How should the team spend the almost 15 million in cap remaining?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Spend 12 million how?

Free Agent: explain
43%
O'Neill
43%
Hunter
14%
Smith
No votes

Total votes: 7

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: How should the team spend the almost 15 million in cap remaining?

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

CharVike wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:22 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:24 am

Starters that don't have a contract on defense next season:
Smith
Barr
Breeland
Peterson
Mack

That is 5 starters who could be gone next season. On top of Richardson who is also on a 1 year deal. The last time we lost 5 starters on defense it went from top 10 to bottom 5.

Good news is that Hunter will remain on the team if he has a good season, it will just cost the Vikings more to keep him now. I think he would have to have a sub 7 sacks this year and look pretty bad to get cut. I think they will work something out with Smith too if he has another solid season, more because he is a fan favorite than because it is a good football move.

The rest of those guys are probably gone.

As far as this season goes, I am very nervous about only having 1 proven quality starter on the Oline and really wish they would try to upgrade with a cheap vet with some of that 15 million. I am a little surprised by how positive people are about the oline with how many unknowns there are.

I expect the oline will be the goat once again this year, with every loss blamed on their play.
That's were the money needs to go then. Don't wait act now the clock is ticking. Trade for some backup guys. They will be better than our starters. Offer Mond for a top guy. Plenty of teams need QBs. It could be fixed easily with the found CAP space but Rick only knows one way. That gets back to tunnel vision. Don't forget we are talking about trader down Ricks draft picks. They need to start even if they blow. That will help his ego and draft grade. Bradbury is still starting with nothing behind him and it don't get much worse than him.
I dont have a clue what you've been smoking lately but whatever it is, it must be damn good.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:44 am
CharVike wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:22 am
That's were the money needs to go then. Don't wait act now the clock is ticking. Trade for some backup guys. They will be better than our starters. Offer Mond for a top guy. Plenty of teams need QBs. It could be fixed easily with the found CAP space but Rick only knows one way. That gets back to tunnel vision. Don't forget we are talking about trader down Ricks draft picks. They need to start even if they blow. That will help his ego and draft grade. Bradbury is still starting with nothing behind him and it don't get much worse than him.
I dont have a clue what you've been smoking lately but whatever it is, it must be damn good.
Make a deal with the Bucs for there backup G that started in the Super Bowl. He's better than what we currently have right now. Trade a 7th rounder ah wait that's to valuable make it a 5th rounder and the deal is done. Throw Dozier in also just to be nice. If they say no tell them to bad he is yours. That's one slot fixed. That didn't take long.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:08 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:44 am

Make a deal with the Bucs for there backup G that started in the Super Bowl. He's better than what we currently have right now. Trade a 7th rounder ah wait that's to valuable make it a 5th rounder and the deal is done. Throw Dozier in also just to be nice. If they say no tell them to bad he is yours. That's one slot fixed. That didn't take long.
Why would the Bucs trade their backup guard to us if he's good? Please try to make some sense. Also maybe to you these 7th round draft pick jokes are funny. I think they might have been funny 2 or 3 years ago.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:23 pm
CharVike wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:08 pm
Why would the Bucs trade their backup guard to us if he's good? Please try to make some sense. Also maybe to you these 7th round draft pick jokes are funny. I think they might have been funny 2 or 3 years ago.
That was a bad joke I won't use it again. I used that as an example. Every player outside of a QB is available. It's a backup player. I was using that as an example. Check what teams have that we can trade for. We are attempting to build a Super Bowl contender. Why not fix the OL. The draft picks are fine. But I'm not as confident as some that these guys can step in day 1 and be an average player. I fully realize that not all players are the same. Our guy Kalil was able to step in and play great day 1. Pro Bowl player. He was the best LT in the draft and was picked very high. That's the key I've been trying to stress. Darrisaw could be a Kalil which would be a stretch big time or he could be Bradbury. More than likely he will fall somewhere in between his 1st year but will need time to get up to speed. You won't see too many Super Bowl contenders enter the season that way especially LT. But I'm sure it has happened. If I was the GM I wouldn't go in like that. I would do everything possible to get this OL upgraded for this proposed Campionship run. Yes a QB should be able to play great under pressure. I'm sure some and Speilman feel that way. Hello no QB performs to there best under pressure including the HOFer Rodgers. Our guy isn't close to a HOFer and is a stick in the mud. He needs a very good OL to have a legitimate chance. Of course every one of these young guys could play great this year. That's certainly a possibility. But I wouldn't put all my eggs into that basket like Speilman is. Obviously he feels confident about what he has done to fix it which is great. I'm not as confident and I was hoping that in my 50th year of watching he would have taken a full swing.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

CharVike wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:52 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:23 pm
That was a bad joke I won't use it again. I used that as an example. Every player outside of a QB is available. It's a backup player. I was using that as an example. Check what teams have that we can trade for. We are attempting to build a Super Bowl contender. Why not fix the OL. The draft picks are fine. But I'm not as confident as some that these guys can step in day 1 and be an average player. I fully realize that not all players are the same. Our guy Kalil was able to step in and play great day 1. Pro Bowl player. He was the best LT in the draft and was picked very high. That's the key I've been trying to stress. Darrisaw could be a Kalil which would be a stretch big time or he could be Bradbury. More than likely he will fall somewhere in between his 1st year but will need time to get up to speed. You won't see too many Super Bowl contenders enter the season that way especially LT. But I'm sure it has happened. If I was the GM I wouldn't go in like that. I would do everything possible to get this OL upgraded for this proposed Campionship run. Yes a QB should be able to play great under pressure. I'm sure some and Speilman feel that way. Hello no QB performs to there best under pressure including the HOFer Rodgers. Our guy isn't close to a HOFer and is a stick in the mud. He needs a very good OL to have a legitimate chance. Of course every one of these young guys could play great this year. That's certainly a possibility. But I wouldn't put all my eggs into that basket like Speilman is. Obviously he feels confident about what he has done to fix it which is great. I'm not as confident and I was hoping that in my 50th year of watching he would have taken a full swing.
One last thing. Most if not all pointed out that Speilman made a great trade by moving down and getting 2 3rds. I agree with those people. I jumped off the cart and was pissed because Speilman passed on a guy that I really wanted at 14. I didn't handle that one very well. I'm sure others have been pissed also about some moves but they let it go fairly quickly. Hopefully his moves have put us in position to make a run. Once in the playoffs all a team needs to do is get hot and that has been proven over and over the last X number of years. We do have some nice weapons on offense so we should be able to score. Our defense has the talent to be very good and getting Hunter back is the key to our D. He's a fantastic player and a great pick by Speilman. Zim has proven he can build a very good D and he has a chip on his shoulder this year. He was embarrassed by last years performance. He has pride and won't let that happen again under his watch.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:12 am
CharVike wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:52 pm
One last thing. Most if not all pointed out that Speilman made a great trade by moving down and getting 2 3rds. I agree with those people. I jumped off the cart and was pissed because Speilman passed on a guy that I really wanted at 14. I didn't handle that one very well. I'm sure others have been pissed also about some moves but they let it go fairly quickly. Hopefully his moves have put us in position to make a run. Once in the playoffs all a team needs to do is get hot and that has been proven over and over the last X number of years. We do have some nice weapons on offense so we should be able to score. Our defense has the talent to be very good and getting Hunter back is the key to our D. He's a fantastic player and a great pick by Speilman. Zim has proven he can build a very good D and he has a chip on his shoulder this year. He was embarrassed by last years performance. He has pride and won't let that happen again under his watch.
You're coming around. I appreciate the sincerity of this post. Is the player we passed on at 14 Mac Jones? Reports are that he is doing very poorly at Patriots camp. It's still early of course.
I agree with what you have to say about both our O and D. We have the talent to put us in the mix for winning it all.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:17 am
CharVike wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:12 am
You're coming around. I appreciate the sincerity of this post. Is the player we passed on at 14 Mac Jones? Reports are that he is doing very poorly at Patriots camp. It's still early of course.
I agree with what you have to say about both our O and D. We have the talent to put us in the mix for winning it all.
Yes. But I'm over it. The QB position is a tough one to figure out. Mac Jones more than likely will struggle because he wasn't a four year starter and he played on a stellar team. He might be the biggest question mark of all of them. Many pointed these things out. I just thought taking the risk was worth it. That don't matter at this point. We will go in with what we have and if Zim get's this D going we will play good. One other thing he did was he made sure we had great depth. You can create many packages having that and keeping guys fresh. At CB we are as deep as you can get. Cam will probably ride the pine which is ok. He had the tough lesson last year. If someone gets nicked he can help out. Hopefully things shack out.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:33 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:17 am

Yes. But I'm over it. The QB position is a tough one to figure out. Mac Jones more than likely will struggle because he wasn't a four year starter and he played on a stellar team. He might be the biggest question mark of all of them. Many pointed these things out. I just thought taking the risk was worth it. That don't matter at this point. We will go in with what we have and if Zim get's this D going we will play good. One other thing he did was he made sure we had great depth. You can create many packages having that and keeping guys fresh. At CB we are as deep as you can get. Cam will probably ride the pine which is ok. He had the tough lesson last year. If someone gets nicked he can help out. Hopefully things shack out.
By riding the pine if you mean not starting I agree. However, I think he will get a lot of snaps. I think he had a good rookie year.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:38 am
By riding the pine if you mean not starting I agree. However, I think he will get a lot of snaps. I think he had a good rookie year.
Keep the name Harrison Hand in mind as this season progresses. People are excited about Alexander coming back but Hand is the player I think wins the starting slot CB job and is going to flash throughout the season.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:37 pm
Keep the name Harrison Hand in mind as this season progresses. People are excited about Alexander coming back but Hand is the player I think wins the starting slot CB job and is going to flash throughout the season.
Hand is the star of minicamp. That usually doesn't amount to anything.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I wasn't knocking the kid. He had a good year. Playing CB as a rookie is about as tough as it gets. Plus we had no pass rush which even makes it more difficult. It's hard to play in the NFL as a rookie. Just like it's hard to play college ball as a true freshman.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:24 am
fiestavike wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:00 pm Rolling salary over by front loading a young guys contract with available cap is a smart move.

I think both Hunter and Smith could be gone as soon as next year. If the Vikings can't get it done with Cousins this year, I think they blow the thing up. Old man Harrison and Uber expensive Danielle Hunter might not figure into those plans.
Starters that don't have a contract on defense next season:
Smith
Barr
Breeland
Peterson
Mack

That is 5 starters who could be gone next season. On top of Richardson who is also on a 1 year deal. The last time we lost 5 starters on defense it went from top 10 to bottom 5.

Good news is that Hunter will remain on the team if he has a good season, it will just cost the Vikings more to keep him now. I think he would have to have a sub 7 sacks this year and look pretty bad to get cut. I think they will work something out with Smith too if he has another solid season, more because he is a fan favorite than because it is a good football move.

The rest of those guys are probably gone.

As far as this season goes, I am very nervous about only having 1 proven quality starter on the Oline and really wish they would try to upgrade with a cheap vet with some of that 15 million. I am a little surprised by how positive people are about the oline with how many unknowns there are.

I expect the oline will be the goat once again this year, with every loss blamed on their play.
Xavier Woods is also a starter on defense who will be a FA next year. But I’d imagine Dantzler will start ahead of Breeland or Alexander. So likely 6 starters as Richardson will definitely be starting at 3-tech.