Mr. Clutch Minute Man Kirk Cousins

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Mr. Clutch Minute Man Kirk Cousins

Post by CharVike »

Here is the game that Zim with his early 70s offensive philosophy will have posted to his grave stone. Even Captain Kirk couldn't believe Zim's game plan. “Throwing 10 times is really unique,” Cousins said after the game. “Probably haven’t had a game with that few attempts since probably Pop Warner." Of course the yardage was a joke and the media said Kirk sucks because of limited yards even in victory. But a poster on here said this game was a joke. You need to put teams away so they have no chance to come back.This will never work. He hit it right on the head. We still do the same BS approach to this day. We've been lucky more than anything else to win a few games. Even the Seattle game this year which on the surface looks like an a$$ kicking the Hawks actually shredded our D. Wilson avg 9.3 an attempt which is off the charts and some back they have avg 6.7. That's a terrible performance. Griff had a key sack which helped. There FG kicker had made 37 in a row coming in and 38 after his 1st attempt pulled a Johnson and finally duffed one which set them back a little. That took the wind out of there sails. Matti who is a good back had 112/4.3 avg and ran through some monster holes. Wasn't even touched at times until he hit the secondary. That was our OL dominating the LOS. Little better than Matti's 2.0 avg against the Browns when there wasn't a hole or even a crack to run through. Even Kirk was lucky to some that game and tossed 3 TDs. Jefferson was outstanding. Comes down to the same old story. Control the LOS and you have a good chance of winning. It's been like that since I started watching. The game coming up we will control the LOS on offense because Dallas has no defense. Unfortunately Zim will be in early 70s mode and first play will be a hand off to Cook and this time behind our big guy Darrisaw. Everyone knows this and Dallas will overload the right side of their D. Darrisaw will be smothered by too many bodies and no place to even squeeze an inch out and we will start off in a terrible situation and set the early tone. Then it will be something slick like a miss direction pitch to Conklin for nothing. At that point after two plays it will be 3rd and long. Typical of Zim he will call a quick screen to Cook and hope he can spin his way to a 1st down. That will be a couple yards and punt. Zim will protect his D from the Dallas O and try and pound the ball. This will continue until the game is close to out of reach maybe kicking a short FG and missing one or two before opening it up and letting Cousins try and throw down field. That's how I see Zim's offense and utilizing Cousins. Complete opposite of what should happen.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:51 pm Here is the game that Zim with his early 70s offensive philosophy will have posted to his grave stone. Even Captain Kirk couldn't believe Zim's game plan. “Throwing 10 times is really unique,” Cousins said after the game. “Probably haven’t had a game with that few attempts since probably Pop Warner."
Why are you bringing up a game from 2019, that we won by 16, in Kirk's best season as a Viking as if that means anything? Zimmer did not go into that game planning on throwing only ten times, but Atlanta played like crap, they couldn't stop Cook and the Vikings didn't need Kirk to throw more than 10. It was a fluke.

Just so you know, Kirk is on pace to throw for 71 more attempts than his previous career high 606 that he tied in 2018 (playing in 2018 under Zimmer's 70's game plan). Oh and look at that, we were 22nd in points per drive that year on offense, and we are 22nd this year, were barely above .500 that year despite a top 10 defense, and are .500 this year through 6 games.

Seems like letting Kirk throw a lot sure does work out well for the Vikings. I wonder why we cut back on that the following year, had a top 10 offense and won 10 games? Who needs that?
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:46 am
VikingLord wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:59 am

This has become a "pile on Stumphunter" thread more than a thread about Kirk Cousins.
Any comment that has anything positive about Kirk is by default going to be piling on Stump :shock: . I truly believe Kirk's play so far has been worthy of MVP consideration. I hope we don't need him to be so clutch moving forward. I hope we start winning games without needing that. :govikes: :smilevike: :rock: :banana: :appl: :v):
Fewer drives that end in 0 points, and in particular fewer 3 and outs is the biggest key to that.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

allday1991 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:35 pm Kirk Cousins QB ranks since the start of last season.

6034 yards (6th, more than Aaron Rodgers)

48 passing tds (6th, more than Mathew Stafford)

5 game winning drives (5th, more than Patrick Mahomes)

68.2% completion percentage (8th, higher than Josh Allen)

105.1 passer rating (8th, better than Tom Brady)

The guy is a top 10 quarterback.
Say it louder for the people in back.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:06 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:46 am
Any comment that has anything positive about Kirk is by default going to be piling on Stump :shock: . I truly believe Kirk's play so far has been worthy of MVP consideration. I hope we don't need him to be so clutch moving forward. I hope we start winning games without needing that. :govikes: :smilevike: :rock: :banana: :appl: :v):
Fewer drives that end in 0 points, and in particular fewer 3 and outs is the biggest key to that.
You're a genius. If we score a TD on every drive we are likely to win. Why didn't you add stopping the opposition from scoring at all. Than we could never lose. Any more help you can offer?
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

allday1991 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:35 pm Kirk Cousins QB ranks since the start of last season.

This should be without question, but unfortunately some do question it. They ignore all the stats you provided and diving deep they find other stats that don't support it.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:09 pm

This should be without question, but unfortunately some do question it. They ignore all the stats you provided and diving deep they find other stats that don't support it.
It's more like they use *offensive* stats instead of quarterback stats to try and persuade themselves that somehow they're right in everything.

If there's one thing that's more embarrassing than bring wrong... it's falling under the Dunning-Kruger Effect, "the more one person learns about a subject the more confident they become in said subject, until after a certain degree they realize they do not know nearly as much as they thought they had in said subject."
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:06 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:06 pm

You're a genius. If we score a TD on every drive we are likely to win. Why didn't you add stopping the opposition from scoring at all. Than we could never lose. Any more help you can offer?
We are 22nd in scoring efficiency and have the 4th most 3 and outs. You don't think that is an issue?
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:08 pm
It's more like they use *offensive* stats instead of quarterback stats to try and persuade themselves that somehow they're right in everything.
Imagine ignoring offensive production when it comes to judging a QB's season. Passer rating doesn't help a team win, putting up points does.

8th in the league in rushing, 8th fewest sacks allowed, two pro bowl WRs, and 22nd in scoring. Seems like an offense with a QB who is consistently playing great to me.

I know, I know, the head coach doesn't like to score. He is whispering in Kubiak's ear in the second half, "let's go 3 and out these next couple of drives so my D can be on the field more".
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:04 pm
CharVike wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:51 pm Here is the game that Zim with his early 70s offensive philosophy will have posted to his grave stone. Even Captain Kirk couldn't believe Zim's game plan. “Throwing 10 times is really unique,” Cousins said after the game. “Probably haven’t had a game with that few attempts since probably Pop Warner."
Why are you bringing up a game from 2019, that we won by 16, in Kirk's best season as a Viking as if that means anything? Zimmer did not go into that game planning on throwing only ten times, but Atlanta played like crap, they couldn't stop Cook and the Vikings didn't need Kirk to throw more than 10. It was a fluke.

Just so you know, Kirk is on pace to throw for 71 more attempts than his previous career high 606 that he tied in 2018 (playing in 2018 under Zimmer's 70's game plan). Oh and look at that, we were 22nd in points per drive that year on offense, and we are 22nd this year, were barely above .500 that year despite a top 10 defense, and are .500 this year through 6 games.

Seems like letting Kirk throw a lot sure does work out well for the Vikings. I wonder why we cut back on that the following year, had a top 10 offense and won 10 games? Who needs that?
That's the poster child game for Zim's offense. We attempted 43 passes in QTR 1 and 75 in QTR 4. We are at 40.6% run plays vs 59.4% pass plays. The champs are 32.4 run and 67.6 pass.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:15 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:04 pm

That's the poster child game for Zim's offense. We attempted 43 passes in QTR 1 and 75 in QTR 4. We are at 40.6% run plays vs 59.4% pass plays. The champs are 32.4 run and 67.6 pass.
Yes, and Miami, one of the worst offenses in the NFL, is at #1 with 68%

The Vikings are passing the ball more than GB, Buffalo, AZ and LAR, 4 of the top 5 teams this year. Nice try though. :thumbsup:
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:23 pm Here’s the deal. I’ll talk about Kirk Cousins if I darn well please. I don’t care what you, StumpHunter, or anybody else says or thinks. If you’re tired of talking about Kirk Cousins, then maybe don’t chime in on a thread ABOUT Kirk Cousins.
Be my guest.

This thread had become in large part the sort of tit-for-tat, highly personal and negative talk that destroyed the old UseNet board and I think turns a lot of people off from wanting to come here and certainly contribute here.
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:23 pm As for StumpHunter, cry me a river. Go to any thread where Kirk Cousins is mentioned and see what his comments are. I’ve had the guy insult me when I’ve agreed with him, and on multiple occasions, so I’d say he brings a lot of this sh!t onto himself. Not only that, Stump’s a big boy. I’m guessing he can take care of himself.
For the record, if people were piling on you, or Victorious, or Pondering, or Texas Vike, or anyone else, for that matter, I'd speak up just the same.

I'm not going to defend anyone who insults others, but from what I've seen Stumphunter usually tries to back up what he's saying with data. I actually enjoy engaging with him because A) he usually has a contrarian viewpoint or at the very least, a more sober perspective that makes me take a step back (and that is both when and where the Vikings are doing well and when and where they're not doing so well) and B) he wants the same thing I want which is for the Vikings to win a Superbowl.

In the end we're all fans of the Vikings and want the same thing, so if someone has a different opinion or view on something, I want to hear that even if I don't agree with or understand it. They might know something I don't.

That's why when things get negative and personal, it becomes a real danger to open, honest discussion and people being willing to share viewpoints that make a place like this fun and interesting. I guess I was just trying to call attention to that.
phantom
Backup

Post by phantom »

Yeah Right. Cousins is a flop. Just what is was expecting a 500 team with our upgrade at QB free agent. From what I have notice Kirk gets most of his stats at the end of the game when were behind and the defense is letting us down the field. I believe Tony Dungy calls that end of the game yardage to keep defenders healthy. Not exactly living up to his big contract (or month)
The Northern Goshawk "phantom of the forest"
phantom
Backup

Post by phantom »

Also if Kirk could put the game away during regulation we would not have to go to OT.
phantom
Backup

Post by phantom »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:12 pm

Say it louder for the people in back.
with zero supper bowl wins