MONDay, MONDay, Will he be all we hope he can be

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: MONDay, MONDay, Will it he all we hope he can be

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:51 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:48 pm
Legit starter don't mean the same to all. For example some felt Case was legit including Elway. Even Joe Webb and TJack seemed legit to some. Some feel Kirk is legit others don't. See how grey that gets. We need a HOFer with a Super Bowl win. Basically a clone of Rodgers. I would put that at .000000001% and even that may be too gracious.
Case was quite legit for one season. TJack was OK. Joe Webb was never a legit starter. We don't need a HOFer, but it would be nice to have.
That's what I was getting at. Case to me is a couple game fill in. Anymore than that and it's over. Elway paid big time 16 mill a year for that backup and basically was beat for that mistake. The year we made it to the NFC Champ game with him the media was ignoring us. I'm not an expert but I thought we would never make it that far with a stiff QB. Then when he drove us down the field and bingo up 7-0 I thought this goes against everything I thought it took. This will be a cakewalk and was basically gift wrapped for us playing against a backup stiff who was questioning if he really wanted to play football anymore before the season. Little did I know our D packed it in starting from the 2nd half the previous game. Foles looked like rookie Marino. Case throws up the pick six and at the point the curtain closed quickly. Pick six in a playoff game is a game ender. When Rutland had the pick six against the 49ers in 1987 that was the end of that team. Same thing happened to the SeaHawks last year when Wilson tossed up the pick six. That's a tough deal to overcome. I'm sure it has been done over the last 50+ years but usually the gig is up at that point. Takes everything out of a team. If a team don't have a HOFer you better have a great D and dam good OL and skill players. You don't need an 85 Bears D but you can't play like an expansion team either like we did last year. But you still need a QB that has shown the ability to pass effectively. A Joe Webb gives a team a zero shot because he can't pass very well.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: MONDay, MONDay, Will he be all we hope he can be

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:56 am
VikingTom wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:52 am K Nwangwu in particular may have a leg up due to his potential as a more electric return guy.
I'm still scratching my head about how Nwangwu wasn't more productive in college given his athletic abilities. He seems like a guy who should have gotten the chance to be a featured back in college, and yet he didn't stand out statistically. Did his coaches just not give him the chance? Or was he given the chance and he's just a guy who looks good in terms of measurables but it doesn't translate to the field?

Hopefully he can demonstrate he was just overlooked. I was surprised the Vikings spent a draft pick on him given the lack of any pre-draft hype around him and thought they could easily have targeted him as a rookie free agent signing. Someone in the scouting department must have really liked what he saw when he went down to Iowa to scout.
Bienemy was as they say pounding the table for him. When assistant coaches pound the table we use 4th round picks.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:07 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:02 am
If you watch him in college, Mond is a scrambler in the mold of Mahomes, Watson and Rodgers. He isn't a running QB, just a mobile one.
Mond ran for 1600 yards in 4 seasons at A&M. He's not a run first QB but he runs a lot compared to say Cousins for example. My best guess is his running ways will be less in the NFL than in college so your take as I already knew is pretty accurate.
Moving this to the proper thread.

Mond actually ran the ball less than Mahomes did in college most of his years starting, but he was still asked to run too much imo, at A&M. I don't think they used him right there at all and fits the Vikings' scheme of PA perfectly. Hopefully he isn't a QB who requires PA to succeed though, those guys tend to limit what an offense can do.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:34 pm
VikingLord wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:56 am

I'm still scratching my head about how Nwangwu wasn't more productive in college given his athletic abilities. He seems like a guy who should have gotten the chance to be a featured back in college, and yet he didn't stand out statistically. Did his coaches just not give him the chance? Or was he given the chance and he's just a guy who looks good in terms of measurables but it doesn't translate to the field?

Hopefully he can demonstrate he was just overlooked. I was surprised the Vikings spent a draft pick on him given the lack of any pre-draft hype around him and thought they could easily have targeted him as a rookie free agent signing. Someone in the scouting department must have really liked what he saw when he went down to Iowa to scout.
Bienemy was as they say pounding the table for him. When assistant coaches pound the table we use 4th round picks.
Something I neglected to mention when I replied to your post VikingLord. Not only is Nwangwu athletically gifted he is also academically/intellectually gifted.

Nwangwu Named Big 12 Co-Scholar-Athlete of the Year

Kene Nwangwu
IRVING, Texas – Iowa State running back/kickoff returner Kene Nwangwu was named the 2020 Big 12 Football Co-Scholar-Athlete of the Year, announced today by the league office.

Nwangwu is the first Cyclone football player to pick up the award.

The redshirt senior from Frisco, Texas had a fantastic final season as a Cyclone, ranking seventh nationally (minimum 10 returns) in kickoff return average at 29.1. He has five returns of 30+ yards on the year, including two over 65 yards that aided ISU comeback victories over Oklahoma and Baylor.

Nwangwu's career 26.85 kickoff return average is No. 1 in Iowa State history and is ninth nationally among active FBS players.

The senior has also been a terrific backup to the nation's leading rusher Breece Hall. Nwangwu has rushed for 284 yards and four touchdowns, averaging 5.7 yards per carry.

Nwangwu is a three-time Academic All-Big 12 First Team selection. He earned his degree from Iowa State, maintaining a 3.76 GPA in Mechanical Engineering.

Big 12 Scholar Athlete of the Year
The Big 12 Conference established its Scholar-Athlete of the Year Award in 2012-13. A recipient is named in each conference-sponsored sport. Every Big 12 institution nominates one individual per sport with the winners selected by a vote of the league head coaches for that sport, who are not allowed to vote for their own student-athletes. Scholar-Athlete of the Year nominees must be a junior or senior (athletic and academic standing), have a cumulative grade point average of 3.20 or higher, participate in at least 20 percent of the team's scheduled contests and have a minimum of one year in residence at the institution.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:38 am Something I neglected to mention when I replied to your post VikingLord. Not only is Nwangwu athletically gifted he is also academically/intellectually gifted.
I watched a post-draft interview he did on vikings.com. He was very well spoken and seemed to have a great attitude, plus he was just grateful to have been drafted. He kind of reminded me of the attitude I saw when I watched Mond's interview on vikings.com after the draft. Both seemed to be ready to get to work and contribute in any way they can.

While I still think Nwangwu would have flown under the radar and could have likely been signed as a UDFA, I'm happy he's a Viking and hope that he will get on the field as a returner if nothing else.
VikingTom
Starter

Post by VikingTom »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:45 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:38 am Something I neglected to mention when I replied to your post VikingLord. Not only is Nwangwu athletically gifted he is also academically/intellectually gifted.
I watched a post-draft interview he did on vikings.com. He was very well spoken and seemed to have a great attitude, plus he was just grateful to have been drafted. He kind of reminded me of the attitude I saw when I watched Mond's interview on vikings.com after the draft. Both seemed to be ready to get to work and contribute in any way they can.

While I still think Nwangwu would have flown under the radar and could have likely been signed as a UDFA, I'm happy he's a Viking and hope that he will get on the field as a returner if nothing else.
I think Nwangwu has an excellent shot at making the team. I believe he will be given every chance. Vikes resigned Abdullah, but I believe the Vikings want one of their rookies to step up. I think Ihmir Smith-Marsette also has a shot at return duties.

In a perfect world, Ihmir Smith-Marsette would push to be the 3rd WR. Justin Jefferson, and Adam Thielen are a pretty good pair. Given how the Vikings run their offense with two TEs the #3 WR does not see a lot of playing time. Unless one of the starters gets nicked up and misses a few games. Which is why someone besides Beebe, or B. Johnson needs to step up. Question is can one of these guys do that. Dan Chisena, K.J. Osborn, Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Myron Mitchell, Whop Philyor, Blake Proehl. I think Ihmir Smith-Marsette is a possibility.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

VikingTom wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:43 am
VikingLord wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:45 pm

I think Nwangwu has an excellent shot at making the team. I believe he will be given every chance. Vikes resigned Abdullah, but I believe the Vikings want one of their rookies to step up. I think Ihmir Smith-Marsette also has a shot at return duties.

In a perfect world, Ihmir Smith-Marsette would push to be the 3rd WR. Justin Jefferson, and Adam Thielen are a pretty good pair. Given how the Vikings run their offense with two TEs the #3 WR does not see a lot of playing time. Unless one of the starters gets nicked up and misses a few games. Which is why someone besides Beebe, or B. Johnson needs to step up. Question is can one of these guys do that. Dan Chisena, K.J. Osborn, Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Myron Mitchell, Whop Philyor, Blake Proehl. I think Ihmir Smith-Marsette is a possibility.
It looks like DeDe Westbrook is gonna be our #3, since he's working out for us tomorrow.