defense. However, once Hunter went down we were dead in the water.
So without Hunter the defense couldn't be expected to compete?
He's the star. When healthy one of the best defenders in the NFL. It was a massive blow to lose him. I'm not saying you quit trying to compete without him, but I am saying success is a lot less likely without him.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Pep2Moss wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:22 pm I would go Louis Riddick for GM and Peter LaFleur for HC
I'm all for him. He was great leading a team of underdogs in Dodgeball.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

We might be running a 3-4 defense next season. Or a 3-3-5? Either way,Hunter is a 4-3 DE only.
Saw that a Cousins restructuring, trade Hunter, and release Thielen saves $44 million in cap !
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

IIsweet wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:34 pm We might be running a 3-4 defense next season. Or a 3-3-5? Either way,Hunter is a 4-3 DE only.
Saw that a Cousins restructuring, trade Hunter, and release Thielen saves $44 million in cap !
Restructuring Cousins costs us cap space, it doesn't save it.

Unless you are talking addimg a void year anyway.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:54 pm
StanM wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:32 am PS, a few of us older ones have seen their entire history since 1961. For that reason I especially like the last sentence in the press release. There was some speculation on my part about their willingness to buy out contacts. Obviously they are and this move tells us that they may be willing to find a way to move on at QB. It should be an interesting off season to see who they bring in here and how they handle the former regimes roster.
I think if the Wilfs felt the Cousins signing and extension were good moves Rick isn't fired.
Had nothing to do with wasting a 1st round pick on a CB that played one season? Did a sum bag thing which created bad publicity. I'm sure the Wilf family was celebrating that one. Maybe they threw a party for Rick on picking such a wonderful human being to be part of the community. Had nothing to do with assembling a 2020 defense that was worse than when we were an expansion team. That had nothing to do with it either. Mark Wilf is basically the boots on the ground for the family and this investment. If he felt getting Cousins and extending him wouldn't work he would have said right up front no fing way. We don't want that stiff to be part of our organization. Go back to the drawing board. I'm sure Mark knew what was going on. You act like Mark Wilf is in a gold fish bowl and has no idea that we signed and extended Cousins. The two guys fired report to him. Maybe Mark was pissed that Speilman let the best rookie QB slip through his hands for nothing. Trader down gave our 2nd round pick away for nothing. None of those items off the top of my head impacted the decision. It all came down to Cousins and Mark had no idea they were doing that. He never sees a Viking game. Has no idea who any of the players are. Bottom line Speilman failed to get the talent needed to compete. That goes beyond one player.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

I commented earlier that I thought this season was one of the worst Vikings seasons in a long time. Frustrating. How they played up to their opponents but also down. How they could look like a contender for a couple of series, and then look like the worst team, in the same game. The team really took on the characteristics of Cousins. It was so frustrating to watch.

But now with Rick gone, I think this season couldn't have gone any better. Everything fell into place.

Missing the playoffs in a year where a game above .500 gets you in, sealed the fate for Zimmer. I think what ultimately got Spielman fired was the acquisition of Cousins.

As much as I don't like Cousins, he might have made a difference in the game at GB. Dalvin would have definitely made a difference vs the Rams. Ironically, those two idiots not getting vaccinated cost the Vikings a trip to the playoffs, which got Rick and Zim fired, and Cousins should follow.

What I now hope is they build a front office that treats the QB position as important as it should be. #1 goal should be finding a top shelf QB and build around him.. Blow it up. Clean house. I don't mind living at the bottom for a while.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

808vikingsfan wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:59 am I commented earlier that I thought this season was one of the worst Vikings seasons in a long time. Frustrating. How they played up to their opponents but also down. How they could look like a contender for a couple of series, and then look like the worst team, in the same game. The team really took on the characteristics of Cousins. It was so frustrating to watch.

But now with Rick gone, I think this season couldn't have gone any better. Everything fell into place.

Missing the playoffs in a year where a game above .500 gets you in, sealed the fate for Zimmer. I think what ultimately got Spielman fired was the acquisition of Cousins.

As much as I don't like Cousins, he might have made a difference in the game at GB. Dalvin would have definitely made a difference vs the Rams. Ironically, those two idiots not getting vaccinated cost the Vikings a trip to the playoffs, which got Rick and Zim fired, and Cousins should follow.

What I now hope is they build a front office that treats the QB position as important as it should be. #1 goal should be finding a top shelf QB and build around him.. Blow it up. Clean house. I don't mind living at the bottom for a while.
What are Cousins characteristics that the team took on. Let's see. Our best defensive player Hunter has missed how many games the last two years? That's a characteristic you are talking about? Our FG kicker sucks and it's basically impossible to kick a chip shot FG for the winner which is another Cousins characteristic? Cousins put him in position for the chip shot. The kicker chocked. Cook coughed up the ball against the Bengals on our last drive. Is that another one? Yes Cousins put up stats in a meaningless game against Chicago so did others. I agree with that one. They took on his characteristics. Cook folded the tent in a must win against the Pack with a 1.4 yard average. Do you know how bad that is? He gave up. He was at 5.6 in the meaningless game against the Bears so yes he took on the Cousins characteristics. Our D let a backup bum QB for Dallas beat the crap out of them. Cousins piles stats against bums. Our D missed that characteristic. I assume by top shelf QB you mean a HOF 15 year starter. A Rodgers duplicate. We have been searching for that since 197?. It's been forever. You act like they grow on trees. Maybe Mond will be the guy. He better step it up quickly like right now to get 15 years of HOF play in. Our is being the backup for year 2 the goal? Then starter in year 3 or 4 maybe. Speilman was canned because we lack talent to compete. Start with our latest 1st round CB pick. Is he in jail yet? Having no 2nd round pick. How did that help us? Cleaning house is fine by me. They could cut Cousins and go with our backup or 3rd string or practice squad guy and see how they look. Maybe one will be that HOFer. Well our backup isn't that because several teams have already witnessed it. We all witnessed it. The other two need to get in there first for a few years to see what they are. Who's next the more experienced practice squad guy or the guy who is still learning Kubs play book? He'll need to learn a new one so write next year off as a learning exp. Maybe the Wilf family will go back to the triangle of authority. We'll have 3 GMs/HCs/CAP guys that are a combo of all three positions rolled up into one guy or girl or 3 guys and/or girls I should say. Bottom line they will pick whoever the media is chirping about. You won't see anything out of the blue.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:16 pm
VikingLord wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:16 pm

So without Hunter the defense couldn't be expected to compete?
He's the star. When healthy one of the best defenders in the NFL. It was a massive blow to lose him. I'm not saying you quit trying to compete without him, but I am saying success is a lot less likely without him.
Success less likely I can buy. A drop off in end play and pass rush, I can buy.

But just because of him, ranking what, 31st overall on defense? That I can't buy.

Zimmer and Spielman could have ridden excuses into oblivion, and taken the team and all of us along for the ride. We were well on our way as it was.

I don't know what a new GM and coach might want to do with Hunter. Probably depends on his health more than anything because when healthy he can be very good, but he's another guy they have to take a long, hard look at in terms of their future plans.
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

for GM I would like to add Theo Epstein's name to the list of candidates. I realize he is a baseball guy, but I am convince that the Vikings are a cursed franchise. Look at what Epstein did for the Redsox and Cubs. He has a history of lifting curses so why not?

As far a HC, again, a franchise QB is more important to winning a Superbowl than a HC. Just pick anyone that won't interfere with finding the franchise QB and I am OK with it.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:36 pm
IIsweet wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:34 pm We might be running a 3-4 defense next season. Or a 3-3-5? Either way,Hunter is a 4-3 DE only.

So, you're basically saying that we're stuck with Cousins :hitfan: :|
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Angels Wings wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:26 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:36 pm

So, you're basically saying that we're stuck with Cousins
We are lucky to be stuck with Cousins. We could be stuck with Lock, Darnold, Fields, Mond, or any other crap QB you could name.
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

Any word on who the Vikings are targeting in the GM search? I would think we need to get that done first .