Round 2 targets

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Round 2 targets

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:20 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:08 pm Would Gallimore be better than what we already have? I think he's considered a late 2nd early 3rd draft prospect. Probably not available at 105 which is where I'm considering Hurts. Maybe 89. As far as Morgan goes he is an interesting prospect outside of the top 5 QBs ranked in this years draft. I would have no problem with a 5th round pick for him.
Here is what WalterFootball https://www.walterfootball.com/draft2020DT.php says about him:
Team sources say Gallimore is an athletic tackle with some twitch. He is a penetrating disruptor who would fit best in a 4-3 as a three-technique who could also play some nose tackle. Some evaluators have compared Gallimore to former Buccaneer Booger McFarland or current Falcons defensive tackle Grady Jarrett. They say teams would want more pass-rush ability out of Gallimore to become an every-down starter in the NFL, so they see him more as a second-day prospect in the 2020 NFL Draft.
If you watch his college highlights, he is exactly that. He is very athletic and if he gets good coaching he could be a very disruptive interior presence and a playmaker in the middle of the defensive line.

I don't expect Gallimore to last past the Vikings 2nd rounder. I wouldn't be upset if Spielman took him at #25.
As of right now I would be incredibly upset if we drafted him at 25. We have plenty of DTs that don't get to the QB. Why add another. Give me Davis or Elliott in the second round. I still would not be surprised at all if Gallimore lasts until pick 58.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:01 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:55 pm

I do not need to watch it since I am a Sooners fan, I still want Hurts :rock:
I went to college in Norman and while I'm a Sooner's fan I don't want him as I don't think he has potential to be an impact starter unless the Vikings want to use him similar to how the Saints use Hill. In my opinion, if they want a guy who can run and throw they should draft Lynn Bowden out of Kentucky because he can play WR and return kicks.

Past the big 3 QBs in this draft the only other guy I would be interested in at any point is James Morgan. Morgan is a classic pocket passer who has a lot of development potential if he's allowed to sit and learn behind an established starter. I don't know what his ceiling is. It might not be more than a journeyman, but of that group behind the top 3, he can probably be had in the 5-6 round and doesn't come with much risk or expectation.

How about instead of Hurts the Vikings take Gallimore and call it even? :D
Yeah, Gallimore would be good, I want Murray too but linebacker is not a big need unfortunately, can we just have an all Sooners draft so we can be happy? :lol: It is nice to see another Sooners fan here! Boomer Sooner! :rock:
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:37 pm Jackson's rookie year in the NFL he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his passes. I think Hurts is worth a shot. He managed to get the ball to CeeDee Lamb.
I don't know... when I watch Hurts I see a QB who is more runner than thrower. Come to think of it, that is also how I still view Jackson, so maybe the parallel is valid in that case. Still, I wouldn't count on another Jackson to emerge despite the similarities, plus I think NFL defensive coordinators will figure Jackson out soon enough. Those types of QBs usually have early success precisely because what they do is so unusual. It takes time to adjust to it, but once adjusted, life for those running QBs gets a lot harder. I expect Jackson's career to largely follow that same trajectory unless he also adjusts and becomes more of a pass-first QB who uses his athleticism to buy time to throw and not to simply try for a highlight reel run.

Let's put it this way - if the Vikings take Hurts in the 5th round I won't be upset. I just won't be particularly happy about it because I don't see Hurts making it as a pro QB. I predict he'll either be on another team when his rookie contract runs out or he'll be out of the league, and if that is the case, the Vikings would be better off not using any pick on him and instead focusing on a player they believe can not only make the active roster, but even become a contributor on game day.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:47 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:37 pm Jackson's rookie year in the NFL he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his passes. I think Hurts is worth a shot. He managed to get the ball to CeeDee Lamb.
I don't know... when I watch Hurts I see a QB who is more runner than thrower. Come to think of it, that is also how I still view Jackson, so maybe the parallel is valid in that case. Still, I wouldn't count on another Jackson to emerge despite the similarities, plus I think NFL defensive coordinators will figure Jackson out soon enough. Those types of QBs usually have early success precisely because what they do is so unusual. It takes time to adjust to it, but once adjusted, life for those running QBs gets a lot harder. I expect Jackson's career to largely follow that same trajectory unless he also adjusts and becomes more of a pass-first QB who uses his athleticism to buy time to throw and not to simply try for a highlight reel run.

Let's put it this way - if the Vikings take Hurts in the 5th round I won't be upset. I just won't be particularly happy about it because I don't see Hurts making it as a pro QB. I predict he'll either be on another team when his rookie contract runs out or he'll be out of the league, and if that is the case, the Vikings would be better off not using any pick on him and instead focusing on a player they believe can not only make the active roster, but even become a contributor on game day.
Or he could be the next Lamar Jackson. :lol:
Punkoholic
Rookie

Post by Punkoholic »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:06 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:01 pm
I wouldn't mind us drafting Hurts in the third.
Yeah, I want Hurts too but who is the 3rd quarterback currently or they need to fill that in? I do not think Vikings will draft Hurts since they signed Mannion but I hope to be wrong
He was only signed to a reserve/future deal back in January by as of now, Jake Browning. Does this guy have any potential?
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Punkoholic wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:17 pm

Yeah, I want Hurts too but who is the 3rd quarterback currently or they need to fill that in? I do not think Vikings will draft Hurts since they signed Mannion but I hope to be wrong
He was only signed to a reserve/future deal back in January by as of now, Jake Browning. Does this guy have any potential?
He does have potential, he had 43 touchdowns and 9 interceptions but after his shoulder injury, he did not return to the same player he once was
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:25 pm
Punkoholic wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:17 pm
He does have potential, he had 43 touchdowns and 9 interceptions but after his shoulder injury, he did not return to the same player he once was
Browning was one of the most highly rated HS QBs ever. He was the Pac 12 player of the year in his sophomore season and still holds most of the conferences QB records including most career wins. The 43 and 9 I believe was that sophomore year. Randy summed him up pretty well, but I wanted to add some details. As of now it seems unlikely he will ever fully recover from his injury. There was a lot of media hype that he got his arm and velocity back, but that hasn't proved to be true so far.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:41 pm

Watch this and then tell me if you still want Hurts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvDkDnCjLos
Ick.

The commentator is funny, though.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I would use a 3rd on Hurts... Maybe?
Comparisons to Jackson are terrible. Jackson was a freak at Louisville. His speed is incredible, has a rocket of an arm, but his vision is off the charts. He has incredible pocket awareness. He's like the neighborhood playground Stud !!! He's just doing it against other freaks of nature.
Hurts to me is going to be good, if in the right system, which could be said for anyone. I do not see anything special in him, but he could be good in a spread. NFL windows are tight and this is where he will struggle. The intermediate pass will defeat him, IMO.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Jake Browning does not have NFL potential. His stats his sophomore season were a direct benefactor of the talent around him. 32 of those TDs were to NFL players in John Ross and Dante Pettis. It's no coincidence why his numbers tanked. He never had arm strength or velocity in the first place.

I live in Seattle and am a Huskies fan, if that matters. I've seen plenty of him.

As for the thread question, I'm thinking they go OL or receiver in the 2nd. Tyler Biadasz out of Wisconsin or maybe an OT, if any of the good ones slip. I like Michael Pittman Jr, WR out of USC and could also see an edge rusher in this spot if they don't go Epenesa or Gross-Matos in the 1st. I'd have my eye on Alton Robinson out of Syracuse. Athletic freak kinda like Hunter, but a bit shorter. Obviously, the coaching staff and Andre Patterson have shown they can coach up raw talent, so I think Robinson can come in and cause some havoc on passing downs.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I have a favorite OL story. You should look him up.
Robert Hunt of Louisiana.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

PacificNorseWest wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:35 pm Jake Browning does not have NFL potential. His stats his sophomore season were a direct benefactor of the talent around him. 32 of those TDs were to NFL players in John Ross and Dante Pettis. It's no coincidence why his numbers tanked. He never had arm strength or velocity in the first place.

I live in Seattle and am a Huskies fan, if that matters. I've seen plenty of him.

As for the thread question, I'm thinking they go OL or receiver in the 2nd. Tyler Biadasz out of Wisconsin or maybe an OT, if any of the good ones slip. I like Michael Pittman Jr, WR out of USC and could also see an edge rusher in this spot if they don't go Epenesa or Gross-Matos in the 1st. I'd have my eye on Alton Robinson out of Syracuse. Athletic freak kinda like Hunter, but a bit shorter. Obviously, the coaching staff and Andre Patterson have shown they can coach up raw talent, so I think Robinson can come in and cause some havoc on passing downs.
The talent around Burrow and Tua is much greater than Browning ever had. So they must not have NFL potential either. He had potential, but that went out the window with the injury.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:01 pm
PacificNorseWest wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:35 pm Jake Browning does not have NFL potential. His stats his sophomore season were a direct benefactor of the talent around him. 32 of those TDs were to NFL players in John Ross and Dante Pettis. It's no coincidence why his numbers tanked. He never had arm strength or velocity in the first place.

The talent around Burrow and Tua is much greater than Browning ever had. So they must not have NFL potential either. He had potential, but that went out the window with the injury.
Right, let's go the defensive route. :lol: C'mon...I watched just about every game he played at UW, but go with the straw man argument, I guess.

Browning never had the arm talent or the talent alone that Tua and Burrow have, so your straw man argument goes out the window off the bat. Eason is way more talented than Browning without the same numbers and nowhere near the production. It's all in the film.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

PacificNorseWest wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:07 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:01 pm
Right, let's go the defensive route. :lol: C'mon...I watched just about every game he played at UW, but go with the straw man argument, I guess.

Browning never had the arm talent or the talent alone that Tua and Burrow have, so your straw man argument goes out the window off the bat. Eason is way more talented than Browning without the same numbers and nowhere near the production. It's all in the film.
I was going to edit my original reply and I realize you have more experience with Browning than me. However, a couple questions. Who was the Pac 12 MVP? Was it Ross? Was it Delpit? or was it Browning?
You dismiss Browning having one of the best seasons ever because he had talent around him. Tua and Burrow had more. So it all comes down to film. Browning had nothing going for him despite having one of the greatest seasons and careers for a QB in college football history. I find that hard to believe.
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

Ezra Cleveland should be available in the second ,and may slip to the third round. Leaving Boise State after his junior year is projected as a left tackle with some comparison to Andrew Whitworth. Another junior is Isaiah Wilson who can play either tackle position, but I doubt makes it out of the first round. Austin Jackson, USC will be there for us in first round, but would be a steal if we could get him in second. Houston's Josh Jones played left tackle in college , but projects as a right tackle in NFL, will be drafted late first or early second. Matt Peart, out of U Conn, is a sleeper prospect who should make it to the third round, a 4 year starter in college. And Charlie Heck, North Carolina, who's father Andy Heck played in the NFL and is the current O line coach for Andy Reid in Kansas City. He had a decent combine , and should be there in the third or even the fourth round.